• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uhh, so how does the ricochet fireball platforming thing work? Like I did it, after fiddling around with mashing the x button, pressing the x button when I hit each wall and different directional inputs but I don't know how to do it consistently. If this is a core mechanic it's not explained well, at all. I get one ricochet, then fall back down.

I just played the demo but holding the button down seemed to do the trick in confined spaces.

epmode

Uhh, so how does the ricochet fireball platforming thing work? Like I did it, after fiddling around with mashing the x button, pressing the x button when I hit each wall and different directional inputs but I don't know how to do it consistently. If this is a core mechanic it's not explained well, at all. I get one ricochet, then fall back down.

It's a straight ricochet attack. it can be targeted and it lasts longer if you hold down the button. The range is actually pretty short but connecting with a wall or enemy resets the range. It's possible to bounce through low clearance tunnel areas very quickly by holding the button down. Also, hitting an enemy with the attack launches you straight up as it resets the attack so enemies can be used as platforms.

Seems like a pretty good game so far. I really like the ricochet move.

It is a skill based game so the farther you wait the harder it will be to break into without getting slaughtered.

For every single game that people have said this about, i've found it's never been true lol.

Steam xmas sale is looking great: Chivalry, Retro City Rampage, Borderlands 2, FTL, Mark of The Ninja, Torchlight II

Aaron

For every single game that people have said this about, i've found it's never been true lol.

Steam xmas sale is looking great: Chivalry, Retro City Rampage, Borderlands 2, FTL, Mark of The Ninja, Torchlight II
Every one of those games, aside from BL2, will be in some indie bundle at some point.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Beat The Darkness II. Enjoyed the combat, both the gunplay and melee stuff, as well as the audiowork - well, maybe less so the music, which I've already forgotten, but the voice acting was top notch and sound effects were nice and punchy. Campaign was solid, but could've used more enemy variety. Boss fights were welcome even if they weren't very good, just because they broke things up a bit. Pretty easy game too, which isn't surprising, but always lame. I was basically cruising through everything with little resistance. Executions seemed very strong. Merely okay all in all, but worth the $6 and whatever hours it took to complete. Played on Don difficulty with a 360 pad, no aim assist, no HUD.

Not sure what to focus on next!

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences

Angle yourself, then hold the button down and you'll just bounce all the way up the corridor. Later on you'll have to aim yourself at the beginning of pinball-ish sequences and do the same. It's pretty awesome once you get used to it. For general play it's just used to launch yourself in whichever direction you press, break blocks & kill enemies, as well as automatically switching you to the light world every time you use it.

SparkTR said:
Any impressions of Giana Sisters? I've heard good things, somebody should do an OT.

Easily one of the best platformers I've played. Difficulty ramps up fairly quickly so you have to get good at launching/ricocheting, spinning/floating and knowing that these will switch you between the light and dark worlds respectively upon use. You can also instantly switch manually to make platforms and deadly environmental objects appear/disappear and you'll find yourself having to think ahead quite a bit, because the game doesn't always let you go at your own pace. Lots of reflexes and timing involved in some spots, but checkpoints are generous on normal difficulty. Like I said before, the way the environment (and even the music) changes instantly but fluidly is so well done.

camerooni

Neo Member
I don't know what this is but I bought it.

Wouldn't have it any other way ;)

Speaking of stuff that is selling.. my Steam is telling me that the Bioshock Infinity pre-order is selling really well.. but then it's stupidly overpriced here so I think it's all the us/uk/south america sales that are doing it.. either that or my faith in the au people in 'gettin a good deal' was misplaced.. You haven't bought that have you?

If they're going to have regional stores.. they should really have regional 'top sellers' lists.. or at least a breakdown flash thingie (I'm talking sexy map) of what is selling in what major regions.. I know the us/euro top sellers can be quite different sometimes and it's something I'd like to see more out of steam. Maybe in the 'stats' area or something..

either that or my faith in the au people in 'gettin a good deal' was misplaced.. You haven't bought that have you?

People paying high Australian prices is a very good thing. If they stopped being stupid, they might crack down on the other places we can still buy them even more.

Tomodachi

Deadlight page is up:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/211400/

Awesome game. Well deserved!

Looks awesome! The Road - The Game. Looking forward to playing this, wishlisted.

Bought some stuff from the Valve Store with friends and the items are pretty cool. A friend bought the Portal 2 messenger bag, and if anyone has been eyeing it from some time, get it. It looks great.

A01043_Main.png

Woah, this looks amazing too. So jealous.

EDIT: can we get actual pics of the stuff you guys bought in the pick-ups thread? :D

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Speaking of stuff that is selling.. my Steam is telling me that the Bioshock Infinity pre-order is selling really well.. but then it's stupidly overpriced here so I think it's all the us/uk/south america sales that are doing it.. either that or my faith in the au people in 'gettin a good deal' was misplaced.. You haven't bought that have you?

Not yet!

BioInf will have to wait until after the Halloween Sale.

Tomodachi

Just launched Driver: SF, haven't launched a Ubi game since June. What the hell happened to uPlay? Good Lord, most invasive thing ever. Didn't they say they would quit all this crap?
It even has a built-in store now. I don't want to live on this planet etc.

Tess3ract

Banned
It is a skill based game so the farther you wait the harder it will be to break into without getting slaughtered.

So if it's your kind of game, I'd go for, get it for $18.75 from someone in the US.

I'll stop promoting the game now, lol.
I'm in the USA and its 25$.

Its fun but not really worth more than $10 for this type of game. Or free imho

1-D_FTW

Just launched Driver: SF, haven't launched a Ubi game since June. What the hell happened to uPlay? Good Lord, most invasive thing ever. Didn't they say they would quit all this crap?

I've definitely had a rant or two about uplay. Honestly, I have to say I find Origin (as long as the game isn't browser web based like BF3) to be preferable to Ubi. When you're < Origin and GFWL you've failed the litmus test and need to go back to the drawing board. Cause your product is fail.

Ledsen

I've definitely had a rant or two about uplay. Honestly, I have to say I find Origin (as long as the game isn't browser web based like BF3) to be preferable to Ubi. When you're < Origin and GFWL you've failed the litmus test and need to go back to the drawing board. Cause your product is fail.

What's wrong with Origin? It's much less intrusive than Steam, you can even treat it like a download client and not launch any games (except BF3) from it. Uplay is on a whole other level.

c'mon.

uPlay is awful but not this bad. It never deleted my saves and never put me in a continuous update loop.

Derrick01

Banned
What's wrong with Origin? It's much less intrusive than Steam, you can even treat it like a download client and not launch any games (except BF3) from it. Uplay is on a whole other level.

It's a lot more than BF3. More like every big EA game that has come out within the last year or year and a half. They all require Origin.

1-D_FTW

The easy answer: It's from EA.

On a more serious note: It's a lot less intrusive than Steamworks, but it's also a lot less functional. It's been months since I've used it, but a couple things that really annoyed me back when: wasn't able to make a backup. When I was having issues with Dead Space 2 crashing (eventually fixed by googling a custom config) at launch, I wanted to test on my XP partition. Instead of being able to create a backup, I had to redownload the entire file instead. Why isn't there a backup feature? Another issue that annoyed me was I paused my BF3 download 80 percent of the way through (and put the computer to sleep). I just assumed I could continue where I left off. Nope. Had to restart from 0 bytes. There's plenty of little annoying things that should have been solved long ago.

Then again, you could just be trolling me:)

c'mon.

uPlay is awful but not this bad. It never deleted my saves and never put me in a continuous update loop.

Haven't plenty of people had uPlay load up a save that was 3 hours (gameplay) old?

Just like Steam then?

ArjanN

Eh...completely untrue.

Shank 2 had a bug early on with keyboard controls. They patched that pretty quick though.

Mark of the Ninja plays perfectly with keyboard.

Deadlight was added to coming soon,published by Microsoft. they keep adding games and no gfwl.sign of things to come?

It think like with Mark of the Ninja it's more that MS doesn't care about those smaller releases.

Halo 4 on Steam?

Like all the platform holders they most likely want to keep a couple of exclusive franchises to keep people buying their consoles.

Xanathus

this "argument" again...

why are we comparing Steam from back then with uPlay/Origin today again?

Because Uplay's problems are primarily technical issues which are to be expected in any newly developed system, just like how Steam had similar technical issues when it first started? It's OK to directly compare them on business/sales policies but it doesn't seem fair to compare them on stuff like bugs.

All it takes is for them to get some other third-party games on the system and give some amazing discounts and people will accept it just like Steam.

Because Uplay's problems are primarily technical issues which are to be expected in any newly developed system, just like how Steam had similar technical issues when it first started? It's OK to directly compare them on business/sales policies but it doesn't seem fair to compare them on stuff like bugs.

All it takes is for them to get some other third-party games on the system and give some amazing discounts and people will accept it just like Steam.

- games I bought on Steam not properly registering/not showing up in the uPlay client even though they do on the web
- uplay apparently fucking with (cloud saves)
- security leak/rootkit stuff

I think the shit uPlay gets is justified and I seriously doubt any long-time PC gamer will trust Ubisoft over Steam...

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
- games I bought on Steam not properly registering/not showing up in the uPlay client even though they do on the web
- uplay apparently fucking with (cloud saves)
- security leak/rootkit stuff

I think the shit uPlay gets is justified and I seriously doubt any long-time PC gamer will trust Ubisoft over Steam...
Besides it's completely redundant with Steam games. When I launch Driver: SF I want to start playing it immediately, not having to wait for a second client to open and click the "play" button there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom