• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ubi still hasn't fixed the issue with Uplay and AssCreed 2 which sees the latter immediately crash if you alt-tab out of it while the former is online, and I'd be surprised if it is ever patched considering Ubi's virtually non-existent history when it comes to fixing bugs.

JaseC

I wasn't using Steam last year, so what are the chances of another Halloween sale this year?

Considering the first one was last year, I'd say 50/50.

Edit: Last year's Halloween Sale began on the last Friday of the month, so if there is one this year, it should begin on the 26th.

Tomodachi

Just like Steam then?

Yep, it's pretty hard to criticize Uplay because they're pretty much just doing what Steam does, and Steam was waaaaaaaaay shittier back when it first started.

The thing that gets to me is that it's a store within a store. I mean, I don't have to install Origin to play EA games on Steam, do I? The security is already taken care by Steam, as the purchase, DLCs and such. At least with Steam versions of Ubisoft games they could skip the whole uplay part, I bought it on Steam for a reason, you know? I don't want to see that crap and even if I really wanted them (no way) I could get those uPlay points (they're crap too, just like the rewards, but maybe people want them, who knows) with an in-game system, much like Rockstar does with its Social Club.

But basically: it's just weird that Steam launches an application with its own built-in store which launches a game I bought on Steam in the first place. Total, utterly illogical crap.

Besides it's completely redundant with Steam games. When I launch Driver: SF I want to start playing it immediately, not having to wait for a second client to open and click the "play" button there.

It also totally negates the whole point of Big Picture Mode. Valve should really do something about that.

Echoplx

Ubi still hasn't fixed the issue with Uplay and AssCreed 2 which sees the latter immediately crash if you alt-tab out of it while the former is online, and I'd be surprised if it is ever patched considering Ubi's virtually non-existent history when it comes to fixing bugs.

I never had this issue when using alt-tab on my playthrough :s

I wasn't using Steam last year, so what are the chances of another Halloween sale this year?

Killing floor and Painkiller H&D both have Halloween content coming. Saints Row 3 also has a DLC bundle coming called 'Tricks and Treats Pack' so It would seem likely there will be a sale.

garath

Because Uplay's problems are primarily technical issues which are to be expected in any newly developed system, just like how Steam had similar technical issues when it first started? It's OK to directly compare them on business/sales policies but it doesn't seem fair to compare them on stuff like bugs.

All it takes is for them to get some other third-party games on the system and give some amazing discounts and people will accept it just like Steam.

Except Steam was pretty unique as a platform when it came out. Unfortunately for uPlay they have competition. Competition that is better at what they do and aren't bug riddled messes. I could make an analogy but it's really not necessary here. A product is judged on its merit against its competition and if that product is buggy, it's going to get judged as such.

It also totally negates the whole point of Big Picture Mode. Valve should really do something about that.
This this this! I currently have 5 games installed on my laptop which stays connected to the TV with an Xbox controller and only one can launch without needing a mouse in BPM. That is Silent Hill Homecoming. I hate that I use the controller to navigate steam BPM but then launch a game and need to turn on my Bluetooth mouse to click launch again.

Sorry, slightly off topic rant but its been bugging me for a while.

JaseC

I never had this issue when using alt-tab on my playthrough :s
Same. I'm no fan of Uplay but I'm still playing Assassin's Creed II (off and on) and I'm about 22 hours or so in and have never crashed while alt-tabbing.

I wonder what's causing it, then, because the crashes occur only when Uplay is online, so it's obviously a problem with the client. I suppose it doesn't matter now that I've (finally) completed my playthrough.

Echoplx

I wonder what's causing it, then, because the crashes occur only when Uplay is online, so it's obviously a problem with the client. I suppose it doesn't matter now that I've (finally) completed my playthrough.

Did you complete like every single activity in the game or something? 105 hours is ridiculous, son.

The thing that gets to me is that it's a store within a store. I mean, I don't have to install Origin to play EA games on Steam, do I? The security is already taken care by Steam, as the purchase, DLCs and such. At least with Steam versions of Ubisoft games they could skip the whole uplay part, I bought it on Steam for a reason, you know? I don't want to see that crap and even if I really wanted them (no way) I could get those uPlay points (they're crap too, just like the rewards, but maybe people want them, who knows) with an in-game system, much like Rockstar does with its Social Club.

But basically: it's just weird that Steam launches an application with its own built-in store which launches a game I bought on Steam in the first place. Total, utterly illogical crap.

You don't need to launch Origin to play EA games on Steam because EA have stopped releasing their games on Steam. If they were still releasing their big games, you would absolutely have to login to Origin to run them.

For better or worse Ubisoft have decided that they want to build this Uplay platform of theirs. The integration is getting deeper with time (cloud saving, achievement tracking etc.). They are not going to start building 2 different PC versions of their games, one with Uplay that goes to retail and non client DD stores and another for Steam. I don't really see why it's such a terrible thing to have Uplay when it basically behaves like a launcher with only a single extra click to get to your game. Complaining about it having a store which you can forever ignore seems like a trivial complaint. People have legitimate technical problems with Uplay and of course they have a valid complaint, but complaining just because it exists seems rather pointless.

JaseC

Did you complete like every single activity in the game or something? 105 hours is ridiculous, son.

Yeah, but at least 30 hours of that is a combination of alt-tabbing to GAF for a short while and quitting the game but not Uplay.

JaseC

Completing every activity takes around 40 hours.

I found this almost-three-year-old post by myself over at another forum:

Me said:
Just finished the game. 46 hours all up.

So, including the DLC this time around, that's ~50 hours for everything, which means, all up, the game and/or Uplay had been idling for the very same amount of time. :p That's... ridiculous, I'll admit.

J-Tier

What's interesting is that this appears to be a completely indie game by a single random developer unless I'm missing something. And it wasn't greenlit, was it? So was it approved way back, or are they still approving new indie games outside of Greenlight?

The Greenlight process is just a potentially faster way than the normal process. The original approval process still exists, it just takes more time. Significantly more time.

Blizzard

Banned
The Greenlight process is just a potentially faster way than the normal process. The original approval process still exists, it just takes more time. Significantly more time.
How do you get to the original process? I thought I read someone saying that if you try to submit a game now, the process has been changed to request that you use Greenlight at least for now, and the Steam main page "Get your game on steam" link at the bottom now goes directly to Greenlight.

J-Tier

How do you get to the original process? I thought I read someone saying that if you try to submit a game now, the process has been changed to request that you use Greenlight at least for now, and the Steam main page "Get your game on steam" link at the bottom now goes directly to Greenlight.

I think you'd have to contact them directly. Haven't messed with the current system online, so don't know if it actually directs your submissions to Greenlight.

Origin doesn't seem to have auto-updates.

When I 'bought' those free games from them, I had to go track down patches and high resolution texture packs from Bioware.com for the Dragon Age and Mass Effect games.

Blizzard

Banned
Origin doesn't seem to have auto-updates.

When I 'bought' those free games from them, I had to go track down patches and high resolution texture packs from Bioware.com for the Dragon Age and Mass Effect games.
If Origin doesn't have auto-updates, and Steam has mandatory updates you can't escape, are there any DD services that have a compromise, where you can choose if your games get updated, or stay with an older version (because of modding, or because a newer patch broke something)? You can't choose with Steam unless you stay in permanent offline mode as far as I know.

iNvid02

If Origin doesn't have auto-updates, and Steam has mandatory updates you can't escape, are there any DD services that have a compromise, where you can choose if your games get updated, or stay with an older version (because of modding, or because a newer patch broke something)? You can't choose with Steam unless you stay in permanent offline mode as far as I know.

you can, just choose do not update this game by right clicking it

but if you download a game i think it comes with the latest patch, so you might have to download game, choose do not update and quit steam, apply old patch from web, play

also pretty sure the latest games include auto updates on origin, just the older stuff which still needs manual patches

Tomodachi

You don't need to launch Origin to play EA games on Steam because EA have stopped releasing their games on Steam. If they were still releasing their big games, you would absolutely have to login to Origin to run them.

For better or worse Ubisoft have decided that they want to build this Uplay platform of theirs. The integration is getting deeper with time (cloud saving, achievement tracking etc.). They are not going to start building 2 different PC versions of their games, one with Uplay that goes to retail and non client DD stores and another for Steam. I don't really see why it's such a terrible thing to have Uplay when it basically behaves like a launcher with only a single extra click to get to your game. Complaining about it having a store which you can forever ignore seems like a trivial complaint. People have legitimate technical problems with Uplay and of course they have a valid complaint, but complaining just because it exists seems rather pointless.

I had to wait about 5 minutes for the uPlay laucher to update (as I said, I hadn't launched a Ubisoft game in a long time), then the whole ubi store opened probably because of the big upfate (hence my complaining about the store, but I was bothered by the illogicality of it as I've already said, not in an actual manner) so I had to close it and launch Driver again via Steam. Then I had to click on "Play" on the launcher again. When I was done with the game, I had to close the uPlay recap about points and stuff. There's that too.

All this in BPM, so back and forth between mouse (desk) and pad (couch). As I said, it totally ruins the whole BPM experience, but that's not only Ubi's fault, other companies use launchers unfortunately. And by the way Driver came out before BPM was around so it's ok, but as I said in the original message I thought they removed uPlay altogether, not made it even bigger than before.

I'm not saying it's the end of the world of course (in before: first world problems, etc) but good grief, why did I have to do all that clicking? I don't get a single advantage from uPlay, only minor hassles. You said "for better or worse", I say for worse, I think I'm allowed that much? Or I guess I'm just whiny, what can I say.

Sarcasm

Your sure about steam? I mean sure you can't choose to stay on certain patches..but you can on or off.

i7JEh0ar8k6Pu.png

JaseC

I enjoyed the glyph puzzles, though I suppose that goes without saying. ;) The only instance of content padding the series has done horribly wrong as far as I'm concerned is the tower defense mini-game in Revelations; it's insultingly easy and completely unnecessary.

I had to wait about 5 minutes for the uPlay laucher to update (as I said, I hadn't launched a Ubisoft game in a long time), then the whole ubi store opened probably because of the big upfate (hence my complaining about the store, but I was bothered by the illogicality of it as I've already said, not in an actual manner) so I had to close it and launch Driver again via Steam. Then I had to click on "Play" on the launcher again. When I was done with the game, I had to close the uPlay recap about points and stuff. There's that too.

All this in BPM, so back and forth between mouse (desk) and pad (couch). As I said, it totally ruins the whole BPM experience, but that's not only Ubi's fault, other companies use launchers unfortunately. And by the way Driver came out before BPM was around so it's ok, but as I said in the original message I thought they removed uPlay altogether, not made it even bigger than before.

I'm not saying it's the end of the world of course (in before: first world problems, etc) but good grief, why did I have to do all that clicking? I don't get a single advantage from uPlay, only minor hassles. You said "for better or worse", I say for worse, I think I'm allowed that much? Or I guess I'm just whiny, what can I say.

Let me put it this way. You can go to the Amazon or gog.com forums right now and find threads where people have the exact same problems with Steam that you have with Uplay. And I mean the exact same problems... why do I need to launch a client to play my game, why do I have to see a storefront when trying to play my game etc. They call Steam cancerous to PC gaming and want it to die, just like you seem to want Uplay to disappear. So what argument would you give those people that applies to Steam but doesn't work for Uplay?

JaseC

Bah, as with every bundle that doesn't have its contents individually discounted, I'm missing only one game (in this case, Shank 2).

Alien8

Hmmm... apparently both Assasins Creed midweek madnes and Krater daily deal have been (temporally?) removed.

Edit: AssCreed discount is up again.

Edit2: ... and Krater too.

StuBurns

Banned
As far as I'm aware, there's been no elaboration on this tweet:

If we assume "few" means "three", then very soon. Otherwise, who knows.
Finger's crossed.

I have a question for PC-GAF, although it's not really Steam-GAF, hopefully people will allow it.

I want to play BioShock 2's DLC, Minerva's Den, this is proving to be a surprisingly difficult task. It's not on Steam, I asked a friend, he said it was only on GFWL, I looked on there, and I can't find it there either. Anyone know what's up with it?

If I buy Bio2 on Steam, can I install the DLC if I can buy it elsewhere?

Nabs

Finger's crossed.

I have a question for PC-GAF, although it's not really Steam-GAF, hopefully people will allow it.

I want to play BioShock 2's DLC, Minerva's Den, this is proving to be a surprisingly difficult task. It's not on Steam, I asked a friend, he said it was only on GFWL, I looked on there, and I can't find it there either. Anyone know what's up with it?

Go to Xbox.com and search for Bioshock 2. Click on the PC version and it should be there. I picked it up last week.

Finger's crossed.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/de-DE/Product/Minervas-Den/00000000-0000-400e-80cf-00065454085c
This should be it, I have no idea how GFWL DLC works though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom