• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It works perfect but I'm pretty sure the icons don't show up in the game which is pretty annoying. No idea if they fixed that for Revelations, that's the only one I haven't played on PC.

Yeah, this bothered me initially in AC and AC2 (haven't played Brotherhood PC just yet and I played Revelations with the kb&m). A/B/X/Y are fine since the games use the same colour coding, however for the rear buttons and triggers, there's no such luck so you just have to try and commit to memory, through trial and error, the icons and their respective bindings.

JaseC

I lost much of my interest in Deadlight when I learned it wasn't a Metroidvania game. That feels like a missed opportunity to me, especially considering the post-apoc setting.

Edit: Hey, Microsoft! Since you're all about publishing XBLA games on Steam lately: Shadow Complex PC, please.

Cj70

Anyone ever got this error when adding a gift to their library

"Unable to add the gift to your game library. The gift may have already been redeemed. Please try again later."

My friend is getting the same issue. Everyone on the steam forums seems to suggest spamming add to library but no joy :(

I lost much of my interest in Deadlight when I learned it wasn't a Metroidvania game. That feels like a missed opportunity to me, especially considering the post-apoc setting.

I am really surprised there has never really been another game made in that style. Sure there are a few games with similar styles but nothing that resembles the gameplay of hidden rooms and massive 2d maps and upgrades that 2d metroid and castlevania offer.

Caerith

I am really surprised there has never really been another game made in that style. Sure there are a few games with similar styles but nothing that resembles the gameplay of hidden rooms and massive 2d maps and upgrades that 2d metroid and castlevania offer.
Aside from the handheld Castlevanias, at least. But there have been some good 3d games in the same style.

Spiegel

I would gladly take Bioshock/2 (or the two) from someone who doesn't want them but want The Last Remnant, Just Cause/2 or Hitman Blood Money.

I thought Batman Arkham Asylum was as close as possible to a 3d Metroidvania as it gets. 2d though yeah aside from handhelds (not that massive) its pretty barren.

daxy

I've only played a bit of the first AssCreed, thought it was kinda repetitive.
Would it be okay to skip that one and buy AC2 and AC:Brotherhood? Or will I be missing a huge part of the story?

Also, is there DRM?

You can completely skip the first. I did that and didn't miss out on much. Apart from the somewhat confusing beginning for newcomers, they explain things pretty well and if anything you could just read a synopsis if you're really into the story. (See below re: DRM)

How is the AC2 port? Recently visited Venice irl and feel like replaying it :)

Excellent port from what I can tell. The only blemish would be UPlay, but I believe you could also play that disconnected from the service and you'd only miss out on earning achievements to unlock stuff like skins (Altair I think?).

Blizzard

Banned
Your sure about steam? I mean sure you can't choose to stay on certain patches..but you can on or off.

i7JEh0ar8k6Pu.png
Nope, if you launch the game it will force you to download the latest patch, or you cannot play it. In addition, if Steam becomes aware of a patch, I think if you go offline after that point, you can't play the game offline since it will tell you that it needs updated. IN ADDITION, I'm almost certain that I used to try to set this setting with Steam Mirror's Edge, since I was modding it, and the setting would sometimes randomly enable itself again(potentially if you launch the game).

you can, just choose do not update this game by right clicking it
Nope, if you launch the game you have to download the latest patch.

I'm pretty sure it'll force you to update before you can launch the game even if updates are disabled.
Bingo.

Nope. Not as far as I know.
I have been complaining about this exact issue for probably years, and I have never ever seen any proof that it is possible to launch a Steam game, with the "disable updates" option set in Steam, when there is a new update available, without Steam first forcing you to update the game. I think Skyrim was a relatively recent example of a major game with this issue. Originally, the Skyrim executable didn't even require Steam to be running, which was awesome! But then they patched in the Steamworks DRM, and they kept releasing patches that would overwrite people's modded .exe patches unless they ran in offline mode, or recopied old .exe versions to overwrite the Steam version.

If ANYONE has proof that you can launch an out of date game on Steam now, with updates disabled, without Steam forcing you to update, I would welcome that and gladly admit I'm wrong, but as far as I know the option is still useless aside from saving you download bandwidth for games you have installed but don't play. :p

Goody

I just need BioShock 2. Will probably getting that and giving away the second.

It's GFWL, right? So you can buy the DLC from the GFW store and it'll load into the main game?

Did they remove that shitty online DRM from AC:Brotherhood? My internet connection constantly drops so my purchase hinges entirely on it.

Also how was the AC1 PC port? I am willing to give it another shot for £2.49. The last time I tried it was 4 years ago on PS3.

Did they remove that shitty online DRM from AC:Brotherhood? My internet connection constantly drops so my purchase hinges entirely on it.

Also how was the AC1 PC port? I am willing to give it another shot for £2.49. The last time I tried it was 4 years ago on PS3.

AC1 port is good but don't even bother if you're going to play it with BPM. Can't use the pad until you pick your profile.

JaseC

I had no issues with the original on the PC. Apparently, though, the game still has remnants of always-online DRM in its code, so it dials home whenever an event occurs (e.g. a kill), which, while it caused no issues for myself, results in the game briefly freezing for others (a workaround is mentioned in the video description).

I just need BioShock 2. Will probably getting that and giving away the second.

It's GFWL, right? So you can buy the DLC from the GFW store xbox.com and it'll load into the main game?

There is no Games For Windows store, even if you have the GFWL client installed, it will just point you to xbox.com.

atomico

I've been downloading a 13gb "patch" a last couple of days for The Witcher 2.

Did they change anything drastically or just fucked up again and put the entire game up for re-download instead of a smaller patch file?

Sajjaja

I've been downloading a 13gb "patch" a last couple of days for The Witcher 2.

Did they change anything drastically or just fucked up again and put the entire game up for re-download instead of a smaller patch file?

Mac integration is the only big change recently.

dreamfall

Double dipped on all Assassins, except Revelations- as I put a ton of time into the Console multiplayer! Excited to replay the first game in time for Liberation. Is the release date for III solid? Like actually coming November 20th?

zulux21

for the few people keeping track of Cherry Tree High Comedy Club from nyu's twitter

Cherry Tree High Comedy Club's Steam release date is FIXED! Announcement tomorrow!

yes this is an announcement of an announcement but hey at least we finally know when we will know when it is coming and that day is tomorrow :p

InertiaXr

I played and beat AC2 a few months ago, and saw the whole series was on sale now. Brotherhood is generally considered worthwhile while Revelations was not, correct? Especially with 3 out soon I don't really have the time or desire to play both bros and revelations.

I played and beat AC2 a few months ago, and saw the whole series was on sale now. Brotherhood is generally considered worthwhile while Revelations was not, correct? Especially with 3 out soon I don't really have the time or desire to play both bros and revelations.

Revelations is worth playing. It's not the best in the series (still beats AC1 imo, but that's about it) but I enjoyed the story elements. Don't let the hivemind control you.

Roto13

Revelations is better than Brotherhood, but it's still basically more of the same. I think a lot of people who didn't enjoy Revelations so much just didn't feel like playing yet another Assassin's Creed yearly release.

It's not that it's bad, it's just that you're likely to have your fill of Ezio's games after Brotherhood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom