• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

alstein

Me neither. But one learns by doing. Making OTs skill +1.
I think i'd like to have a banner for it but i can't make one myself. Otherwise i'll just make it a quick, simple overview of the features and such. Maybe link a few screenshots and a vid or two.

I've been shocked there has been like no discussion of the game here period. I figured folks were wary about Stardock cosplayed as Capcom in 2010.

Thankfully it was just bad cosplay.

and yeah, Warlock wasn't deep, it was beer and pretzels gaming. FE's AI is really strong, especially given how hard AI is for 4X fantasy games in general.

Woorloog

Banned
I've been shocked there has been like no discussion of the game here period. I figured folks were wary about Stardock cosplayed as Capcom in 2010.

Thankfully it was just bad cosplay.

Well Stardock doesn't get much attention from GAF. Other than some jokes about Brad Wardell. I figure out those who play SD's games stick to SD forums. I did before i found GAF.

RedSwirl

Anybody else have the client crash upon startup?

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Steam.exe
Application Version: 1.0.1446.623
Application Timestamp: 5004ae1a
Fault Module Name: steamclient.dll
Fault Module Version: 1.55.42.15
Fault Module Timestamp: 5085c43e
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0017b362
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: fd00
Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
Additional Information 3: fd00
Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

Already tried rebooting and deleting client registry.

Tomodachi

The latest beta crashes A LOT. I'd switch back to the non-beta client but then again BPM. Time to put that out of beta, Valve.

EDIT: also, tried my first gfwl game since BPM landed (felt the urge to play an hour straight of GTA4 even though I finished it and all its DLCs, is that game awesome or what?), I can't take screenshots with my pad as I'm already used to. This needs to be fixed asap, you hear me Valve? I want something like an embargo to keep out games using fucking gfwl from now on. Geez.

DarkKyo

Since the most recent steam update, whenever I launch steam it immediately crashes... anyone else have this issue or know how I can fix it?

Edit: Oh looks like others are having this problem.

RedSwirl

The fuck? I'm trying to recover my password and it's telling me they don't have my email or username on file.

Edit: Nevermind that was for logging into Steam support. Still forgot my password though. I knew I shouldn't have made the login automatic.

camerooni

Neo Member
Assassin's Creed 2 is much better than 1. AC1 is a fairly short game if you just rush through it, you could just watch some of the story on youtube but you won't miss much

And that's why the first game isn't appreciated properly.. because you can 'rush right through it'.. only doing the 2/6 tasks and then the main kill, completely destroys the pace of the game and the enjoyment in being able to skulk around/find alternative paths. When fleeing after the kill - it's much less frustrating when you have 'unlocked' the toughs who will grab the guards pursuing you.. when entering the guarded areas if you have saved the citizen and the group of scholars appear that will allow you in without just slaughtering everyone..

Funnily enough the first assassin's creed game is the only one that you actually feel like you're on a mission to avoid unnecessary kills and only kill the target (and those who unfortunately get in the way).. the later games are just run and smash and kill and explode and whee.. ziplines..

Plus Altair was more interesting than Ezio, and going back to play the original this week it was nice that I could grab knives off the toughs wandering the streets rather than looting every single body and then going to buy them from a shop..

Also the first game made me feel like I was playing the game the way I wanted to, in the order I wanted to (within the overall memory structure limitations of course), whereas the second felt very linear.. go here, go here, go here, collect shit on the side.. less of there's 4 or 5 things you can do here.. go at it!

Different strokes I guess.. but I am loving returning to the first game and I suggest people don't 'rush' through just to get to the 'good' stuff in the second when the first had a lot of good as well.

Oh and the 'kill' cutscenes were a lot better in the first. The way you could get a close up on the person as they're talking directly to you - defiant in death almost, standing up, walking around, where as in the second they were just sort of feeble, lying in Ezio's arm, saying how they were right/wrong and blah.. definite change in story telling from the first to the second.

Tess3ract

Banned
AC1 is a terrible game because the combat is terrible and the story is shallow. There's no sidequests in the game worth doing and even if there was you wouldn't because everything in the game is a tedious slog.

RedSwirl

Tried opting out of beta before it crashed again. Even after restarting Steam still crashes almost immediately upon startup.

Croc

Banned
I've only ever played the first AC game but I thought it was boring and forgettable. Every mission felt exactly the same to me. It wasn't really noticeable at first because the world was big but once you get late-game you realize you're just doing the same thing over and over. I've even gone back to try and finish the game twice but I've never been able to make it through without getting too bored.

camerooni

Neo Member
AC1 is a terrible game because the combat is terrible and the story is shallow. There's no sidequests in the game worth doing and even if there was you wouldn't because everything in the game is a tedious slog.

Aren't you a bucket of sunshine - tell us what you really think!? ;)

The combat is great, even after returning to it after playing the II, and Brotherhood.. It is weird (i.e harder) at first until you unlock the counter - but that's only after the first assassination. It has a simplicity and flow that feels nice and granted it's fairly easy - but you get less 'stacks-on' fights of 20-30 guards at a time (unless you're doing it wrong :p - or it's part of the larger fights later in the game).

There is good variation in the different 'side quests', the thing is to mix things up - I can understand your frustration in having to do 2/6 things to get information before you can go after the main guy - but if you do more than those 2 it really opens up your options further.. AC was a terrible game for reviews - it really lends itself to a playthough of a few hours here, a few hours there, pace it out.. if you're planning to play through it in a weekend.. yeah you might hate it :p See the original conflicted review scores as a result of reviewers doing the bare essentials and hammering through it in order to get their stories to print.

Obviously lots of the original game was improved upon in the sequel (and the sequels sequels), but I think it's lost a lot as well :/

Just putting this out there for those who might be writing the game off completely and jumping in at II based on popular opinion that 'it sucks, it's the same thing over and over again, and it's boring'.. Altair's story held me far more than insipid playboy Ezio who boohoo lost his father, but has had everything else he's wanted ever since </lamo power fantasy> .. Altair you could at least see had flaws.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
^ also it has the best story, setting and best presented story of the series. And the others didn't really improve combat and variety that much imo, you still just hammer or counter win everything, while they reduced the stealth and escape aspects of the pacing. They have some good side quest type additions (not that any game without such is suddenly lame) but many of them were also lame (flying bombing runs, tower defense, whatever else), and most I didn't really care to hunt for, they were just some fun distractions I did on the way to the main story. Overall the main gameplay is about as repetitive as the first, side stuff or not.

HoosTrax

Tried opting out of beta before it crashed again. Even after restarting Steam still crashes almost immediately upon startup.
Can you just download the Steam installer and reinstall it? Maybe it will default to non-beta.

(might not want to use uninstall first - I heard that it deletes *everything*, including what's inside /steamapps/)

Tomodachi

You could try deleting all the files and folders except the steam executable and the steamapps forlder. It's the way steam usually suggests via email to customers. Upon launch the client will redownload all the necessary files again and restore a clean installation with your already downloaded games. Google this before doing it though, I wouldn't want to get you in trouble with savegames and such :/

zkylon

zkylewd
Ass Creed 1 is weird because while I do agree it had the best "feeling" of being an assassin, the story was at its strongest and in general it felt very unique as a sandbox game, it was also a snorefest and lacked a lot of charisma, two things the sequels traded in exchange for the other stuff.

I'd really like if Ass Creed 3 was a mix of both, but nothing seems to indicate that. I really like they decided to remove regenerating health during combat, though.

Tess3ract

Banned
I'd probably like AC1 more if the window for counters was like 1.5 seconds into an animation instead of .25 seconds. I'm never that fast.

camerooni

Neo Member
I'd probably like AC1 more if the window for counters was like 1.5 seconds into an animation instead of .25 seconds. I'm never that fast.

I think the game may 'auto block' if you're locked on but not pressing anything.. I find that if I hold the block button when in combat (think it's RT/R2) even if I'm slightly off in counter-timing, I normally am still able to block the attack and try again.. so every time I'm in combat I'm holding the trigger down, even while attacking..

Also you must must must hit the LT/L2 to lock onto an enemy in combat (just set it on the first guy and let it autoswitch after that) - otherwise it can become a horrible mess.. the autoblocking won't assist you, and they'll just hack the hell out of you unless you're really good with your manual blocking.. (locking into combat mode is really the only way to survive battles of more than 2-3 guards - unless you're pure awesome.. which alas I am not)

Might be something to try?

alstein

Aww, my fallen enchantress key doesn't activate in steam?

I don't even know of life outside of steam :(

If you got a free copy from Stardock, that won't activate in Steam.

If you bought the game on Steam, you have to register it with Stardock (one-time serial check, just email and registration serial) then you never have to worry about it again.

Miker

007 legends has been added to coming soon.

I can't believe they're asking $50 (well, $45 I guess) for it when reviews are out for the console version. I remember Acti putting out Transmorfers War for Cybertron at $40, whatever happened to that?

Then again, I'm pretty sure I said the exact same thing when Blood Stone came out, and nothing's changed.

I can't believe they're asking $50 (well, $45 I guess) for it when reviews are out for the console version. I remember Acti putting out Transmorfers War for Cybertron at $40, whatever happened to that?

Then again, I'm pretty sure I said the exact same thing when Blood Stone came out, and nothing's changed.

yea also cant believe they didn't put goldenye when at least that was decent.

Aren't you a bucket of sunshine - tell us what you really think!? ;)

The combat is great, even after returning to it after playing the II, and Brotherhood.. It is weird (i.e harder) at first until you unlock the counter - but that's only after the first assassination. It has a simplicity and flow that feels nice and granted it's fairly easy - but you get less 'stacks-on' fights of 20-30 guards at a time (unless you're doing it wrong :p - or it's part of the larger fights later in the game).

There is good variation in the different 'side quests', the thing is to mix things up - I can understand your frustration in having to do 2/6 things to get information before you can go after the main guy - but if you do more than those 2 it really opens up your options further.. AC was a terrible game for reviews - it really lends itself to a playthough of a few hours here, a few hours there, pace it out.. if you're planning to play through it in a weekend.. yeah you might hate it :p See the original conflicted review scores as a result of reviewers doing the bare essentials and hammering through it in order to get their stories to print.

Obviously lots of the original game was improved upon in the sequel (and the sequels sequels), but I think it's lost a lot as well :/

Just putting this out there for those who might be writing the game off completely and jumping in at II based on popular opinion that 'it sucks, it's the same thing over and over again, and it's boring'.. Altair's story held me far more than insipid playboy Ezio who boohoo lost his father, but has had everything else he's wanted ever since </lamo power fantasy> .. Altair you could at least see had flaws.

I agree with you. There's something there in that first game, even with the flaws. It's an amazing time-period especially. There is definitely a different sort of feeling when playing it, but I have come to appreciate the game for what it is. It is certainly not terrible;it has strengths and weaknesses, regardless of where they took the series (in a great way.)

So Hotline Miami is interesting. It's a single player riff on games like Loaded or Smash TV that has this weird, dark vibe to its limited narrative. The character you play may be a hitman or may simply be insane. Instead of choosing different characters as you would in Loaded you choose between different animal masks with different bonuses. Initially you only have a chicken mask but unlock more as you play. The act of killing enemies seems to be a bit of a puzzle itself. The gameplay is weird because it's this amalgamation of hyper kinetic violence and meticulous planning. You die, frequently, each level is kind of trial and error even if you stop to observe enemy placement and patrols. You look ahead, come up with a game plan, rush in, try to kill enemies, die, revise said game plan and try it all over again until you succeed.

I don't think I quite dig it as much as others have (Rock Paper Shotgun) but it's an enjoyable experience. Soundtrack seems to be pretty epic.

So Hotline Miami is interesting. It's a single player riff on games like Loaded or Smash TV that has this weird, dark vibe to its limited narrative. The character you play may be a hitman or may simply be insane. Instead of choosing different characters as you would in Loaded you choose between different animal masks with different bonuses. Initially you only have a chicken mask but unlock more as you play. The act of killing enemies seems to be a bit of a puzzle itself. The gameplay is weird because it's this amalgamation of hyper kinetic violence and meticulous planning. You die, frequently, each level is kind of trial and error even if you stop to observe enemy placement and patrols. You look ahead, come up with a game plan, rush in, try to kill enemies, die, revise said game plan and try it all over again until you succeed.

I don't think I quite dig it as much as others have (Rock Paper Shotgun) but it's an enjoyable experience. Soundtrack seems to be pretty epic.

Loaded is exactly what I think of with this game and masks. I played the first few stages and love it, but I'm waiting for the controller support issue to get worked out before I continue.

Fantastic soundtrack as well.

eyeless

i'd love it if someone could give me some non-spoilery tips for playing alpha protocol non-lethally. are there any missions where not buying intel will make it impossible to non-lethally finish the mission? is the solution for non-lethal takedown of a target to engage in conversation with them? always, sometimes, or never? kind of reticent to start the first proper mission until i know, worried i will start having already lost my chance for a non-lethal solution by not buying intel or something.

RedSwirl

Can you just download the Steam installer and reinstall it? Maybe it will default to non-beta.

(might not want to use uninstall first - I heard that it deletes *everything*, including what's inside /steamapps/)

I might try this first. I don't have a drive big enough to back up my steamapps folder.

You could try deleting all the files and folders except the steam executable and the steamapps forlder. It's the way steam usually suggests via email to customers. Upon launch the client will redownload all the necessary files again and restore a clean installation with your already downloaded games. Google this before doing it though, I wouldn't want to get you in trouble with savegames and such :/

Didn't know you could do this.

How can you tell if they are updated or not? Do I have to manually download all patches for each Dragon Age?

The title screens should tell you what version they are (the launchers might too? one or the other for sure), and all of them were 1.0 for me. I think it was Dragon Age Origins that also has an official high-res pack.

Loaded is exactly what I think of with this game and masks. I played the first few stages and love it, but I'm waiting for the controller support issue to get worked out before I continue.

Fantastic soundtrack as well.

Are you getting that start-up message asking you to choose to enable Steam or not and that it might not work?

Are you getting that start-up message asking you to choose to enable Steam or not and that it might not work?

No, I played it earlier today and I had to go to options and enable the 360 controller which would only partially work. I think they put an update out that gets rid of controller support until they fix it.

Edit: Just reinstalled to check it out and that message is new to me. It wasn't there before.

Yeah, they just added that, they also did a thing where they removed the options menu because the controller settings weren't working.

They said on twitter it would all be fixed soon.

RedSwirl

I don't think I've actually been able to tell it to opt out of beta yet. I can't get to the command for it in the settings fast enough before Steam crashes.

Firehead

I don't think I've actually been able to tell it to opt out of beta yet. I can't get to the command for it in the settings fast enough before Steam crashes.

Add "-clearbeta" to the launch properties of your Steam shortcut (Without the quotes. Example: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -clearbeta).

vall03

Finally. I think this was originally announced for Steam back in February? haha

game was released way back in April, seems that they had trouble with Capcom with their Steam releases. Though they've been pretty consistent with it lately. Also, edited my post, was too excited that I thought the release will be tomorrow, but I think it will be released in the coming days or by next week.

Firehead

No idea where the launch properties are. It won't let me put that into the target in "properties."

Add a shortcut to Steam on your desktop; right-click it and go to properties. It'll look like this:
KQMth.png

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I'm really not liking this trend of Steam seemingly shatting out DLC at a 1:1 ratio with actual games.

Caerith

I cancelled my beta and got my "Tools" games back into my games library where they belong, but now I have a 0 byte update for every game in my library. Well, every installed game. Don't really get much use out of BPM anyway, since I have a KBM stand in front of the couch.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The title screens should tell you what version they are (the launchers might too? one or the other for sure), and all of them were 1.0 for me. I think it was Dragon Age Origins that also has an official high-res pack.
Thanks, I just downloaded the NFS Undercover and Hot Pursuit patches. I can't believe EA didn't bother to put the latest version of the games in their download servers.

And I know this is off-topic (as this is the Steam thread), but does anyone have any idea why NFS Undercover runs so slow? I haven't run it after applying the patch, so maybe that fixed the performance issues, but my PC is clearly above the minimum requirements, so it shouldn't struggle with this game.

Santiako

For anyone having problems with Assassin's Creed 1 (freezing for 4-5 secs every time you kill someone), you have to:

Add this line to your c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts:
216.98.48.134 localhost

It worked for me.

mrgone

Okay, now I understand Looper! The "tagging" they were talking about as the reason they had to send people back in time to get murdered was actually a callback to Ubisoft's servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom