• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

xJavonta

Banned
origin is terrible.EA cant be trusted and also why wouldnt you want to launch games from the steam client?i want all games in one place...
I launch all Origin games from Steam. And I turn all Origin features off (notifications, in-game overlay, etc) and its like it's not even there.

Crub

I thought Batman Arkham Asylum was as close as possible to a 3d Metroidvania as it gets. 2d though yeah aside from handhelds (not that massive) its pretty barren.

Eh, there are tons of 2D Metroidvanias, especially on PC. La-Mulana, Cave Story, Within a Deep Forest (my personal favorite), Tresure Adventure Game, Aquaria, Eternal Daughter, VVVVVV and Hell Yeah! are some that comes to mind.

The Iconoclasts and Owl Boy are two upcoming games that look really promising too.

I don't even have Origin installed anymore and all my (free) games launch fine as non-steam games.
I think the second game to use their rewards system ($10 cash back or $15 site credit). Cash back is 2-3 days after the order is through, credit is immediate.

Can't use coupons on it in Europe either, if this is the beginning of no more vouchers on GMG I'll be pretty disappointed.

HoosTrax

All of my actual tools are gone. Like the mod kits and digital bonuses/soundtracks. I'm trying to remember why I opted into the Steam beta in the first place but the reason escapes me at the moment. Eh, too lazy to update it to non-beta and I wasn't planning on playing Missing Link anytime soon.

I can't access my friends list, "no network connection could be made to the steam servers". Are you getting this too?
Community and friends list works fine for me.

All of my actual tools are gone. Like the mod kits and digital bonuses/soundtracks. I'm trying to remember why I opted into the Steam beta in the first place but the reason escapes me at the moment. Eh, too lazy to update it to non-beta and I wasn't planning on playing Missing Link anytime soon.

Big Picture Mode?

HoosTrax

Btw, I'm not familiar at all with the AssCreed series -- does the bundle include all of the games released up to now?

Reason I ask is because I bought the Splinter Cell bundle, and it doesn't have Pandora Tomorrow. And I bought the Hitman bundle, which doesn't have Hitman: Contracts.

I hate that kind of thing.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Hmm, Giana Sisters is a little floaty and imprecise, the assets are really high quality and polished but animations, controls, enemy behaviors and overall pacing not so much. It feels like an early 3D platform game in some ways, like Pandemonium or something in how it isn't very, er, tight. A game to see once through, for the worlds and what not (if it doesn't get boring and padded out enough to make me give up as well) not something to return to again and again like a classic. I'm a little disappointed with it.

HOTLINE MIAMI is already awesome though.

alstein

Fallen Enchantress is out today, wonder if it's as big a train wreck as Elemental was made out to be (never played it).

The game is good. really good. Best TBS game since Civ IV. Haven't messed with the campaign yet, but the sandbox mode is really, really good. A few flaws here and there, but nothing major.

It is as good as War of Magic was bad.

camerooni

Neo Member
Ubi still hasn't fixed the issue with Uplay and AssCreed 2 which sees the latter immediately crash if you alt-tab out of it while the former is online, and I'd be surprised if it is ever patched considering Ubi's virtually non-existent history when it comes to fixing bugs.

That and non-Uplay games such as the original Assassin's Creed is now broken (up to 5 second pauses at a time) and unpatched as it had undocumented calls to an ubiserver on startup and EVERY SINGLE TIME YOU KILL AN ENEMY </rant>

Joe Molotov

What was that fix to keep your categories from disappearing? I spent like 2 hours putting all my games in categories yesterday, now they're all reverted back to some earlier categories I made. ._.

The game is good. really good. Best TBS game since Civ IV. Haven't messed with the campaign yet, but the sandbox mode is really, really good. A few flaws here and there, but nothing major.

It is as good as War of Magic was bad.

That's good to hear. If the positive word of mouth keeps rolling in I may have to pick this up after I'm done with Xcom.

Btw, I'm not familiar at all with the AssCreed series -- does the bundle include all of the games released up to now?

Reason I ask is because I bought the Splinter Cell bundle, and it doesn't have Pandora Tomorrow. And I bought the Hitman bundle, which doesn't have Hitman: Contracts.

I hate that kind of thing.

Yes it includes everything but in this case you're probably better off buying 2 and brotherhood separately, Revelations and the dlc will hit a steeper discount soon enough.

Blizzard

Banned
What was that fix to keep your categories from disappearing? I spent like 2 hours putting all my games in categories yesterday, now they're all reverted back to some earlier categories I made. ._.
Make sure to exit Steam before shutting down your computer...that's the only thing I can think of.

its a glitch i had recently .a free weekend game was added to an old category that i deleted a while ago.

alstein

Ah, yes, Fallen Enchantress. I'll put the claim for the OT and make something.
Gotta note it is available on Steam...

Was tempted to do it, but I've never done an OT. A few folks in here have played the beta, such as myself.

Better FE and Drox Operative, I haven't had any need to play anything on Steam really in weeks/months. (Drox will make steam at some point also- better game than Torchlight)

Is it better than Warlock?

Warlock's a different game- it's not a 4X to me as much as it is a wargame in the mold of say, Fantasy General. It's good but Warlock is all about the tactical combat.

FE is more of a RPG/traditional 4X hybrid, with less emphasis on the tactical. It's emphasis is on exploration and leveling up characters.

You can't really compare the two, Warlock's good, FE is very good, potentially great if Stardock keeps up the support like they usually do (and there's still another expansion to go)

So after all that they only manage to remove:

Alien Breed 2
ARMA2 beta
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
Runespell
Skydrift
Trials 2

.. Because the rest were part of bundles. Looks like i'm stuck with Flora's Fruit Farm for life..

/firstworldproblems

Woorloog

Banned
Was tempted to do it, but I've never done an OT. A few folks in here have played the beta, such as myself.

Me neither. But one learns by doing. Making OTs skill +1.
I think i'd like to have a banner for it but i can't make one myself. Otherwise i'll just make it a quick, simple overview of the features and such. Maybe link a few screenshots and a vid or two.

Tess3ract

Banned
Warlock was fun for an afternoon but doesn't have the depth of Civ 5 which it clearly was trying to shoot for. Like a failed arrow shot, it was close but missed the target.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom