• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSwirl

Has anybody figured out a way to add Steam game shortcuts to the start menu folder? Through Steam you can add them to the desktop (I don't even display anything on my desktop) but I'd like to add them automatically to the start menu folder.

I know you can already do this upon first installing a Steam game. I just installed the DOTA2 client and told it to create a start menu shortcut that appeared under the Steam folder in the start menu. There doesn't seem to be a way to do this for games that you've already installed.

camerooni

Neo Member
Has anybody figured out a way to add Steam game shortcuts to the start menu folder? Through Steam you can add them to the desktop (I don't even display anything on my desktop) but I'd like to add them automatically to the start menu folder.

I know you can already do this upon first installing a Steam game. I just installed the DOTA2 client and told it to create a start menu shortcut that appeared under the Steam folder in the start menu. There doesn't seem to be a way to do this for games that you've already installed.

Create shortcuts on desktop.. either copy/paste or move into start menu folder?
Make a shortcut to that folder on your desktop for convenience?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Hey guys, looking for someone from the US to buy me a premium BF3 code using the current GMG 20% off voucher. Paypal you the price etc.

BF3 isn't visible on the Australian version of GMG :(

You can't gift GreenMan Gaming purchases nor buy a game twice, so you'd have to either share your account, allow the buyer to purchase it into a new account or find somebody that doesn't want it and buy it on their account and then give the key to you.

Get either a US VPN or a US Proxy and, with an US IP address, buy it in your regular GMG account. You can even pay using your international CC or PayPal.

Origin doesn't have region restrictions, so it won't care that you're registering an US key on an Australian IP. It's how I made my purchase.

MNC

You can't gift GreenMan Gaming purchases, so you'd have to give up your account.

Or allow the buyer to purchase it into a new account.

Or have somebody that doesn't want it and buy it on their account.

Get either a US VPN or a US Proxy and, with an US IP address, buy it in your regular GMG account. You can even pay using your international CC or PayPal.

Origin doesn't have region restrictions, so it won't care that you're registering an US key on an Australian IP. It's how I made my purchase.

The key can be bought and not used, then mailed/IMed to him. You have to enter the key in Origin, so it won't add to the buyer's Capsule account.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
The key can be bought and not used, then mailed/IMed to him. You have to enter the key in Origin, so it won't add to the buyer's Capsule account.

But if whoever bought it to him wants a copy for themselves (or already bought it), they won't be able to buy it again.

I've edited my post to make that clear.

feel

Been playing STALKER SOC recently, and I'm not digging the visuals as much as I thought I would after all these years waiting to play it. I'm using the Complete mod, should I give vanilla a try or it's the same but more outdated? The color pallette is unappealing and everything is bloomy here.

Blizzard

Banned
Been playing STALKER SOC recently, and I'm not digging the visuals as much as I thought I would after all these years waiting to play it. I'm using the Complete mod, should I give vanilla a try or it's the same but more outdated? The color pallette is unappealing and everything is bloomy here.
I wouldn't expect a lot of bloom from STALKER...would you post a screenshot for reference? There might be a lighting setting you can turn off.

Bought Thirty Flights of Loving; not sure what to make of it. It's so short that I really don't have an opinion. I would have loved a game where you fulfill missions like the tutorial from Gravity Bone. I like the style and it's quirkiness. For ~$5, why not, but I am still slightly disappointed that there wasn't much to it.

Anybody know what your options are if fate has dealt you an unlucky hand and you somehow use up all your Batman Arkham City activations AND machine installs? Are you just stuck with a useless title in your Steam library forever? Can you buy another key from a retail copy and attach it to the Steam one? Will any Steam bought dlc still work if so? I've read that you can call to ask for 1 more activation but is that it?

I ask because my pc crapped out on me before I could revoke (which also has a limit?) and ate an install for Arkham City and Fallout 3 if that also has the same limits. I've only lost 1 activation from each but I just wanted to know what I'd be able to do if the situation ever comes up and before I reinstall both.

Xanathus

Anybody know what your options are if fate has dealt you an unlucky hand and you somehow use up all your Batman Arkham City activations AND machine installs? Are you just stuck with a useless title in your Steam library forever? Can you buy another key from a retail copy and attach it to the Steam one? Will any Steam bought dlc still work if so? I've read that you can call to ask for 1 more activation but is that it?

I ask because my pc crapped out on me before I could revoke (which also has a limit?) and ate an install for Arkham City and Fallout 3 if that also has the same limits. I've only lost 1 activation from each but I just wanted to know what I'd be able to do if the situation ever comes up and before I reinstall both.

You'll have to call/email their support, and I think they'll want you to send them some sort of proof of purchase.

HoosTrax

I knew I should have started this before I went to bed. Ugh.

18055769.png

Too lazy to break out the calculator this early in the morning to figure out if that's accurate.

RedSwirl

Create shortcuts on desktop.. either copy/paste or move into start menu folder?
Make a shortcut to that folder on your desktop for convenience?

I don't use desktop shortcuts at all anymore. I don't even display them anymore, but I guess it's worth ugly-ing up my wallpaper for a few minutes to give it a shot.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

18055769.png

Too lazy to break out the calculator this early in the morning to figure out if that's accurate.

Assuming the 60MBps remains constant, the actual total transfer time will end up being roughly three hours.

1-D_FTW

I know there's a buy/sell trade, but I figured I'd give the guys in here first crack. Got a Borderlands 2 code with my GTX 660ti purchase. If somebody wants to buy it, let me know.

EDIT: CrookedRain wants it.

MNC

18055769.png

Why do you have Episode One installed?

Why does everyone keep so many games installed, even? I have about 20-30 games installed, max.

Ooooh, a borderlands code.

Atruvius

I know there's a buy/sell trade, but I figured I'd give the guys in here first crack. Got a Borderlands 2 code with my GTX 660ti purchase. If somebody wants to buy it, let me know.

I can give you Community Beta access for the code. Sounds fair, right. :D

Dmax3901

But if whoever bought it to him wants a copy for themselves (or already bought it), they won't be able to buy it again.

I've edited my post to make that clear.

So then I'm looking for someone who has no interest in/already has BF3 premium, is from the US, and isn't a thief.

Any takers? :p

gdt

Yeah, I don't get why people have so many games installed. I just keep whatever I'm playing now, and whatever games are next on the list when I finish these.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I like to have my entire Library installed since it saves me from having to later download something should I get the itch to play it. I've ran out of space on my 2TB drive, though -- I have around 80 games uninstalled and yet have just 15.3GB free.

wrowa

Yeah, I don't get why people have so many games installed. I just keep whatever I'm playing now, and whatever games are next on the list when I finish these.
Why delete games if you have enough space? If you have enough space on your HDD, it doesn't make a lot of sense to delete your games just so you have to re-download 10GB when you want to play a certain game again.

Ledsen

I've started downloading games and then putting them on my storage drive with Steam Mover, or backing them up using the Steam backup function... they don't take up space on my main drive but if I get the itch I can be playing them in a matter of minutes.

If you still have it, I'll buy it off of you. I've been trying to get my cousin to get a copy but he was too lazy to sign up for GMG to get a decent price on it. I won't be able to do it until later tonight though since I just got into work.

1-D_FTW

If you still have it, I'll buy it off of you. I've been trying to get my cousin to get a copy but he was too lazy to sign up for GMG to get a decent price on it. I won't be able to do it until later tonight though since I just got into work.

Still have it and that's fine. No rush:)

HoosTrax

Why delete games if you have enough space? If you have enough space on your HDD, it doesn't make a lot of sense to delete your games just so you have to re-download 10GB when you want to play a certain game again.
This pretty much. I'm in the US, and a 2TB hard drive combined with regular cable internet is a less expensive solution than FiOS combined with only keeping what I'm currently playing on disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom