• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sober

Is the Costume Quest also Halloween themed? I played the game last Halloween when it was the daily but never got around to the DLC.

Joe Molotov

How the fuck do you save in Miami Hotline? It played up to Chapter 3 and assumed it was autosaving, but when I started the game up again, I was back at the beginning (but with the masks and guns I'd unlocked). Now I've played it for about an hour and I'm afraid to shut it down again. Do you just have to beat the whole game in one sitting?

deleted

It being Halloween means everyone needs to buy and play Costume Quest.

Played and finished it three days ago (including the DLC). A nicely written, charming little game. It helps that you can skip most of the repeating sequences that lead into a battle.

You can finish it in about 6-7 hours and see everything, complete every sidequest. No mechanic overstays its welcome and you constantly get new costumes to try out. I'd recommend it and hope there will be a sequel.

Joe Molotov

LOL, wtf?

WbBN1.jpg

Can someone help me?, since today steam turns off randomly after a couple of seconds when I start it. It logs in, stays some seconds on steam window and the completly turns off.
Doesnt turn on when I turn up my computer as it usually does also.

I dont know how to fix this issue.

MNC

lol, love the way your categories are named. Also you can preload (if you have Steam installed) here

errrrrrrrrr what did i just install

Can someone help me?, since today steam turns off randomly after a couple of seconds when I start it. It logs in, stays some seconds on steam window and the completly turns off.

Keep restarting it. It's apparently the latest beta; I have the same problem.

dani_dc

Had this happen to me. It stopped happening after I deleted ClientRegistry.blob

errrrrrrrrr what did i just install

Keep restarting it. It's apparently the latest beta; I have the same problem.

Ive done that a few times (lots) and I still cant enter the damn thing.
Is it something it happens to a small amount of people and its going to be a long way until they fix it?
If I uninstall I delete my games no?

Had this happen to me. It stopped happening after I deleted ClientRegistry.blob

mmm, in which folder do you fin that? Thanks in advance.
EDIT, yeah a search also worked lol

tjohn86

So if there is a Halloween sale... does anyone think Hotline Miami will be part of it?

I want to play it but I know someday it will be $2.50

Im starting to get angry with steam, can someone explain me why steam is working for some people and not for me, and why I cant find anything on the internet of valve saying they are going to fix it?

mr. grape

http://www.bemineslugs.com/2012/10/23/groupees-halloween-bundle-coming-soon/

Guess what these are, GAF.

Game 1 teaser: Retro, Rpg
Game 2 teaser: It’s Cold
Game 3 teaser: Painted Dreams
Game 4 teaser: Can’t See
Game 5 teaser: After Dead

My guesses:

1: Manor of the Damned (EXTREMELY likely)
2: Cryostasis (VERY likely)
3: Either Anna (developer is Dreampainters), or Drawn: The Painted Tower
4. BlindSide (EXTREMELY likely)
5: No clue lol

Oh, and Shifty updated the teasers with what platform they're on, #1 is Desura/Greenlight, #4 is Desura, and the rest are Steam.

Wok

My guesses:

Oh, and Shifty updated the teasers with what platform they're on, #1 is Desura/Greenlight, #4 is Desura, and the rest are Steam.

I concur for games #1 and #4. I approve your choices for Cryostasis and Anna, since The Painted Tower is not scary at all.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Im starting to get angry with steam, can someone explain me why steam is working for some people and not for me, and why I cant find anything on the internet of valve saying they are going to fix it?

Did you try deleting ClientRegistry.blob? What does "not working" mean? What does "if steam goes out" mean?

Did you try deleting ClientRegistry.blob? What does "not working" mean? What does "if steam goes out" mean?

Yep, tried that. Deleting clientregistry.blob starts with an updating window and then the login. After a few seconds-minutes steam turns off completly. If I try to switch it on, it logins again and after some seconds it swtiches off again. The time of switching off can vary, but it doesnt stay more than 2 minutes on. If I try to play a game the game also switches off after some minutes.
I also restarted my computer, still doesnt work.

BTW I dont know if this has anything to do but the window were you can see your steam friends is on when steam starts, it never did that when steam worked.

camerooni

Neo Member
My guesses:

Why is this bundle not on the main 'Groupees' site.. ?
Seem off?

EDIT: oh nevermind.. they are no affiliated..

Cant not even play my games, as soon as im playing a game, if steam goes out after a few seconds the game also turns off. Unbelivable.
Do you have your account set-up for Steam Beta Updates? Opt out of that.

How do you that? I have little time to change anything before steam turns off.
In the main window, choose Steam -> Settings -> Under account, find Beta Participation and choose Change -> NONE - Opt out of all beta programs.

I opted out of the beta, still turns off.

EDIT: deleted the clientregistry.blob also, now it seems to work. BUT lots of games appear in yellow with the message necessary update.
EDIT2: Updating them one by one now.

Could the error have been that it tried to update all this games at the same time?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So I thought I'd do a couple more Stump-style write ups for games that I found to be rewarding experiences this year. I selected games that sort of fly under the radar during sales or get passed over for no particular reason.

First up: Risen and Risen 2: Dark Waters

The first Risen game was recommended to me a number of times by just one friend. I picked it up because he is usually on point, but I let it sit in my back log for a while. I ended up spending roughly 2 weeks with it back in May. It was pretty much the only single-player game I touched for those two weeks. It was a really great experience.

Why I found it to be rewarding:
  • The environment design is pretty much as good as it gets for RPGs. If you enjoy exploring in games like Fallout 3 or the Elder Scrolls series, you are pretty much guaranteed to enjoying exploring Risen's world. While the world isn't anywhere near as large as Bethesda's, it's just as smartly crafted to reward players who like to wander off the beaten path. One great example of this was when I discovered a cave that lead to the edge of a cliff. There appeared to be something tucked away on a cliff side across the valley so I used a levitation scroll to float across. I found a lovely sword tucked into a grave on the other side.
  • The dialogue is really sharply written and the voice acting is quite enjoyable. The main character tends to come off as a bit of a dick at times and it makes the conversations rather amusing. I never skipped any dialogue and was never really tempted to, something that becomes a bit of an issue with the information/narrative dump characters in Bioware games.
  • The plot is sort of one-size-fits-all fantasy complete with mages, the inquisition, bandits, and even pirates, but they make all the elements mesh together quite nicely. The factions are pleasantly developed as the plot progresses and they each have a nice unique feel to them. The stakes slowly increase over the course of the story, but by the end things are quite epic and the potential ramifications on the game world are massive.
  • The combat feels really tight. It's a bit hard early on in the game, but once you get used to blocking and timing attacks (and unlocked a couple other moves) it feels really rewarding. I thought the camera lock-on worked pretty well too. By the end of the game you feel pretty god-like running around the world one-hitting the animals that had terrorized you during the early hours.
  • The atmosphere is top-notch. The day-night cycle and occasional rain storms set the mood nicely. I actually tended to avoid traveling around at night. Wandering around caves and relying on torches for light feels appropriately dangerous too.
  • Learning thief related skills leads to a very rewarding experience. I get a bit OCD with looting things in RPGs and this game was heaven. No nonsensical weight limits and tons of locked chests to loot. Having to sneak into buildings at night to rob people blind was really entertaining as well.
Risen goes on sale pretty much every seasonal sale and I highly recommend grabbing it at the sub-15$ price point if you like RPGs and can look past a little jank. Oh and there are mods for fixing the ghetto distance foliage, but I had trouble getting them to work. I beat the entire game using my 360 pad with a custom Xpadder profile. I'm not sure why, I just did.

Since I beat the first Risen game around the release of the second, I held off purchasing it for fear of wearing myself out. After seriously mixed impressions filled the OT I decided to wait for a sale. I picked it up during a recent sale for 16$ and started it the next day. Similar to the first game, it ended up eating up all my game time for about two weeks. I loved it. It's definitely a different game from the first, but it shares a lot of the core values that I fell in love with.

Why I found it to be rewarding:
  • It's a love letter to everything pirates. I feel like I get very few quality pirate adventure videogames, so to get a game that embraces pirate culture so whole-heartedly was refreshing. It dips into cliche rather heavily at times, but I found it to be fun rather than a detriment.
  • Again, the environment design is top-tier. There is a different feel to it because the game takes place on a set of smaller islands instead of one larger one. Each island is still wonderfully intricate in design and there are tons of neat areas/things to find outside of the main quest. It's really gratifying to feel like you really know an island after travelling all over it for 5+ hours.
  • Even more so than the first game, the atmosphere is thick and wonderful. Night time looks amazing as do the thunderstorms. There was this incredible gameplay segment where I had just landed on a new island for the first time and I didn't have a map of it yet. It was night time and as I entered the jungle it began to rain. The only source of light I had was my torch. I was hopelessly lost trying to find the natives village but goddammit it was such a great feeling.
  • The dialogue feels like it was all written by one person except for the main character. Than they brought in this dick writer to write the main character and his reactions to what people are saying. It's absolutely hilarious. Basically your dialogue choices range from kindly dickish to supremely evil dick. It reminded me a lot of Alpha Protocol's main character. It's such a great fit for a character who has seen the end of the world, turned to drinking, and become a pirate.
  • Quest design is fun and nicely varied. The pacing becomes quite addictive as it never feels like you are in combat for too long before progressing the story through dialogue or exploration and vice versa.
The game isn't exactly a perfect follow-up to the original, particularly because of the combat which doesn't feel quite as tight as the first game. Bringing party members along with you and leveling up the sword skill do help quite a bit. Despite that imperfection, I still had a ton of fun during the 30ish hours I spent on the adventure. I highly recommend that anyone who enjoyed the first game check it out on the next sale.

Random note: I used the Risen 2 Modstarter with the following mods: Unofficial Patch 0.5, Dynamic Torch Light, Anti-Warp Ultra, and LOD Distance Mod. I highly recommend using all of these. The modstarter makes it incredibly easy.

Random note 2: I will be checking out the DLC eventually when it gets cheap again. I haven't heard the best things about it, but I will update these impressions for when the next sale is up.

Thanks for the writeup. Been a long time fan of the earlier Gothic games, so much so that I actually completed Gothic 3 at very close to 100%, but I just haven't been able to check out the latest games from the devs.

Anybody here play Gothic 4? Would like to hear how it compares to the Risen games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom