• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Random note 2: I will be checking out the DLC eventually when it gets cheap again. I haven't heard the best things about it, but I will update these impressions for when the next sale is up.

Gamersgate is having a sale on Risen 2 and it's DLC, which is currently 66% off. You can stack it with the 15% IGN coupon if you have it, and it's all Steamworks.

Anybody here play Gothic 4?

I did. For all of an hour or two. It's the most generic, lifeless RPG I have ever encountered. At least Two Worlds had the goofy attack animations...

If you want a game that's completely soulless play Gothic 4. Shallow, mindless combat. Heavily linear within dull, forgettable environments. Endless amounts of tedious fetch quests. Horrible writing [both dialogue and narrative] and voice acting alike.

Risen is a vastly superior game.

Miker

Just noticed that on Steam is highlighting games that came from Greenlight with a little badge. I like it, and I hope that it'll get more people to visit Greenlight.

camerooni

Neo Member
Anybody here play Gothic 4? Would like to hear how it compares to the Risen games.

It doesn't.. You can't go in expecting the same thing - you'll be disappointed..

Go in expecting a fluffy fantasy biff/spell/chat game and you'll be right - though don't play it after playing Quick Silver's adventure game 'Lost Horizon' as the main character has the same voice and he's a bit of a jack-ass in both and you will grow to hate him.

(Also.. Arcania has some of the worst voice acting I've ever heard in my life - and the conversation 'trees' are pretty much one choice 'options')..

Oh and it also has the cooking, crafting, etc. animations ala the Gothic games (if you turn them on in the options) but theres no reason to do so beyond watching the animation as anything can be crafted instantly in the inventory.. If they had have gone back in and enabled 'craft mode' or something so that you actually had to interact with those set pieces in order to do the crafting then it would have at least gotten closer to the gothic/risen games..

Gothic in name.. not much else - And really it was going to be called Arcania until an obviously last minute publishing decision from the jack-ass' at Jowood decided that adding Gothic to it would get people to buy the game due to the association and yet somehow not be disappointed by the fact that it was in fact not Gothic.. kinda short term gains at the expense of customer satisfaction.. obviously it worked out well for them ;)

snack

Anyone else having an issue with Steam not running when Windows first starts up? I just noticed recently that my Steam client isn't autobooting anymore.

Sysgen

Hmm, I select Tools and get a list of all my games in their categories with the bottom category "Tools" that has all my un-categorized games? Where are the "Tools"?

HoosTrax

Have you ever dreamed of building your own home from the ground up?
Wow thanks for the Skyrim - Hearthfire key :D. I stared at your post in confusion for a moment there, wondering if you were some kind of spammer for a land development company.

Edit: Oh nooo, now I have Japanese Hearthfire too lol

My Steam is crashing constantly all the sudden, I saw it around earlier, is it a beta thing?

Same thing happened to me (people helped me in the last page)
Try to do this and see if it works.
-Put on steam and quickly opt out of the beta in Steam>options
-It will tell you to restart steam after you do this.
-It will probably still crash after it restarts, so exit out of steam or let it crash
-Go to the steam folder and erase clientregistry.blop
-Restart steam, a window will tell you steam is updating, and then it will log with your username
-Now it should work without any crashes (maybe it will need to update some of the games in your library, just let steam do that)

Good luck.

Wow thanks for the Skyrim - Hearthfire key :D. I stared at your post in confusion for a moment there, wondering if you were some kind of spammer for a land development company.

Edit: Oh nooo, now I have Japanese Hearthfire too lol
XD, you're welcome. That's exactly what I was going for, I assumed the urge to quote would be too strong. lol.

I have no idea what the deal is with the Skyrim DLC...bizarre.

xJavonta

Banned
Finally ordered myself an Xbox Wireless Receiver for Windows. Got tired of dealing with my wired controller and my wireless ones are in better condition anyway.

camerooni

Neo Member
Finally ordered myself an Xbox Wireless Receiver for Windows. Got tired of dealing with my wired controller and my wireless ones are in better condition anyway.

Look forward to half-arsed work by dev's that require user-mods/fixes to get the wireless pad working correctly (the large publishers are the worst for this.. no names *cough* CAPCOM *cough*)..

I stopped using my wireless pad and bought a wired one for this reason - but maybe it is better now?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Look forward to half-arsed work by dev's that require user-mods/fixes to get the wireless pad working correctly (the large publishers are the worst for this.. no names *cough* CAPCOM *cough*)..

I stopped using my wireless pad and bought a wired one for this reason - but maybe it is better now?
You have to manually install the drivers, but I only had to do this once. The range is also pretty phenomenal. I bought a 50ft HDMI cable so I can game in the living room and leave the computer in the computer room.

camerooni

Neo Member
You have to manually install the drivers, but I only had to do this once. The range is also pretty phenomenal. I bought a 50ft HDMI cable so I can game in the living room and leave the computer in the computer room.

I had the wireless drivers installed.. if I hit the 'guide' button an overlay would appear on the windows desktop showing what 'controller port' (lol) it was connected to.. still didn't function properly a lot of the time :/

Sarcasm

Only downsides to the wireless for PC is it drops sometimes. Also some games not all the buttons are supported on the wireless one.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
How in the living hell do I stop Steam from resetting my shortcuts? I might have to finally break down and categorize my games too >>

HoosTrax

Borderlands vanished from my installed game list. Seems like it is happening to others as well. I selected install and I guess it is updating to the new Steam file system so far so good. Hopefully I didn't lose my saves.

Anyone else notice this??
Yeah I just noticed this as well. Luckily all of my BL1 files were still there, so nothing new needed to be downloaded and doing Install fixed it.

The latest beta code seems very...raw. Buggy. Whatever you want to call it.

Nabs

How in the living hell do I stop Steam from resetting my shortcuts? I might have to finally break down and categorize my games too >>

Steam\userdata\<userid>\7\remote\sharedconfig.vdf

Back that up or make sure you quit steam properly and let it sync with the cloud.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like betraying my post on the "boycotted games" thread. I'm really tempted with the Bioshock franchise deal from Amazon. Is the DRM tolerable? The free games I got from Origin have already infected my PC with SecuROM, so I feel it won't be much of a problem now, unless there's severe restrictions like an activation limit. From what I've read, only Bioshock 2 has it, and it's set by GFWL, which can be bypassed by playing with an offline account. Is that true?

Caerith

Played and finished it three days ago (including the DLC). A nicely written, charming little game. It helps that you can skip most of the repeating sequences that lead into a battle.

You can finish it in about 6-7 hours and see everything, complete every sidequest. No mechanic overstays its welcome and you constantly get new costumes to try out. I'd recommend it and hope there will be a sequel.
I would Kickstart the heck out of that.

I just love the humor in these. Reminds me of the screwball dead-pan Naked Gun kinda jokery. Sadly I think I got burnt out on TF2 right around the MvM update. Just can't bring myself to play it as often as I used to anymore, though that might also be because I lot of the guys I used to play with have moved on.
Same. I got a bit tired of TF2 myself, but I doubt I'll ever get tired of the expanded universe.

Blizzard

Banned
I just shut down like normal ><
Well aside from backing up that file, if you right click the Steam icon in your system tray and click Exit, and wait for it to close before shutting down your computer, hopefully that will stop it from happening. It's unfortunate but that might be a workaround.

So I just got an email from steam.

Dear Steam User,

This is an automated message generated by Steam account administration. It is being sent in response to a query made by a Steam user to discover all account names associated with this email address.

Should I be concerned?

So I just got an email from steam.

Should I be concerned?
If you used a CD key from a giveaway or something, someone else can put that in and hit a button when it comes back as a duplicate key to send e-mails like that to the one registered to the account. Some people do that out of spite I guess. Nothin' to worry about.

TMB, your new avatar, I don't even recognize you anymore man.

What in the fuck is my Steam library doing... I was getting constant Borderlands 2 crashes when I tried to start it (couldn't get past the video logo screens), so I opted out of the BPM beta, reverted to regular steam layout, and now like 90% of my games have "update required" and my hard drive is making tons of noise while it downloads updates. A lot of which it says are 0 bytes. And Borderlands 2 still doesn't work...

xJavonta

Banned

Really? Fuck. Well I still have my wired pad for those occasions, but when it works I'll most definitely be going wireless most of the time. I can deal with the issues.

Yeah I read that in the reviews for the product on Amazon. I don't mind installing the drivers and all that stuff, it's better than using a PS3 controller and Motioninjoy to get wireless.

naib

Was fighting the urge to get XCOM, caved and bought a key from GMG.
That's it. I'm done for this pay period.

WotR looks pretty cool. Never gave M&B a fair chance.. try some demos.. buy Chivalry.
Stop.

This Hotline Miami game looks like a trip.
Fuck.

I don't regret any of these purchases. But shit, gaming is my most expensive vice.
And I have many vices. :lol

Hotline Miami is the biggest surprise though. Almost an instant classic.

If you used a CD key from a giveaway or something, someone else can put that in and hit a button when it comes back as a duplicate key to send e-mails like that to the one registered to the account. Some people do that out of spite I guess. Nothin' to worry about.

TMB, your new avatar, I don't even recognize you anymore man.

A tart toter has gotta tote.

camerooni

Neo Member
So did anybody get a Game of Dwarves? If so how is it?

I've heard mixed reports but alas I don't have it.. JaseC will have it ;) Though it may be a while before we find out if he's played it!

RPS said it was a game: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/24/a-game-of-dwarves-pc-review/

Some people seem to think it was meant to be a Dungeon Keeper and are disappointed that it's not , but I'm not sure that was the case (I believe that's Paradox's upcoming 'Impire').. I always thought it was going to be more of a Theme Hospital style of thing which I kind of want more than another DK variant.

I guess it depends on expectations etc. it is only 10 bucks (8 with the coupon from GreenMan), I'm really tempted by it, but I keep buying games and never play them.. <steam thread represent>

JustinBB7

Same thing happened to me (people helped me in the last page)
Try to do this and see if it works.
-Put on steam and quickly opt out of the beta in Steam>options
-It will tell you to restart steam after you do this.
-It will probably still crash after it restarts, so exit out of steam or let it crash
-Go to the steam folder and erase clientregistry.blop
-Restart steam, a window will tell you steam is updating, and then it will log with your username
-Now it should work without any crashes (maybe it will need to update some of the games in your library, just let steam do that)

Good luck.

Seems fixed for now. It's validating garry's mod files but that's it. Hasn't crashed in like 2 mins now so.

Just started playing I Am Alive and have to say I am definitely enjoying it. What's GAF's opinion on this game?

Best silent hill game for a long time... Although still not a good one.

I really enjoyed it and highly recommend it to all. It has flaws, but they never really get in the way and it doesn't outstay it's welcome like a lot of modern games.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Has Devil May Cry 4 ever been on sale? I hope it goes on sale for $5 or less.

I wouldn't count on that -- it hasn't gone for more than half off since the Christmas/Winter Sale of 2010, and the base price hasn't budged from $20 for at least two years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom