• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

I am doing a Steamgifts giveaway for the Deus Ex Human Revolution: Augmented Edition key that I got from Amazon a couple of weeks ago.

GAF members only. Quote to reveal URL .

Avoid entering if you aren't going to play the game to give others a better chance of winning!

H13

I am doing a Steamgifts giveaway for the Deus Ex Human Revolution: Augmented Edition key that I got from Amazon a couple of weeks ago.

GAF members only. Quote to reveal URL .

Avoid entering if you aren't going to play the game to give others a better chance of winning!

crap,cannot enter the giveaway,my account worth is less than 100 USD.
only half of it X.X

1-D_FTW

I highly doubt KoA will ever see a discount on Steam, 38 Studios self-published it for the Steam release and well they no longer exist

Amalur will be $60 until it gets pulled whenever Steam runs out of keys

So you're saying it'll be on Steam forever?

Eh, I think we will still manage to get some sort of sale.

Right there with you. And if they never drop the price, it wasn't meant to be.

Smash88

Banned
Kingdoms of Amalur was on sale on Origin not too long ago for 50%..... So it doesn't make sense why it won't go on sale on Steam.

EA publishes it on Origin, 38 self-published on Steam.

Ugh, that's lame. Full price for everything is brutal!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ugh, that's lame. Full price for everything is brutal!

I paid full price for the DLC back during the Summer Sale as I wanted to grab it before the game was taken down, which I assumed was just around the corner since 38 Studios had recently shut up shop. A bitter pill to swallow when that $25 would have otherwise gone a relatively long way. If the game had gone on sale, I probably would've put the money saved towards the Lego Harry Potter games... which I'm still missing.

[*]The plot is sort of one-size-fits-all fantasy complete with mages, the inquisition, bandits, and even pirates, but they make all the elements mesh together quite nicely. The factions are pleasantly developed as the plot progresses and they each have a nice unique feel to them. The stakes slowly increase over the course of the story, but by the end things are quite epic and the potential ramifications on the game world are massive.
[*]The combat feels really tight. It's a bit hard early on in the game, but once you get used to blocking and timing attacks (and unlocked a couple other moves) it feels really rewarding. I thought the camera lock-on worked pretty well too. By the end of the game you feel pretty god-like running around the world one-hitting the animals that had terrorized you during the early hours.
[/LIST]
I guess I'd disagree on those two points, although I still really enjoyed Risen. I thought the plot was fairly uninteresting in the first half but exploration covered up the faults, and outright boring in the second half (or final third) when you're forced to go into same-y dungeons. In my playthrough the characterization and whatnot was extremely front-loaded, with too much of the development being focused on joining thieves/mages/etc and their early stuff, and almost nothing once the plot gets going.

As for combat, it got better as the game progressed but iirc you're still massively punished for using anything other than sword+shield because blocking won't stop animals otherwise, and late-game encounters were way too reliant on Fred to avoid getting mobbed. That said, it's still far, FAR better than Gothic 3 even after the community patch.

So I noticed an odd thing last night with the number of games I have. A few nights ago I checked the number of games I have and then last night after adding the Dishonored I won I noticed that the number of games was still the same as it was a few nights ago instead of being one higher. I am at a loss to find any game that is missing from my list.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I guess I'd disagree on those two points, although I still really enjoyed Risen. I thought the plot was fairly uninteresting in the first half but exploration covered up the faults, and outright boring in the second half (or final third) when you're forced to go into same-y dungeons. In my playthrough the characterization and whatnot was extremely front-loaded, with too much of the development being focused on joining thieves/mages/etc and their early stuff, and almost nothing once the plot gets going.

I didn't even encounter the mages until about half-way through my playthrough. I thought it was interesting how you witnessed the dynamic between them and the inquistion in the second half of the plot.

I guess it depends how you play the game though.

Wok

So I noticed an odd thing last night with the number of games I have. A few nights ago I checked the number of games I have and then last night after adding the Dishonored I won I noticed that the number of games was still the same as it was a few nights ago instead of being one higher. I am at a loss to find any game that is missing from my list.

Which number of games are we talking about? On the profile page, I have a friend with 34 games and if you want to see them, you can only find 8 games. The discrepancy depends on DLCs and betas.

I didn't even encounter the mages until about half-way through my playthrough. I thought it was interesting how you witnessed the dynamic between them and the inquistion in the second half of the plot.

I guess it depends how you play the game though.
That's about when I encountered them. I actually think that's one of the game's major flaws that I didn't actually experience: if you don't start with the bandits I think you miss out on a good chunk of the game. I just remember the dynamic you're referring to ending shortly after the intro mage quests; once you're off looking for the armor bits or seal chunks or whatever the plot just withers, and a lot of the remaining plot points are painfully obvious.

And the final boss sequence was terrible.

JaseC

I don't think you're actually missing anything. Yesterday, my game count was the same as it was the day before, despite purchasing Tiny Soldiers Troopers, but after reading your post I checked again and it's gone up.

Edit: Deponia is today's Daily Deal; 50% off/$9.99.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
anybody hosting a left 4 dead 2 four pack? i need a copy for a friend...
i would do it but i'm from germany :p

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Once you're off looking for the armor bits or seal chunks or whatever the plot just withers, and a lot of the remaining plot points are painfully obvious.

And the final boss sequence was terrible.

I didn't really have issues with how cliched both games get. The boss is lame, but that accounts for like 10 minutes of a 30+ hour game and I chose to focus my write ups on what I found so rewarding/good that I could look past the flaws.

So Deponia is the daily deal. Any gaffers who have played it? Have waaaay to many adventure games I have not finished or even started playing but whats one more, right?

I don't think you're actually missing anything. Yesterday, my game count was the same as it was the day before, despite purchasing Tiny Soldiers Troopers, but after reading your post I checked again and it's gone up.

Edit: Deponia is today's Daily Deal; 50% off/$9.99.

Yeah a few days ago I was at 219 (a paltry sum compared to your numbers) and after adding the Dishonored gift I was still at 219.

Wok this was in the client itself in the all games drop-down it tells you how many games you have (not counting DLC like the store page does).

Tomodachi

So Deponia is the daily deal. Any gaffers who have played it? Have waaaay to many adventure games I have not finished or even started playing but whats one more, right?
Ha, same here, so many adventure games I haven't even launched once.
I dig its style though. Still, too pricey for an impulse buy, I'm afraid I won't bite this time.

*que Skrillex - Bangarang*

0x2F6.jpg

n0mMk.jpg

1NjJC.jpg

2vWqo.jpg

And I already got an achievement!

It was go bankrupt in your first day!

FinKL

L4D2 is 5 bucks. 4-pack is 15.

L4D is also 5. Get both games for 7.50.

Happy Days! I would just get L4D2, the L4D campaigns are free DLC for L4D2.

Though, I didn't know until now you can't buy a 4-pack to gift all of the copies for friends as I already have the game. Guess it always "attaches" 1 copy to your account in a 4-pack to prevent stockpiling of copies? =/

No way around I assume?

JaseC

Though obvious by now, the Halloween Sale didn't begin as it should have (granted, there's only a single point of data that suggests it should've begun today, but I digress). However, given the 31st is a Wednesday, it's possible that the sale will coincide with/replace next week's Midweek Madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom