• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gala

Screw you Gaben! At first Ctuhlhu: Dark Corners of the Earth was under the Halloween sale games with 0% off...and then it disappeared.

I want it so bad : /

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
My mouse is moving closer to the buy button.

It's one of the better examples of the Point & Click adventure medium. The art and sound drip of atmosphere and while the characters are a little goofy at times its horror is very subtle and creeps in rather than overtly beats you over the head. Highly recommended, though END SPOILERS
The payoff at the end with the final cutscene was shit and I felt a little let down. Perhaps the prehistoric looking CG hurt the effect it was meant to have but a sprawling retarded child wanting a hug isn't exactly the scare I was looking for.
. Also, the final visit or whatever is bad and explains everything which sort of ruins any amount of imagination left.

Very solid with only one moonlogic puzzle I can think of.

ShaneB

Might pick up Condemned. All I ever played of it was the demo when I first got my 360 oh so long ago.

edit: Steam down for me too. Shocking.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Activating this on Steam and it's taking forever. Valve has to realize that service should not degrade because of a sale.

Steam just went down on me so I can't activate anything. My key from Gamersgate for the Magicka DLC says invalid anyway.

RetroGreg

I would recommend Hell Yeah. I bought it for full price a couple weeks ago and it's been a lot of fun for the hour or two I've spent with it so far. I love the art style. It also works perfectly with a 360 controller.

Joe Molotov

Which is the best of the Sherlock Holmes' games?

The new one (Testament of Sherlock Holmes) is the most refined from a presentation standpoint, but it's also really easy. Some of the earlier ones had harder puzzles, but were a lot more janky. So...it's kinda hard to say. I'm playing Testament right now and I'm enjoying it, but it's not challenging at all. It depends on what you want out of it, I guess.

XeroSauce

Blah, I picked up Rock of Ages, it seems like a fun game I'll play every once in a while

Some great humour and gameplay but only in small chunks. I made the mistake of rushing through some campaign stuff and got bored enough to not want to start up again.

The new one (Testament of Sherlock Holmes) is the most refined from a presentation standpoint, but it's also really easy. Some of the earlier ones had harder puzzles, but were a lot more janky. So...it's kinda hard to say. I'm playing Testament right now and I'm enjoying it, but it's not challenging at all. It depends on what you want out of it, I guess.

I'd have to agree; the new one is very great looking game. Polished, refined controls, etc. There's some puzzling through things, but I'd say the best one to pick up is either The Awakened or Jack the Ripper. Depends on if you want a story based on Cthuhlu/Lovecraft lore or Jack the Ripper.

What say GAF about the daily deal: The Club?
i liked what i played of it on 360, very no frills arcadey score attack-based shooter. i think i'll bite on the pc version even if i dunno how it handles on kb&m just because it's cheap enough to not matter.

my damage so far:

TZsox.png

DenisQc

http://forums.sleepingdogs.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3457

The Sleeping Dogs 1.7 update will be going live on Steam today. This update closely mirrors that of the recent console update and adds support for the Nightmare in North Point DLC in addition to several bug fixes and a few new features.

Feature Updates
* Aim-assist Option - A new option exists in the Game & Controls menu to enable/disable the auto-aim feature that assists the player in locking onto enemies while using guns.

* .40Cal Gun Unlock - Upon completing the main story missions and returning to any safehouse, the Golden .40Cal pistol will be available.

* Increased Daytime - Daytime should now last noticeably longer, but night time duration should remain the same (increasingly the real-time duration of the in-game 24hr cycle).

* Disable GPS Arrows Option - A new option exists in the Game & Controls menu to disable the in-world GPS arrows that indicate where to turn when navigating to a destination.

* In-game DLC Store Access - Wherever the user can see the infoticker while in-game (wardrobe, clothing & vehicle stores, garage, pause menu) there will be a button callout to open the Steam DLC store in-game.

* New Super-SWAT Outfit and Supercharged Police Cruiser unlocks – For owners of the Police Protection Pack, the Super-SWAT outfit and the supercharged police cruiser vehicle will become available. Owners of the Dragon Master Pack will receive this as well.

catabarez

Anyone know how to get Condemned running in 1080p? I can only seem to make the menus fill the screen, gameplay is still pillarboxed.

Isn't it native? I have it from Amazon and had no problems with it I think.

I still might get this game on Steam though. I like everything one place.

Are you into first-person adventures with a creepy atmosphere, and strong story ? :D
Well, I just played through Dear Ester today, and besides the walking being a little slow I would say that I enjoyed it.

It's one of the better examples of the Point & Click adventure medium. The art and sound drip of atmosphere and while the characters are a little goofy at times its horror is very subtle and creeps in rather than overtly beats you over the head. Highly recommended, though END SPOILERS
The payoff at the end with the final cutscene was shit and I felt a little let down. Perhaps the prehistoric looking CG hurt the effect it was meant to have but a sprawling retarded child wanting a hug isn't exactly the scare I was looking for.
. Also, the final visit or whatever is bad and explains everything which sort of ruins any amount of imagination left.

Very solid with only one moonlogic puzzle I can think of.
It is good to hear that it is not overtly scary. I like atmosphere but I don't like horror movies.

Eideka

Banned
I have no idea where to put it but those of you who are looking forward to AC 3 on PC better cancel your pre-order.
This is quite old (May 2012) but it confirms that Ubi Soft Kiev is in charge of the port.
Sure, Revelations may have been a decent one but those guys were behind the unspeakable Future Soldier on PC.

http://assassinscreed.su/news/aif_ukraina_beret_intervju_u_ubisoft_kiev/2012-05-15-157
On the release date Assassin's Creed 3 on the PC in the CIS developers prefer not to spread. Ubisoft Kiev involved in porting the game to PC, and for the work they need a ready-made original console version. Such a response is, alas, involves delayed release. As staff UbiKiev gently hinted that the "ten million downloaded pirated against several hundred thousand, purchased licenses" does not contribute to the simultaneous release on PC and consoles.

That's a shame, it could have been a wonderful game on PC.

iNvid02

I have no idea where to put it but those of you who are looking forward to AC 3 on PC better cancel your pre-order.
This is quite old (May 2012) but it confirms that Ubi Soft Kiev is in charge of the port.
Sure, Revelations may have been a decent one but those guys were behind the unspeakable Future Soldier on PC.

http://assassinscreed.su/news/aif_ukraina_beret_intervju_u_ubisoft_kiev/2012-05-15-157

OwFWl.jpg

jesus christ, even now future soldier will be receiving another patch around december for more performance fixes - this a game that came out in june.

FFFUUUUCCKCKKKKK

HoosTrax

I'm starting to get paranoid that I'm going to lose power due to the hurricane at the exact moment in time the game I'm playing autosaves and it ends up corrupted.

I can just go into offline mode right now right? Then if that worst happens, I can switch into online mode and it should ask whether to sync from Cloud?

(Oh and yay for getting the day off work for weather reasons!)

Edit: ok, I'm definitely not just being paranoid. I was loading up a BL2 save and my power blinked out at the same time :S

zkylon

zkylewd

Well I just saved me some 60 dollars.

dreamfall

Hopefully there'll be footage or RPS impressions or something before AC3 hits PC. I wouldn't instantly rule it out yet

I like your optimism! I'm going with this- although I'm dying to play it, I could just pick up on console but it'll be interesting to wait it out. I wish we'd have gotten some footage or confirmation that is was indeed alright.

Derrick01

Banned
One would hope that AC is too important to ubisoft to let a terrible port get by. We know it's going to have a lot of extra features but if the game don't work then it doesn't matter.

I'm debating whether to wait or get the ps3 version tomorrow. On the one hand it'll be nice not to wait 3 extra weeks and it has the 4 exclusive missions, on the other it's more expensive and I can get AC3 and Hitman on the same day on PC.

Well it does say "involved with" which is not necessarily "in charge of", right?
I hadn't heard of Ubisoft Kiev before this is apparently what they've worked on:
  • 2009 - Tom Clancy's HAWX (Porting to PC)
  • 2009 - Assassin's Creed II (porting to Mac OS)
  • 2010 - Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (porting to Mac OS)
  • 2010 - Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction (porting to Mac OS)
  • 2011 - From Dust (porting to PC)
  • 2011 - Driver: San Francisco (porting to PC)
  • 2011 - Assassin's Creed: Revelations (porting to PC)
  • 2012 - Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier (ported to the PC)

Regardless I'll probably go for the console version anyway, I don't want to wait a month because ubisoft thinks all pc users are pirates.

Salsa

Also future soldier still getting patches is a sign of a good thing rather than bad. Maybe they learned their lesson

Edit : oh wait these are the guys who ported revelations?? We might be worrying at nothing then. Future soldier is the exception here, not the other way around. Safe to think that they won't have issues with 3 since it's just the next version of the same engine
chill

Derrick01

Banned
Well it does say "involved with" which is not necessarily "in charge of", right?
I hadn't heard of Ubisoft Kiev before this is apparently what they've worked on:

Regardless I'll probably go for the console version anyway, I don't want to wait a month because ubisoft thinks all pc users are pirates.

Didn't from dust and driver have big PC problems when it came out too?

derFeef

The most disappointing port to me is Dishonored this year so far. Save system is completely broken for me, it crahes on saves and loads constantly. :( I can't play it...

Eideka

Banned
One would hope that AC is too important to ubisoft to let a terrible port get by. We know it's going to have a lot of extra features but if the game don't work then it doesn't matter.
You make sense, too much for Ubi I'm afraid. :(
Thanks for having quoted my post in the OT I figured that PC gamers would be in majority here.

I'm debating whether to wait or get the ps3 version tomorrow. On the one hand it'll be nice not to wait 3 extra weeks and it has the 4 exclusive missions, on the other it's more expensive and I can get AC3 and Hitman on the same day on PC.

Don't hesitate and go for the PS3 version, DX11 and HD textures are not worth the hassles of making your game run.

Yeah, both terrible ports.

I'm starting to believe those guys are just incompetent.

zkylon

zkylewd
Aww, why do you have to be suck killjoys and make me buy ACIII?

The most disappointing port to me is Dishonored this year so far. Save system is completely broken for me, it crahes on saves and loads constantly. :( I can't play it...
Damn that sucks.

Salsa

Don't hesitate and go for the PS3 version, DX11 and HD textures are not worth the hassles of making your game run.

Yeah, both terrible ports.

I'm starting to believe those guys are just incompetent.

you keep taking revelations out of the equation even though that was recent and the most fair thing to compare considering it's another ass creed.

Again, imo I'd wait for footage

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Edit: Derp, nevermind someone already mentioned it on this page.

Closure is 50% off and I'm pretty sure it wasn't before (or was initially but got taken down) because I bought everything on my WL that was 50% or more discounted and it was still there.

HoosTrax

Oh ffs, I think I have to move on to my laptop. The 'cane has managed to knock out my power half a dozen times within the past hour.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
From what I understand Driver SF has several details and post-processing effects missing in the PC port. And it has worse lightning or something like that. I haven't played the console versions so it didn't bother me, but I can see how it could piss people off, decreasing the graphic quality and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom