• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosTrax

power went out for me for a little while as well and then proceeded to blink a bunch

seems to have stabilized now though
I'm seriously considering investing in a UPS for situations like this, where there aren't extended outages, just "blinks" as you say.

Edit: I found one on Amazon for $60. Which is specced to keep a 330W system up for 3 min. Yeah...that's probably not going to cut it. I did anticipate these being very expensive.

Tomodachi

I'm seriously considering investing in a UPS for situations like this, where there aren't extended outages, just "blinks" as you say.
I think just a good PSU will do, I have a 550W Corsair VX and, when there are "blinks", lights go out even for a whole second and even the router is rebooted but my PC still stays on. A good PSU is very important and one of the first components one should look into when building a new PC.

HoosTrax

I think just a good PSU will do, I have a 550W Corsair VX and, when there are "blinks", lights go out even for a whole second and even the router is rebooted but my PC still stays on. A good PSU is very important and one of the first components one should look into when building a new PC.
I actually have a Corsair HX1000, and it does keep my PC up for really brief blinks (the capacitors I guess). But we're talking about outages that last like 5 seconds or so.

There was a blink about a half an hour ago, where both my monitors blacked out, but my PC kept running, so yeah, the PSU can help a bit if the outage is super brief.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
From what I understand Driver SF has several details and post-processing effects missing in the PC port. And it has worse lightning or something like that. I haven't played the console versions so it didn't bother me, but I can see how it could piss people off, decreasing the graphic quality and all.
Driver: SF was fixed with an ENB mod. And unlike the console version, the multiplayer runs at 60fps and it has wheel support. The port wasn't great but it's still the definitive version. Same goes for the AC franchise.

Tomodachi

I actually have a Corsair HX1000, and it does keep my PC up for really brief blinks (the capacitors I guess). But we're talking about outages that last like 5 seconds or so.

There was a blink about a half an hour ago, where both my monitors blacked out, but my PC kept running, so yeah, the PSU can help a bit if the outage is super brief.
Oh my bad, I read "blinks" as opposed to long outages and I immediately thought about less than one second events, should have read better :)

With The Club being the daily deal, I'm curious to know if anyone has encountered the infinite update loop error with GFWL on initial launch.

The most disappointing port to me is Dishonored this year so far. Save system is completely broken for me, it crahes on saves and loads constantly. :( I can't play it...

Possibly a problem on your end, unless this is a more widespread issue that I simply I haven't heard of. I've played Dishonored for nearly thirty hours and haven't experienced a single crash.

Dunno why folks are up in arms over the AC3 port based on some report on some unknown site. The last few AC games have been pretty decent, barring a few issues like wireless controller support, shadow dithering and stuff. Nowhere near what I'd call a bad port. I certainly don't think there's a need to "cancel pre-orders" and declare that the sky is falling based on this flimsy information.

camerooni

Neo Member
Steam just went down on me

I had this dream last week.. it was hot :p

I'm in this Halloween sale for Dead Space (3.75 in a aus woot!), prototype 2, and condemned I think - I can fully support a SEGA release that doesn't have austax and is 50% off on the first day.. also tempted by the club because no austax - someone at SEGA must be ill.

Also future soldier still getting patches is a sign of a good thing rather than bad. Maybe they learned their lesson

Edit : oh wait these are the guys who ported revelations?? We might be worrying at nothing then. Future soldier is the exception here, not the other way around. Safe to think that they won't have issues with 3 since it's just the next version of the same engine
chill

It's still three duff ports out of the last four, and considering it's not the same engine as Revelations I'd be assuming the worst.

Salsa

It's still three duff ports out of the last four, and considering it's not the same engine as Revelations I'd be assuming the worst.

it's the next version of the same engine. I know we're talking about Ubi here but Ass Creed is the biggest thing they've got going on. I doubt theyd risk something like this. Port is coming a month later and they've been talking a lot about getting rid of the DRM service and all that. Idk, i'd wait.

catabarez

With The Club being the daily deal, I'm curious to know if anyone has encountered the infinite update loop error with GFWL on initial launch.

Possibly a problem on your end, unless this is a more widespread issue that I simply I haven't heard of. I've played Dishonored for nearly thirty hours and haven't experienced a single crash.

I think I'm dealing with this. It is also taking forever for my account to sign in. Any ideas?

you keep taking revelations out of the equation even though that was recent and the most fair thing to compare considering it's another ass creed.

Again, imo I'd wait for footage

Same here, considering how important AC is to Ubisoft compared to Future Solider, I can't see them letting a shitty port release.

Hmm, I enjoyed the premise of Orcs Must Die but I couldn't progress far into the game because even at the lowest sensitivity the mouse aiming was too twitchy. I tried the demo for 2 and it seems like they fixed that; and you start with a gun that's prone to gibbing orcs.

I'm tempted. Oh I'm tempted.

Goddam big arse Sleeping Dogs update and here I am at work thinking about going Hong Kong fuey tonight but now I have to put it on hold for the update!

HoosTrax

Oh boy...it turns out Divinity II: Developer's Cut is considered a completely separate game and it's trying to download 8GB worth of it when I already have Divinity DKS installed.

Ugh first world problems, first world problems.

Edit: Also, one is "Divinity II" and the other is "Divinity 2".

Eusis

Oh boy...it turns out Divinity II: Developer's Cut is considered a completely separate game and it's trying to download 8GB worth of it when I already have Divinity DKS installed.

Ugh first world problems, first world problems.

Edit: Also, one is "Divinity II" and the other is "Divinity 2".
... Huh. I'm just glad I got it, and they didn't pull a Doom 3 BFG by association.

That bit with AC3 IS worrying, but I figure if I'm getting it it'll be on Wii U anyway. Or I could just get it for PS3 for connectivity to Liberation, whatever.

Really glad that I picked up Orcs Must Die 2. I'm liking it a lot more than I did the first game. Co-op makes the formula feel fresh, and it works well too. My friend loves wizard/mage characters so I ended up going with the main hero from the first game. I love the shotgun so much more than the crossbow.

I was wondering what that was.

Patch Notes:
The Sleeping Dogs 1.7 update will be going live on Steam today. This update closely mirrors that of the recent console update and adds support for the Nightmare in North Point DLC in addition to several bug fixes and a few new features.

Feature Updates
* Aim-assist Option - A new option exists in the Game & Controls menu to enable/disable the auto-aim feature that assists the player in locking onto enemies while using guns.

* .40Cal Gun Unlock - Upon completing the main story missions and returning to any safehouse, the Golden .40Cal pistol will be available.

* Increased Daytime - Daytime should now last noticeably longer, but night time duration should remain the same (increasingly the real-time duration of the in-game 24hr cycle).

* Disable GPS Arrows Option - A new option exists in the Game & Controls menu to disable the in-world GPS arrows that indicate where to turn when navigating to a destination.

* In-game DLC Store Access - Wherever the user can see the infoticker while in-game (wardrobe, clothing & vehicle stores, garage, pause menu) there will be a button callout to open the Steam DLC store in-game.

* New Super-SWAT Outfit and Supercharged Police Cruiser unlocks – For owners of the Police Protection Pack, the Super-SWAT outfit and the supercharged police cruiser vehicle will become available. Owners of the Dragon Master Pack will receive this as well.

Dunno why folks are up in arms over the AC3 port based on some report on some unknown site. The last few AC games have been pretty decent, barring a few issues like wireless controller support, shadow dithering and stuff. Nowhere near what I'd call a bad port. I certainly don't think there's a need to "cancel pre-orders" and declare that the sky is falling based on this flimsy information.

The AC2, ACB and ACR ports were all outstanding. Full 5760x1080 support, 3D vision, etc etc.

Fjordson

Anyone ever run Fallout 3 on a non-gaming laptop?

It's a Samsung with 4 GB of RAM and a core i3 @ 2.4 GHz which seems fine, but it has one of those integrated Intel GMA chips which I'd guess is the weak link here.

jediyoshi

Ow, was hoping Orcs Must Die 2 DLC would be cheaper, guess I'll hold out till winter. Just got the club so far, only other thing I'm looking out for is the sleeping dogs dlc.

Tess3ract

Banned
Wait what, you get Divinity II: Director's Cut if you own DKS already?

FUCK!

I bought the collection on GOG the other day...I wasted my money :(

Holy crap... 51GB for FEAR

FEAR.png

Anyone ever run Fallout 3 on a non-gaming laptop?

It's a Samsung with 4 GB of RAM and a core i3 @ 2.4 GHz which seems fine, but it has one of those integrated Intel GMA chips which I'd guess is the weak link here.

Do happen to know what generation Core i3 you have? The ivy bridge ones should be able to run the game fine the older ones not so much. There might be a mod like the oblivion one to make it preform better on old hardware and integrated chipsets (what you have). I can't find one, but if there is one the people who frequent the Fallout mod thread would know.

Tess3ract

Banned
that can't be right. Fear 1 is about 12~ gb give or take, and each expansion in steam is treated like it's own game because steam is stupid. That's still only around 30

Why in the fuck does Mutant Blob Attacks require you to use both a controller and the mouse? They really couldn't have added the telekinesis mechanic to the right thumbstick? Really?

Croc

Banned
Is anyone else getting random notifications now on Steam? I'm on OSX and for the past couple of days sometimes when I hover over the icon on the dock there will be a red notification but when I click the icon nothing pops up.

In my previous experience it's usually chat related. For some reason the chat window doesn't pop up. One time when I had one of the notifications I double clicked a friend's name who I chat on Steam a lot and there were messages there I hadn't seen before. But as I said, the chat window had never popped up. After I saw the messages though the notification went away.

wilflare

Is anyone else getting random notifications now on Steam? I'm on OSX and for the past couple of days sometimes when I hover over the icon on the dock there will be a red notification but when I click the icon nothing pops up.

In my previous experience it's usually chat related. For some reason the chat window doesn't pop up. One time when I had one of the notifications I double clicked a friend's name who I chat on Steam a lot and there were messages there I hadn't seen before. But as I said, the chat window had never popped up. After I saw the messages though the notification went away.

try clearing any invites you may have received.
i have that problem too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom