• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should I get Fallout: New Vegas (vanilla) for $4.99 at Newegg or you think the UE will go cheaper than $15 someday?

I'm expecting Ultimate @ 7.50 or 10 during winter sale. The lowest for the DLC's was 2.50 each, so you're not really saving anything with buying vanilla, unless you ONLY want to play that.

zkylon

zkylewd
Should I get Fallout: New Vegas (vanilla) for $4.99 at Newegg or you think the UE will go cheaper than $15 someday?
Probably not gonna go less than 10 bucks, and even that feels like a stretch. You can wait for the winter sale, it's 100% gonna be on sale there, at least matching the $15 price.

oipic

Space Marine for $5.62 from Greenmangaming worth it?

Or do we think it might be cheaper at Xmas sales? Probably only $4.99.

I just completed the campaign, and yep, I reckon it's well worth $5.62. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was my first wade into the W40K universe - I'm annoyed at having not previously picked up Dawn of War II now.

FWIW, it took me probably 12-13 hours or so, but please keep in mind that I'm almost completely useless when it comes to games that require any sort of dexterity and co-ordination... so I repeated a few scenes several times.

If you have any interest, though, then I'd wager that it won't disappoint at all.

Kabouter

I always miss free games :(

I know what you mean, no helping it I guess, people are always going to be faster, especially with the really big name games.

Oh, to make this post somewhat useful, I played some Port Royale 3. It's a pretty good game, building up a trading and production empire is still as fun as it was when Ascaron was producing the series, and unlike with Patrician IV the game looks quite good, especially the map view looks nice. I feel like the general interface and development of cities is much improved compared to its predecessors, I also like the way you can build your own little empire, though I am a little disappointed that they sell features that the game really needed as €5 DLC. I can't stand the combat in the game though, you're really struggling with the controls and your own ships there to such a degree that I just always just auto-battle, which isn't as good in terms of potential results (you don't capture ships), but at least it means I don't have to deal with such poor design.

Milamber

For $5 just about anything is worth the price. Even that disgrace of a game.

tmPoP.gif

I picked up Walking Dead finally and played through the first episode. I am loving it atm. The preview of the second episode looks even better. Well worth the purchase for anyone that hasn't taken the leap yet.

Dingotech

Seems the overall opinion was that Space Marine is worth $5, so I've taken the plunge.

Should be good as a dumb action game to break up some of my more serious games in the backlog.

You guys always talk about forgetting that you already bought games, but I've just suffered the opposite: I just got back home after a Halloween party and I had planned to install and play Scratches: Director's Cut... But looks like it was in one of the two Groupees bundles I didn't buy :(

Since I'm saving money for the Wii U I wanted to try to trade it for some of my unused keys from the Amazon Square-Enix bundle (yes, I know Scratches is only 2.50€, but I'll probably need to ask my GF to lend me some money and I want to keep my debt low), but then I noticed that I had received a gift out of nowhere. Big props to Xelios for the Killing Floor Complete Bundle! :D I know it's been on sale a gazillion times, but I missed that time when it was 80 or 90 percent off and was waiting to see it that cheap again :lol

So... I'm saying fuck it, and giving away the keys. Quote to see them!

Just Cause

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Supreme Commander 2

By the looks of it, I also can give out two Killing Floor guest passes, if anyone is interested.

I know it's not much, but it's alll I can do right now :( This christmas, however, I think it's only fair to give a couple of biggish games after all the free games I've got since last year thanks to GAF.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
You guys always talk about forgetting that you already bought games, but I've just suffered the opposite: I just got back home after a Halloween party and I had planned to install and play Scratches: Director's Cut... But looks like it was in one of the two Groupees bundles I didn't buy :(

Since I'm saving money for the Wii U I wanted to try to trade it for some of my unused keys from the Amazon Square-Enix bundle (yes, I know Scratches is only 2.50€, but I'll probably need to ask my GF to lend me some money and I want to keep my debt low), but then I noticed that I had received a gift out of nowhere. Big props to Xelios for the Killing Floor Complete Bundle! :D I know it's been on sale a gazillion times, but I missed that time when it was 80 or 90 percent off and was waiting to see it that cheap again :lol

So... I'm saying fuck it, and giving away the keys. Quote to see them!

Just Cause

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Supreme Commander 2

By the looks of it, I also can give out two Killing Floor season passes, if anyone is interested.

I know it's not much, but it's alll I can do right now :( This christmas, however, I think it's only fair to give a couple of biggish games after all the free games I've got since last year thanks to GAF.
I'm not grabbing anything, but you're a good man. Don't forget to tell us exactly how awesome the Wii U is!

Rand6

I just finished Half Life two, do I need to keep the game installed in order to play episode 1 or it's not necessary?

Clearly what I meant was not enough CoD. You know me, so well.

I think it's how the aliens can't really take marines head on outside of the tank class, especially if the marines are in a group. The aliens always have to ambush, hit stragglers or use bait and switch tactics to pick away at their forces or bases. Those tactics become less viable/more difficult if the marines gain more ground. The aliens seem to have little recourse once the marines hit a certain research point, when the exo's start to hit the field every match I've played has been a steamroll for the marines at that point. The aliens definitely don't seem to be as easy to play as the marines, the two races are asymmetrical with the marines being the more straight forward of the classes to use. The aliens are definitely more interesting--I love how the skulks can climb anywhere--but they strike me as being harder to use effectively if you haven't played a lot of the NS2 beta or NS1 back in the day.

It's a cool game it just seems a little lopsided right now.

Commander also makes or breaks a team, I don't envy the people choosing to play that role but I do appreciate it when someone kicks ass at it.

I played aliens for the first time yesterday and it was much harder than playing marines. I didn't get to evolve into some of the bigger and stronger forms but the Lerk and the Skulk (I think that's what they are called), are very difficult to go head-to-head against Marines with. I get one-shotted by the shotgun and can't take very many bullets. This is probably intentional. I had a lot of success when I started sneaking around, walking on ceilings, using ventilation ducts, ambushing, and sticking with the pack.

Natural Selection 2 is the top seller? Is it good?

Yes! Multiplayer game of the year right up there with Chivalry.

Miker

I just finished Half Life two, do I need to keep the game installed in order to play episode 1 or it's not necessary?

I don't think it's necessary, but I think if you already have Ep2 installed when you start your Ep1 download, you might end up downloading less due to them sharing assets. I could be very, very wrong, though, so wait for other people to chime in.

I don't think it's necessary, but I think if you already have Ep2 installed when you start your Ep1 download, you might end up downloading less due to them sharing assets. I could be very, very wrong, though, so wait for other people to chime in.

That is accurate in fact if I'm not mistaken this is the case for all of Valve's Source games.

Hinomura

gqTQ8.jpg

"Hold your breath" - quote to reveal

King's Bounty: The Legend (Mac PC):
Civilization V:
Lead and Gold:
Sam&Max: The Devil's Playhouse:
Home:
Sideway:
The ball:
Xotic:

Status