• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Sine Mora has dropped in price from 15$ to 10$, if you pre-ordered through Steam for it's original price you get an extra giftable copy of the game added to your inventory.

So, the MSRP dropped to $9.99 for Sine Mora on GMG. I got this on Steam at $15, since I had money in my Steam Wallet. They took the price off on Steam... I hope I get some money back in my wallet if it indeed dropped to $9.99.

You get an extra copy in your inventory.

HoosTrax

For years via EADM (now Origin), and I believe both Gamefly and Impulse began selling Valve games earlier this year.
EA is Valve's physical distributor. The Valve games they sell in the EA store Origin store are boxed products I believe, as indicated by the "In Stock" / "Not In Stock" status indicators next to them.

kami_sama

The magic game is at 50% off, but it has a ton of dlc. Is there any dlc that I must buy? Also, Do I buy the normal or the special edition?

Nabs

PR:

Valve said:
Brazilian Payment Methods and Pricing Live on Steam
Press Releases - Valve 14:15

November 6, 2012 -- Valve and UOL BoaCompra recently announced an agreement that today brings Steam gamers payment options in Brazilian Reais starting with Boleto.

In addition, more local payment methods will be brought to Steam provided by BoaCompra including deposits, account transfers, PagSegura and local credit cards.

Steam is a leading platform for PC and Mac games with over 2,000 titles available and over 50 million player accounts worldwide.

The addition of support for payment methods in Brazil’s follows in Steam’s efforts to make payment simple for users everywhere.

For more information, please visit www.steamgames.com

The magic game is at 50% off, but it has a ton of dlc. Is there any dlc that I must buy? Also, Do I buy the normal or the special edition?

Just the main game (normal) and the expansion (since the main game only has one multicolor deck, the expansion has a lot more). The rest is unnecessary and just unlock decks earlier and makes the cards shiny.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Special edition is a super huge ripoff, just get the base game and the expansion and you are fine for a good while.

Edit: Yian was 10x faster. sadface.

HoosTrax

I have a GameFly account and my credit card is cleared with them, so if anyone needs help buying something from their shop and can provide Paypal payment in exchange, let me know.

Nabs

Steam for Linux Beta Now Available

Valve said:
Nov 6, 2012--Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Counter-Strike and Team Fortress) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced the launch of a limited access beta for its new Steam for Linux client.

The Steam for Linux Beta client supports the free-to-play game Team Fortress 2. Approximately two dozen additional Steam titles are now also available for play on Linux systems. Additionally, the Steam for Linux Beta client includes Big Picture, the mode of Steam designed for use with a TV and controller, also currently in beta.

“This is a huge milestone in the development of PC gaming,” according to Gabe Newell, Valve President and co-founder. “Steam users have been asking us to support gaming on Linux. We’re happy to bring rich forms of entertainment and our community of users to this open, customer-friendly platform.”

The Steam for Linux Beta client is currently available for installation on Ubuntu 12.04. “An overwhelming majority of beta applicants have reported they’re running the Ubuntu distro of Linux,” according to Frank Crockett, a member of the Steam for Linux team, “We intend to support additional popular distros in the future; we’ll prioritize development for these based on user feedback.”

Within its first week, Valve received over 60,000 responses to its request for participants in the Steam for Linux Beta. The first round of beta participants has been selected from this group of respondents.

The Steam for Linux Beta client will become available to a widening group of users over the course of the beta. Subsequent participants will be chosen among survey respondents, and once the team has seen a solid level of stability and performance across a variety of systems, the Steam for Linux client will become available to all users of Steam.

Steam is a leading platform for the delivery and management of PC and Mac games with over 50 million accounts around the world and over 2,000 titles offered.

More details regarding Steam for Linux, including community discussion, beta participants’ feedback, official announcements and syndicated news can all be tracked on the new Steam for Linux Community Hub at http://steamcommunity.com/linux.

Wok

s0uPy.jpg

23 games.

Me neither :(

People in the Arch AUR already make a package for it... before this announcement came out. Somewhat funny.

I'm starting to think putting other instead of Ubuntu costed me the beta invite. But I won't go to Ubuntu for Steam, I'll wait with my Windows 8.

By the way are they giving those initial games for beta testers? Besides TF2 non of them are free. Well, buyers of bundles will have games on their library but others will have an empty library.

Also why is Valve starting their press releases on Steam by saying they made CS and Steam everytime? Doesn't Steam users know that they made Steam?

Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Counter-Strike and Team Fortress) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced the launch of a limited access beta for its new Steam for Linux client.

Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Steam\Language
at line 5814 of the Steam binary file for linux. I guess you can take the boy out of Windows but can't take Windows out of the boy.

Caerith

Damn it!

Caerith decided that my resolution not to buy any new games until christmas 2013 (unless I play them immediately after buying) was a foolhardy endeavour, so in a fit of mirthful generousity he gifted me DOTA2... I haven't accepted it yet, and I'm not really interested in playing DOTA. What to do GAF? If I accept, it goes right into my library, right? And Caerith, if you're reading this... that WAS pretty funny :)
No worries if you pass it on to a friend :) Just glad you got a kick out of it.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
No one does :(

I was just kidding about not being able to stand it, but I am certainly in the group of people who are really really really not good at it

Yeah, I know its a game that is for a rather specific type of gamer. Usually people can still appreciate what the game is trying to do.

Besides, in this game, all people suck. 95% of all players probably wont be able to beat the game, its just a matter of when they give up :p Still havent managed to get through either.

Brazil bucks now accepted on Steam:

BRAZILIAN PAYMENT METHODS LIVE ON STEAM

November 6, 2012 -- Valve and UOL BoaCompra recently announced an agreement that today brings Steam gamers payment options in Brazilian Reais starting with Boleto.

In addition, the coming months will bring more local payment methods to Steam provided by BoaCompra including deposits, account transfers, PagSegura and local credit cards.

Steam is a leading platform for PC and Mac games with over 2,000 titles available and over 50 million player accounts worldwide.

The addition of support for payment methods in Brazil's follows in Steam's efforts to make payment simple for users everywhere.

For more information, please visit www.steamgames.com

SpaceChem was the first game to make me feel really, really dumb. I made it to the last stage of the third planet, hit a wall and never went back. One day though. One day.

Toma

SpaceChem was the first game to make me feel really, really dumb. I made it to the last stage of the third planet, hit a wall and never went back. One day though. One day.

First game that made me hit a wall 10+ times.

I dunno, it suddenly ramped up quite a lot. I was competing with a friend for the most efficient solutions in the first two worlds and managed to do pretty well but then suddenly that one level came and slapped me across the face with 21 years of self-doubt and underachieving.

Toma

I dunno, it suddenly ramped up quite a lot. I was competing with a friend for the most efficient solutions in the first two worlds and managed to do pretty well but then suddenly that one level came and slapped me across the face with 21 years of self-doubt and underachieving.

Yeah, that happens to most people. Did the same thing on the first two worlds as well, then BOOM. Its still a learning process, some of the levels simply take 2-3 hours to work out later, even if you DONT encounter any big issues.

ArjanN

So Sine Mora has dropped in price from 15$ to 10$, if you pre-ordered through Steam for it's original price you get an extra giftable copy of the game added to your inventory.

You get an extra copy in your inventory.

Yeah, was wondering where that extra giftable copy of Sine Mora came from, will probably give it to someone on GAF later.

Caerith

I never play video games and I thought SpaceChem was really easy.

JK, I pretty much keep it in the backlog until I need a quick shot of humility.

allansm

I wonder if it means there are some very nice exchange rates. Or something.

Games are cheaper for Brazilians now, but not Russia cheap. The official exchange rate is $1=R$2, the rate steam is using is $1=R$1.70, except for Bethesda games which are using $1=R$2 (even Activison is less greedy). Besides that, there was a tax of 6% for buying in foreign curency we don't pay anymore now.

Ketch

Why don't they just "release" it already? It's F2P right? what's the point of keeping it behind an invite only wall?

HoosTrax

Ugh I just went to check my inventory...the Dota 2 invites are multiplying by themselves.

I wish Valve would just change it to open beta already, if they're going out this volume of beta invites anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom