• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miker

Another shoutout for Waves, an absolutely fantastic twin stick shooter on Steam. It seems like circular Geometry Wars in a circle at first, but it's a superbly well-rounded game with a brilliant scoring system.

If you play the game right, it's consistently intense and more importantly, satisfying. Blowing up a bomb at the very last second in slow mo and watching everything around you explode and drive up your multiplier is awesome. Seriously, the scoring system is a textbook example of risk vs reward in games.

It's also got a bunch of modes that I haven't even touched yet, and it's got a sweet soundtrack to boot. The only thing I don't like about it is the menu text. It's awful, just awful, and it's probably turned its fair share of people off the game.

But yeah, I liked it even better than Geometry Wars, which is probably still the gold standard. If you like twin stick shooters, buy Waves.

Deques

First person to use this avatar and promises to keep it for a the rest of the year gets a copy of the Sleeping Dogs: Square Enix Character Pack

iuD6e30ugb1ss.png

challenge accepted :D

Sober

Another shoutout for Waves, an absolutely fantastic twin stick shooter on Steam. It seems like circular Geometry Wars in a circle at first, but it's a superbly well-rounded game with a brilliant scoring system.

If you play the game right, it's consistently intense and more importantly, satisfying. Blowing up a bomb at the very last second in slow mo and watching everything around you explode and drive up your multiplier is awesome. Seriously, the scoring system is a textbook example of risk vs reward in games.

It's also got a bunch of modes that I haven't even touched yet, and it's got a sweet soundtrack to boot. The only thing I don't like about it is the menu text. It's awful, just awful, and it's probably turned its fair share of people off the game.

But yeah, I liked it even better than Geometry Wars, which is probably still the gold standard. If you like twin stick shooters, buy Waves.
I should get back to playing it. You should try bombing run, actually very fun. And the timed mode is always nice for a quick game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Haha, Gamestop is so bloody cheap. I placed a DD order earlier today, for a handful of pieces of DLC that were on sale, and at some point within the interim period between my placing the order and it being processed, the items went back up to full price. Instead of the order being honoured as submitted, it was cancelled due to a payment processing error that I suspect didn't actually occur.

Rootbeer

Banned
I can't decide rather I should get scribblenauts on Steam or pay extra for the Wii U version...

I'd really like to have the Nintendo characters in there. While it's possible people can recreate clones of them I imagine Steam would remove them from the workshop.

JordanKZ

doesnt seem to be available in many places, i'd just wait

Fuck that. 5th Cell are saying that localisation is an issue which is why it's not out in Europe till next year. I live in the UK where my language is already English and I can deal with having to use American spellings...

Jawmuncher

Fuck that. 5th Cell are saying that localisation is an issue which is why it's not out in Europe till next year. I live in the UK where my language is already English and I can deal with having to use American spellings...

You know how those Devs are.
Apparently those American spellings they believe are to much for you to handle.

Alright, been playing some more Darksiders and killed all the Chosen.

Last time I posted about Darksiders was right before the Iron Canopy (the area with the spiders) which was the first dungeon above first Zelda dungeon level but the Black Throne was really, really good.

I'm gonna go find the Abyssal Armor pieces first before I continue the story.

12h in.

Deques

Alright, been playing some more Darksiders and killed all the Chosen.

Last time I posted about Darksiders was right before the Iron Canopy (the area with the spiders) which was the first dungeon above first Zelda dungeon level but the Black Throne was really, really good.

I'm gonna go find the Abyssal Armor pieces first before I continue the story.

12h in.

It's fun game. I beat it last week. It got boring when I was to maxing everything. Yet I couldn't find the last Life Shard piece

I know I said I wasn't going to look for a solution for my GTAIV problem, but I lied. I gave the game to my brother last week so I can't ignore it.

Apparently the problem is very serious. Steam is no longer handing CD-Keys for the game. The key they give you is actually a redemption code which you have to redeem on Xbox.com and then you can get the real CD-Key from the GFWL Marketplace.

http://forums.xbox.com/gfw/technical_support/connection_networking/f/265/t/322898.aspx?PageIndex=4

If you have a US account there seems to be no problem. But if you're from an unsupported region you're fucked.

I'm actually from a supported region but I'm still having problems. From what I heard, I can redeem GTAIV on Xbox.com (haven't tried this yet) but I can't redeem the expansions (already tried this and had no luck).

There seems to be more posible solutions but I can't try them now because I'm not at home. I'll probably contact support for this and see if they can give me a real solution. If they don't then I'll have to fill a complaint against Steam for selling me games that don't work on my region.

Isaccard

I know I said I wasn't going to look for a solution for my GTAIV problem, but I lied. I gave the game to my brother last week so I can't ignore it.

Apparently the problem is very serious. Steam is no longer handing CD-Keys for the game. The key they give you is actually a redemption code which you have to redeem on Xbox.com and then you can get the real CD-Key from the GFWL Marketplace.

http://forums.xbox.com/gfw/technical_support/connection_networking/f/265/t/322898.aspx?PageIndex=4

If you have a US account there seems to be no problem. But if you're from an unsupported region you're fucked.

I'm actually from a supported region but I'm still having problems. From what I heard, I can redeem GTAIV on Xbox.com (haven't tried this yet) but I can't redeem the expansions (already tried this and had no luck).

There seems to be more posible solutions but I can't try them now because I'm not at home. I'll probably contact support for this and see if they can give me a real solution. If they don't then I'll have to fill a complaint against Steam for selling me games that don't work on my region.

I have a list I reference to help me avoid buying any games with GFWL attached to it. Saves me quite the headaches.

JaseC

So, I just encountered an issue in Brotherhood where you can't move with the flying machine. I searched for some answers and, apparently, the solution is... enable v-sync.

Salsa

JaseC just asked me for help in buying a Darksiders II guide even though he already played 80 hours of the game

intervention time?

JaseC

JaseC just asked me for help in getting a Darksiders II guide even though he already played 80 hours of the game

intervention time?

I still need to begin my NG+ playthrough! Figured I'd wait until all the DLC has been released.

Joe Molotov

I got a key for Lego LOTR from GMG and I plugged it into Steam and activated it and hit install and it claimed to instantly be installed. Now it says it's ready to play, but it didn't download any files. When I hit "Play" it says the game isn't ready because files are corrupt. When I checked the game folder, it's empty. When I verified the cache, it said all files are verified. Apparently it's not ready to go yet on Steam's end, but they didn't tag it with "Not Released" yet.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I got a key for Lego LOTR from GMG and I plugged it into Steam and activated it and hit install and it claimed to instantly be installed. Now it says it's ready to play, but it didn't download any files. When I hit "Play" it says the game isn't ready because files are corrupt. When I checked the game folder, it's empty. When I verified the cache, it said all files are verified. Apparently it's not ready to go yet on Steam's end, but they didn't tag it with "Not Released" yet.

Yeah, Warner Bros delayed the game apparently.

I still need to begin my NG+ playthrough! Figured I'd wait until all the DLC has been released.

Dude, there are better guides on the internet... for free. This applies to all games.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit is on sale on Green Man Gaming for 50% off. It's registrable on Steam.

$14.99 to $7.49. You can also use the 25% off coupon (that expires in two days). That'll make it $5.61.

It's currently $14.99 on the Steam store. It can either get a 50% discount (Final Price: $7,50), 66% discount (Final Price: $5) or 75% discount (Final Price: $3.75) on the Winter Sale, but I doubt it'll get a 75% discount since it's a new game.

Decision, decisions.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
could go cheaper but the game's really good so I doubt you'll regret it if you get it

It probably won't go cheaper on this sale. My crystal ball says the best it'll get is a 66% discount, and that's only 60 cents cheaper than what Green Man Gaming is offering right now.

I know it's a cool game, and it's also Sega AND Arkedo... so...

you'll play it right away?

Nice joke! Do you have others like that? :D

Salsa

But then you are missing out on Dark Souls!!

Dark Souls is overrated.

BOOM KABLAM DROP A BOMB ON IT!!!!!!!

no but seriously, I do love it for being a very old school type of game on a sea of handholding messes, and I love the challenge and such, but it's not the second coming of christ. It has many issues, wich hopefully they'll get better at in an upcoming game

also to be fair the port didnt help at all, so that might be tarnishing my view of the game.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I think Dark Souls was probably to deep for you. It's deep analysis of the gaming industry and our society as a whole clearly went over your head.

It's okay though.

Grief.exe

Dark Souls is overrated.

BOOM KABLAM DROP A BOMB ON IT!!!!!!!

no but seriously, I do love it for being a very old school type of game on a sea of handholding messes, and I love the challenge and such, but it's not the second coming of christ. It has many issues, wich hopefully they'll get better at in an upcoming game

also to be fair the port didnt help at all, so that might be tarnishing my view of the game.

The port was actually pretty solid after you applied dsfix, and m/kb fix if you aren't using a controller. Both were available before the game was released or just after.

The performance was really good as well, I had no crashes in about 150 hours of gameplay and very rarely dipped below 30 fps.

Now they have fixed the engine limitations so you can run at 60fps and never see any dips.

JaseC

Dude, there are better guides on the internet... for free. This applies to all games.

It's not like I actually intend to use the guide. :p (It'd probably help with the collectibles... but I found them all the first time, which took forever.)

Not ones that count towards your game totals, tho.

My hero. <3

Salsa: actually im gonna shame you on the steam thread
JaseC: aw
JaseC: Joe will come to my defence

I think Dark Souls was probably to deep for you. It's deep analysis of the gaming industry and our society as a whole clearly went over your head.

It's okay though.

Deep Souls.

Salsa

The performance was really good as well, I had no crashes in about 150 hours of gameplay and very rarely dipped below 30 fps.

I keep dropping to like 15fps everytime there's fire or something, and my rig is more than up to the task

I mean dont get me wrong i'll play it till the end and love it, but it reached a certain GAF consensus that it's just really hard to achieve for me. It's great, but it could be a lot better.

I cant help but diminish my impression of a game when I keep seeing room for improvement. To be honest this tends to be a theme with japanese games.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Nobody told me Hell Yeah was a Castlevania-like game, with branching paths and item collecting.

I thought it was more of a linear platform of killing monsters and shit.

With my GMG credits, Total you pay $ 1.87.

I shouldn't even have asked.

Salsa

I would advise againts buying Hell Yeah. Got it for free through PS Plus and really didn't like anything about it.

I on the other hand thought it was great! certainly not for anyone though but the trailers and screens pretty much show what you get

it's only real issue is that it's actually too long

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I would advise againts buying Hell Yeah. Got it for free through PS Plus and really didn't like anything about it.

I liked the Giantbomb quicklook, I found the Demo pretty funny, I liked the Metroidvania motiff, I like arkedo games, I made an oath to suppot SEGA whenever they deserve it and it cost me $1.87 with GMG credit.

This one was kinda easy to justify.

Nabs

I liked the Giantbomb quicklook, I found the Demo pretty funny, I liked the Metroidvania motiff, I like arkedo games, I made an oath to suppot SEGA whenever they deserve it and it cost me $1.87 with GMG credit.

This one was kinda easy to justify.

no

for $1.87 it's definitely worth it. Even 5 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom