• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
I haven't tried the PC version yet, unfortunately. There's no stutter in the console version. :(

I don't suspect there's any stuttering in the PC version either. It seems like a very fun game, and I want everyone to purchase it.

I'm playing it on Intel HD Graphics 3000. I'm accustomed to not playing the best games because the FPS is too low. But in this game the FPS are locked and it just stutters when I do certain things. I was hoping there was a fix.

Thanks though.

Tambini

How about we celebrate this game with a giveaway?

The first person who posts a picture of their favorite 2D game gets "The Adventures of Shuggy".

Please be ready with either your e-mail address or Steam ID so I can quickly gift the game to you.

new_super_mario_world-156207-1.jpeg
ID: Tambini

edit: Oops I think this may be from a modded level sorry

Thanks!

Speevy

Banned
Yeah guys, there's nothing wrong with the PC version of The Adventures of Shuggy

I bought both the Steam and DRM-free version of the game, and it just doesn't like my computer.

How about we celebrate this game with a giveaway?

The first person who posts a picture of their favorite 2D game gets "The Adventures of Shuggy".

Please be ready with either your e-mail address or Steam ID so I can quickly gift the game to you.

Too late but just for you
littlenemo-2.jpg

:)

I remember the shuggy guy saying he was really disappointed with his sales on steam. Hopefully this changes that.

Especially since there are so many people on steam today.

HoosTrax

40 hours into DA:O right now...

I think BioWare's romance/sex scenes were a lot less hilariously awkward/cringeworthy back in the Black Isle days, when they just cut to a black screen and left it up to your imagination, and didn't try to actually portray them with horrible animations and cheesy music.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I remember the shuggy guy saying he was really disappointed with his sales on steam. Hopefully this changes that.

I'm not so sure. He mentioned that the XBLA version bombed, but his last input on his Steam sales (after the summer sale) was:

Shuggy has been in the recent Steam sale and has sold quite a few more copies thought still not really enough to finance a sequel. I've been looking into other distribution sites so it should be appearing on some of those over the coming months. I still need to find the time to make a demo of the game to give people a taste of what it's like but I'm sure I'll have it done at some point.

So I read that as either mildly negative or mildly positive, definitely not "really disappointed".

I'm not so sure. He mentioned that the XBLA version bombed, but his last input on his Steam sales (after the summer sale) was:

So I read that as either mildly negative or mildly positive, definitely not "really disappointed".
It was definitely a different quote. Might have been before the steam sale though. I'll try to find it.

But yeah that definitely reads more positive. Good for him.

Edit: Found it, from http://www.newgamernation.com/interview-david-johnston-smudged-cat-games/ : " Dave: Sales on XBLA were pretty disappointing, but to be honest, sales on PC so far have been even worse!  It’s great to see so many great reviews of the game but at the same time quite disappointing to not see that translate into sales.  Still, I’ve had a lot of good feedback from people that have really enjoyed the game which always makes me happy."

I left my computer on overnight to download Darksiders. I just opened steam up at 2 PM (it started at 1 AM) and its ONLY 14% complete, and now the speed graph is making camel humps. I think it's staying above 500 KB/s now. I never turned off or made my computer sleep, so what the hell happened?

Wok

It was definitely a different quote. Might have been before the steam sale though. I'll try to find it.

But yeah that definitely reads more positive. Good for him.

It was the previous blogpost:

Shuggy has been out on Steam for about 3 weeks now and the sales haven't quite lived up to the hype I'd heard about releasing a game on Steam. In fact, they've been even worse than the sales for the XBLA version. Still, I've been getting some good feedback from people that have really enjoyed the game which always gives me a nice warm fuzzy feeling thinking that people out there are actually playing something I've made.

Speevy

Banned
I e-mailed the developers of Shuggy and received a response in like 3 minutes.

These guys are on the ball. Still working through it, he's not sure what is making the game stutter.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Honestly, Steam is a tough nut to crack. I think the keys are to do well with the tastemakers (RPS et. al) to get a good initial burst of support; have a successful and strong launch (demo, achievements, launch at a good time, launch at an ideal price); aggressively participate in sales and build long-term momentum so that you become an evergreen.

I'm not sure that Shuggy did really any of the three. It got good feedback from many indie sources but never really broke through as a shining star, the launch wasn't particularly well timed--coming in that awkward pre-summer sale period--and $10 is on the steeper end for the game given its production values (although $10 is more than justified for the game), and when the summer sale did run around the dev went with a 50% sale + this summer sale was pretty shitty across the board in terms of actually promoting independent games, lacking the metagame that previous sales have had.

I don't think that's game over or anything, he count easily double his sales numbers with this daily sale, and hopefully get featured in future holiday sales... but still, I think it's pretty clear why things haven't gone better for him.

Man Iziz in kotor 2 is a mess. I've crashed about 14 times already and a good number of that was on a location transition that the story forced so I couldn't do any tricks to get by it like I could with the others, like saving before entering the cantina. Just had to keep trying and pray it worked which it eventually did.

1 time it crashed I had to actually restart my PC since I couldn't get out of the black screen and when I ran the game again it reset all of my graphics options smh.

Yup, I can't even count how many times I crashed on the Iziz cantina, good news is Nar Shadda was much more stable than Onderon/Iziz. I only crashed twice on Nar Shadda. I've just begun to habitually save once I hit certain points in the game. Level up, explore a new large area, cut a swathe through a large group of enemies, about to transition to another area, etc.

Bad news is, I have to go back to Iziz, I just hope I don't have to enter that cantina anymore.

Speevy

Banned
Again, it's just my issue. You won't have this issue. Don't hold it against the developers.

I'll upload a video that shows just running so you'll see what I mean more clearly.

HoosTrax

What are we looking for?
In the first jump, it looks like Shuggy pauses momentarily in the middle of the upward part of the jump. In the second jump, it looks like Shuggy pauses momentarily at the peak of the jump.

At least that's what I saw. Anyone else?

Speevy

Banned
That's correct Hoostrax. But it was my fault for uploading such a minor detail.

My next one will make it clear for everyone.

This is strictly for my benefit so don't let it deter you from playing the game. I just want to play the game like everybody else is all.

Tambini

I left my computer on overnight to download Darksiders. I just opened steam up at 2 PM (it started at 1 AM) and its ONLY 14% complete, and now the speed graph is making camel humps. I think it's staying above 500 KB/s now. I never turned off or made my computer sleep, so what the hell happened?

Perhaps your internet went down.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Honestly, Steam is a tough nut to crack. I think the keys are to do well with the tastemakers (RPS et. al) to get a good initial burst of support; have a successful and strong launch (demo, achievements, launch at a good time, launch at an ideal price); aggressively participate in sales and build long-term momentum so that you become an evergreen.

I'm not sure that Shuggy did really any of the three. It got good feedback from many indie sources but never really broke through as a shining star, the launch wasn't particularly well timed--coming in that awkward pre-summer sale period--and $10 is on the steeper end for the game given its production values (although $10 is more than justified for the game), and when the summer sale did run around the dev went with a 50% sale + this summer sale was pretty shitty across the board in terms of actually promoting independent games, lacking the metagame that previous sales have had.

I don't think that's game over or anything, he count easily double his sales numbers with this daily sale, and hopefully get featured in future holiday sales... but still, I think it's pretty clear why things haven't gone better for him.

I've never heard of this game and I closely pay attention to indie games and whatnot. I downloaded the demo and will give it a whirl after I'm done watching Doter today.

Derrick01

Banned
I played through Kotor 2 a year or so ago with the previous version of the community patch and never crashed once I think it was version 1.7, not sure tho. This was on XP and I didn't use the widescreen mod either.

Do you remember where to find the fan patch? I don't want the restored content mod, not yet at least, just something that makes the vanilla game playable. The game isn't just crashing anymore it's actually freezing my whole PC sometimes which can't be healthy for it.

Yup, I can't even count how many times I crashed on the Iziz cantina, good news is Nar Shadda was much more stable than Onderon/Iziz. I only crashed twice on Nar Shadda. I've just begun to habitually save once I hit certain points in the game. Level up, explore a new large area, cut a swathe through a large group of enemies, about to transition to another area, etc.

Bad news is, I have to go back to Iziz, I just hope I don't have to enter that cantina anymore.

Yeah I'm out of Iziz now but I just had a whole PC freeze on the starting Korriban area, not even 5 minutes after landing.

Phinor

I've never heard of this game and I closely pay attention to indie games and whatnot. I downloaded the demo and will give it a whirl after I'm done watching Doter today.

This is pretty much what I was about to post. I check Steam front page daily and I actually don't remember seeing the game ever before*, anywhere. Not even during Steam sales. Today is the first time I see the game in any form. Now that I know it exists, there's actually a chance for me to buy it.

*Did something happen in the gaming world on June 13? Because I should have seen the game being released on Steam at least. I just didn't.

Wok

I've never heard of this game and I closely pay attention to indie games and whatnot.

I was going to say you should have known, but then I saw this comment:

I check Steam front page daily and I actually don't remember seeing the game ever before*, anywhere. Not even during Steam sales.

Checking Steam is not enough to stay tuned on indie games. Greenlight should help though. The best is to check the website of the finalists of indie game competitions, be it pro or student.

Honestly, Steam is a tough nut to crack. [...] I don't think that's game over or anything, he count easily double his sales numbers with this daily sale, and hopefully get featured in future holiday sales.

The game is currently sold as #20. Edit: #19. Edit: #18.

wrowa

The last picture reminds me, I always wondered whether the top-sellers in Steam are counted by units sold or by revenue. Anyone know this? There are always so many full-price games in the top 20 of which I doubt that they are actually selling great numbers the given... day? week? Which time period is the table displaying anyway?

Narag

The last picture reminds me, I always wondered whether the top-sellers in Steam are counted by units sold or by revenue. Anyone know this? There are always so many full-price games in the top 20 of which I doubt that they are actually selling great numbers the given... day? week? Which time period is the table displaying anyway?

Pretty sure it is revenue.

Djamb3

Yap is revenue

Do you remember where to find the fan patch? I don't want the restored content mod, not yet at least, just something that makes the vanilla game playable. The game isn't just crashing anymore it's actually freezing my whole PC sometimes which can't be healthy for it.

Yeah I'm out of Iziz now but I just had a whole PC freeze on the starting Korriban area, not even 5 minutes after landing.

So you're playing Vanilla KotOR 2 and encounter these issues? I've been using the restored content mod and while I have hit crashes, virtually all at the Iziz cantina, the worst I've experienced is the game crashing, my comp hasn't frozen and required a restart.

I asked Chris Avellone through twitter if he thought I should use the restored content mod on a first playthrough of the Sith Lords. While he hasn't tried the mod himself, he likes everything he's read about it and it does address some of the issues in The Sith Lords, not just excised content.

ModDB said:
Also this mod fixes many many bugs left inside TSL.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-sith-lords-restored-content-mod-tslrcm/downloads

Okay my mom has put in almost 300 hours of Bookworm Adventures 2 (through her steam account) and all of a sudden she can't start it up and gets a "FATAL ERROR" "Invalid command line parameter: -changedir" pop up and it won't begin. I don't expect anyone here to know off hand what might fix it, but I figured I'd throw it here because you guys might be able to google it better than me. I found one bug forum with a mention of this and it was a mess and I could barely read it as they just insulted the guy over and over for putting the wrong tags on his thread. So anyway, I've validated files, uninstalled and reinstalled, and nothing is working. Any help appreciated!

Edit: welp nevermind I just typed "-changedir" into the launch options and it worked now. Strange.

Wok

Shuggy is such a fun little game. Another of the developers other games, Gateways, is also coming to Steam.
he could easily double his sales numbers with this daily sale
Confirmed on Twitter: "Well, the first 4 hours of the Shuggy daily deal has doubled the lifetime sales. Hopefully it can double the revenue as well by the end!"

Okay my mom has put in almost 300 hours of Bookworm Adventures 2 (through her steam account).
You remind me I wanted to post this one day.
NB: "heures de jeu" means "hours of play".

What is funnier is that before owning Cradle of Persia on Steam, I had bought Cradle of Rome from another shop, so the time is not counted, and it would indeed be far higher than for Persia from what I can see.
Somehow I don't feel like a hardcore gamer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom