• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

mojiimbo

Polish store gry-online.pl is having few Steam titles on sale:

Each title is 9.90 PLN which makes roughly $3.10

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Gold Edition
Homefront

Full list (note: CoH is not for Steam):
http://sklep.gry-online.pl/Lista.aspx?kat=341

They accept payments by PayPal.
Forgot to say thanks for this.

I ended up getting Space Marine and Dawn of War 2: Retribution for $3 USD each. It was easy enough with Chrome's built in translator as long as you use Paypal and consider that the retailer gives you a code that you have to redeem at another site to get an actual Steam key. They redeemed fine on my U.S. Steam account.

So, what's everyone's opinion on Greenlight?

Until it starts and we see results I don't really have one. But it seems like it'll be good for games that Valve overlooks in the review process.

What I'm curious about the most is how long will everything take. A game is posted, people vote, and eventually it shows up. I hope the process doesn't take months to get done.

The steam community has done a pretty good process at picking out the gems in steam workshop, so hopefully the same holds true for full games.

I still wouldn't mind seeing an alpha-funding space like what Desura has though.

Derrick01

Banned
So you're playing Vanilla KotOR 2 and encounter these issues? I've been using the restored content mod and while I have hit crashes, virtually all at the Iziz cantina, the worst I've experienced is the game crashing, my comp hasn't frozen and required a restart.

I asked Chris Avellone through twitter if he thought I should use the restored content mod on a first playthrough of the Sith Lords. While he hasn't tried the mod himself, he likes everything he's read about it and it does address some of the issues in The Sith Lords, not just excised content.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-sith-lords-restored-content-mod-tslrcm/downloads

Yeah I wanted to experience the main game again since it's been probably 5 years at least since I played it. I just don't remember it having this many problems.

1-D_FTW

Yay, me. Helix Mod released a 3D fix that works with the Steam version of Darksiders 2. Game looks glorious now and really makes the 660ti sing.

And I have to say, maybe I'm in the minority (or extreme minority), but I'm liking this game a whole lot better than the original. On every single level.

Dingotech

I might have to pickup Shuggy as it seems most people are giving good impressions.

That Polish site sounds like a dang good deal for Space Marine, I might have to try and get that when I finish up work today. Is the deal still going or has it finished?

Blizzard

Banned
Picked up Shuggy. Can't wait to play it in 2014.
I'm going to mark my calendar for the LTTP thread and impressions, and then complain about there not having been a sale on it since 2012. :p

I'm worried it won't have a down-vote feature.
Maybe it'll be like YouTube, where every video will have 1-2 comments on the front page saying "32 people were Voldemort, and THAT'S why they downvoted it."

Xanathus

That's steam basically.

I'm worried it won't have a down-vote feature.

Off topic but I chuckled when both your avatars lined up.
image.php

image.php

Derrick01

Banned
A good surprise or a bad surprise?

I was on a media blackout, so I haven't followed the game so far.

Bad surprise. I liked DS1 quite a bit but outside of the combat improving everything else either wasn't worked on that well or it wasn't thought out well. And the story is a 100% lateral movement, it doesn't really progress at all from 1.

A good surprise or a bad surprise?

I was on a media blackout, so I haven't followed the game so far.

Bad.

I got it because I was all "Darksiders with even more complex RPG elements". When really, it's jsut a single-player MMO.

It's one of those sequels that takes everything you loved about the first game and does something completely different.

And yet, GAF loves it and hates DA2.

And the story is a 100% lateral movement, it doesn't really progress at all from 1.

The thing that boggled my mind most about the story was that it had no reason not to tie into DS1. Everything that happened in that game could have easily fleshed out the Darksiders world, and given further context to The Balance. It just... didn't.

Even the final boss and the plot,
the history of the Nephelim and your dad
, is treated like it doesn't have any relevance to DS1.

It is clearly a game made by a dying company.

Bad surprise. I liked DS1 quite a bit but outside of the combat improving everything else either wasn't worked on that well or it wasn't thought out well. And the story is a 100% lateral movement, it doesn't really progress at all from 1.

Bad.

It's one of those sequels that takes everything you loved about the first game and does something completely different.

Aww fuck. Sad to hear this :(

DTKT

Bad.

I got it because I was all "Darksiders with even more complex RPG elements". When really, it's jsut a single-player MMO.

The thing that boggled my mind most about the story was that it had no reason not to tie into DS1. Everything that happened in that game could have easily fleshed out the Darksiders world, and given further context to The Balance. It just... didn't.

Even the final boss and the plot,
the history of the Nephelim and your dad
, is treated like it doesn't have any relevance to DS1.

It is clearly a game made by a dying company.

That's low, even coming from you.

HERE STARTS THE ENDLESS DEBATE ABOUT SHIT MOUNTAIN. ABANDON ALL HOPE YE WHO ENTER HERE.

Dragon Age II was a rushed game and that showed in it's level design, system design and overall polish.

On the other hand, Darksiders II simply picked a "new" direction for the series. Without spoiling anything, let's just say that DSII is much more of an "open-world" game like Zelda. Still, at it's core, the fighting remains the same.

I wish I could say the same about DAII.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I quite enjoyed Dead Space 2. It's definitely more linear, but it beats Dead Space 1's errand boy simulator for me.
OH Darksiders 2. Yeah, fuck that game. How are you going to say Death is the more powerful Horseman and then it takes 3x as long to kill demons as War because of your crappy RPG mechanics.

What's the best way to move a Steam installed game from one computer to another? I really don't want to use the bandwidth again if I can help it.

DTKT

I quite enjoyed Dead Space 2. It's definitely more linear, but it beats Dead Space 1's errand boy simulator for me.
OH Darksiders 2. Yeah, fuck that game. How are you going to say Death is the more powerful Horseman and then it takes 3x as long to kill demons as War because of your crappy RPG mechanics.

What's the best way to move a Steam installed game from one computer to another? I really don't want to use the bandwidth again if I can help it.

I usually just start the download for a few seconds on the new computer. The first thing Steam does is to construct the basic folder structure. After that, you just dump the entire game files in the "empty" folder and "Verify Game Files".

That's low, even coming from you.

That I didn't like a game and yet I liked a different one?

Okay.

Are you going to deny that DS2 is a drastically different game than DS1? Because that was my entire point when bringing up DA2; that they essentially were the same game in the context of the first one. It wasn't "a cheap shot at GAF". It wasn't "GAF hates my game so I'll hate their game".

bigace33

I wholeheartedly agree that Darksiders 2 is a bit lacking in light of Darksiders 1. It is fun but it has this layer of jank that I just can't put my finger on. The camera is absolutely horrible, and the invisible barriers are far too frequent. It is definitely not as good as DS1, in fact, I feel like War handled much better than Death does, and death is supposed to be the nimble one.

I wholeheartedly agree that Darksiders 2 is a bit lacking in light of Darksiders 1. It is fun but it has this layer of jank that I just can't put my finger on. The camera is absolutely horrible, and the invisible barriers are far too frequent. It is definitely not as good as DS1, in fact, I feel like War handled much better than Death does, and death is supposed to be the nimble one.

Wow really? I'm waiting for a sale, but I'm really hyped for Darksiders II. Loved the first. If it doesn't really continue the story and feels looser control wise than the first game, I may have made the right decision to wait.

Derrick01

Banned
Wow really? I'm waiting for a sale, but I'm really hyped for Darksiders II. Loved the first. If it doesn't really continue the story and feels looser control wise than the first game, I may have made the right decision to wait.

It definitely doesn't move the story forward and it's a lot buggier due to being so much bigger. The pacing is some of the worst in any game I've ever played too. Death is relegated to being the mailman for every realm, fetching countless pointless shit just to eventually make someone important tell him to go back to some area he's already been to. It's infuriating.

I know I said it's the 3rd worst game I've played this year but man I think it pissed me off way more than the first 2 did, probably because I expected those to suck and I was excited for DS2. I was totally floored and caught off guard by how awful it was.

It definitely doesn't move the story forward and it's a lot buggier due to being so much bigger. The pacing is some of the worst in any game I've ever played too. Death is relegated to being the mailman for every realm, fetching countless pointless shit just to eventually make someone important tell him to go back to some area he's already been to. It's infuriating.

I know I said it's the 3rd worst game I've played this year but man I think it pissed me off way more than the first 2 did, probably because I expected those to suck and I was excited for DS2. I was totally floored and caught off guard by how awful it was.

What was the other one, assuming D3 is the first.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Basically, the idea of mixing roll the dice stat based attacks with devil may cry combat is the worst idea in the world.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Finally got around to playing Alan Wake after getting it in the Summer Sale.

Atmosphere: Awesome.

Gameplay: Holy shit is it bad. I hate it. I hate the combat. I hate the enemies. I hate the mechanics.

I put it on normal, but now I wish I put it on easy. The only way I will ever be able to get through this game is if I can just rush through the combat. Can you change difficulties after starting? I am a few hours in and there is no way I am starting over.

Derrick01

Banned
What was the other one, assuming D3 is the first.

I didn't play Diablo 3. Syndicate and Max Payne 3 were my others, but I expected those to be really bad. Another EA franchise rape with no love put into it and another current generation Rockstar game that focuses on cinematic crap than fun and unique gameplay. Though I admit there was a lot less they could have done with an ultra linear shooter than they could do in their open world stuff. It was still horrendously boring to play through though. My patience for 8 hour on rails cramped corridor games that rely on explosions, cutscenes and headshots that make a game playable only once is over with.

I haven't bought any full priced games this year yet at all, granted I only get probably 1 a year. This year I doubt I'll get any.

I honestly can wait for Dark Souls, Guild Wars 2, Dishonored, Borderlands 2 and others to drop at least a little. They each have an aspect to them that diminish their personal value to me. As far as Max Payne 3 and reliance on explosions, etc... that shipped sailed with me as soon as I was done with CoD 4.

Planetside 2 will be fun hopefully.

Edit: I lied Diablo 3, ugg lol.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I left Borderlands running overnight so I could farm the collectibles in the Claptrap DLC (I'm a sucker for collectibles). It's been about 12 hours now... I'm looking forward to spending half an hour picking up junk.

Blizzard

Banned
Yeah, HK-47 get! I've missed being called a meatbag.
He's one of the best characters from those games.

"Translation: two per cent probability that the miniature organic is simply looking for trouble and needs to be blasted. That may be wishful thinking on my part, master."

I can't remember if it's around the time you get HK-47, but I liked one part (second game?) where you had to deal with the Czerka Corporation. As far as I know the only way you could go forward in the game was by
agreeing to take some bounty she gives you
, and the game practically taunts you with it. If you decline, the receptionist is like
Czerka Corporation thanks you for your eventual cooperation.

feel

Despite Half-Life 2 being one of my favorite games ever which I've played through countless times, I had never played it on the PC since up until recently I was a console-only gamer. Finally have been playing this brilliant game this week fully maxed out and at 120hz, and its beauty and clarity in motion brings a tear to my eye. Worlds apart from the xbox360 version (and to think I first played it on xbox1, and playing on the 360 was an awesome upgrade too at the time of the orange box). So daaaaamn good. Plus the mouse control makes the gunplay so much better, and the badass split second clutch moves with the gravity gun.

Actually finished HL2 this morning and moved on to the episodes which both I've only ever played through once and I've been meaning to replay them forever. From what I see Ep1 is not the most liked thing out there, but I personally really enjoyed it, it mixes things up pretty entertainingly. Had fun with it the first time and I'm really enjoying replaying it. Can't wait for the glorious Ep2 though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You're willingly reminding yourself of how great the Half-Life 2 saga is when the long and arduous wait for Half-Life 3 has no end in sight?

Kinda sad, looks like I'm in the end-game for Knights of the Old Republic 2. I don't think I'll be uninstalling it right away, going to want to do a Dark side run through I think, after I replay the first Knights of the Old Republic.

I bought Krater in the Gamersgate sale yesterday and man that was a good decision. 3 hours in and the game is completely clicking with me.

The art (post-apocalyptic Sweden) and music direction (80's synth/ambient) is really unique and the squad based hack and slash gameplay works really well. Seems like online co-op will be released this month, I hope they promote the game a little more then, I feel like more people need to play this.

zkylon

zkylewd
Despite Half-Life 2 being one of my favorite games ever which I've played through countless times, I had never played it on the PC since up until recently I was a console-only gamer. Finally have been playing this brilliant game this week fully maxed out and at 120hz, and its beauty and clarity in motion brings a tear to my eye. Worlds apart from the xbox360 version (and to think I first played it on xbox1, and playing on the 360 was an awesome upgrade too at the time of the orange box). So daaaaamn good. Plus the mouse control makes the gunplay so much better, and the badass split second clutch moves with the gravity gun.

Actually finished HL2 this morning and moved on to the episodes which both I've only ever played through once and I've been meaning to replay them forever. From what I see Ep1 is not the most liked thing out there, but I personally really enjoyed it, it mixes things up pretty entertainingly. Had fun with it the first time and I'm really enjoying replaying it. Can't wait for the glorious Ep2 though.
Ep 2 is great. A sci-fi road videogame :)

Doesn't look like I'll be able to finish The Sith Lords tonight but I'm pretty close to the end. I really don't understand why Lucasarts and/or Bioware basically retconned The Sith Lords out of The Old Republics lore. The characters, specifically the villains, and events of KotOR II would've really contributed to the lore. Darth Nihilus, Darth Sion and Darth
Traya/Kreia
are all pretty badass.

Berto

Finally got around to playing Alan Wake after getting it in the Summer Sale.

Atmosphere: Awesome.

Gameplay: Holy shit is it bad. I hate it. I hate the combat. I hate the enemies. I hate the mechanics.

I put it on normal, but now I wish I put it on easy. The only way I will ever be able to get through this game is if I can just rush through the combat. Can you change difficulties after starting? I am a few hours in and there is no way I am starting over.
Prepare yourself because it's all combat, combat, combat, combat till the end. It's a shame how so underused that world is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom