• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

daxy

Is anyone planning on hosting a Torchlight 2 4-pack still? I've got a copy myself, so I can't host one but I'm looking to get two copies for friends.

1-D_FTW

Why are people hating on Darksiders 2 in this thread? GOTY-tier game, imo.

Well we know Derrick hates it and that's a large part of the thread. But I agree. This game is a major improvement in every way (so far).

P.S. This game doesn't have any hitching for me. So I don't know what's going on with his computer, but it's not an engine problem that everyone suffers from.

Bad.

I got it because I was all "Darksiders with even more complex RPG elements". When really, it's jsut a single-player MMO.

It's one of those sequels that takes everything you loved about the first game and does something completely different.

And yet, GAF loves it and hates DA2.

The thing that boggled my mind most about the story was that it had no reason not to tie into DS1. Everything that happened in that game could have easily fleshed out the Darksiders world, and given further context to The Balance. It just... didn't.

Even the final boss and the plot,
the history of the Nephelim and your dad
, is treated like it doesn't have any relevance to DS1.

It is clearly a game made by a dying company.

I'm sorry, but that is a ridiculous statement to me. This game is so much more ambitious (and successful) than the original game. For a statement like that to be true, DS2 would have had to have been the first game, and DS1 the second game. This is not a rushed game that had everything streamlined to get it rushed out the door for money, this is so much more ambitious than the first game. It's the exact opposite of what you'd expect a "dying company to release."

Derrick01

Banned
It's ambitious in that it adds a lot of elements that aren't nearly as fleshed out as anything in DS1. I think it had triple the dungeons but none of them were as memorable or even slightly tough to figure out and it had no story or any of the cool characters from 1. I wish they had stopped trying to throw in weak RPG elements to check boxes and artificially extend the game's length 10 hours longer than it needed to be and worked on the stuff that made 1 good.

I bought Krater in the Gamersgate sale yesterday and man that was a good decision. 3 hours in and the game is completely clicking with me.

The art (post-apocalyptic Sweden) and music direction (80's synth/ambient) is really unique and the squad based hack and slash gameplay works really well. Seems like online co-op will be released this month, I hope they promote the game a little more then, I feel like more people need to play this.

good 2 hear....wanted to pick it up during the summer sale, but reluctantly skipped for now. will def pick it up soon

HoosTrax

Was there something that was supposed to happen with my Torchlight II pre-order this week? It's getting dangerously close to the end of the supposed "Summer 2012" release date, and I need a good excuse to not spend money on Dark Souls after I wrap up playing DA:O.

DTKT

Was there something that was supposed to happen with my Torchlight II pre-order this week? It's getting dangerously close to the end of the supposed "Summer 2012" release date, and I need a good excuse to not spend money on Dark Souls after I wrap up playing DA:O.

Runic is said to announce the release date at PAX.

Was it mentioned that Miner Wars was added to the Steam registry?

http://www.minerwars.com/

It's essentially two space titles that use the same universe. One is a single player title and the other is an MMO. I think the single player is required to be played online though, since it's tied into the MMO universe.

HoosTrax

It's essentially two space titles that use the same universe.
Sounds like StarWraith's Evochron and Arvoch product lines.

Runic is said to announce the release date at PAX.
If they end up announcing that the release date is the same week in September that Borderlands 2 unlocks, I'm really going to have second thoughts about future pre-orders from them. Bad enough that it's been endlessly delayed.

Nabs

I need Shoot Many Robots to go on sale on Steam (missed the GG deal).

Webzen was added to the registry. They make MMORPGs http://www.webzen.coms

I think TERA is also coming to Steam (there's a trailer in the registry).

I need Shoot Many Robots to go on sale on Steam (missed the GG deal).

Webzen was added to the registry. They make MMORPGs http://www.webzen.coms

I think TERA is also coming to Steam (there's a trailer in the registry).

Shoot Many Robots was so much more fun than I was expecting, but also very repetitive. I got through normal and about halfway through the next difficulty before I just got too bored.

Nabs

^^ haha

Shoot Many Robots was so much more fun than I was expecting, but also very repetitive. I got through normal and about halfway through the next difficulty before I just got too bored.

I had a chance to try it out recently and really liked what I played. I would have picked it up sooner but no demo...

Blizzard

Banned
I had a chance to try it out recently and really liked what I played. I would have picked it up sooner but no demo...
Darnit, you changed your phrasing. I was going to say that Steam makes it easy to buy games without a demo, since it's not like anyone plays them anyway. =P

HoosTrax

That game Starvoid that just showed up for pre-order -- holy hell does that look like a complete and utter clone of Dawn of War 2. The #5 "bot" thing on the hotbar in fact looks identical to the Space Marine turret.

1-D_FTW

So two beta access but one game?

Eurogamer's article was to the contrary, but yes, to me it reads as one retail code. Which makes sense. You give a beta to a friend, and if they really like it, they'll then go and order a copy for themselves. It's a good viral marketing scheme.

Just beat KotOR II, awesome rpg. It's a pity there will likely never be a direct sequel to The Sith Lords. The teases, the dangling bits of unresolved plot Obsidian threw out at the end there about
where Revan had gone after the Jedi Civil War, that the true threat to the Republic isn't some ideological war between Jedi factions and that the true Sith and their empire lays somewhere beyond the rim of known space just waiting
hint at a game that could be pretty epic.

Kreia is easily my favourite character out of the cast in this game, arguably out of rpgs as a whole. I love her arc as a character, I love the writing and dialogue in this game.

Just beat KotOR II, awesome rpg. It's a pity there will likely never be a direct sequel to The Sith Lords. The teases, the dangling bits of unresolved plot Obsidian threw out at the end there about
where Revan had gone after the Jedi Civil War, that the true threat to the Republic isn't some ideological war between Jedi factions and that the true Sith and their empire lays somewhere beyond the rim of known space just waiting
hint at a game that could be pretty epic.

How long would it take me to play through KOTOR and KOTORII?

KOTOR 2 took me 25-30 hours back in the day. Plus an additional 2-3 years of bitter tears at the lack of a sequel.

Nice length for an RPG right there. I'm really not sure whether I should go to KOTOR2 directly or play KOTOR first. From what I've read it's hard to go back to the first and I paid for it so...

But then you played The Old Republic, and it was like KOTOR 3 - 9, right?

rofl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom