• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

The mailman was a little slow, but my Portal 2 and 50 percent off any Saint's Row 3rd DLC coupons have arrived. I'm buzzed with excitement.

Blizzard

Banned
Nice length for an RPG right there. I'm really not sure whether I should go to KOTOR2 directly or play KOTOR first. From what I've read it's hard to go back to the first and I paid for it so...
I personally recommend playing KOTOR first, as long as you don't find yourself hating it like 4 hours in. Overall I recall liking the characters and story better in it than KOTOR2, though KOTOR2 probably had some good characters too and I'm just not remembering the details.

HoosTrax

I personally recommend playing KOTOR first, as long as you don't find yourself hating it like 4 hours in. Overall I recall liking the characters and story better in it than KOTOR2, though KOTOR2 probably had some good characters too and I'm just not remembering the details.
This describes me and KOTOR 2 as well. I can't for the life of me really remember anything about the game other than the PC being a jedi investigating Revan or something, and visiting some of Revan's old haunts.

KOTOR 1 was more distinctly memorable for me for whatever reason.

Mr.Fresh

I googled but can't but didn't find an answer. My cousin logged on his steam account when he was here and now it wont let me log him out to use my profile i got with Portal 2 PS3.

1-D_FTW

So anyone know what the Darksiders 2 patch is doing?

I'm really digging this, so I hope it doesn't brake my mods. Would have forbid any updates if I could (I now know why people want this ability).

Nabs

As most of you are aware, Vigil has been working hard to research and address each bug report in the forums – thank you for all the input! I am happy to report we are prepping the 2nd PC patch that will go that will go live shortly. We’re committed to supporting our community and this second update should resolve many of the issues you are experiencing.

PC Patch #2 Details:

• In this patch your key mappings will revert to defaults.

• Added Key Bindings option to the Pause Menu. (Previous location on the Moves List still there)

• The V-sync graphics option is now functional.

• Reaper Form now triggers correctly when using a Keyboard.

• Video Settings save to the Steam Cloud correctly.

• You can now sacrifice items below the 3rd row in the Possessed Weapon menu.

• Target Reticules align properly at all screen resolutions.

• Addressed crashes in Blackstone, including at the 2nd lever and during the Lilith cut-scene.

• Various gameplay progressions fixes.

As always, thank you for your patience! Our team is working hard to address reports quickly & will keep you updated on the progress.

Please continue to post any bugs or issues you are experiencing within our Technical Help & Bug Reporting section of the forums.
Darksiders II Community Manager

-THQSledgehammer

My power went out and offline mode worked on my laptop. Granted I never had that many problems with it before... but hopefully it's fixed fo sho now.

MRORANGE

so did I miss anything in this thread lol?

so while I was casted away from GAF, I managed to get through some of my backlog:

Games completed:

Sleeping Dogs

NyJe5.jpg

Sleeping Dogs is probably going to be my favourite game this year. It’s hard to imagine why Activision wanted to scrap this game as it really excels well as a sandbox game and has refined how we see the genre altogether. The story is amazing and can hold its own compared to Mafia 2 / GTA4. The combat is great, as well as movement; it’s very responsive compared to GTA4. Car’s are slightly arcade-ish to handle - but considering you can hijack cars and do slow motion shoot-outs it works out pretty well. Overall Sleeping Dogs is a love letter to Hong Kong cinema; I’ve been mesmerized by its tiny immaculate detail which gives this game so much charisma and charm. Truly one the great gems of this generation. On a last note, the PC version is just amazing, advance PC options and day 1 HD textures really show that United Front is commited to the PC. Listening to Ninja Tune radio while driving a motorbike down a wet and rainy neon lit sky is just pure bliss.

Rayman Origins

mlmN4.jpg

Best local co-op game for pc for miles, I actually managed to finish it with some friends, but boy do some of the later stages do make you want to rip your hair out, co-op can be quite hectic too, but overall it’s worth it, the visuals cannot get enough praise.

Stranglehold

4irZp.jpg

Unfortunately not Steam, but it’s worth picking up if you ever liked the Max Payne series, the whole game is a homage to John Woo style of films, the game is actually a game sequel to the film Hard Boiled, which is worth watching

Still playing:

RAGE

My 2nd attempt into the game and I’m actually starting to like it, I’ll try and finish this off when I can but some my negativity towards it has gone.

Nexuiz

Such a terrible game, with only 9 maps, most of which are pretty unoriginal and a dead community making use a matchmaking system to find games from another continent, it’s also the only game I can think of that wanted me to install raptr, the game also has dubstep. Avoid at all costs. Go buy Quake or Unreal instead, heck just play Nexuiz Classic instead.

CS:GO

I’m such a CS noob, still playing with bots. Seems like a easy version of CS/CS:S, still have no idea why Valve decided made it now at this current time. It’s still a good game with the new inclusion of new modes but it feels odd having 3 CS versions.

PS: why did no one gif Gabe from the GTTV show D: ?

icXzYv2376wwj.gif
ibd7DNjGfaQzo9.gif

PS: Almost forgot, thanks to Xelios for putting up OT3, sorry if you missed some sleep :lol

Well, Knights of the Old Republic is kind of fucked. Even running it under compatibility mode I can't get the game to launch successfully. As soon as the game runs it just minimises and becomes completely unresponsive. Vanilla, patched, doesn't make a difference.

Reading up on it, seems there are a host of issues with running the game properly on Windows 7.

Blizzard

Banned
Well, Knights of the Old Republic is kind of fucked. Even running it under compatibility mode I can't get the game to launch successfully. As soon as the game runs it just minimises and becomes completely unresponsive. Vanilla, patched, doesn't make a difference.

Reading up on it, seems there are a host of issues with running the game properly on Windows 7.
Sadly I don't have it installed now, but I really thought I tried running it on Windows 7 64-bit (beta?) and/or Vista, and maybe even posted a screenshot. That sucks it doesn't run for you...if I install it again and try, hopefully I'll remember to post specs or notes in the thread.

Megasoum

Banned
Hw does Steammover works exactly? I point the left box to my current steam common folder and point the other box to my backup common folder but even when I hit refresh it won't show the games I have in my backup...

Blizzard

Banned
Weirdly, no one even mentioned that the daily deal today was Lunar Flight (Lunar Lander for $2.50 USD), presumably in honor of Neil Armstrong.

It ran fine for me on Windows 7 although it seems some issues are quite common. Have you checked this thread: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1620666 ?

Just had a 1.7 GB update for Trine 2. What's this for? Don't see anything particulary different, so why i have to give up HD space?

Thanks for any information.

jediyoshi

Just had a 1.7 GB update for Trine 2. What's this for? Don't see anything particulary different, so why i have to give up HD space?

Thanks for any information.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2897170

Major changes:

- re-organized all game data, causing a 2 GB update, in preparation for the upcoming expansion Trine 2: Goblin Menace
- to disable update/download, check forum thread http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2897170

Gameplay/Usability:

- added information on Hardcore+Hard completion to the level select menu (for the Achievement)
- added "ice rafts" when a frozen arrow hits water
- tweaked the explosive barrel so that it can be extinguished with water
- tweaked many other gameplay elements

Multiplayer:

- added support for Trine 2 owners to play in the original campaign levels with those who own Trine 2: Goblin Menace and take advantage of the new skills (indirect use)
- added an arrow indicator showing where the other players are in online multiplayer

Technical:

- improved stability (many minor crash fixes)
- improved technical structure for data
- improved rendering
- improved multiplayer code
- fixed gamepad navigation in Achievements menu
- fixed a million other small things

Levels:

- fixed a rare gamestopper bug in Eldritch Passages
- fixed a rare gamestopper bug in Searock Castle
- fixed the Searock Castle Goblin King encounter co-op bug (all out-of-screen players now warp to it)
- fixed various other issues in other levels

Languages:

- added English language text instead of localization missing for languages that haven't been translated yet

Mac:

- fixed Retina Display resolution issue (workaround solution)

Renaming the intro movie files (biologo.bik, leclogo.bik, and legal.bik) helps. The game just skips them on launch and goes directly to the main menu. Problem is the UniWS patcher doesn't seem to be working.

I've got 1.3/no-cd version of the KotOR exe
I back up the Steam version of the exe in the same folder I've got KotOR 2
I copy the 1.3 exe and the fdx-sk13.nfo file into the KotOR dir in Steam
I run the UniWS patcher, the instructions specify the 1024x768, I find the resolution used makes no difference
I run the patcher, a new resolution entry is made, 1920x1200, but this resolution is in name only.
If I replace the 1024x768 resolution, that's what the actual resolution is even if it's called 1920x1200.
Every time I re-attempt to patch the resolution, I have to re-add the 1.3 exe and associated file. Stepping through the various resolutions and none of them work.
I've tried manually editing the .ini (only one location, unlike KotOR2's two locations) after running the patcher, doesn't make a difference.

What am I doing wrong here, I've followed the instructions, step-by-step.

Edit: It appears my only mistake was not starting a game before attempting this mod. The mod works, it just doesn't affect the main menu or any of the front end the way the Sith Lords widescreen/ui mod does. The change won't be visible until you're in-game.

I've had to outright disable the in-game movies to get the game to run, vanilla or widescreen mod'd, the game minimises and becomes completely unresponsive after the first logo movie plays. This could make for a very disjointed experience.

This is for real, the UI for the menus doesn't scale with the resolutions the game supports, it's just this tiny little 800x600 window with a giant border around it. wtf.

Edgeward

So uh, I have a 75% off for Portal 2 that popped in my inventory today. Quote this if you want it. For the 3 people that somehow still don't have this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom