• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketch

So I got a bunch steam gift cards a little while ago, but now the game I want (Guild Wars 2) is not for sale on steam =(

Anybody interested in working out a trade? GW2 for whatever steam game you want (equal value)?

I only wish that holding run didn't do that dumb charge up thing in Rayman.

I have 20 some years of mario training of hold down run at all times. You can't untrain me with one game Rayman. Stop doing that dumb dash into things.

eyeless

just thought i'd mention i found a splitscreen mod for l4d2 that adds it to the menu rather than having to type a bunch of commands in the console every time www.l4dmaps.com/details.php?file=17680 (essential for me, as i play with friends while drinking)

also a question about l4d2, is navigating the main menu with the controller all fucked up for everybody or is it just me? (also navigating to 'exit to the main menu' while in game)

Well that's your first problem, being insane and all.

I dunno. I ended up liking Rayman Origins overall, but it's far from a tight platformer. I can see why it could be disliked - I certainly did at first, but it grew on me as the levels got more complex and I adjusted to the mechanics.

Horrible bosses, though. Just awful all round.

moojito

Every time I play just cause 2 I fail to get over how awesome it is. I never "got" the demo when it came out, either. I played a bit but didn't see its genius at the time, and also when I bought it it sat unplayed for ages. Now I'd say it's possibly the best game I've ever played for awesome graphics and pure fun. Not sure why I'm posting this in the steam thread, but it's always like 3 quid in every steam sale. There's a tenuous link for you!

One Question. Is it flash?

Yeah, the individual games are .swf files, it runs in adobe air. On higher end pcs the games should mostly run smoother than Isaac does, though.

My computer is a bit on the older side (bought in like 2008 I think? only has 2GB of ram), and there was some slowdown in Meat Boy (when there was scrolling levels) and Spewer (until I disabled some background details).

Yeah, the individual games are .swf files, it runs in adobe air.

Then im not gonna buy it. Srsly everyone had tons of issues with Isaac (even if it looks like shit but it runs as shit also) and he doesnt want to port an old and easy code from some flash games he made into c++ or anything else? Thats some lazy shit even for 4$

Then im not gonna buy it. Srsly everyone had tons of issues with Isaac (even if it looks like shit but it runs as shit also) and he doesnt want to port an old and easy code from some flash games he made into c++ or anything else? Thats some lazy shit even for 4$

Porting Flash -> C++ is not trivial, especially since a lot of Edmund's games seem to make liberal use of timeline based script and animation, which would be incredibly difficult to port over.

It's certainly way more than four dollars worth of effort.

feel

Got a random 75% off Portal 2 coupon last night and immediately used it to gift the game to a friend that didn't have it yet. Feels good to spread the joy of Portal 2.

sgossard

On the topic of Rayman Origins, it keeps freezing on me. Has it happened to anyone else? I have an ATI Radeon 6790 and it runs all other games fine. I'll be playing and suddenly the screen goes black, hangs there for like 10 seconds and then comes back to the game but sometimes the music will be gone. As I said, I don't have this problem with any other graphic-intensive games. Hope GAF can help.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Speak for yourself.

Doing this scares the ever loving shit outta me, but it's got to be done.

I'm re-installing windows on my 2TB drive. Now, to back up steam, I litterally just copy the 'steamapps' folder onto my other HDD, right?

And as for saves, I've used game save manager to move them all onto my other HDD.

MRORANGE

Doing this scares the ever loving shit outta me, but it's got to be done.

I'm re-installing windows on my 2TB drive. Now, to back up steam, I litterally just copy the 'steamapps' folder onto my other HDD, right?

And as for saves, I've used game save manager to move them all onto my other HDD.

yup that should be fine.

HoosTrax

I didn't have any issues with Isaac on my desktop but my thinkpad sadly can't handle it that well. :(
Same.

No issues on my desktop (2500K quad-core), but it definitely performs sub-par on my laptop, which uses the mobile equivalent of a Core 2 Duo. Very noticeable slowdown whenever I fire a tear, even with low detail + smallest window size. It's a bit unfortunate considering I can play TF2 and Borderlands on this laptop, but not altogether surprising either, since those games would be using the laptop's 9800GTX mobile equivalent for rendering.

Blizzard

Banned
Sweet, cheers for the help. I can re-download most 10GB games in less than an hour so a few games here and there shouldn't be a problem.

Saves I'm most worried about, tbh. I know GFWL doesn't like moving saves about.
Make a list of the games that you most want to keep saves for and then do the research, since some -- GFWL games and indie games for instance -- may save in very odd places.

*edit* Or you can use your newfangled automation. In MY day we didn't use no fancy tools!

MRORANGE

Sweet, cheers for the help. I can re-download most 10GB games in less than an hour so a few games here and there shouldn't be a problem.

Saves I'm most worried about, tbh. I know GFWL doesn't like moving saves about.

for most games they are most likely in your documents folder, I recommend backing that up as well.

HoosTrax

How many people here knew that the Toejam & Earl games on Steam had online co-op?
Hmm how does it work? Peer to peer? Steam friends list?

Btw, what was the name of Sega's Tetris / Bejeweled style game from the Genesis era (it had...Roman?...style background art I think).

RedSwirl

I don't know man it just says "Multiplayer" and "Co-op" on the game pages. I know that doesn't strictly mean local because on the page for Gunstar Heroes on Steam it specifically says "Local co-op".

HoosTrax

Yes! That's exactly what I was thinking of. Although looking at the screenshots, I guess it's Greek and not Roman...

I remember annoying the employees at Funcoland (the Gamestop equivalent back in the 90s), hogging the Genesis machine that had the Columns cartridge set up.

I don't know man it just says "Multiplayer" and "Co-op" on the game pages. I know that doesn't strictly mean local because on the page for Gunstar Heroes on Steam it specifically says "Local co-op".
Mortal Kombat Kollection does have real honest-to-goodness online co-op. I'd be kind of surprised if they went and added online for the old Genesis back catalog to be honest though.

Right, so... what you're saying is... it's a Mega Drive ROM like all the others, and in fact does not have online co-op?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom