• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Anyone else think that games/stuff popping up in the Steam registriy, spoiling a release, rubs some developers the wrong way? I wonder if they need to change something regarding that system in the future.

Why would it? The fact that people think it's worth posting about shows interest for the game in the community and should be an encouragement to the developers.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Anyone else think that games/stuff popping up in the Steam registriy, spoiling a release, rubs some developers the wrong way? I wonder if they need to change something regarding that system in the future.

Well, if it's the element of surprise they want, there are two ways to combat registry snoops:

1) Announce the game as soon as it's been accepted on Steam, or
2) Temporarily hide it as a ValveTestApp

Steam Greenlight is still happening tomorrow, right? I'm oddly excited for its release.

Yep.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Why would it? The fact that people think it's worth posting about shows interest for the game in the community and should be an encouragement to the developers.

Not to mention that only enthusiasts pay attention to the Steam registry anyway.

derFeef

I was just wondering, as a dev I would not want to get my games spoiled.

Not to mention that only enthusiasts pay attention to the Steam registry anyway.

It's getting out there, GCI F2P is a recent example.

Well, if it's the element of surprise they want, there are two ways to combat registry snoops:

1) Announce the game as soon as it's been accepted on Steam, or
2) Temporarily hide it as a ValveTestApp

Yeah that's what I mean, Alan Wake was one such case.
I had no idea they have control over the name, then I wonder why they name it directly ;)

JaseC

I had no idea they have control over the name, then I wonder why they name it directly ;)

I seem to remember a non-Valve game being outed as a ValveTestApp. IIRC, it was DLC for something, and the only reason somebody was sure it was not Valve related is that DLC entries have an additional line that points to the "app" it requires (e.g. Dawnguard's entry has a link to Skyrim).

garath

I was just wondering, as a dev I would not want to get my games spoiled.

why?

By the time it hits the steam registry it's pretty close to release anyways correct? I don't understand the "spoiling" aspect here. Games are announced way in advance of getting on the steam registry.

derFeef

why?

By the time it hits the steam registry it's pretty close to release anyways correct? I don't understand the "spoiling" aspect here. Games are announced way in advance of getting on the steam registry.

Not necessarily. And I am mostly talking about PC ports, DLC's and so on. Jet Set Radio is another example.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
It's getting out there, GCI F2P is a recent example.

It hasn't gotten out to the videogame blogs that the average gamer pays attention to, and, unless it really is an earth shattering registry leak, they don't often. Joystiq/Kotaku/IGN haven't reported on it yet.

Not necessarily. And I am mostly talking about PC ports, DLC's and so on. Jet Set Radio is another example.

I don't think Jet Set Radio was spoiled. The release date was announced before it appeared in the registry.

Alright, I'm considering a format of my computer (might upgrade to Win 8 but I need to do a clean install anyways).

As far as I can tell backing up steam is still as easy as copying the Steamapps folder to an external drive and then copying it back once everything is done.

What I really need to know about is game saves though. Where are most Steam games saved? Where are most games saved on Windows? I have some Blizzard games I'll want to reinstall when the process is done as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

Alright, I'm considering a format of my computer (might upgrade to Win 8 but I need to do a clean install anyways).

As far as I can tell backing up steam is still as easy as copying the Steamapps folder to an external drive and then copying it back once everything is done.

What I really need to know about is game saves though. Where are most Steam games saved? Where are most games saved on Windows? I have some Blizzard games I'll want to reinstall when the process is done as well.

This will find and backup your saves automatically:
http://www.gamesave-manager.com/

ShaneB

So excited for Walking Dead ep3 today. I hope someone will post a head-ups in this thread when it's out on Steam since there's no way in hell I'm clicking in any of the dedicated threads for the game. Some PS3 owners have already played it so the spoiler threat level is in the red right now.

I was incredibly close to clicking the spoiler thread before I went to bed last night, and then realized people already played it. Can't wait to play that tonight when I get home.

Couple of tips to save you from some of the headaches I ran into -- if you're not playing a Rogue (you won't have access to an NPC rogue immediately), download the lock bash mod (this game doesn't have the ability to bash open chests, unlike just about any other Bioware game). Also, put some upgrades into the Coercion ability to ensure you have all available options in negotiation conversations.

Having just finished DA:O, I'm kind of reminded why I dislike DLC -- it never seems to integrate seamlessly into the base game, and there's always something that doesn't quite mesh. In this case, many of the items the DLC content adds don't import properly into the Awakening expansion.

Other games have DLCs that immediately give you OP weapons for free right off the bat, or have weapons that have no upgrade paths like the stock weapons (SR3 for example). Just once, I'd like to see some add-on content where I wouldn't be able to tell which part of the game was vanilla and which came from the DLC, unless it was explicitly pointed out to me.

Sorry for the late reply, feel bad when a long post goes unnoticed! I have no idea when I'll ever get around to playing DA:O, but the post is appreciated, I'll be sure to check out mods before starting my playthrough, whenever that will be.

Definitely agree on your DLC thoughts as well, I generally stay away from most of it just because it does feel so disconnected. But at the same time, when it does feel seamless, you wonder why it couldn't have been put in the initial launch product.

I would also consider saving your userdata folder. I recently reinstalled Steam and backed up my Steamapps folder so all my games were saved, but I forgot to save userdata and consequently lost over 1600 screenshots of games I've played. They're all uploaded to the cloud so it's not a huge deal, but I no longer have any local copies of them. If this is important to you, save your userdata folder.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Steam, at some level, considers every user to own every F2P game on the service due to the lack of an upfront purchase cost. Visit the store page of any F2P game and, although the "Your already own ..." notification won't be present, the side menu will show that all your friends own it.

Edit: Despite this, only F2P games that you've added to your account will be factored into your game count.

I see. It feels really odd.

So excited for Walking Dead ep3 today. I hope someone will post a head-ups in this thread when it's out on Steam since there's no way in hell I'm clicking in any of the dedicated threads for the game. Some PS3 owners have already played it so the spoiler threat level is in the red right now.
I just cancelled my night plans to play it. I'm excited. I love these episodes. They're fun for someone to just watch someone else play too.

tjohn86

The walking dead still just doesnt run on my computer. Click play, my icon turns green, my icon turns blue, nothing.

Really frustrated by Telltales support.

The hype has me so tempted to pick up Walking Dead T_T

But I must master my impulses as my backlog looms enormous and Spec Ops: The Line is currently in download.

JaseC

SteamGAF. New PC.

64gb SSD
1TB HDD

Where to put Steam? (I plan to use Steam Mover)

Install Steam to the 1TB and use Steam Mover to have your current games (as in the ones you're playing) installed on the SSD. 64GB may seem like a lot initially, but after a few months or so of regular use, you'll wonder where much of it went.

Install Steam to the 1TB and use Steam Mover to have your current games (as in the ones you're playing) installed on the SSD. 64GB may seem like a lot initially, but after a few months or so of regular use, you'll wonder where much of it went.

You are as nice as your avatars. Thank you. <3

Edit: I am such an idiot. Why didn't I download RAGE earlier?!

HoosTrax

SteamGAF. New PC.

64gb SSD
1TB HDD

Where to put Steam? (I plan to use Steam Mover)
If you intend to have your entire Steam collection installed, then probably just install the Steam client on the 1TB HDD and symlink game folders onto the SSD. Otherwise it becomes a hassle to manage.

If you're the type who only installs what they're currently playing, then it's fine (and slightly faster in terms of starting Steam) to install the client and games on the SSD.

If you intend to have your entire Steam collection installed, then probably just install the Steam client on the 1TB HDD and symlink game folders onto the SSD. Otherwise it becomes a hassle to manage.

If you're the type who only installs what they're currently playing, then it's fine (and slightly faster in terms of starting Steam) to install the client and games on the SSD.

Nah, I like to keep lots of games on my HDD :)

HoosTrax

Nah, I like to keep lots of games on my HDD :)
Same hear heh.

Grats on the new piece of kit. (But be prepared to rage at people when you're playing games online..."load faster people!")

Total War Battles: Shogun is now on Steam (PC/MAC) for $7.99

http://store.steampowered.com/app/217060/?snr=1_4_4__100_4

It's a port of the mobile game...
Eh, not a fan of mobile ports usually. Looks like a cross between AOE:O and Heroes of Might and Magic.

Now's the perfect opportunity to test how long somebody can watch an ~18GB download tick by before going insane. :p

I'm gonna let it download while I'm sleeping ;_;

btw, you have an nvidia card as well, right? what is that program everybody is talking about to force AA, V-sync etc. ex-AMD user here.

Same hear heh.

Grats on the new piece of kit. (But be prepared to rage at people when you're playing games online..."load faster people!")

hehe thanks, it's a whole new build.

Gav47

Who wants a Waves key? this game is totally bitchin' and is probably the closest you'll get to Geometry Wars 2 on PC. Quote for key

JaseC

Total War Battles: Shogun is now on Steam (PC/MAC) for $7.99

http://store.steampowered.com/app/217060/?snr=1_4_4__100_4

This has a $2 Aussie Tax. $2. Surely at some point a publisher is going to look at an arbitrary price increase and think, "Gee, that's just not worth it."

I'm gonna let it download while I'm sleeping ;_;

btw, you have an nvidia card as well, right? what is that program everybody is talking about to force AA, V-sync etc. ex-AMD user here.

Nvidia Inspector.

you da best

vAxt9.jpg

JaseC

Haha, the very first game I played when I bought a GTX 570 about a year ago was Bastion. I didn't get far, though.

JaseC

I got a new video card for Christmas and I did the same damn thing. Played the shit out of the game, though.

I probably quit to play CS:S and quickly forgot all about the game. I tend to do that, although I've done well to avoid it lately (currently hooked on Sleeping Dogs).

JaseC

570s are monsters when it comes to 2d games, you can run them on any setting and they run smooth as butter.

It's a great all-rounder. Metro 2033 is the only game that doesn't run acceptably for me (30fps or higher) when maxed out. If it weren't for the 1.28GB VRAM I'd just get a second one on the cheap and wait for the 7xx series, but as it stands I intend to purchase a GTX 670 at some point.

first problem with new pc: gfwl ofc :lol

"It looks like you're signing in from a new PC! GFWL has corrupted your saves to protect your privacy. Click here to learn more."

SteamGAF, I'm thinking of picking up Virtua Tennis 4 while it's $5.

1) How big is the download? It doesn't say on the store page.

2) Is it very good? It says a 66 metacritic, but I looked into it, and it's only that low because there's only 5 scored, and one was from a Russian magazine that gave it 50.

Thoughts?

JaseC

SteamGAF, I'm thinking of picking up Virtua Tennis 4 while it's $5.

1) How big is the download? It doesn't say on the store page.

2) Is it very good? It says a 66 metacritic, but I looked into it, and it's only that low because there's only 5 scored, and one was from a Russian magazine that gave it 50.

Thoughts?

It's $5 (and 2.6GB). Buy it!

Blizzard

Banned
"It looks like you're signing in from a new PC! GFWL has corrupted your saves to protect your privacy. Click here to learn more."
I've probably already whined about it in this thread, but earlier this year I had one of my stupid bouts of "I forget why I don't play SFIV" and reinstalled it or whatever. I was like, I'm gonna play it again!

It took me probably two hours to finally get my account working and logged in. Apparently my old password had used a special character (like '!@#$ or whatever) which caused the client not to work because of some update they had done (good luck figuring this out without doing a bit of research?), and if I recall correctly it might not have been possible to change it because of the special character, on the Microsoft websites either, so I think I downloaded some special GFWL client ala Steam to change it just so I could log in to my old SFIV account.

But of course the real reason I don't play SFIV is because I can't figure out combo timing, I'm not fast enough, and I only have a 360 controller. :p

JaseC

I've probably already whined about it in this thread, but earlier this year I had one of my stupid bouts of "I forget why I don't play SFIV" and reinstalled it or whatever. I was like, I'm gonna play it again!

It took me probably two hours to finally get my account working and logged in. Apparently my old password had used a special character (like '!@#$ or whatever) which caused the client not to work because of some update they had done (good luck figuring this out without doing a bit of research?), and if I recall correctly it might not have been possible to change it because of the special character, on the Microsoft websites either, so I think I downloaded some special GFWL client ala Steam to change it just so I could log in to my old SFIV account.

But of course the real reason I don't play SFIV is because I can't figure out combo timing, I'm not fast enough, and I only have a 360 controller. :p

Ubi was equally stupid with Far Cry 2. uPlay itself supports special characters, but Far Cry 2's in-game log-in form does not, so, after discovering this for myself, I had to change my LastPass-generated 20-character password to another 20-char password and type that in (actually, I may not even have bothered going back to the game).

Liar! I bought it and it is 3.2GB. I feel so betrayed...

:p

3.2GB installation, 2.6GB download. ;)

1-D_FTW

Can anyone who's actually played VT4, recommend it?

EDIT: Oops. Thinking of another poster.

2ND EDIT: Fuck it. It's 5 dollars. I'll give it a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom