• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So uhh.. to look completely ignorant.. how does Greenlight work - do I give the item a 'thumbs up' or a 'favourite'.. how does one actually vote yay or nay on these things? The FAQ didn't really answer my question :/

Thumbs up if you want it on Steam, thumbs down if you don't. At present it's not possible to remove a vote, so choose wisely. ;)

So uhh.. to look completely ignorant.. how does Greenlight work - do I give the item a 'thumbs up' or a 'favourite'.. how does one actually vote yay or nay on these things? The FAQ didn't really answer my question :/

Edit.. oh wait - I think you need to 'favourite'

Also - there is not enough info on these pages - they should be forced to list current status: released on x platform, needs converting from other platform, in alpha/beta etc. dream in the developers eye.. cos there is just not enough info for a lot of the crap listed (no offence to anyone who has their stuff up there).

Wait, I thought the thumbs up and down buttons were the voting options? Have I been doing it wrong? lol

zkylon

zkylewd
DERHE-RRDER-RINGE
ty (Dishonored is mine :D)

1314573432140_f.jpg

JaseC

Wait, I thought the thumbs up and down buttons were the voting options? Have I been doing it wrong? lol

Nope. If you click on the thumbs up, a notification will appear saying, "Thanks for helping this game get closer to release on Steam!" (I assume there's an equivalent for downvoting -- I haven't done that yet.) Adding it to your favourites just... adds it to your favourites. ;)

ty (Dishonored is mine :D)

1314573432140_f.jpg

:swoon:

Smash88

Banned
The only reason I Am Alive is coming out on PC is not because they are doing it from their heart, it's because the game was garbage and sold like shit on consoles so they are trying to break even by bringing it on PC to make anything they can to recoup costs.

--------------------------------

Giantbomb gave it 2/5 stars:

Review: http://www.giantbomb.com/i-am-alive/61-21107/reviews/

Quick-Look: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-i-am-alive/17-5769/

Excerpt from the review:

"Worse, you abandon the search for
your wife and daughter
(minor spoiler - it's the whole stories premise from the beginning) after about 20 minutes, spending the rest of the game acting as an errand boy for other characters you meet with almost no reference to the primary, personal reason you're here in the first place. Then the game culminates in one of the hastiest, most ramshackle endings I've seen in ages, resolving almost nothing and leaving at least one major character pretty much totally unaccounted for."

Metacritic has it at 75 (PS3) and 69 (360), game is mediocre at best with some interesting mechanics.

---------------------------------

I mean I'll still get it, but they are using the whole piracy issue to mask how bad the game truly is. And I truly hate it when devs/publishes do that, but I'm not surprised as this is Ubisoft.

Nope. If you click on the thumbs up, a notification will appear saying, "Thanks for helping this game get closer to release on Steam!" (I assume there's an equivalent for downvoting -- I haven't done that yet.) Adding it to your favourites just... adds it to your favourites. ;)

Okay, that's what I thought. I was wondering if maybe I was suppose to favorite them as well.

camerooni

Neo Member
Thumbs up if you want it on Steam, thumbs down if you don't. At present it's not possible to remove a vote, so choose wisely. ;)

Oooh okay.. yeah I thought so - but then in the right column it had a 'current favourites' listing.. makes sense.. Cheers JaseC.

Also thanks for mentioning the Paradox pack on Amazon earlier - $10 yeah.. even though I only wanted Crusader Kings II and Warlock it was still a massive saving! Due to go in Steam list to never be played!!

I'm going to ask around my friend circle first if they want anything but the rest I'll put up on here - Testing my email embedding:

DukeBobby

The only reason I Am Alive is coming out on PC is not because they are doing it from their heart, it's because the game was garbage and sold like shit on consoles so they are trying to break even by bringing it on PC to make anything they can to recoup costs.

--------------------------------

Giantbomb gave it 2/5 stars:

Review: http://www.giantbomb.com/i-am-alive/61-21107/reviews/

Quick-Look: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-i-am-alive/17-5769/

Excerpt from the review:

"Worse, you abandon the search for
your wife and daughter
(minor spoiler - it's the whole stories premise from the beginning) after about 20 minutes, spending the rest of the game acting as an errand boy for other characters you meet with almost no reference to the primary, personal reason you're here in the first place. Then the game culminates in one of the hastiest, most ramshackle endings I've seen in ages, resolving almost nothing and leaving at least one major character pretty much totally unaccounted for."

Metacritic has it at 75 (PS3) and 69 (360), game is mediocre at best with some interesting mechanics.

---------------------------------

I mean I'll still get it, but they are using the whole piracy issue to mask how bad the game truly is. And I truly hate it when devs/publishes do that, but I'm not surprised as this is Ubisoft.

I actually liked I Am Alive. Guess I'm in the minority. Giantbomb was spot on about the ending, though (and the story in general). It was pretty shit.

Smash88

Banned
I actually liked I Am Alive. Guess I'm in the minority. Giantbomb was spot on about the ending, though (and the story in general). It was pretty shit.

The mechanics looked really neat, something like that PS3 game The Last of Us; it looks like a lite version of that.

Mrbob

They Bleed Pixels is pretty awesome. It's like an action packed version of Super Meat Boy. Lots of tough platforming while fighting off enemies. Works very well.

JaseC

Oooh okay.. yeah I thought so - but then in the right column it had a 'current favourites' listing.. makes sense.. Cheers JaseC.

The "Calculated ratings so far" bar is a visual representation of the voting tally, but for the moment it's set to some unrealistically high number so Valve can spend the next few days/weeks sorting through the voting data and ascertaining the goal a game must achieve before it's submitted for approval.

camerooni

Neo Member
Steam Powered User Forms might be dead soon. All discussion will link to http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/ and will be accessible with the Steam account.

That was obviously the plan.. allows them to more cleanly link peoples store accounts with their 'forum' accounts so that hopefully people will be more polite when their games are on the line :p

Re-tread of the 'my games are no longer playable because my forum account was banned' EA style drama incoming ;)
Followed by Blizzard style RealNamesOnly(TM) policy - lol.

</overthetop paranoid conspiracy theory>

Exuro

That was obviously the plan.. allows them to more cleanly link peoples store accounts with their 'forum' accounts so that hopefully people will be more polite when their games are on the line :p

Re-tread of the 'my games are no longer playable because my forum account was banned' EA style drama incoming ;)
Followed by Blizzard style RealNamesOnly(TM) policy - lol.

</overthetop paranoid conspiracy theory>
They haven't banned access from games for a while now. The most severe thing they'll do is temporary ban you from community features for a while.

Relax.MX

Ok..steam dont work for me, i can't download or play games...

EDIT: Its working now, but man i hate all this new stuff, Valve need to work in make steam more stable before put all this things

Twinduct

' Do not start flame wars! If someone has engaged in behavior that is a detriment to the message board -- spamming, flaming people, etc -- contact one of the forum moderators or report the post. Flaming the offensive user will only increase the problem. Harassment is not tolerated. '

Heh like that stopped the warriors!

benjipwns

Banned
Spuf was a cesspool but there is still some good information on there. I hope it doesn't just get wiped and either stays there as a read only or everything gets transferred to whatever new thing and is still easily found with Google.
Yeah, there's lot of fixes and addressing common problems in there. Hope it gets archived at least.

What codec/plug-in do I need to play game videos on Steam and did it suddenly change or my codec/plug-in version became obsolete? Yesterday I got the "codec not updated" or something message when trying to play a video, today Steam just crashes when I enter a game page with a video playing.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
This is the first time I put a non-Steam game in Steam... it suddenly vanished in my Library list! Then again I shut down the PC without closing Steam first. Is this normal?

I plan on putting Guild Wars 2 in my non-Steam game too...

derFeef

This is the first time I put a non-Steam game in Steam... it suddenly vanished in my Library list! Then again I shut down the PC without closing Steam first. Is this normal?

I plan on putting Guild Wars 2 in my non-Steam game too...

Non-Steam games vanish from the Library from time to time, I have not yet figured out why.

benjipwns

Banned
Oh yes...

And if not that, then you get to have duplicates show up. Sometimes endlessly! (I once had LEGO Star Wars shortcuts populate until there were twelve.)

yeah I always liked the individual games forums as well as the threads that track things like Steamworks
Those threads are good, like the free games list, easiest way to install stuff like Codename Gordon and Trackmania Nations Forever.

1-D_FTW

That's a decent price. Though I would say the Edge review nailed the game pretty well. It most certainly should not be compared with Portal in any way. Loving Portal means nothing with regards to QC.

Tomodachi

I can confirm first-hand that Quantum Conundrum is indeed Steamworks and Gamefly will give you a code to redeem it on Steam, I just did. Thanks for the heads up Rufus!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Does anyone know if there is a universal voucher code on GMG right now? I want to buy a Dark Souls steam key but the only one I've found is just for Sleeping Dogs.

EDIT - Found the answer on the last page, disregard.

ArjanN

Normal. Any higher and the game will probably lose its power fantasy feel. Also, melee-only is okay at first, but as the game goes on, play the game as a shooter. You don't have the health to go wading into mobs later on.

Hard isn't all that difficult and you can still stomp the crap out of the regular enemies. Only when
Chaos
shows up do you actually have to be more careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom