• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Aww, I like SPUF as it is now. It has searching posts by user, sorting threads by date, special icons if Valve staff post in the thread, a reputation system, and lots of other minor features discussions don't have yet.

No one is going to mention the elephant in the room, but half the reason why they're redoing it is because they got hacked through SPUF and so I think they're pretty much done using outside software they don't have 100% control of.

benjipwns

Banned
No one is going to mention the elephant in the room, but half the reason why they're redoing it is because they got hacked through SPUF and so I think they're pretty much done using outside software they don't have 100% control of.
Forgot about this. Still hope they archive it.

Shantom

Where's that Steam/Spaceballs image about preparing when you need it? TF2 is always preparing. I honestly don't know why I have it installed to my SSD.

Blizzard

Banned
Interesting, is this conjecture or confirmed? Was it a vBulletin hack specifically that did it?

I wonder if hacks will become worse once things are tied together though. At least with the SPUF hack it didn't affect accounts, but that would no longer be the case.

And yes they should definitely archive it, otherwise big threads of information and fixes for specific game problems will get lost.

Homefront isn't THAT bad.

It's not good by any means.

It sort of is everything that is wrong with shooters this gen all rolled up into one shitty ball.

Also I'm having fun screenshotting every instance of product placement.

MRORANGE

So it looks like Gabe is not at the Dota 2 International championships, this can only mean one thing.

iAWSDXam66KJo.jpg

I can´t log in into the Steam Web page, when I click the green log in button nothing happens, this is only happening to me or not?

Try clearing cookies, that might solve the problem, or using a different browser.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Interesting, is this conjecture or confirmed? Was it a vBulletin hack specifically that did it?

Yes:

Current SPUF HTML header said:
<meta name="generator" content="vBulletin 3.8.7" />

Edit: The source code of current discussion pages make no reference to generic forum software packages. What's interesting, though, is that Valve saw fit to name a js script "scriptaculous". ;)

Blizzard

Banned
Homefront isn't THAT bad.

It's not good by any means.

It sort of is everything that is wrong with shooters this gen all rolled up into one shitty ball.

Also I'm having fun screenshotting every instance of product placement.
You're not helping your case here. :p Make sure you report back how long it took to finish the campaign though.

louiedog

You're not helping your case here. :p Make sure you report back how long it took to finish the campaign though.

I think it took me 4.5 hours or so. It was about 30-45 minutes longer than I wanted to play. Of course I feel like that about most modern military shooter campaigns.

HoosTrax

I've had a TF2/Item trader attempt to add me twice is in as many days. Somebody isn't getting the message.
I get this a lot. If the person belongs to the TF2 Outpost community or if they're Russian, I immediately block them. Don't have time to deal with hat scammers.

JaseC

I get this a lot. If the person belongs to the TF2 Outpost community or if they're Russian, I immediately block them. Don't have time to deal with hat scammers.

I get trader requests only on the odd occasion, but this one bloke apparently won't take "ignore" for an answer. Even if I have a friend/group in common, I sift through profile comments and such to ensure it's a genuine request.

Did that hack breach anything related to Steam? I thought SPUF and Steam were totally separate systems. (Not that I'm saying it makes a difference to your point.)

JaseC

Did that hack breach anything related to Steam? I thought SPUF and Steam were totally separate systems. (Not that I'm saying it makes a difference to your point.)

Encrypted user account details were stolen. I can only speak for myself, but I never noticed any strange charges to my debit card (which has since expired).

Erm, no Valve didn't name it that, that's a very common javascript framework.

http://script.aculo.us/

The more you know.

HoosTrax

I think the SPUF vBulletin database is separate from Steam proper (you have to manually create an account to post on the forum, and the account info does not need to bear any relation to your Steam account info, nor do you even need a Steam account to make one on SPUF).

But there's a good chance that someone would choose the exact same login info for both, which is where the security issue comes into play.

The game costs 3,99&#8364; according to the store page, but if I login to Steam, it costs 2,79&#8364;. Strange discount.
There was mention of a special discount with unspecified criteria announced a while back. People are claiming that the criteria is owning SMB, BoI, or Gish.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think the SPUF vBulletin database is separate from Steam proper (you have to manually create an account to post on the forum, and the account info does not need to bear any relation to your Steam account info, nor do you even need a Steam account to make one on SPUF).

But there's a good chance that someone would choose the exact same login info for both, which is where the security issue comes into play.

IIRC the issue was that ancient, circa-2008 user info was stored on the server that was compromised, and so there was some risk related to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom