• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

camerooni

Neo Member
I just want to say lol at Gotham City Imposters going F2P. That was pretty quick. It had a ton of DLC when it came out, not sure why they didn't just make it F2P in the first place.

Because WB have a deal with Microsoft that all Batman games are GFWL and Microsoft won't let you give stuff away even if you want to? Don't want to devalue that Live service that actually does nothing other than pay for 'exclusives' bribes.

The game was very obviously designed for F2P.

/theory

Sysgen

Greenlight is going to be a bomb. Not enough people give a shit about these indie games and waste their time looking through that catalogue. It's work and it isn't interesting.

Blizzard

Banned
Greenlight is going to be a bomb. Not enough people give a shit about these indie games waste their time looking through that catalogue. It's work and it isn't interesting.
I disagree, and judging from the Greenlight thread other people disagree as well. At minimum it's an interesting experiment.

Derrick01

Banned
Greenlight is going to be a bomb. Not enough people give a shit about these indie games and waste their time looking through that catalogue. It's work and it isn't interesting.

I definitely agree with your last sentence the 1 time I took a look through it. A bunch of crummy looking games that I never heard of and probably wouldn't buy even for mega-sale achievement challenges.

But then again I am the indie hater guy so whatever. The only time I can see myself using it is if Wasteland 2 or Dead State needs to be voted in, but they will be so high quality that there's no chance of Steam turning them down.

dot

Speaking of Gotham City Imposters, it is quite fun. I remember not liking it much back when i played it on console.

But this time i actually gave it a chance and i'm really enjoying it! The game has a nice sense of humor to it too, haha.

It's just too bad the game doesn't have a windowed mode option... :/ That's the only negative i have for it so far.

Re-downloading 30gbs thanks to Glass Rebel.

Edit: I do agree with the statements of "Greenlight is too much work" and "not enough people likely give a shit about these indie games" although I don't think it will bomb. Valve will get the metrics off of this initial push and, likely, subsequent lull on input after the newness of the service wears off. I spent a bit of time sifting through all of the entries they've posted, which seems to grow and grow by the hour. While there are a few gems, there's a lot of shit on there. You're literally panning for gold trying to sift through Steam's too-broad categories and all of those entries. I up-voted games I thought looked good enough to be sold on the store and favorited the ones I would buy but after this I don't think I'll spend much time in Greenlight unless I know a game I want is somehow relegated to it, like Routine for exmaple.

Sites like Rock Paper Shotgun championing an indie game, like Project Zomboid, and sayign it's on Greenlight will get me to go, but beyond that, I don't wanna sift through all of that.

Greenlight is still too new for me to even have an opinion on it. I'm going to wait and see what games make it on Steam but I have a feeling I'll still be using Desura quite a bit.

Re-downloading 30gbs thanks to Glass Rebel.

Edit: I do agree with the statements of "Greenlight is too much work" and "not enough people likely give a shit about these indie games" although I don't think it will bomb. Valve will get the metrics off of this initial push and, likely, subsequent lull on input after the newness of the service wears off. I spent a bit of time sifting through all of the entries they've posted, which seems to grow and grow by the hour. While there are a few gems, there's a lot of shit on there. You're literally panning for gold trying to sift through Steam's too-broad categories and all of those entries. I up-voted games I thought looked good enough to be sold on the store and favorited the ones I would buy but after this I don't think I'll spend much time in Greenlight unless I know a game I want is somehow relegated to it, like Routine for exmaple.

Sites like Rock Paper Shotgun championing an indie game, like Project Zomboid, and sayign it's on Greenlight will get me to go, but beyond that, I don't wanna sift through all of that.

Good man. I'm finishing the races before I go to
Subway City
. Hate leaving loose ends.

One thing that made me laugh was the fact that Rage has a tab for Downloadable Content and it has no DLC.

Dunno if I want to replay the game on Hard or try to do 100% run on all the sidequests and minigames on Normal.

Wok

Yes. Achievement unlock even when you're truly offline.

Not for Mafia II DLC: I miss "Revenged" (Finish "Jimmy's Vendetta" on any difficulty) because I was truly offline.
And the game autosaves after each mission so I cannot replay the last mission to get the achievement while online. I have to start from scratch.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Not for Mafia II DLC: I miss "Revenged" (Finish "Jimmy's Vendetta" on any difficulty) because I was truly offline.
And the game autosaves after each mission so I cannot replay the last mission to get the achievement while online. I have to start from scratch.

Unfortunate, but are you sure the achievement trigger didn't bugger up? I missed a couple of story-based Rage achievements that I thought was due to me being offline (others unlocked just fine), but when I replayed through the game online, they still didn't unlock. :/

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I gifted somebody the Borderlands 2 Season Pass while it was erroneously priced yesterday and he gifted me I Am Alive in return, which I redeemed:

untitled-261rll.jpg

However, the game isn't in my library (and yes, I've both restarted Steam and deleted ClientRegistry.blob). Has anybody encountered this before?

Really? I was Offline for a day on Thursday and didn't get any achievements?

EDTI: And I should have unlocked some.

Hmm, maybe things have changed since last year, then. :( Or I'm misremembering... which is, frankly, more likely. :p

Milamber

Just started playing The Walking Dead: Ep. 3 & got disgusted by what happened an hour in the game. Now I'm just looking at my game library & Rig 'N' Roll is staring back. I know it's a management + driving sim but that's it. Those two put together is tempting me to hit 'play'.

Can someone here tell me otherwise?

kswiston

Greenman Gaming has a 25% off everything voucher in progress:

GMG25-1BW0K-K1A3G

A selection of Steam-registerable game prices after this code is applied:

Dishonored: $45
Borderlands 2: $37.50
Sleeping Dogs: $37.50
Dark Souls: $30
Hitman Absolution: $33.75
Company of Heroes 2: $45

Code expires in about 45 hours.

EDIT: There was a US only code for 25% off sent via email a couple of days ago. This code is different. Not sure if it is a regional sale or not.

In case of people not visiting the steamgifts thread I'll put this here too. Hope it's ok and good luck.

Majesty 2 Collection Steamgift Giveaway

c96165265bba6702765b6784cff328bce0f95358.jpg

Private. Quote to reveal.

Dingotech

GMG25-1BW0K-K1A3G

EDIT: There was a US only code for 25% off sent via email a couple of days ago. This code is different. Not sure if it is a regional sale or not.

I used the code listed above to buy Borderlands 2, and I'm based in Australia.

Should go well with the discounted DLC pack I bought yesterday. :D

deejay

I gifted somebody the Borderlands 2 Season Pass while it was erroneously priced yesterday and he gifted me I Am Alive in return, which I redeemed:

untitled-261rll.jpg

However, the game isn't in my library (and yes, I've both restarted Steam and deleted ClientRegistry.blob). Has anybody encountered this before?

Hmm, maybe things have changed since last year, then. :( Or I'm misremembering... which is, frankly, more likely. :p

When I ordered it it was listed as ValveTestAppxxx for me.

GMG25-1BW0K-K1A3G

Ok, fuck GMG's checkout process, it has never worked for me at ALL.

Would somebody be willing to buy this and gift it to me on steam, then I pay you back via some other method? Equivalent value in other steam gift? GOG? Paypal (though I cringe at supporting paypal)? Sexual favors?

Fireblend

Banned
Finally beat Darksiders! Fun game, although the collect-a-thon parts had me almost falling asleep, and it becomes mind-numbingly easy with the right updates. Not getting Darksiders 2 if it's anything like it though, I've had enough for a very long while.

Moving on to finish Gemini Rue, and then I'll hop into Alan Wake: American Nightmare. Can't wait! And hopefully I'll finish em both by Sept. 20th so I can justify getting Torchlight II on release!

I think I'll skip on getting Borderlands 2 and wait until next year's summer sale or something to play it.

Mrbob

I don't really use it right now because it is a mess. There needs to be better filtering and an easier way to approve the game you are looking for.

Derrick01

Banned
Finally beat Darksiders! Fun game, although the collect-a-thon parts had me almost falling asleep, and it becomes mind-numbingly easy with the right updates. Not getting Darksiders 2 if it's anything like it though, I've had enough for a very long while.

A very wise choice then. DS2 is like that for most of the game and it's a lot longer than 1. The entire game is a 3 part fetch quest, sometimes with 3 part fetch quests attached as a sub quest to the main 3 part fetch quest.

If it wasn't trying to be a serious game then it would be a hilarious parody of modern game design.

bonesquad

How hard is it to click the thumbs up button? :)

Maybe I don't understand the goal of greenlight, but I didn't think the point was to browse through it approving games you like. Sure you can, but I figured the main use was like kickstarter where people promote their game elsewhere. You'll see a game mentioned on a website, maybe some forum, that will link to their greenlight page where you can then approve the game.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I don't really use it right now because it is a mess. There needs to be better filtering and an easier way to approve the game you are looking for.

Imagine it's January 2013 and you're looking to up-vote a specific game you just heard about. How did you hear about the game? Youtube Trailer? The trailer has a link to the Greenlight page. RPS coverage? The RPS coverage has a link to the Greenlight page. GAF? We've got a link to the Greenlight page. Your friend told you about it? They'll send you a link or you can search for the name. You're on the developer's site? They have a link to the Greenlight page.

Greenlight might have some problems, but being able to up-vote a specific game you've heard of isn't one of them. That is and will be pretty much the easiest possible use-case.

1-D_FTW

A very wise choice then. DS2 is like that for most of the game and it's a lot longer than 1. The entire game is a 3 part fetch quest, sometimes with 3 part fetch quests attached as a sub quest to the main 3 part fetch quest.

If it wasn't trying to be a serious game then it would be a hilarious parody of modern game design.

Please. You don't like the game, and that's cool. But it's not more of a fetch quest than any other game. When a person likes a game, atmosphere, dungeons, they call it an adventure. When a person doesn't like the game, they call it a fetch quest.

Once a person turns against a game, that magical veil is lost and objectives (which all non-arcade games have) become tedious "fetch quests" because they want it over and all of a game's charm is lost. The difference between labels is purely one's perspective.

IMO the game flows a whole lot better than the first game. And while I'm sure you don't like the modern Zelda games, I'm enjoying it much more than any Zelda since OoT. This is a good game. It's not some true fetch quest like DKC64. If a person finds it to be a "fetch quest", it's simply because they don't like the game. Which is fine. But it's a well designed nonetheless.

A friend just told me he had bought the PS3 version of RAGE since he heard it was better than the 360/PC versions. He has a 6850. How can I help him? Is it too late? I don't know what to do.

Deadbeat

Banned
A friend just told me he had bought the PS3 version of RAGE since he heard it was better than the 360/PC versions. He has a 6850. How can I help him? Is it too late? I don't know what to do.
PS3 version is the worst version of the three. He should have just rented it.

Derrick01

Banned
Please. You don't like the game, and that's cool. But it's not more of a fetch quest than any other game. When a person likes a game, atmosphere, dungeons, they call it an adventure. When a person doesn't like the game, they call it a fetch quest.

Once a person turns against a game, that magical veil is lost and objectives (which all non-arcade games have) become tedious "fetch quests" because they want it over and all of a game's charm is lost. The difference between labels is purely one's perspective.

IMO the game flows a whole lot better than the first game. And while I'm sure you don't like the modern Zelda games, I'm enjoying it much more than any Zelda since OoT. This is a good game. It's not some true fetch quest like DKC64. If a person finds it to be a "fetch quest", it's simply because they don't like the game. Which is fine. But it's a well designed nonetheless.

I'm sorry but that is bullshit.

There was a point in the game where I had to go fight a guy before I could meet with some important guy. But before I could do that I had to get 3 blahs before the target would appear. After collecting 3 blahs and beating the guy everything was ok right? Wrong. The important guy wanted me to hunt down 3 derps before he would help me, after all that shit I just went through. While scouring the entire zone for the 3 derps, about halfway through I had to find 3 whogivesashits before I could find one of the 3 derps I needed.

If that doesn't qualify as a fetch quest somewhere in there then there has never been a game with a fetch quest. Your theory works the other way too. If you're into a game then it makes you blind to all of the bullshit it's making you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom