• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I forgot how much I really enjoyed Rage. How awesome the guns feel, the gadgets, the alternate ammo, enemy locomotion and hit reactions. Especially when you pop a bandits helmet off with a headshot, they stagger and fall on their ass.

Is there any reason to hoard Feltrite Crystals, for some reason I don't just want to sell what few I've found in the Hagar settlement.

Also I don't recall the game being dead easy on Normal when I first played through Rage but it feels that way on Hard.

Man, I forgot how much I really enjoyed Rage. How awesome the guns feel, the gadgets, the alternate ammo, enemy locomotion and hit reactions. Especially when you pop a bandits helmet off with a headshot, they stagger and fall on their ass.

Is there any reason to hoard Feltrite Crystals, for some reason I don't just want to sell what few I've found in the Hagar settlement.

Also I don't recall the game being dead easy on Normal when I first played through Rage but it feels that way on Hard.

Everything with a dollar sign you can safely sell.

BUT! you might need them for a sidequest later on.

MRORANGE

I'm about 1/2 through rage and I realized that I spend most of my time just punching mutants, it's a like spiritual successor of Zeno Clash, if I ever bothered to play Zeno Clash.

1-D_FTW

For the heck of it, I went and restarted Farcry 2 just to check something out. Turns out I may have been too hasty about enemies being complete bullet sponges. First time I played it, I was so annoyed by the 15 minute opening cutscene (that couldn't be skipped), when I finally got outside and was able to shoot, quit and deleted after the enemies completely overwhelmed me. I was like, bullet sponge ahoy! Turns out if you keep fighting until you "die", you then get whisked away and are "revived" at a new location. :lol I hate games that do that. Between that and the long, boring ride, that might be the worst opening of a game ever.

Those Darksiders 2 incorporates filler BS to the degree of say Skyward Sword? Or it's more or less torable than the first game? Only stupid sh*t in the first one were those combat trials.

Filler in Zelda is running around doing stupid stuff. "Filler" in this game is lots of dungeons. If you think the dungeons suck, that's a bad thing. If you're enjoying them, it's kind of good.

VALIS

Was just about to check out, quickly looked at one more game, lost my cart of 11 items. The client has been much better with this issue lately too, but apparently it still happens. Wasn't a back button press either, which use to wipe your cart fairly consistently. Oh well, at least my cart wasn't the product of scrubbing the store for an hour, mostly newer stuff I can add back pretty quickly. Maybe it was a warning from the gaming god, "stop buying shit you already have on iPad."

edit: Oof! Got back up to item #10, added it, cart wiped again. Guess I'll restart and hold off for now.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
News from the To The Moon thread: To The Moon will be released on Steam on Sep. 7. I'm not sure about price, but I'm guessing $10. Everybody should buy it if they're okay with visual-novel type games, RPG maker graphics, and emotional storylines.
Yes, finally!

For the heck of it, I went and restarted Farcry 2 just to check something out. Turns out I may have been too hasty about enemies being complete bullet sponges. First time I played it, I was so annoyed by the 15 minute opening cutscene (that couldn't be skipped), when I finally got outside and was able to shoot, quit and deleted after the enemies completely overwhelmed me. I was like, bullet sponge ahoy! Turns out if you keep fighting until you "die", you then get whisked away and are "revived" at a new location. :lol I hate games that do that. Between that and the long, boring ride, that might be the worst opening of a game ever.
I'm always in awe about the dislike that Far Cry 2 inspires. I really extracted massive enjoyment out of the game. First, the setting was one that videogames visit rarely... it was a vivid, beautiful and detailed depiction of the African sabanna. The game ran beautifully with everything to max specially on DX10. Amazing sense of exploration and freedome. Really liked how daring the designers were with the chaos inducing mechanics like weapon jamming, malaria and the fire spread.

I just learned to accept the game flaws and love it's good qualities. What a good f*cking game too bad we don't get stuff like this more frequently.
Filler in Zelda is running around doing stupid stuff. "Filler" in this game is lots of dungeons. If you think the dungeons suck, that's a bad thing. If you're enjoying them, it's kind of good.
Puzzle oriented dungeons with some combat to brake up exploration? I'm find with that. So if i enjoyed the first game then it's a save bet?

Derrick01

Banned
Does Darksiders 2 incorporates filler BS to the degree of say Skyward Sword? Or it's more or less torable than the first game? Only stupid sh*t in the first one were those combat trials.

I didn't play skyward sword so DS2 is my current definition of filler. The whole game is a fetch quest designed to give you a reason to go through 100 tiny and uninspired dungeons. The 4 or 5 in DS1 were much more memorable (for better or worse, damn portals).

just started playing Just Cause 2. whoa. game is hella fun. Don't really care much for the story, but the world is beautiful and sometimes...it's just a blast to blow a bunch of shit up.

Picked it up during the summer sale after the GAF plugging. Crazy fun game

Sober

I didn't play skyward sword so DS2 is my current definition of filler. The whole game is a fetch quest designed to give you a reason to go through 100 tiny and uninspired dungeons. The 4 or 5 in DS1 were much more memorable (for better or worse, damn portals).
Only world 2 and the first half/dungeon of world 3 are the low points; the former is that it is just straight up repetitive (rule of 3 times three, I would say literally) and then the first dungeon in world 3 is just stupid.

Combat is one of the better reasons to play the game. I thought besides the second world, most of the dungeons are pretty memorable (thematically, anyways). Puzzles can go either way but they work for the most part. Only memorable things in world 2 are the puzzles.

Also the portal gun dungeon in DS2 was really good.

Anyone having issues with downloads?

For some reason, it's not letting be download two games at once. :|
I think it's to do with the new content delivery system, as for me, it's only certain games that will prevent others being downloaded alongside them. Try to get the one that is preventing multiple downloads out of the way then the others will be fine.

It's not the best, but this is the only list I could find showing which games are on the new content delivery system. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2109493&page=9

Anyone used DLgamer ?

I want to buy borderlands from there : DL Gamer

But can't paypall it (first time purchase) or CC it either... Anyone could help me out ? paypall in advance

DTKT

I think it's to do with the new content delivery system, as for me, it's only certain games that will prevent others being downloaded alongside them. Try to get the one that is preventing multiple downloads out of the way then the others will be fine.

It's not the best, but this is the only list I could find showing which games are on the new content delivery system. http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2109493&page=9

Damn, that's exactly it. Star Trek Online was causing the other downloads to pause.

Thanks dude!

Don't count on a sale or anything.

Ugh that sucks. Was hoping to see Skyrim go on sale this weekend. Maybe it still will, with the DLC coming on Tuesday. My son is chomping at the bit to pick it up on PC, but I've told him not to blow $60 on it, as it's been on sale a couple times already.

Narag

Ugh that sucks. Was hoping to see Skyrim go on sale this weekend. Maybe it still will, with the DLC coming on Tuesday. My son is chomping at the bit to pick it up on PC, but I've told him not to blow $60 on it, as it's been on sale a couple times already.

There's a 25% off voucher on greenmangaming you could use on Skyrim.

DTKT

If yall could only go for one game to (buy/)play immediately, which would it be Guild Wars 2 or Dark Souls?

That's a though one...

I think I had to pick just one game I had to play for while, it would be Guild Wars 2. Just way more content to play though.

dot

If yall could only go for one game to (buy/)play immediately, which would it be Guild Wars 2 or Dark Souls?

Dark Souls. Even though the PC port is very poor, the game itself is still absolutely amazing.

Not really feeling GW2. It's kinda boring, to be honest. Maybe it'll get better in later levels..

Started up Super Crate Box, which locked up and forced Steam to close, and now Steam won't stay open when I launch a game.

this ain't very fun

EDIT: Yeah, Steam launches fine, but now when I started any game through Steam, the client crashes.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Dunno why I didn't think of that, but I did it...

... and nothing. Still crashing. =( I'll poke around the internet for a bit.

Oh dear. I think ClientRegistry.blob will need to have its medical license revoked.

You could try a fresh install of Steam, just be sure to back up the steamapps folder.

Are FPSes eventually gonna be F2P?
I think GCI is a special case. It really didn't sell well at all and had all of those micro-transactions at launch.

Why go F2p when most FPSes still sell like hotcakes?

Oh dear. I think ClientRegistry.blob will need to have its medical license revoked.

You could try a fresh install of Steam, just be sure to back up the steamapps folder.
It's only one mistake, ClientRegistry won't make it again. Honest!

I opted out of the Steam Beta Update and that seems to have worked, for whatever reason...

JaseC

I'm not sure where to buy it from. A few of the many books I've ordered from The Book Depository have arrived with slight cosmetic damage and/or misaligned pages due to the utterly average packaging, and although I'd happily pay a few bucks for better packaging, free shipping is the only option on offer, so I'm not sure I want to take the risk. I could buy the book from Amazon US/UK, whose packages are actually designed to be tossed around during transit, but then at ~$30 + shipping, I might as well just pay the extra few bucks and buy it locally at $50.

I opted out of the Steam Beta Update and that seems to have worked, for whatever reason...

Ah. Until recently, I never had success with the beta client updates functioning correctly on my system.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
which one?

I think GCI is a special case. It really didn't sell well at all and had all of those micro-transactions at launch.

Why go F2p when most FPSes still sell like hotcakes?

Huh wow, didn't know GCI still had microtransactions.

All of the ones that can't sell for shit as paid products, which is probably 80-90% of what's released in a given year.

Hopefully quality won't go down.

The f2p goldrush in the west is going to get interesting when more devs and pubs plunge in.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

The top, also only, 2 free-to-play games in the Steam top ten, with TF2 being the only f2p fps in the top ten...

52,663 118,901 Dota 2
39,374 89,053 Team Fortress 2

And the rest of the f2p fps (that I know of) in the top 100...

2,435 7,249 Gotham City Impostors Free to Play
1,497 3,485 Blacklight: Retribution
933 2,129 Tribes Ascend
309 645 Super Monday Night Combat

First, something that made me laugh, more people have played (and are currently playing) Rage than Super Monday Night Combat today. Second, the Tribes Ascend numbers are not representative of the entire, active player base for that game, just the ones accessing the game through Steam. High Res has their own stand-alone client. With that said, the disparity is pretty huge between Valve's offerings and everyone else's. Imagine if there was more competition. TF2 might contract back to its pre-f2p average with more competition but what about all of those other games? What would be left? I wonder what the average arc is for a free-to-play fps. Right now Gotham City Impostors is high up, 16th overall, because it's new. It wasn't all that long ago that Super Monday Night Combat enjoyed similar numbers and now its barely in the top one hundred.

The f2p goldrush in the west is going to get interesting when more devs and pubs plunge in.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

The top, also only, 2 free-to-play games in the Steam top ten, with TF2 being the only f2p fps in the top ten...

52,663 118,901 Dota 2
39,374 89,053 Team Fortress 2

And the rest of the f2p fps (that I know of) in the top 100...

2,435 7,249 Gotham City Impostors Free to Play
1,497 3,485 Blacklight: Retribution
933 2,129 Tribes Ascend
309 645 Super Monday Night Combat

First, something that made me laugh, more people have played (and are currently playing) Rage than Super Monday Night Combat today. Second, the Tribes Ascend numbers are not representative of the entire, active player base for that game, just the ones accessing the game through Steam. High Res has their own stand-alone client. With that said, the disparity is pretty huge between Valve's offerings and everyone else's. Imagine if there was more competition. TF2 might contract back to its pre-f2p average with more competition but what about all of those other games? What would be left? I wonder what the average arc is for a free-to-play fps. Right now Gotham City Impostors is high up, 16th overall, because it's new. It wasn't all that long ago that Super Monday Night Combat enjoyed similar numbers and now its barely in the top one hundred.

Wow SMNC is dead. I enjoyed what I played but it was only for the TF2 hats.

I'm not sure where to buy it from. A few of the many books I've ordered from The Book Depository have arrived with slight cosmetic damage and/or misaligned pages due to the utterly average packaging, and although I'd happily pay a few bucks for better packaging, free shipping is the only option on offer, so I'm not sure I want to take the risk. I could buy the book from Amazon US/UK, whose packages are actually designed to be tossed around during transit, but then at ~$30 + shipping, I might as well just pay the extra few bucks and buy it locally at $50.

$30 shipping is harsh, that's what I have to pay if I get it from Amazon US, shipping included. It's also the only way for me to get the book, don't think there's any Swiss vendors around :-/ The other Valve book (Sacrifice + TF2 + Portal) I got from Amazon US was in perfect condition.

So I played Alice Madness Returns for the first time, made some changes to the ini and gosh... this game is beautiful. I gotta tweak some more because I'm experiencing a few framedrops but man, it really looks good.

ngt

So I played Alice Madness Returns for the first time, made some changes to the ini and gosh... this game is beautiful. I gotta tweak some more because I'm experiencing a few framedrops but man, it really looks good.

Care to share your config when you're done?

JaseC

$30 shipping is harsh, that's what I have to pay if I get it from Amazon US, shipping included. It's also the only way for me to get the book, don't think there's any Swiss vendors around :-/ The other Valve book (Sacrifice + TF2 + Portal) I got from Amazon US was in perfect condition.

The shipping charge is about $16, but that pushes up the total cost to $40, which is just $10 less than the AU RRP.

The soundtrack is equally amazing. Also, art book!

Care to share your config when you're done?

I have a i5 3570K, GTX670 and 8GB RAM, all factory settings and used this guide.

Here's my config.

Runs buttery smooth at 60fps for me now.

The soundtrack is equally amazing. Also, art book!

Stop making me spend money on artbooks!

----

Also wanted to see where I left off in Darksiders... deleted my save files. And now it has some serious stuttering that I didn't have on my old rig from 2008. I'll make sure to keep this in mind next time, Vigil.

ngt

I have a i5 3570K, GTX670 and 8GB RAM, all factory settings and used this guide.

Here's my config.

Thanks, gonna try it after work.

Also wanted to see where I left off in Darksiders... deleted my save files. And now it has some serious stuttering that I didn't have on my old rig from 2008. I'll make sure to keep this in mind next time, Vigil.

Just finished Darksiders yesterday. Had some weird graphics problems with textures and shadows but no stuttering. Also quite often had to repeat some actions due to the achievements not popping. I guess the game's just plain buggy

JaseC

So, apparently Amazon US now ships select electronics and other previously-US-only products to some international destinations, including Australia. Just ordered an EVGA GTX 670 for AUD$369 shipped, saving myself a cool $100.

Stop making me spend money on artbooks!

Your wish is my command.
(The Art of Alice is the only one I own. ;))

Gav47

So, apparently Amazon US now ships select electronics and other previously-US-only products to some international destinations, including Australia. Just ordered an EVGA GTX 670 for AUD$369 shipped, saving myself a cool $100.

Import tax?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom