• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say, did they ever give a reason why Guild Wars 2 isn't buyable at Steam?

Probably because Valve requires you to use their service for DLC so they get a cut or something. Maybe something with how the game updates as well.

afaik this is the official stance of ArenaNet

No, it almost certainly won't be on Steam. Valve has some new business terms will keep almost all new MMOs off Steam.

Keep in mind the GW2 client is free to download from our web site and has no copy protection. (And if it's really important, you can add non-Steam games to your Steam library.)

The Secret World isn't on Steam either but I know that Planetside 2 will launch on Steam as well. Would be nice to hear it from Valve themselves what's keeping GW2 off Steam.

haikira

May not be up where Glass Rebel lives. It's not up here in the UK. I just get an error from that link.

I can see it in the new release list though, but it has no price beside it.

uhhh...The Secret World is available on steam.

Beaten.

May not be up where Glass Rebel lives. It's not up here in the UK. I just get an error from that link.

I can see it in the new release list though, but it has no price beside it.

Weird, not in the UK but I remember looking for it but not finding it before. They must have added it in the meantime.
or my brain is malfunctioning

The Secret World isn't on Steam either but I know that Planetside 2 will launch on Steam as well. Would be nice to hear it from Valve themselves what's keeping GW2 off Steam.

Judging by the fact that a fair portion of MMOs and F2P games is on Steam, I'd wager it's dat 30% cut they don't want to give to Valve. Same reason why the Maniaplanet games aren't on Steam: there's literally no reason why they couldn't be on Steam outside of dat cut.

1-D_FTW

Judging by the fact that a fair portion of MMOs and F2P games is on Steam, I'd wager it's dat 30% cut they don't want to give to Valve. Same reason why the Maniaplanet games aren't on Steam: there's literally no reason why they couldn't be on Steam outside of dat cut.

He did say "new" MMOs. So it's a fair point. Don't give the cut until you need the more difficult customers.

Although considering what a bomb TM2 was, I have to think they overplayed their hand on that one. I'd bet 70 percent of Steam sales would have been much better than 100 percent of bomba.

He did say "new" MMOs. So it's a fair point. Don't give the cut until you need the more difficult customers.

Although considering what a bomb TM2 was, I have to think they overplayed their hand on that one. I'd bet 70 percent of Steam sales would have been much better than 100 percent of bomba.

It was? Damn, and Shootmania doesn't look that hot either.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So I finished Quantum Conundrum. My friend warned me against buying it back when he played it, but at 3$ I dove right in.

I should have listened.

In a sentence: It feels like a game made by someone who learned nothing during their time at Valve.

There are just so many things wrong with the game. The dialogue is really dreadful and the delivery is just as bad. There is no real intriguing story/mystery that makes finishing these puzzles/work compelling (why on Earth would I want to help this irritating uncle?). The music has no personality to it and they really missed a huge opportunity to have it shift to different distinct themes to match with each dimension. The art style has this really bland Pixar leftovers look to it. If these things had been better executed, I could have looked past some of the more fundamental issues.

What took the cake for me was the puzzle design. There are 4 pretty decent ideas for dimensions, but there are maybe only 3 or so puzzles that actually use the dimensions in an interesting manner. For the majority the designers were content to have you repeat the same basic solution over and over again. I never once felt particularly satisfied upon completion of a room since I rarely had to put much thought into them. The only real barriers are some awful first person platforming and occasionally finicky timing. They end up feeling like work rather than mental exercise. I start to lose interest in puzzles when I feel as though I could have designed them myself with relative ease.

I can look past the lack of character in games like Puzzle Dimension because the puzzle design demands a significant amount of analysis and spatial reasoning. I can look past the relatively easy puzzles in Portal's singleplayer because there is a lot of effort put into keeping things fresh and exciting (story-wise) (and Portal 2 co-op had some legitimately amazing puzzle design).

I wouldn't even recommend the game at 3$. I'm just grateful I don't have the DLC stuck on my list to complete too.

1-D_FTW

So I finished Quantum Conundrum. My friend warned me against buying it back when he played it, but at 3$ I dove right in.

I should have listened.

In a sentence: It feels like a game made by someone who learned nothing during their time at Valve.

There are just so many things wrong with the game. The dialogue is really dreadful and the delivery is just as bad. There is no real intriguing story/mystery that makes finishing these puzzles/work compelling (why on Earth would I want to help this irritating uncle?). The music has no personality to it and they really missed a huge opportunity to have it shift to different distinct themes to match with each dimension. The art style has this really bland Pixar leftovers look to it. If these things had been better executed, I could have looked past some of the more fundamental issues.

What took the cake for me was the puzzle design. There are 4 pretty decent ideas for dimensions, but there are maybe only 3 or so puzzles that actually use the dimensions in an interesting manner. For the majority the designers were content to have you repeat the same basic solution over and over again. I never once felt particularly satisfied upon completion of a room since I rarely had to put much thought into them. The only real barriers are some awful first person platforming and occasionally finicky timing. They end up feeling like work rather than mental exercise. I start to lose interest in puzzles when I feel as though I could have designed them myself with relative ease.

I can look past the lack of character in games like Puzzle Dimension because the puzzle design demands a significant amount of analysis and spatial reasoning. I can look past the relatively easy puzzles in Portal's singleplayer because there is a lot of effort put into keeping things fresh and exciting (story-wise) (and Portal 2 co-op had some legitimately amazing puzzle design).

I wouldn't even recommend the game at 3$. I'm just grateful I don't have the DLC stuck on my list to complete too.

I bought it for 7.50 (because of an used Gamestop gift card that's been sitting around). I abandoned it out of dislike. For 3 dollars I wouldn't not recommend it, but solely because for 3 dollars I'll let people make their own mind up. But, yeah, I think the game sucks personally.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Probably because Valve requires you to use their service for DLC so they get a cut or something. Maybe something with how the game updates as well.

afaik this is the official stance of ArenaNet

I wonder what business deals they refer to - the "getting a cut for microtransactions"? Since other MMOs like Champions Online let you buy points via steam wallet with the same amount as that of purchasing outside, but I guess it's mostly internal stuff.

The posts above made me curious and since I already had the QC demo downloaded I started it up...

first thing I noticed was the lack of any advanced graphical options. I mean, c'mon, not even AA? After that I was greeted by some annoying dialogue and an ugly, ugly game. Puzzles were decent though but it's hard for me to stomach such a bland looking game. No offense to Swift or the guys at Airtight but this looks like a really bad attempt at a Portal-like game.

Trackmania 2 bombed? Do we know the numbers?

Probably wasn't a great idea to remove the game from Steam when Steam was responsible for their success in the first place.

legacyzero

Banned
Is there usually a Labor Day Sale??

Probably wasn't a great idea to remove the game from Steam when Steam was responsible for their success in the first place.
It was a fun game. But it wasn't all that, and a bag of potato chips.

Certainly could have done better with Steams help. It's not too late, ubi!

1-D_FTW

Ugh. I picked up RE 5 (at clearance at Target a LONG time ago) and am finally installing it. This thing has been installing for over 30 minutes now and I doubt the progress bar is even at 20 percent. This isn't the first time this has happened. I think they load up so much copy protection on some discs it runs at 1X speed or something ridiculous. I for one welcome retail's death. Had I known Steam was going to morph into what it did, I never would have bought some of the clearance games I did.

EDIT: I'm not even sure the stupid thing is moving. Half expect this disc is rotten.

As Crimsonhead stated, they did make that 30,000 remark a while after launch. But considering I don't think it's ever gone on sale, and it's a game that would have gotten zero buzz or friend recommendations (since everyone abandoned it for various reasons), I doubt it's sold much since then.

DTKT

It's probably that they don't need Steam for now. Secret World got on Steam because the game was bombing and they needed some way to get fresh players in.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

I should have listened.

Where did you get the game from? For 3 bucks I can't pass on it, even though it may not be that good. Call it morbid curiosity, but I really want to play it and QUBE.

Kleevah

But considering I don't think it's ever gone on sale, and it's a game that would have gotten zero buzz or friend recommendations (since everyone abandoned it for various reasons), I doubt it's sold much since then.
I always thought Nadeo planned to keep supporting the game with new expansions and stuff to keep things fresh, but it's been a year now and I really doubt I'll be back anytime soon. It saddens me a bit considering how much fun I got out of the previous games in comparison, but maybe it's just the formula getting old.

Is anybody out there still looking for Community Beta access or has it already gone open for public? Anyway I still have an invite in my inventory up for grabs.

I also have a Saints Row 3 DLC 50% off coupon that can be used until September 10th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom