• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
the hell is this

iSBQNRKT9PXmn.PNG

just recieved that

Someone hits the wrong button after they entered a code that you already redeemed. I think? Or is that a different automated message?

No, because MS presumably helped to pay for Gears development. Epic's Infinity Blade, however, is an indie game. Fortnite will be indie too.

I don't think you should stick to the literal definition though, since it's widely not regarded as such.

I wouldn't say that games like what Valve, Ubisoft or EA self-fund and put out are indie games, there is also the scope issue, even when not defined, that plays a role. And else the maybe most hyped game of all time would be an indie game called Half-Life 3.

Bricky

quote to see keys for Star Wolves, UFO Afterlight, Theatre of War 2: Africa 1943, Rig'N Roll, Space Rangers, King's Bounty: Armored Princess, Reign: Conflict of Nations and Death To Spies 1 &2, there's multiple of each

Managed to grab a few code's and especially Death to Spies seems to be something I'll enjoy, thanks!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Apparently it happens when someone tries to redeem a code *you* already redeemed. It's definitely a very confusing message.

It's also sent out when somebody uses the "Retrieve account info" function, selects "I don't know my account name", and inputs your e-mail address. Valve really ought to put together a separate auto notification for the attempted registration of a used key.

Addnan

This is the first time I pre loaded something on steam. Downloaded the 5GB+ and now it says suspended. Not sure if thats normal.

ocUoo.png

Detox

So they are going to add torrent like functionality to downloads, I guess it's good for those that get really slow speeds.

JaseC

This is the first time I pre loaded something on steam. Downloaded the 5GB+ and now it says suspended. Not sure if thats normal.

ocUoo.png

It's fine. Something is awry with Steam and pre-loading at the moment (namely the download completion percentage not moving beyond 0% regardless of how much data has been downloaded, and completed pre-loads sitting in a suspended state) , but rest assured the game will unlock on release day.

PaulLFC

Has anyone who ordered the boxed version of Sleeping Dogs from GMG had their orders dispatched yet? I haven't had a dispatch email, and it releases tomorrow :/

JordanKZ

This should be due to the new content delivery system that they implemented not so long ago.

Exactly this. The new Steam client beta sorts a lot of the new content delivery system game problems... It also stops you from using VPN activated games too! So I went back to the stable client.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I poke around Steamgifts time to time, and I've realized that I basically own everything I want. I care more about adding games I actually want to play rather than adding games in general. So now its just waiting for bigger releases to get to 5$ and cherry pick a few indie titles.

/Hands in Steam Card

Anyways, after an hour and a half of Vampire Bloodlines, I can completely see why its raved about.

Burekma

Exactly this. The new Steam client beta sorts a lot of the new content delivery system game problems... It also stops you from using VPN activated games too! So I went back to the stable client.
Really? So it prevents early VPN game unlocking? Seeing as I'm from Europe, that's fucking lame. :( But I guess it was only a matter of time...

What isn't lame, though, is this:
8/15/2012

- Reduced disc load while updating games using the new content system
Hopefully it means Dota 2 updates won't anally rape my computer anymore.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Hopefully it means Dota 2 updates won't anally rape my computer anymore.

Oh wow, I am not the only one? Totally though that was just an issue with my PC as I didnt have the same problem on my earlier PC.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
quote to see keys for Star Wolves, UFO Afterlight, Theatre of War 2: Africa 1943, Rig'N Roll, Space Rangers, King's Bounty: Armored Princess, Reign: Conflict of Nations and Death To Spies 1 &2, there's multiple of each
All gone. I fucking hate people who take the keys and don't say thanks. Would it hurt you so much to thank the guy who gave it to you for free?

I'm gonna say thanks to you for posting all of these, but next time you should ask people to pm you before sending them the key, that way you can make a wall of shame with all the non-thankers :p

HoosTrax

Just ordered a new hard drive...

22-136-792-TS

...I'm clear to start buying games again. Well, after it arrives and I finish copying 700 gigs worth of Steam folders anyways :\

NewEgg has a -$20 off promo on the 2TB Caviar Blacks in case anyone is wondering. Still pretty pricey compared to regular grade hard drives, but nice warranty and CS in any case.

All gone. I fucking hate people who take the keys and don't say thanks. Would it hurt you so much to thank the guy who gave it to you for free?

I'm gonna say thanks to you for posting all of these, but next time you should ask people to pm you before sending them the key, that way you can make a wall of shame with all the non-thankers :p

^ this ^

on a semi-related note....is there a way to redeem a steam key that doesn't involve the client? i.e. website, phone app, etc.

Just ordered a new hard drive...

22-136-792-TS

...I'm clear to start buying games again. Well, after it arrives and I finish copying 700 gigs worth of Steam folders anyways :\

you made a good choice. I have the 1TD version and its fassssst.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
^ this ^

on a semi-related note....is there a way to redeem a steam key that doesn't involve the client? i.e. website, phone app, etc.
None that I know of. Every time I wanna redeem a key outside my pc, I have to download and install the client. It's really tedious when I'm at work (like right now), 'cause I gotta uninstall it later (nobody's gonna look, but just in case :p).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I finally had some time to try out Binary Domain, and I really want to like it.. but I think I've completely grown out of being able to deal with cutscenes and scripted moments in videogames.

Tutorials are the worst. Being forced to listen to dialogue, watching scenes where you are forced to walk slowly so you wouldn't be able to run away from the jibber. Being funneled through these narrow pathways so you can be led to the next scripted event. It'd only captivate me if done extremely well or in a game focussed on story, not a shooter like this.

I hope mainstream gaming eventually moves away from this model...

Besides that, the shooting felt good and I like some of the gameplay elements and enemy designs. I'll probably keep playing as I heard it gets better later on. Reasonably good port, too!

The game has a horrible chapter 1, but once you get passed that, it's really good.

bigace33

Officially hit the 2 year mark for being a PC gamer and steam user. Great to see that glorious 2 on my steam badge. B^)

HoosTrax

Um wow...CV:LoS2 coming to PC. I don't even know what to say. I own every single 2D Metroidvania game every made, along with the two 3D PS2 ones (Lament of Innocence and Harmony of Dissonance). Don't have any of the current gen ones.

Dunno if it's going to be Steam, GFWL, or what have you.

Edit: Er make that Curse of Darkness, not HoD -- stupid nonsensical names.

Castle Crashers features:

• Integrated voice chat
  • Steam Achievements
  • Gamepad support
  • Steam Cloud Support
  • Local and Online Multiplayer
  • Colorful hand drawn 2D visuals!
  • Over 30 levels plus five arena modes
  • Unlock more than 25 characters and over 40 weapons!
  • Intuitive combo and magic system: Unlock an arsenal of new attacks as your character progresses through the game.
  • Experience system: Level up your character and adjust Strength, Magic, Defense, and Agility.
  • Animal orbs: These adorable little companions each add different abilities to aid you on your journey
  • Arena mode: Battle other players in free-for-all or team matches with four unique modes to choose from!
  • Insane Mode: Test your skills in the ultimate campaign challenge.

This is how you do a
late
port.

Amneisac

Castle Crashers features:

• Integrated voice chat
  • Steam Achievements
  • Gamepad support
  • Steam Cloud Support
  • Local and Online Multiplayer
  • Colorful hand drawn 2D visuals!
  • Over 30 levels plus five arena modes
  • Unlock more than 25 characters and over 40 weapons!
  • Intuitive combo and magic system: Unlock an arsenal of new attacks as your character progresses through the game.
  • Experience system: Level up your character and adjust Strength, Magic, Defense, and Agility.
  • Animal orbs: These adorable little companions each add different abilities to aid you on your journey
  • Arena mode: Battle other players in free-for-all or team matches with four unique modes to choose from!
  • Insane Mode: Test your skills in the ultimate campaign challenge.

This is how you do a
late
port.

Isn't that all just stuff that's already in the 360 version? I don't see where they touch on any of the important things like graphics options, etc.

Fireblend

Banned
Awww yeah, Castle Crashers seems to be right up my alley.

Anyway, finally finished Deus Ex: HR yesterday after ~32 hours, and spent some time with Darksiders (1). Can't say I'm loving it, probably because it feels like such a departure from the games I've been playing lately, but I guess I'll stick with it. At least I was able to fix the graphics with the catalyst profile thingy, such an awful port job...

Awww yeah, Castle Crashers seems to be right up my alley.

Anyway, finally finished Deus Ex: HR yesterday after ~32 hours, and spent some time with Darksiders (1). Can't say I'm loving it, probably because it feels like such a departure from the games I've been playing lately, but I guess I'll stick with it. At least I was able to fix the graphics with the catalyst profile thingy, such an awful port job...

Can you send me the profile? What issues where you experiencing, I have stuttering and really shitty shadows.

Fireblend

Banned
Can you send me the profile? What issues where you experiencing, I have stuttering and really shitty shadows.

Hmm I could, but I was just being bothered by the lack of decent AA, no stuttering at all. All I know is I just cranked everything up to high/very high and the jagged edges went away.

Anyway, now that I applied the profile I've noticed that the game stutters a bit whenever I alt-tab out and then alt-tab in again though, but that's just for a few seconds and a small price to pay in comparison with the awful aliasing that I got before.

JaseC

Just noticed they removed the Mac tab and included it under the 'Games' tab now.

nJn5r.png

In that case, platform and genre filters should be separated by a line break, and the latter should be at the top. To illustrate what I mean:

Linux/Mac OSX
---
Free-to-play
Action
etc.

Edit: Oh, there's a line break in the image. So, yeah, just inverse the current arrangement. ;)

Joe Molotov

Not Steam related, just posting for lulz.

7hplz.jpg

It's been a while since I saw a "Join a Roman Orgy!" ad, and I was wondering what was going to replace it. I can't wait to play this (my lord).

BTW, I found it by reading the Borderlands 2 manual, seeing that "How You Like Me Now?" was listed among the licensed music, and then watching the music video for it on Youtube, so it is indirectly Steam related!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom