• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarcasm

Who has bought games @ newegg? Is there a way to see steam redeemable ones or ones that can be downloaded? My mother gifted me 55 bucks to newegg. Thing is I live in Taiwan lol.

I just didn't get all the hype for it. I thought it was just not very well constructed, the twists were super obvious from 5 minutes in, and player choice was poorly implemented. Literally giving me
yes or no questions at the end to decide plot points or if my character believed things?

The art was neat, everything else was hamfisted. I replayed it 3 times doing different things and while things made more sense in the end than my original, horribly jumbled and confused ending where it literally forgot half of my choices, it still just wasn't that great.

Thanks for posting this. I will still check it out but now I'm not as eager, hehe. So how long was the initial game? Did you play Lone Survivor? That game seems like it will be overall mch cooler.

I'm also wondering if I could contact the TTM Devs and get a Steam code. That might be out of line but I do already own the game. Definitely worth the initial price and wouldn't hesitate to pick it up again if necessary. It feels like an old jRpg to me in some aspects.

'categories' on the steam client are starting to bug me. it'd be nice to put a game under multiple categories.... like, 'Summer Sale' and 'Beat'....

and why do the 'categories' not sync between computers? I have two computers each w/ the client...so i have to setup my categories on both? grr

/endrant

mrklaw

MrArseFace
ouch, lots of deals

Is Batman Arkham City worth playing if I've not played AA? Or just buy that too?

Is London 2012 any good?

is that GMG code (GMG25-1BW0K-K1A3G) just for London 2012 or is it a general discount code?

Is Batman Arkham City worth playing if I've not played AA? Or just buy that too?

You don't need to play AA to enjoy AC but I'd definitely recommend you play AA as well. Both games are great and they're fairly different to each other, AA is more Metroidvania while AC is more of an open world game

Tomodachi

You don't need to play AA to enjoy AC but I'd definitely recommend you play AA as well. Both games are great and they're fairly different to each other, AA is more Metroidvania while AC is more of an open world game
Listen to this man and start with Asylum. I'd go as far as saying that AA is better than AC.

EDIT: but wait for a discount if you're not in a rush, AA is been so much cheaper. Start with AC otherwise.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
AA is so much better its not even funny.

I agree.

Arkham Asylum has a really wonderful progression ramp from the beginning to the end; Arkham City feels like there's not much development during the run of the game.

Arkham Asylum is a fairly "small" game, but it makes up for it with a beautiful density of content. Arkham City is much larger, but also feels sort of like an empty playground.

That's not to say that AA doesn't have problems (weak bosses; stupid nonsense plot; challenge rooms are a tedious exercise in min/maxing rather than requiring emergent strategy), but it's the stronger game than AC.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
yes. The disc copy is annoying because it needs you to have the disc in at all times, and who has the patience to do that these days.

Yes, I think I'm becoming allergic to discs on PC. Seems silly to spend more money just for having it on steam, but then I did that for Crysis as well.

Wok

DJ8AQ.png

Gateways will be released on Steam on September, 13th 2012. It will cost $5. From now on, this is the current price of the game on the Humble Store, instead of something like $10 previously.

Steam keys will be available with any purchases made via the Humble Store widget on the Smudged Cat homepage so anyone that previously bought the game can get a Steam key.

The Steam version of Gateways will come with 15 achievements. It uses the same save file as the DRM-free version of the game so if you have a previous save game with the DRM-free version and launch it in Steam you will instantly be rewarded with the appropriate Steam achievements. If you don't want this and would rather play through the game again to get the achievements then you can delete the save file before launching the game.

And Shuggy would get additional levels.

Bentendo

Man, is it just me or has Steam been on a roll lately? Look at the recent releases: glorious, glorious indie games up the wazoo. Finally able to get To the Moon, which I was looking forward to for quite some time on Steam. The soundtrack seemed nice so I got the bundle.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah I prefer AA more than AC. AC has too much pointless stuff in it.

With that said, I really wouldn't consider AA metroidvania in a sense that it has no sequence break :p

Miker

Who has bought games @ newegg? Is there a way to see steam redeemable ones or ones that can be downloaded? My mother gifted me 55 bucks to newegg. Thing is I live in Taiwan lol.

I don't know about Taiwan, but in the States, Newegg doesn't have any sort of downloadable games service. They only sell boxed copies, but obviously if you buy a Steamworks game from them, you can (have to) register that on Steam.

deejay

thank you, I guess I know what I'm playing tonight :)

also giving away a copy of Breath of Death VII

quote with SteamID (or PM if you don't want it out there)

deejay has first right of refusal of course :D

Thanks, but I already own it :)
I'm sure someone else will be glad to take it off your hands though ;)

The sheer variety of the puzzles in Shuggy is rather surprising for an indie game that completely went under the radar. I'm playing on my keyboard since I'm too lazy too look for my pad but I can imagine it controlling even better with the latter.

I'm having troubles with the full screen option though. Shows up as 1280x800 on my 1080p monitor for some reason and since there's no resolution option it chops off like 20% of the screen on the right side :/

Edit: apparently the dev is working on this. guess I gotta play it windowed until then. no biggie.

Derrick01

Banned
ouch, lots of deals

Get both and start with AA because AC is better. The first is good but it's hard to go back to with all of the combat upgrades from Batman in AC and playing as Catwoman is fun as hell.

I will agree that the open world in AC is poorly done and basically serves as a place to hide over 400 Riddler secrets, very few that are actually tough to figure out. The side quests are poorly done, there's only 9 I believe and a few of them are just training exercises and gadget collection but the main story is better and the boss fights are vastly improved. And even though the open world isn't filled with content it is fun to fly around as Batman and pick people off. It gives the feeling of being him and being a predator more than AA did.

Blizzard

Banned
Considering that they did complementary upgrades since the original Railworks, not terribly surprising.
Yup, they've been doing free upgrades with each new version. That's the main reason I bought the original Railworks (or the second in line?), since I liked that gesture.

Let's have some quick fun shall we? First to quote gets a key for LIMBO, Amnesia, Sword & Sworcery, and Psychonauts.

Preferably you don't have any of these games already.

Tomodachi

Let's have some quick fun shall we? First to quote gets a key for LIMBO, Amnesia, Sword & Sworcery, and Psychonauts.

Preferably you don't have any of these games already.
Already got them but you're a good guy. Four amazing games, the one who gets them is a lucky fellow :)

1-D_FTW

Yep, no sign of it.

That's a shocker.

I could just post a 1000 word rage on all the shit I had to go through to just get From Dust to play. I've spent the last hour on this.

Well, that's a lie. It launched fine (in Uplay). But since it told me it tied the serial to this account and I had no idea what the account was or what the passwords were, I spent the next hour trying to figure out what account and password it really was. Wasn't till my third uplay account that I figured it out.

Sure, it's all my fault. And I've written it all down now, but god damn. I don't run Uplay in the background. If I click on Steam and you tie it to my account, at least let me know the log in details. I need more account options than "Change avatar" in the client.

I agree.

Arkham Asylum has a really wonderful progression ramp from the beginning to the end; Arkham City feels like there's not much development during the run of the game.

Arkham Asylum is a fairly "small" game, but it makes up for it with a beautiful density of content. Arkham City is much larger, but also feels sort of like an empty playground.

That's not to say that AA doesn't have problems (weak bosses; stupid nonsense plot; challenge rooms are a tedious exercise in min/maxing rather than requiring emergent strategy), but it's the stronger game than AC.

I beat Arkham City in about five hours, but the story just felt empty. It was just a series of random events starring random Bat Villains.

Relax.MX

What happen with Steam? :) i can't start my download of Batman AC (its 7.6 GB), i click here:

And nothing :(

I restart Steam 2 times one with "run as administrator", i restart my PC, a lot of things and nothing :( and my conexion is shit (120kb/s...so is not easy download 16 gb with my job)

Any solution?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Thanks for posting this. I will still check it out but now I'm not as eager, hehe. So how long was the initial game? Did you play Lone Survivor? That game seems like it will be overall mch cooler.

I'm also wondering if I could contact the TTM Devs and get a Steam code. That might be out of line but I do already own the game. Definitely worth the initial price and wouldn't hesitate to pick it up again if necessary. It feels like an old jRpg to me in some aspects.

Home's about an hour long, maybe an hour and a half if you take your time and do a full exploration. I did play Lone Survivor, got about halfway through before other games called my attention away. Liked it, a little more traditional in the horror department but it seemed like there was more potential there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom