• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
I haven't played Witcher 2 but I have played Skyrim.

Play Witcher 2.
To help him decide, may I ask which aspects of Skyrim you disliked enough to choose an unknown quantity over it? Disclaimer, I've played both Skyrim and Witcher 2, but less than 5-10 hours of each if I recall correctly...-maybe- more in Skyrim.

Derrick01

Banned
Yeah play Witcher 2. Do not punish yourself with an ultra casual RPG who's only focus is exploration and yet butchers it with loot scaling.

Chavelo

Ultra.... casual? :lol

How about he gets both? It's Steam, anyway. Can prolly get both of them on a sale for 40 bucks total. :/

vidcons

Banned
To help him decide, may I ask which aspects of Skyrim you disliked enough to choose an unknown quantity over it? Disclaimer, I've played both Skyrim and Witcher 2, but less than 5-10 hours of each if I recall correctly...-maybe- more in Skyrim.

Skyrim looks really good, but everything you do is empty and consequences and choice are just an illusion. The writing also blows. Combat is really only fun for the first 9 levels. Loot scaling :(

Blizzard

Banned
Ultra.... casual? :lol

How about he gets both? It's Steam, anyway. Can prolly get both of them on a sale for 40 bucks total. :/
The impression I got was that the poster already owned both and was trying to decide which one to start playing, that would hook them off the bat.

The start of the Witcher 2 might be frustrating if you're bad at games like me and dive straight into the bridge scene. Later on the writing and story should presumably be better and enough to hook you.

I think Skyrim was more of a game that hooked me at the start (by surprise since I basically had no interest in it before it came out), since I really liked the atmosphere and exploration stuff. The writing didn't bother me, and in fact there was so much stuff in books that I finally stopped trying to read it all since it would have taken too long.

So that's kind of why I say it can depend on the person's preference. If they really like one style versus the other they might enjoy one game more than the other, or even enjoy both. Skyrim presumably has more grinding later on if you try to do everything, so for all I know, Witcher 2 may be more fun for someone 30 hours in, while Skyrim may be more fun in the earlier hours.

As far as I know the Witcher 2 is also shorter, if you are wanting to beat a game without it taking too long.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Are you more interested in open-world dungeon exploration or a plot-driven more-linear RPG?

Which appeals to you more, a nordic snowy mountain isolated style, or a gritty medieval down to earth style?

Some people are probably going to have strong opinions one way or the other (I'd expect strongly worded opinions saying the Witcher 2, and condemnding Skyrim :p), but I would suggest it depends on your personal preferences. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall the Witcher 2 having a lot more melee combat, while Skyrim has archery and magic as options.

Hmmm... I'm fine with both settings and game styles really, the key thing is that the game would get going early on, pulling me in quickly.

I have got both games, bought them in the sale.

EDIT: thanks Blizzard, based on your last post, Skyrim seems to address this better

Burekma

Skyrim is definitely the easier game to just pickup and play.

I needed at least 5 or so hours before witcher 2 became fun for me, a lot of frustration during the early part due to a higher that normal difficulty curve. But once you get the hang of combat and controls, the game is quite enjoyable.

I've played both on the 360.

Skyrim is probably my favorite game of this generation. Yes, it's lacking in challenge, but I love that I can roam around and do all kinds of different shit.

I've managed to play about 4 hours of The Witcher 2 and it just hasn't grabbed me. I'm considering trading it in when Halo 4 comes out.

Blizzard

Banned
Hmmm... I'm fine with both settings and game styles really, the key thing is that the game would get going early on, pulling me in quickly.

I have got both games, bought them in the sale.

EDIT: thanks Blizzard, based on your last post, Skyrim seems to address this better
Let us know what you think. I'd say if you play 4-5 hours and don't find yourself enjoying it, by all means try the other. I'm glad to see a few other people also said they found Witcher 2 took a bit to get going. I'm not saying Witcher 2 is bad, or Skyrim is the best, just commenting on the start of the game. :)

Bricky

Bought and finished 'To the Moon' today. Just wanted to say it's an amazing interactive story ('game' is not really the term people should use with this kind of games) and all of you need to buy it.

Or at least buy it the next time Steam has a big sale. :p

NZNova

Bought and finished 'To the Moon' today. Just wanted to say it's an amazing interactive story ('game' is not really the term people should use with this kind of games) and all of you need to buy it.

Or at least buy it the next time Steam has a big sale. :p

It's a little rough around the edges but yeah it has a nice story.

Tomodachi

Decision time. Should I start Witcher 2 or Skyrim? After a boring grind through AC:R I need a game that is rewarding enough early on to hook me.
Based on you specific request I'd say Skyrim without thinking twice, it's surely more likely to hook people up on its first hour than Witcher 2.
I have to clarify anyway that both games are in my humble opinion vastly overrated, each one of them for different reasons. In any case I gather you already own them both so no point in explaining what I thought about them, you'll play them both anyway sooner or later.
It's just that Skyrim is more likely to hook you, yeah.

Sanic

Has anyone already mentioned big picture mode coming tomorrow (monday.)
I wont link to article. (Its IGN.)

Didn't know this, great news. Now it's just a matter of seeing how "public" this will be. I hope my early pillar of community badge comes in handy again.

Miker

I just noticed that on the store page for Steam, you can now view the top 100 selling games. I remember it used to be just the top 20. Is this an actual change, or do I have a terrible memory?

camerooni

Neo Member
I'm kinda pissed at the way Steam manages OSTs. They should give the option to disable DLC :/

This -> break it out into the media section or something Valve. Put in playback controls in the overlay while you're at it.. nothing better than playing a game with a totally different games soundtrack over the top o_0

Miker

I only played (most of) the first game but I would agree with this. But I played exclusively solo; maybe co-op changes everything?

I'd say that it does, because there's no switching between characters, and it turns out that getting all three characters to one location is more trouble than you'd imagine having just played solo.

raven777

question about steam. I am new to steam.

I want to download games on my laptop and move those to my desktop since at my dorm I have limited internet access. Is it possible to download games on my laptop and copy&paste the entire folder where I downloaded those game to my desktop and run those games?

Sarcasm

I want to download games on my laptop and move those to my desktop since at my dorm I have limited internet access. Is it possible to download games on my laptop and copy&paste the entire folder where I downloaded those game to my desktop and run those games?

Kinda. There is also backup and restore. TO access that on main window top left click on Steam to bring down the menu choices.

you just need to copy the entire steamapps folder inside steam and then verify the games cache, that should work

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

Yes, just copy the games in the steamapps folder within Steam over.

Edit: beaten.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So this happened yesterday:

untitled-2w7as0.jpg

Obviously, I absolutely loved playing through the game. The story is your typical undercover cop affair that wouldn't appear out of place in a Dan Houser-penned game, but I found that the unfamiliar (and superbly realised) setting of Hong Kong and in particular the focus on Triad culture put an interesting and enjoyable spin on a common premise. The gameplay hit all the right notes with me, too, with the melee combat being quite fun and the TPS mechanics being surprisingly competent, while the decidedly arcadey feel of the vehicles coupled with the relatively small game world made driving a pleasure rather than a chore even as the hours ticked by. I'd mention the graphics, but you've all seen the high-res screenshots and gifs. ;)

The game isn't perfect -- for instance, there are a lot of little bugs that crop up (a fine example being a certain corner in the game that you can't turn into when you're in a taxi and have used the handbrake because the car will always bounce off into the ether) -- but nothing comes to mind as particularly bad, either; the core of the game really is great.

Looking forward, I hope Squeenix has plans for some significant content-expanding DLC comparable (in size/scope) to the likes of GTAIV's Lost and Damned and Gay Tony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom