• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Turned on my PS3 for the first time in about 2 months. I think it's safe to say that I can never go back. It just seems so sterile compared to Steam.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Unless the game has the new content system that I hate. >_<

It'll also work with games using the new CDS. Steam checks for existing data when initialising the installation of a game, so as long as you don't begin the download/s prior to copying over the steamapps folder, Steam will "discover" the existing data and realise it doesn't need to download anything (or will only download the files that have been updated). Here's an example using a fresh installation of Steam and the Dota 2 beta (I don't know why the other games showed up to the party):

1jfsz4.jpg

251sej.jpg

3cpspj.jpg

4wqsu1.jpg

This is not awkward.

So... do you like... stuff?

JaseC

Was it you or Salsa that liked that fantastic game called RAGE?

Definitely me. I'm not sure where Salsa's allegiance lies.

Edit:
So this happened yesterday:

untitled-2w7as0.jpg

Obviously, I absolutely loved playing through the game. The story is your typical undercover cop affair that wouldn't appear out of place in a Dan Houser-penned game, but I found that the unfamiliar (and superbly realised) setting of Hong Kong and in particular the focus on Triad culture put an interesting and enjoyable spin on a common premise. The gameplay hit all the right notes with me, too, with the melee combat being quite fun and the TPS mechanics being surprisingly competent, while the decidedly arcadey feel of the vehicles coupled with the relatively small game world made driving a pleasure rather than a chorem even as the hours ticked by. I'd mention the graphics, but you've all seen the high-res screenshots and gifs. ;)

The game isn't perfect -- for instance, there are a lot of little bugs that crop up (a fine example being a certain corner in the game that you can't turn into when you've used the handbrake in a taxi because the car will always bounce off into the ether) -- but nothing comes to mind as particularly bad, either; the core of the game really is great.

Looking forward, I hope Squeenix has plans for some significant content-expanding DLC comparable (in size/scope) to the likes of GTAIV's Lost and Damned and Gay Tony.

I made a video. It's a few days old, but I only recently managed to get it down to a file size that wouldn't take me forever to upload.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Apparently the Big Screen Mode beta starts today. Anyone been invited.

JustinBB7

The only thing that worries me about the BPM beta is that there is still a Steam client beta going on, and since you can't join 2 at once I have feeling it will be random invite only or something :(

Wok

One of my favourite Steam features used to be the ability to save in the cloud. Now that my save of Tiny and Big mysteriously disappeared from the cloud, I am reconsidering my list of favourite features. More info if I can get my hands back on the other computer on which I previously played... and manage to find my save although the game was uninstalled.

The save in the cloud is only 1.58 KB, and I lost my progress in the game, the high scores, the number of boring stones and music tapes, etc. but I kept the achievements, as if the cloud save only contained the achievements, and the progress were saved locally.

playing rage and I'm having huge framerate drops whenever I enter a new open area (or going back to one) for like 30 seconds... is this normal or is this hdd related ?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Even as an open world Skyrim sucks. Just go play Guild Wars 2.

In fact everyone should just play Guild Wars 2.

@_@

Dingotech

The save in the cloud is only 1.58 KB, and I lost my progress in the game, the high scores, the number of boring stones and music tapes, etc. but I kept the achievements, as if the cloud save only contained the achievements, and the progress were saved locally.

Achievements are tied to your account not your save games.

So the fact you kept your achievements doesn't really mean anything.

Minsc

Gold Member
Defender's Quest went gold the other day (doubling the 15 hour game to a 30 hour one by introducing a "dark world" style new game+ mode with all new enemies), for the few people who may have played it a while ago when it released, but the good news for everyone else is the Gold edition will be making it's way on Steam soon.

It's up there with PvZ for Tower Defense games, well at least for me! Given the RPG spin, and very advanced strategies you can employ with the mix of abilities and units, the way you can customize their AI to prioritize different things and the various types of gameplay modes, but it still has an elegant simplicity to everything. Definitely worth getting or at least trying for free if you've enjoyed anything in the genre before.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Is there a link describing how to set up Symbolic Links for Source Games? I am getting a SSD soon, and want to have Dota 2 on it.

Ledsen

playing rage and I'm having huge framerate drops whenever I enter a new open area (or going back to one) for like 30 seconds... is this normal or is this hdd related ?

I had this too, but only when I first loaded up the game. I have an SSD so that can't be it.

kirby: just use Steam Mover.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Man, I regret looking at the Steam main page. I noticed the Trine 2 DLC trailer at the bottom (which I was going to wait on purchase) and I said what the hell, let's watch it before I head off to class. I couldn't have clicked purchase any faster after the trailer ended. So much for backlog progress this week between this DLC and I Am Alive.

JaseC

kirby: just use Steam Mover.
In the OP:
"I am running out of space on my hard-drive, can I move my games onto another hard-drive?
Use SteamTool Library Manager or Steam Mover."

http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

Steam Mover and SteamTool are of no use as they've been designed to work with folders and not individual files, which is a problem when it comes to Source games because GCFs reside in the root of the steamapps folder. However, it is possible to symbolically link individual files and therefore Source games:

1) Download and install Hard Link Shell Extension
2) Close Steam, move the Source GCFs and any GCFs pertaining to your desired Source games to your destination folder of choice, select all, right-click and select "Pick Link Source"
3) Browse to the Steam\steamapps folder, right-click and select "Drop Link Source"
4) Move your desired Source game folders to your destination folder of choice, select all, right-click and select "Pick Link Source"
5) Browse to the Steam\steamapps\common folder (or Steam\steamapps\[account name] for older Source titles), right-click and select "Drop Link Source"
6) Open Steam and play

(Note: When selecting just one file or folder, "Drop Link Source" will be replaced with a "Drop As..." menu, from which you must select "Symbolic Link".)

I just tested this myself with Dota 2 and the game worked just fine.

with the eminent release of BPM, i must ask.....

has anyone successfully used MotionJoy to pair a PS3 controller? I got it all set up and looks to be configured through the MotionJoy interface (vibration feedback tests successful), but i can't get it to work in a game.

Tried w/ JC2, but i see no options to change the input to the controller or whatnot. I think i'm missing a step, anyone care to lend a hand?? :D

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Steam Mover and SteamTool are of no use as they've been designed to work with folders and not individual files, which is a problem when it comes to Source games because GCFs reside in the root of the steamapps folder. However, it is possible to symbolically link individual files and therefore Source games:

1) Download and install Hard Link Shell Extension
2) Close Steam, move the Source GCFs and any GCFs pertaining to your desired Source games to your destination folder of choice, select all, right-click and select "Pick Link Source"
3) Browse to the Steam\steamapps folder, right-click and select "Drop Link Source"
4) Move your desired Source game folders to your destination folder of choice, select all, right-click and select "Pick Link Source"
5) Browse to the Steam\steamapps\common folder (or Steam\steamapps\[account name] for older Source titles), right-click and select "Drop Link Source"
6) Open Steam and play

(Note: When selecting just one file or folder, "Drop Link Source" will be replaced with a "Drop As..." menu, from which you must select "Symbolic Link".)

I just tested this myself with Dota 2 and the game worked just fine.

Do you know which files Dota 2 uses? Just moving everything that is from source and source 2007, along with the Dota 2 folder.

JaseC

Nice, thanks mate!

No worries. :)

OT: Why you changed your avatar? Previous one was perfect :)

I was asked much the same question back in July (about the same avatar, too!):

I have to change it whenever a new photo is released. Them's the rules!

(Well, I make an exception if a photo doesn't fit well within 100x120.)

Edit: The Byzantium premiere TIFF means I am drowning in avatar material.

Do you know which files Dota 2 uses? Just moving everything that is from source and source 2007, along with the Dota 2 folder.

Nope, I just moved all the shared Source GCFs, to be on the safe side. You could experiment a bit, but unless you're really hurting for space, I don't think the hassle would be worth the space you'd possibly save.

JaseC

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we'll get a Halloween Sale, a sale around Thanksgiving and a massive Holiday Sale, right?

My wallet is not ready

Assuming last year repeats itself, yes.

Edit: The Halloween Sale will likely be rather small as not many games fit the theme, but the Autumn Sale should be comparable to the Summer and Winter/Christmas Sales, just over a shorter period (a few days rather than ~a couple of weeks).

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

has anyone successfully used MotionJoy to pair a PS3 controller? I got it all set up and looks to be configured through the MotionJoy interface (vibration feedback tests successful), but i can't get it to work in a game.

Tried w/ JC2, but i see no options to change the input to the controller or whatnot. I think i'm missing a step, anyone care to lend a hand?? :D

You usually have to set it to emulate a 360 controller (assuming the game supports 360 controller only).

Sarcasm

Also if 64 bit(especially w7) you need to boot into not certified drivers allowed (something like that). Try by hitting esc as you boot. If doesn't work just pick up a wired Xbox controller.

Blizzard

Banned
Also if 64 bit(especially w7) you need to boot into not certified drivers allowed (something like that). Try by hitting esc as you boot. If doesn't work just pick up a wired Xbox controller.
Pressing F8 just after the BIOS stuff prints out, before Windows starts to boot, should give you a menu where you can choose to allow unsigned drivers. I think you have to do it every boot unless you use hacky workarounds or have windows 7 pro etc. though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom