• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enco

Wish I could realistically connect my PC to my TV but that's never going to happen.

Dat tower size mang.

Would be cool for laptops though. Shame I have a MacBook Air.

Derrick01

Banned
So was there ever any explanation why the GMG code doesn't work on Xcom, despite them saying that voucher works on ANY digital game?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Aw yeah, they're using the Logitech Wireless Controller I use in their promo picture.

QeV8u.png

You usually have to set it to emulate a 360 controller (assuming the game supports 360 controller only).

Also if 64 bit(especially w7) you need to boot into not certified drivers allowed (something like that). Try by hitting esc as you boot. If doesn't work just pick up a wired Xbox controller.

Pressing F8 just after the BIOS stuff prints out, before Windows starts to boot, should give you a menu where you can choose to allow unsigned drivers. I think you have to do it every boot unless you use hacky workarounds or have windows 7 pro etc. though.

thanks guys...i'll try when i get home. Drivers seem to be installing fine though and the system recognizes the controller, just can't get it to work with games. I had it set to emulate DS3 controller. will update later.

Thanks!

also, dat trailer...

Firebrand

So was there ever any explanation why the GMG code doesn't work on Xcom, despite them saying that voucher works on ANY digital game?
I haven't heard anything, even though they just extended the duration of the voucher by a week. According to a post in their forums there's a trade-in-offer where you get $7 or so towards XCOM if you trade in one of the free games they gave away (Greed?). I'm not seeing it myself so can't say for sure.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent keyboard in the range up to 30 €/$? Or do I have to spend more? I don't need fancy buttons and functions, just decent keys. My current one feels like typing on a sponge.

Don't recommend mechanical, I'd love one but it's out of my price range at the moment.

Derrick01

Banned
I haven't heard anything, even though they just extended the duration of the voucher by a week. According to a post in their forums there's a trade-in-offer where you get $7 or so towards XCOM if you trade in one of the free games they gave away (Greed?). I'm not seeing it myself so can't say for sure.

That's pretty disappointing that they would offer something like that but hide away that it doesn't work on the 1 freakin game I want to preorder that I haven't already. It could be a mistake I guess but it seems weird that they wouldn't even talk about it if it was. It smells like publisher pressure IMO. They probably saw the gross deals people were getting on BL2 and put the hammer down.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
anyone know how the older two games work on Windows 7? I remember really enjoying them when I played them, they probably aged really poorly though because the game mechanics were very awkward

I know I got #1 to work on Windows 7, but the fog in the game was pretty bad.

haikira

Played and completed Blood Money already. Though apart from that, I've only played a little bit of 2 back in the day. If i could only grab one. Should it be Hitman: Codename 47 or Hitman 2?

anyone know how the older two games work on Windows 7? I remember really enjoying them when I played them, they probably aged really poorly though because the game mechanics were very awkward

I got both games running on W7, but the second one only as far as fiddling around with it for a few moments, as a test. Couldn't say anything further than that. First one yeah I played it up to halfway point maybe.

I have Blood Money on my Library and played it once. It runs properly but the gameplay wasn't for me so I left during first chapter.

Playing it seemed similar to play this game except with better graphics.

SparkTR

Played and completed Blood Money already. Though apart from that, I've only played a little bit of 2 back in the day. If i could only grab one. Should it be Hitman: Codename 47 or Hitman 2?

Codename 47 is frustrating as hell due to no mid mission saves, it also has annoying LOD issues. Get Silent Assassin, ten times better.

That's pretty disappointing that they would offer something like that but hide away that it doesn't work on the 1 freakin game I want to preorder that I haven't already. It could be a mistake I guess but it seems weird that they wouldn't even talk about it if it was. It smells like publisher pressure IMO. They probably saw the gross deals people were getting on BL2 and put the hammer down.

Works here on the UK store, £22.50 which is around 36$ . Is it possible they're disabling the voucher in the US while that trade in Greed for $7 off offer is in place?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Assuming last year repeats itself, yes.

Edit: The Halloween Sale will likely be rather small as not many games fit the theme, but the Autumn Sale should be comparable to the Summer and Winter/Christmas Sales, just over a shorter period (a few days rather than ~a couple of weeks).
And when would the Autumn sale be? We don't celebrate thanksgiving here, so I have no idea what day is it.

Hitman Collection is daily
How much? I bought it last night from Amazon at $7.5, so I'm curious about how much I could've saved if I'd waited one more day :/

dani_dc

Did anyone else catch the 50 million figure in BPM video?

I believe this is the most recent figure of the Steam userbase since the 40 million mention in June, a significant increase in just a few months.

Tomodachi

I'm probably the only one who doesn't care about Big Picture Mode as I've already had my PC hooked to my television to play games.
I've had it for one year or so (42" plasma) but I'm really curious to try it, and I hope they'll implement a way to take steam screenshots with the pad.

Do you use a controller? I've been using TV for as while but the current (soon to be old) interface is a pain to navigate on a TV.

No, I bought a cheap wireless mouse and keyboard for when I do it. I like to do other things on my TV while the PC is hooked up. Some games I play I use the wireless 360 controller and for others I'll just use the wireless mouse/keyboard with them. Depends on what it is, really.

Miker

Going to quote myself from the BPM thread:

I really wouldn't mind Valve overhauling the look of the Steam client to match Big Picture mode. The 2010 overhaul remains pretty goddamn ugly, with unsightly gradients all over the place. Big Picture Mode looks like it was actually designed by someone who knows what an aesthetically pleasing UI looks like.

I realize there are skins, but I'm not a fan of having to find (or wait for) the latest version if Valve updates Steam. There are also only a few that I can tolerate, and a lot of them are too dark for my tastes.

I'd love for the Steam client to adopt a flat and modern-looking skin that takes after BPM's stylings.

Ionic

Has that kind of typing wheel been used for anything else? It looks like the easiest way to type with a controller I've seen.

MRORANGE

Steam should add a "IOU" feature, basically you could buy a game on Steam when you are strapped for cash (lets say less than $10) you pay back Steam within the time period, failure to pay will not increase the debt but instead remove random games from you're account, one game per day that you have not paid the debt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom