• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
So in the end, all the people saying that once you played Blood Money you can't go to the prequels were right. It's been a couple of years, I though maybe I had forgotten how that game felt, and could appreciate the older titles, but now I seriously doubt it. The stupid tutorial doesn't even tell you the rules of the game, how do the stealth mechanics work, nothing useful except "pick up this gun and fire".

Whatever, I'll try a couple more times, maybe read a guide and if I can't beat it still, skip the game completely.

Derrick01

Banned
Well...

To be honest though, I don't mind them taking their time with RAGE 2. I had my fill for some time and I'm actually up for Doom 4.

That said, I 100% agree on the bolded.

There's just so much wasted potential with Rage which was already a pretty good game. Most of the RPG stuff is just so tossed in there it makes Darksiders 2 look like an Obsidian game, but if it was actually fleshed out it would be really damn good. Like I said the open world needs a lot of work too. It may actually be more useless than Arkham City's.

vidcons

Banned
So in the end, all the people saying that once you played Blood Money you can't go to the prequels were right. It's been a couple of years, I though maybe I had forgotten how that game felt, and could appreciate the older titles, but now I seriously doubt it. The stupid tutorial doesn't even tell you the rules of the game, how do the stealth mechanics work, nothing useful except "pick up this gun and fire".

Whatever, I'll try a couple more times, maybe read a guide and if I can't beat it still, skip the game completely.

Wear clothes, match guns with clothes, use the sneak button instead of crouch. Crouching is not sneaking in Hitman 2.

Yeah, it's stupid.

Then you kill The Don and it's awesome.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
And when would the Autumn sale be? We don't celebrate thanksgiving here, so I have no idea what day is it.

Late November, so about a month after the Halloween Sale, and about a month before the Winter/Christmas Sale.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Wear clothes, match guns with clothes, use the sneak button instead of crouch. Crouching is not sneaking in Hitman 2.

Yeah, it's stupid.

Then you kill The Don and it's awesome.
Actually, the problem I found is that in the first mission
I have to kill some dude, but when I blow his head off with a sniper rifle, the guards around him hear the shot and start looking for me. I don't know if there's another way of doing it, as the gameplay and level design seems WAY less interactive than Blood Money.

vidcons

Banned
Actually, the problem I found is that in the first mission
I have to kill some dude, but when I blow his head off with a sniper rifle, the guards around him hear the shot and start looking for me. I don't know if there's another way of doing it, as the gameplay and level design seems WAY less interactive than Blood Money.

Wait for the post man to show up. Take him out and wear his clothes. I think he has a box you can stash some weapons in but it's fine to just drop your guns. Now figure out a way to get a set of clothes that will allow you free roam of the building. Devise a way to kill the Don discreetly.

Hitman 2 is less straightforward with what you can do, but it's just as open and free for you mess around in. Blood Money just has some more scripted elements that you are guided to a little more.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Two things:

1.) I Am Alive was an awesome 4.5 hour experience for me. The mood in the game felt just right. I loved how fucked up some of the things you encountered were. The world was cleverly designed and the platforming led to some rather gratifying vistas.

2.) Trine 2 DLC looks fucking incredible. I thought the main game looked amazing, but this takes it a clear step further while still running great. First level took me 30 minutes or so and with 6 total this could be a rather lovely sized DLC.

Ocho

So I finally uploaded a video and shared it on Steam, yet my community badge won't unlock (I still miss the 'upload a video' checkmark). Anyone know what's up?

Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections Tab > LAN Settings > Uncheck Automatically Detect Settings

Saw this earlier on Reddit. Might help pep up your Steam browsing experience.

Control Panel > Internet Options > Connections Tab > LAN Settings > Uncheck Automatically Detect Settings

Saw this earlier on Reddit. Might help pep up your Steam browsing experience.

I did that and it actually makes everything (Steam AND Chrome) feel faster. I don't know if it's just Placebo, but I like it.

Intentional or not, the funniest comment regarding Rage i've ever read.

:(

There's just so much wasted potential with Rage which was already a pretty good game. Most of the RPG stuff is just so tossed in there it makes Darksiders 2 look like an Obsidian game, but if it was actually fleshed out it would be really damn good. Like I said the open world needs a lot of work too. It may actually be more useless than Arkham City's.

I'm not sure I want it to add too nuch RPG stuff. Sure, more upgrades, choices, cities, NPCs you can interact with, quests... I think Guild Wars 2s dynamic quest system would work incredibly well for RAGE. I don't want the RPG stuff to get in the way of the stellar combat.

Then again, New Vegas with RAGE combat would be rather awesome *drools*

Tomodachi

BPM is incredible. They even managed to use the home button on the 360 pad, something I've been trying to use for months without success with different programs. Now I can take screenshots without the keyboard.
The UI is so beautiful, much better than the usual Steam UI, I really hope they'll change the latter with something inspired by BPM for the main program too.
The text input method is genius, I'm already pretty fast with it.

Gabe be praised!

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
BPM is incredible. They even managed to use the home button on the 360 pad, something I've been trying to use for months without success with different programs. Now I can take screenshots without the keyboard.
The UI is so beautiful, much better than the usual Steam UI, I really hope they'll change the latter with something inspired by BPM for the main program too.
The text input method is genius, I'm already pretty fast with it.

Gabe be praised!

What is the screenshot button? Judging by how you worded it, it is the home button? I agree with the text input as well. I saw it and thought, "...why hasn't anyone thought of this until now?"

masterkajo

Just tried BPM for the first time... This seals the deal for me. Next gen I will go PC only. Who needs a console anymore when you get the superior version on PC with a console like experience (BPM & Controller & optional couch - if you want) for cheaper?

KlotePino

Just tried BPM for the first time... This seals the deal for me. Next gen I will go PC only. Who needs a console anymore when you get the superior version on PC with a console like experience (BPM & Controller & optional couch - if you want) for cheaper?

I love LOVE pc gaming but I probably couldn't deal with going PC only. Too many exclusives on the sony and microsoft side that are worth playing. Also PC probably has the biggest lead over consoles they've ever had right now because this generation is taking so hella long. Once the PS4 and xbox 720 come out the gap should close or the consoles might even overtake the PC's for a little while. Unless of course developers think it's feasible to create AAA titles exclusively for the PC so they can take full advantage and be fully optimized for PC.

Recall

When launching big picture mode I get a message telling me I'm running in compatability mode and Steam may not work correctly, which is odd as I am not in any compatability mode.

Playing about with big picture mode with a controller, apart from this message all seems to work really well. I think the UI is real good.

masterkajo

When launching big picture mode I get a message telling me I'm running in compatability mode and Steam may not work correctly, which is odd as I am not in any compatability mode.

Playing about with big picture mode with a controller, apart from this message all seems to work really well. I think the UI is real good.

Got the same message. Do you run Steam "As Administrator"? This seems to be what causes this message to appear for me. (It seems "run as admin" is in the compatibility tab... so there you go).

Recall

Got the same message. Do you run Steam "As Administrator"? This seems to be what causes this message to appear for me. (It seems "run as admin" is in the compatibility tab... so there you go).

I do not run Stream as an administrator and I get the message. I've switched over to always run as administrator and still got the message :( I'll tinker about with it later, can't imagine it's anything too serious :)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Quantum Conundrum: Season Pass all the way down to $3.75 (from $20) on GMG
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/puzzle/quantum-conundrum-season-pass/
with GMG25-1BW0K-K1A3G
Since people will start asking for opinions on the game, here is mine:
So I finished Quantum Conundrum. My friend warned me against buying it back when he played it, but at 3$ I dove right in.

I should have listened.

In a sentence: It feels like a game made by someone who learned nothing during their time at Valve.

There are just so many things wrong with the game. The dialogue is really dreadful and the delivery is just as bad. There is no real intriguing story/mystery that makes finishing these puzzles/work compelling (why on Earth would I want to help this irritating uncle?). The music has no personality to it and they really missed a huge opportunity to have it shift to different distinct themes to match with each dimension. The art style has this really bland Pixar leftovers look to it. If these things had been better executed, I could have looked past some of the more fundamental issues.

What took the cake for me was the puzzle design. There are 4 pretty decent ideas for dimensions, but there are maybe only 3 or so puzzles that actually use the dimensions in an interesting manner. For the majority the designers were content to have you repeat the same basic solution over and over again. I never once felt particularly satisfied upon completion of a room since I rarely had to put much thought into them. The only real barriers are some awful first person platforming and occasionally finicky timing. They end up feeling like work rather than mental exercise. I start to lose interest in puzzles when I feel as though I could have designed them myself with relative ease.

I can look past the lack of character in games like Puzzle Dimension because the puzzle design demands a significant amount of analysis and spatial reasoning. I can look past the relatively easy puzzles in Portal's singleplayer because there is a lot of effort put into keeping things fresh and exciting (story-wise) (and Portal 2 co-op had some legitimately amazing puzzle design).

I wouldn't even recommend the game at 3$. I'm just grateful I don't have the DLC stuck on my list to complete too.

eyeless

Once the PS4 and xbox 720 come out the gap should close or the consoles might even overtake the PC's for a little while.
qJHl8.gif

Ledsen

I love LOVE pc gaming but I probably couldn't deal with going PC only. Too many exclusives on the sony and microsoft side that are worth playing. Also PC probably has the biggest lead over consoles they've ever had right now because this generation is taking so hella long. Once the PS4 and xbox 720 come out the gap should close or the consoles might even overtake the PC's for a little while. Unless of course developers think it's feasible to create AAA titles exclusively for the PC so they can take full advantage and be fully optimized for PC.

Yeah... that won't happen.

1-D_FTW

Trine 2: Goblin Menace is indeed awesome.

One thing I never realized until recently, however, is a lot of people just use cheap solutions in multi-player. Maybe that's why I have more love for the series than most. I feel the solutions in single-player are tons of fun. But it helps that you can't just have one person conjure up a plank and float a second person to solve every problem.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Trine 2: Goblin Menace is indeed awesome.

One thing I never realized until recently, however, is a lot of people just use cheap solutions in multi-player. Maybe that's why I have more love for the series than most. I feel the solutions in single-player are tons of fun. But it helps that you can't just have one person conjure up a plank and float a second person to solve every problem.

Yeah, I always dig a first run solo. There are always some XP orbs I can't imagine reaching by myself though :(

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Quantum Conundrum: Season Pass all the way down to $3.75 (from $20) on GMG
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/puzzle/quantum-conundrum-season-pass/
with GMG25-1BW0K-K1A3G
That seals it, I'm getting the game! Shame I couldn't get it for 3 bucks the other day on Gamefly, the service is not available in my country. And I passed on the $12 offer on Amazon :(

Fuck, the game's $4.99 in my region. If anyone buys it for me for $3.75, I could gift him any Steam game under $4. Oh well, 1.24 bucks isn't that much of a difference anyway...

nvm, just realized the $1.24 discount was due to the code that Jediyoshi posted. I feel so stupid now.

haikira

Once the PS4 and xbox 720 come out the gap should close or the consoles might even overtake the PC's for a little while.

Nope.

There may be a small window when consoles catch up to medium range hardware. But there'll be people with tomorrows equivalent to a 690 and an overclocked CPU, turning games in to puddy.

ArjanN

Yeah... that won't happen.

I'm sure a lot of people will feel that's true, even if the hardware technically isn't as good as a high-end PC Microsoft and Sony will be throwing a bunch of money at it again. So there will be some flashy high-profile exclusives along the lines of Gears and Uncharted.

I expect there'll still be a ton of crossover with PC though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom