• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneB

I really don't understand the point of Greenlight when you can just vote on everything.

Hey here's a thousand games, would you buy them on Steam? Uhhh.. sure! Why not!

The real mystery is still finding out what sort of metrics are being used, how they're deciding what games do get greenlit, because it doesn't make any sense if some of this stuff on Greenlight isn't even finished it. It should be, hey these games are done, if they're greenlit, they'll be up on Steam next week! How great is that!?

If it was presented as "here's 30 games we've highlighted. Vote for 10 that will be on Steam next!" That would certainly make a lot more sense than just having a mountain of stuff that really has little to no traction.

edit: not to mention if Greenlight is the main Steam approval channel moving forward. Couldn't you just make your game Steamworks and it'll be on Steam anyway? :p

The whole thing confuses me.

Just a heads up - i opted into the beta (dated 27/11) and it's nerfed my Steam account/install.

I've tried nuking the full folder, parts of the Steam directory and every other suggestion under the sun and it's still a no go for me.

Basically what happens is Steam opens up and then closes within a second. There are already (at least) two threads on the Steam forums about this - along with the idiotic comments along the lines of "fix your PC hurr hurr".

Even on a clean install of Steam it craps out as the EULA pops up.

So yeah, i'd avoid for now.

1-D_FTW

what? no, 15 percent at most

Doesn't seem too hot to me. Out of 100+ friends, 1 owns it and 6 have it on their wishlist.

Can't say that I blame anyone, I don't have it on my wishlist either. Farcry 2 has me skeptical of the praise being thrown about.

HoosTrax

At two hours each, I have to say that playing a Telltale episodic game makes it feel like I'm actually making progess on my backlog...

Caerith

Doesn't seem too hot to me. Out of 100+ friends, 1 owns it and 6 have it on their wishlist.

Can't say that I blame anyone, I don't have it on my wishlist either. Farcry 2 has me skeptical of the praise being thrown about.
My skepticism is from the +15xp popups in the gameplay video. Farcry 2 is actually pretty high on my backlog.

Salsa

im not even considering the game (though I disagree with you), just the fact that the sales are 15 days after it comes out. 40 percent discont most likely?? no way in hell

Game Guru

tomb raider seems half assed. the icons look like they just threw anything together the last minute lol.

The icons look like the icons of the GOG versions.

Okay, all you guys who want the old Core Tomb Raider games... Go to GOG and there will be a pack for 1, 2, & 3 and a pack for 4 & 5 for $10 for each pack. Both come with avatars and artwork of Lara Croft, and the pack with 4 & 5 comes with the Tomb Raider Level Editor. They are also DRM-Free as per the norm for GOG.

Or you could probably wait for the next Steam Sale and hope the five games together cost less than $20 on Steam. Just don't buy them now. Screw that $10 each crap.

The icons look like the icons of the GOG version.

Okay, all you guys who want the old Core Tomb Raider games... Go to GOG and there will be a pack for 1, 2, & 3 and a pack for 4 & 5 for $10 for each pack. Both come with avatars and artwork of Lara Croft, and the pack with 4 & 5 comes with the Tomb Raider Level Editor. They are also DRM-Free as per the norm for GOG.

Or you could probably wait for the next Steam Sale and hope the five games together cost less than $20 on Steam. Just don't buy them now. Screw that $10 each crap.

c3Kk7.gif

Thanks. Might pick them up and just swim around for a while.

Sanic

What's wrong with the Core Tomb Raider games? Okay, okay, other than Angel of Darkness. No one should have to pay for that game. I like the old Core Tomb Raider games... I also like Legends, Anniversary, Underworld, and Guardian of Light.

They've aged pretty poorly imo, and with Anniversary, there's really no need to play the original.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The icons look like the icons of the GOG versions.

Woah, I almost just paid 50$ to get everything from Steam. Thank you.

What's wrong with the Core Tomb Raider games? Okay, okay, other than Angel of Darkness. No one should have to pay for that game. I like the old Core Tomb Raider games... I also like Legends, Anniversary, Underworld, and Guardian of Light.

They've aged pretty poorly imo, and with Anniversary, there's really no need to play the original.

Basically this. I played Tomb Raider II for the first time in 2002/03 and even then thought it was very clunky. I'm playing Legend right now and while I like the puzzles a lot it's just barely on the acceptable side when it comes to controls. At least that's how I feel.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, Angel of Darkness, even though it ran like crap on my old PC, was miles better than Chronicles on the PS1. I never understood the hate for that game.

Game Guru

Basically this. I played Tomb Raider II for the first time in 2002/03 and even then thought it was very clunky. I'm playing Legend right now and while I like the puzzles a lot it's just barely on the acceptable side when it comes to controls. At least that's how I feel.

Eh, I guess I can see that, but I still like the old Tomb Raider games, since they had some of the least clunky controls for a 3D game of that time period. I mean unless it's a 2D game or from Nintendo, a game from the fifth generation is going to be clunky.

None, for me they are great games, some would say that the new Tomb Raiders are better than its predecessors (because of the controls and graphics) but thanks to those old TR games we have Legends, Anniversary etc...

Eh, I guess I can see that, but I still like the old Tomb Raider games, since they had some of the least clunky controls for a 3D game of that time period. I mean unless it's a 2D game or from Nintendo, a game from the fifth generation is going to be clunky.

I don't know, it sticks out in the Tomb Raider games (among others of course) because you have to interact a lot with your environment like grabbing ledges etc. which feels terrible to me.

JustinBB7

Oh boy almost missed this thread. I bought Kotor 2, Walking Dead, Witcher 2, Dead Island and Ass Creed 3 during this sale, though I guess the last one doesn't count since it wasn't on sale. Lots of game hours in those games though damn.

jediyoshi

I really don't understand the point of Greenlight when you can just vote on everything.

Just like voting's use in every other instance, it's a gauge for interest. I think you're far overestimating people's ability to go into Greenlight and start wantonly voting for things they don't mean to. They likely don't have any hard line on when to accept something or not, since ultimately it's still up to them whether it's going to get approved anyway. Compared to their old system, this at least gives them an idea of a game's reach and it relative to other games.

And I'm stuck on the first boss in Stealth Bastard. If you could pull objects I could see a way past it but as of now, no clue of how to get by it.

I really can't believe that square expect anyone to buy those old TR games. Apart from anything else I'm pretty sure that I got all three NEW TR games for less than $10 in total.

ArjanN

Why isn't Angel of Darkness available? I know it was a buggy mess, but still..

It's in the registry with the other core Tomb Raiders, it's coming.

I really can't believe that square expect anyone to buy those old TR games. Apart from anything else I'm pretty sure that I got all three NEW TR games for less than $10 in total.

Might as well wring some money out of hardcore fans, then get everyone else with sales later.

I love replaying older games but the "classic" tomb raiders feel way to clunky to me. No way are they worth 9.99 each. I'd say not even 9.99 for a bundle of all of them personally.

PaulLFC

Is there any way to get Steam to download more than one game at a time? It never used to restrict it to one download, no idea why they've seemingly forced that now.

Kamek

As dumb as this sounds, what controller should I get for Steam? I wan't something compatible with many games. How do I enable it as well? I have things like Sonic Generations, Super Meat Boy, Arkham City, Counterstrike, etc.

Should I just buy a 360 controller? Does it work with most games?

Joe Molotov

$5 for the Tomb Raider games with a $20 bundle would have been a more reasonable price. I would have bought it. (on sale, natch)

$10 is "we added native controller support, support for modern resolutions, and steam achievements" pricing. Which obviously is not what they did.

As dumb as this sounds, what controller should I get for Steam? I wan't something compatible with many games. How do I enable it as well? I have things like Sonic Generations, Super Meat Boy, Arkham City, Counterstrike, etc.

Should I just buy a 360 controller? Does it work with most games?

The 360 controller is the de facto standard for modern games but you can use any Xinput controller like the Logitech F-series.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Would you recommend a wireless 360 controller or Wired? For wireless I'd need an accessory, wouldn't I? And could I get that accessory at any bestbuy/gamestop?

Wired. Wireless occasionally has issues with games and the receiver is of shitty build quality.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
$5 for the Tomb Raider games with a $20 bundle would have been a more reasonable price. I would have bought it. (on sale, natch)

$10 is "we added native controller support, support for modern resolutions, and steam achievements" pricing. Which obviously is not what they did.

Yeah, $10 each is a bit much considering the content is well over a decade old, and the lack of a bundle is odd.

jediyoshi

Would you recommend a wireless 360 controller or Wired? For wireless I'd need an accessory, wouldn't I? And could I get that accessory at any bestbuy/gamestop?

Yep, you'd need a wireless receiver. The official ones are somewhat prone to dying and availability in BM stores is up in the air. You're usually fine most of the time but occasionally there's an odd game that specially has issues with the wireless controller as opposed to the wired one.

I personally use a wired one so I don't have to worry about batteries and because I've heard that the wireless adapter tends to break rather fast but can be fixed quite easily. I can't talk about the availability since I'm not located in the US though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom