• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The readily-available knock-off wireless receivers work perfectly, in my experience.

Edit: That said, wired would be the way to go for increased compatibility, particularly with Ubi games.

NZNova

Would you recommend a wireless 360 controller or Wired? For wireless I'd need an accessory, wouldn't I? And could I get that accessory at any bestbuy/gamestop?

You can buy a Wireless 360 Controller for Windows pack, that comes with a USB receiver for it. You would still need to buy a separate play&charge kit though.

mannerbot

Wired is cheaper, lighter, doesn't require batteries, increased compatibility, and no wireless lag. Should be a no-brainer unless you really hate cords.

The BioShock Infinite facebook group shared some codes for LittleBigPlanet DLC and even though I've only taken one game from the Steam threads I immediately went into copy-paste mode. I'm a monster.

I bought a wired 360 controller and use it both on my PC and 360 console. I'd highly suggest this option just for the convenience of not having to recharge the wireless controller. The cord is very long too.

I have the wireless + receiver combo and there's really no big advantage over using a wired controller. It works just fine, though the extra money it costs is spent better at the xmas sale

1-D_FTW

Wired it is. Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions!

Good choice. Although I've never been bitten by a lousy receiver. Still, unless somebody is absolutely dead set against wires, the wired is superior in every important category.

Blizzard

Banned
Fuck Steam for turning my PC into a laggy piece of shit everytime a preload unlocks.
Or any time DOTA 2 updated, or I assume any time something with the new content system updated. :p Luckily I never got Dungeon Defenders...

Good choice. Although I've never been bitten by a lousy receiver. Still, unless somebody is absolutely dead set against wires, the wired is superior in every important category.
There's also the slight side benefit that wired works with my cobbled-together chatpad drivers, and I still haven't tried reverse engineering my wireless controller (still in the package with the receiver).

Plus it's worth pointing out that the wire is quite long and of decent quality, so you shouldn't have any problems if you're within like 8 feet of your PC if I recall correctly.

1-D_FTW

im not even considering the game (though I disagree with you), just the fact that the sales are 15 days after it comes out. 40 percent discont most likely?? no way in hell

Oops. Thought it was already out with the way you guys were talking about it. A December 4th release date would need some major bomba sauce for my numbers to happen. Although at this point, who knows. But I'm taking the 50 percent (best - worst case) off the table.

MRORANGE

A correction to the OP: Steam Wallet Vouchers are available at both Gamestop and Best Buy. Best Buy started carrying them like 2 weeks ago.

MRORANGE, you can also add in the OP that Best Buy sells Steam Wallet cards now, can even be bought online and shipped.

changed it.

oh btw wilflare is awesome:

8eCYW.png

thanks for the game, totally unexpected :)

1-D_FTW

GT Legends got released on Steam for 11.99.

Old game that I thought was caught up in license hell. Even Simbin (developer) had stopped selling it at their DD portal (The Race Department).

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Was this game on sale during the black day?

Maybe you could petition your MP to enact some draconian nanny-state law that would remind you, possibly by placing a tax if you forget to look at the site.

Blizzard

Banned
Known bug for Dota 2, and Dota 2 only, as I've yet to hear complaints about other games. Basically, it doesn't like certain hard drives.
Thanks, I'm glad to hear it's only DOTA 2. I kept being afraid of it happening with other games.

Woah man, that's the first I have ever heard of that. You should totally start a thread.
steam17kqpn.png

This is now my 4th post in the new Steam thread. Isn't it fair that I get to make a few posts too? :p

On an unrelated note, I just saw the Miasmata screenshots. That actually looks really pretty. Has anyone tried playing it yet?

Dingotech

Wired it is. Thanks to everyone who gave suggestions!

I originally had a Wired controller but then it busted.
Just be careful how you treat it when you put it away, I was wrapping the cord around the controller and it must have been too tight, because now my controller connects and disconnets all the time and it makes it useless.

So now I just use a Wireless controller with standard AA rechargeable batteries, no need to get an official play & charge kit, they suck arse and die after about 6 months. And I can confirm per JaseC's post that unofficial knock-off wireless recievers are fine, been using mine for a few months.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
This is now my 4th post in the new Steam thread. Isn't it fair that I get to make a few posts too? :p

I announced early on in the thread that I am going to take the crown. What else were you expecting? At least a quarter of my posts aren't about Dota 2 putting a rape culture on hard drives for certain special victims.

JaseC

Ubi's piss-poor post-release support is so profoundly infuriating. There's a mission in AssCreedBro where the full sync requirement is to kill your targets using the assassin recruits, but apparently there's a bug that causes this to be marked as failed if they're detected or use throwing knives.

Salsa

alright so help me with this steam gaf

I have everything Steam related on my HDD, except for the game im currently playing on my SSD.

the SSD stores just that one game, some software and the OS. My PC boots super fast because of it but the Steam client takes a shitload to boot up, the cache is terrible, and the hard drive pretty much cries with noise because of it.

How would I go about moving JUST the Steam client to the SSD, but leave all the games on my HDD steamapps folder, without having to reinstall anything?

Remfin

Steam is validating game data. As long as the game data is on your HDDs, moving the Steam executables isn't going to do anything.

HoosTrax

I have everything Steam related on my HDD, except for the game im currently playing on my SSD.

the SSD stores just that one game, some software and the OS. My PC boots super fast because of it but the Steam client takes a shitload to boot up, the cache is terrible, and the hard drive pretty much cries with noise because of it.

How would I go about moving JUST the Steam client to the SSD, but leave all the games on my HDD steamapps folder, without having to reinstall anything?
I don't think you can...unless you want to manually SteamMover every single game onto the HDD, or fiddle with Steam's own "where should I install the game" feature.

Odd that you have this problem. I have Steam installed on a 1.5TB WD Caviar Black, and I've never had it particularly bogged down by anything Steam happens to be doing.

Salsa

Odd that you have this problem. I have Steam installed on a 1.5TB WD Caviar Black, and I've never had it particularly bogged down by anything Steam happens to be doing.

well my 1.5tb samsung is 5400rpm, but it still seems oddly excessive. It takes a long while.

Steam is probably updating.

Croc

Banned
Anyone else here on Mac having Steam troubles? I hope to god it gets an update soon because ever since an update about a month ago Steam had been completely fucked for me. Windows/Notifications/Pop-ups are all completely broken.

I posted about it on the Steam forums and a bunch of people are experiencing the same thing but no one had heard any acknowledgment of the problem. Has anyone here heard anything?

HoosTrax

Steam is probably updating.
Oh that? That particular case is usually evident by the Steam icon in the notifications part of the taskbar. If you start up Steam and nothing apparently happens, but there's the miniature Steam icon with the "..." in the notifications area, then it's just downloading an client update.

Don't know if that's the situation he's talking about though.

Sysgen

Weird, when I access The Steam community in Dragon:

BUTIKK NYTT SAMFUNN VENNER PROFILE SPILLSENTRALER DISKUSJONER WORKSHOP GREENLIGHT NYHETER OM STØTTE STATISTIKK

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Known bug for Dota 2, and Dota 2 only, as I've yet to hear complaints about other games. Basically, it doesn't like certain hard drives.

I think Portal 2 uses the exact same file system, and is prone to the same thing, but it updates so infrequently people don't seem to really notice. Putting Dota 2 on a SSD fixed the problems with updating, so if Valve can't come up with a proper solution sooner, at least time will fix it as SSDs become more common.

JaseC

nah, but it was tolerable when I didnt have an SSD to compare

that shit ruins everything

You could try, as you mentioned just before, installing Steam itself to the SSD and seeing if the problem goes away. It's possible that, say, the cached files Steam uses (e.g. game icons) are on buggered sectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom