• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What's the point of that? The HD versions of the first 2 games have been released not too long ago.

I wondered the same thing after reading that thread. It seems to be a re-release for nothing more than the sake of a re-release.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
So, every Serious Sam game ever? (Besides the first one, naturally.)
According to a friend, SS2 is an excellent game. I can't comment on it yet, I've only played TFE Classic. I also started TSE a week ago, but only played 2 levels before getting my ass handed to me and dropping it for The Witcher. I'll probably pick it up again after beating this one.

I also liked Serious Sam 2.

I never understood why it is so hated. To me it still felt like the same mindless FPS with lots of ridiculous weapons and this time even lots of different settings.

JaseC

So, every Serious Sam game ever? (Besides the first one, naturally.)

The original versions of The First Encounter and The Second Encounter were budget releases so I can forgive the two being very similar outside of the locale changes, and I wasn't against Croteam remaking them with SE3, but for as much fun as I had blasting through Sam 3 with a mate (up until the penultimate level, anyway), there's no denying it felt like an uninspired retread (Egypt again?).

Edit: I forgot to mention Sam 2... and I think I'll leave it that way. :p

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I also liked Serious Sam 2.

I never understood why it is so hated. To me it still felt like the same mindless FPS with lots of ridiculous weapons and this time even lots of different settings.

The original versions of The First Encounter and The Second Encounter were budget releases so I can forgive the two being very similar outside of the locale changes, and I wasn't against Croteam remaking them with SE3, but for as much fun as I had blasting through Sam 3 with a mate (up until the penultimate level, anyway), there's no denying it felt like an uninspired retread (Egypt again?).

Edit: I forgot to mention Sam 2... and I think I'll leave it that way. :p

I can do repetitive tasks (I'm the guy in Terraria that builds a tunnel from one side of the map to another). But Serious Sam never feels like its building towards something other than another room of the same enemies. The weapons can be fun, but most of them are useless.

Even if the weapons were that good, there is no weight to anything. Valve and the Half-Life series often gets this complaint lobbed against them, but Serious Sam personifies it: you feel like a head floating around in space watching a robot shoot a gun.

I don't doubt that some people genuinely like the game, and I'm not speaking down to anyone who considers themselves a fan, but I feel like the series gets a weird pass because its developer is pretty community-friendly. Yet a game like Revelations 2012 is derided by everyone, but it has the same gameplay (and many of the same problems).

JaseC

Holy crap, just browsing Digital PC Downloads I found Endless Space for $8.74, pretty sure it's steamworks too! I missed the free weekend though, how is it?

It is. I compiled a list of the Steam-redeemable games on offer, which you can find here.

I can do repetitive tasks (I'm the guy in Terraria that builds a tunnel from one side of the map to another). But Serious Sam never feels like its building towards something other than another room of the same enemies. The weapons can be fun, but most of them are useless.

Even if the weapons were that good, there is no weight to anything. Valve and the Half-Life series often gets this complaint lobbed against them, but Serious Sam personifies it: you feel like a head floating around in space watching a robot shoot a gun.

I don't doubt that some people genuinely like the game, and I'm not speaking down to anyone who considers themselves a fan, but I feel like the series gets a weird pass because its developer is pretty community-friendly. Yet a game like Revelations 2012 is derided by everyone, but it has the same gameplay (and many of the same problems).

I'd say the series gets a pass because it makes no pretensions towards being anything more than a dumb, mindless shooter. I do agree that the combat/"gunplay" could be improved, though -- it'd be nice if the weapons had a sense of weight and impact. Sam 3's sledgehammer in particular could've easily been an utterly brutal weapon, but as it stands you're holding a toy and just bashing through paper mache.

Eh!? But...

It won't even let me add $100 to my account as I'm currently $116.

I use the Steam gift cards to add funds, so I can only assume the $200 limit is for the community market and adding funds through the client?

I'll try to add $10 to my account later through the client and see if I get an error.

Holy crap, just browsing Digital PC Downloads I found Endless Space for $8.74, pretty sure it's steamworks too! I missed the free weekend though, how is it?

It's great, if you are a fan of the 4x game type deal then you should enjoy it. It is a very streamlined and accessible game (with a great interface I might add), supoer easy to pick up and start rolling through fairly complex strategies without ever getting bogged down in details. The combat is a little odd, it had this rock paper scissors thing and although it starts off fairly interesting, it doesn't really lean far enough into the idea and ends up a little shallow and I found myself autocompleting combat a lot. But yeah, other then that it is well worth playing.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Did anyone bought nights? I'm provably going to buy it anyway but it will be nice to know if is running at 60fps and has no input lag.

dani_dc

Did anyone bought nights? I'm provably going to buy it anyway but it will be nice to know if is running at 60fps and has no input lag.

The game was 30 FPS on consoles, additionally old console games usually have the game logic associated with the frames, so it's very unlikely that the game will be running at 60fps.

NaM

The game was 30 FPS on consoles, additionally old console games usually have the game logic associated with the frames, so it's very unlikely that the game will be running at 60fps.
Thanks I'm more worried about the input lag, the game was so smooth to play on the Saturn. When I get back from work tonight if nobody else bought it I'll report back.

Blizzard

Banned
If the console version was running at 30 fps, wouldn't you have been limited to that amount of input lag (up to 33 ms purely from frame rate, plus TV response time) already? Input lag and smoothness are different issues.

NaM

If the console version was running at 30 fps, wouldn't you have been limited to that amount of input lag (up to 33 ms purely from frame rate, plus TV response time) already? Input lag and smoothness are different issues.
Remember that CRT TV's have no lag. And for the frames I have no problem running at 30 as long as it doesn't affect gameplay. I wish I was at home already lol.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I don't remember reading about people having problems with the Nights port's input lag, though. When people complained about the controls, it was because they switched the way the character moves to be 8-way directional, like with the PS2 port. The recent patch improved upon that, but it still isn't a perfect 1-to-1 recreation of the game.

dani_dc

I was totally going to buy this on release to support Sega porting their older stuff to PC.

But 3 days before the sale? Fuck you.

I feel that's the position they put us all in. Awful planning by their part. Though honestly at least they got it out now instead of waiting for after the sales, that would had been even worst. I'll get it after the sale starts even if it's not discounted.

As I said, they should had just had negotiated to have it releaed and featured as a daily sale game on the first day of the sale and sell have it discounted by 33~50%.

No midweek sale; so does this imply the Christmas sale will start this week?

Supposedly it starts on the 20th.

6 % after downloading Far Cry 3 for 2 hours. Gamestop app is clearly the winner in the fight against Steam.

This right here. It's even showing me that it's downloading with 1 MB/s, but took 1 hour to download 1 GB. I have no idea what's going on. I actually wanted to play FC3 tonight. :(

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I feel that's the position they put us all in. Awful planning by their part. Though honestly at least they got it out now instead of waiting for after the sales, that would had been even worst. I'll get it after the sale starts even if it's not discounted.

As I said, they should had just had negotiated to have it releaed and featured as a daily sale game on the first day of the sale and sell have it discounted by 33~50%.

And you know what boggles the mind? That's exactly what they did with Condemned. It came out on PC on Halloween on the Autumn sale on Steam for 50% off.

I'll probably buy it also, but now it could be featured as a daily deal. So no purchase until after the sale.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Are there any good Steam achievement tracking sites? I want sites that I don't have to log into, or if I do, they are trusted by the community or something.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

But that's exactly the point of the franchise. It's as shallow as it can be, you just turn off your brain and shoot the hell out of everything that moves. No puzzles, no thinking, just pure shooting fun.

I concede that the games are repetitive, and TSE feels exactly like the first, only with stronger enemies thrown at you right from the very beginning. It's something you want to play between deeper games, almost as an escape valve. I haven't played Revelations 2012 and don't plan to (even though I have it on my Steam account, it's a 6 GB download), so I can't comment on it. Does that game take itself seriously? Because the Serious Sams surely don't.

Deques

Not a steam related question
Do I have to download and install an uplay game in order to register it to uplay? I bought the insane Far Cry deal, and now I am trying to figure out how to redeem the game in uplay

iavi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom