• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazo

Not a steam related question
Do I have to download and install an uplay game in order to register it to uplay? I bought the insane Far Cry deal, and now I am trying to figure out how to redeem the game in uplay

what deal ? have a link ?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
But that's exactly the point of the franchise. It's as shallow as it can be, you just turn off your brain and shoot the hell out of everything that moves. No puzzles, no thinking, just pure shooting fun.

I concede that the games are repetitive, and TSE feels exactly like the first, only with stronger enemies thrown at you right from the very beginning. It's something you want to play between deeper games, almost as an escape valve. I haven't played Revelations 2012 and don't plan to (even though I have it on my Steam account, it's a 6 GB download), so I can't comment on it. Does that game take itself seriously? Because the Serious Sams surely don't.
"No puzzles, no thinking, just pure shooting fun."
My problem with this line is that the shooting is pure tedium to me... and the majority of my friends who have played the games (and opinion's I trust).

Revelations doesn't take itself seriously.

Aaron

Not a steam related question
Do I have to download and install an uplay game in order to register it to uplay? I bought the insane Far Cry deal, and now I am trying to figure out how to redeem the game in uplay
Google the uplay client. You can enter the code after installing that.

Far cry complete pack with all 3 far cry games for dirt cheap ~£5. it was a pricing error. the deal is over

http://www.impulsedriven.com/products/ESD-IMP-W2385

anyone can answer my question?

You usually can only activate keys while installing a game which you already downloaded from somewhere else. You can't do it like on steam.

But I found this tutorial, which enables you to do it with a little workaround:
http://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/12ymlo/aus_free_prince_of_persia_assassins_creed/

I didn't try it yet, since I don't know if that's actually allowed or not.

Tizoc

Yep. You have to talk with your wallet. It's the only way these companies hear people.

This'll make me look like a hypocrite...unless one were to read my post properly ;), but I'm sadly not that interested in NiGHTS nor SA2. If I end up liking JSR on PSN (which FYI is in my backlog atm, don't ask), I'll get it off Steam for $10.
However, should they announce Skies of Arcadia HD with a Steam release? Gettin' dat day 1 on consoles and Steam~

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
But that's exactly the point of the franchise. It's as shallow as it can be, you just turn off your brain and shoot the hell out of everything that moves. No puzzles, no thinking, just pure shooting fun.

I concede that the games are repetitive, and TSE feels exactly like the first, only with stronger enemies thrown at you right from the very beginning. It's something you want to play between deeper games, almost as an escape valve. I haven't played Revelations 2012 and don't plan to (even though I have it on my Steam account, it's a 6 GB download), so I can't comment on it. Does that game take itself seriously? Because the Serious Sams surely don't.

All I can say is that I don't find the shooting fun. I feel completely disconnected from what's happening on the screen. The fly swatter mini game in Mario Paint is more visceral than the entire Serious Sam franchise.

You should give Revelations a shot. It isn't a pretty game, but it very much follows the Serious Sam formula.

Deques

You usually can only activate keys while installing a game which you already downloaded from somewhere else. You can't do it like on steam.

But I found this tutorial, which enables you to do it with a little workaround:
http://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/12ymlo/aus_free_prince_of_persia_assassins_creed/

I didn't try it yet, since I don't know if that's actually allowed or not.

I am too scared to try this method. Oh well I guess I have to install the games. They should make it like Steam. I don't really want to download and install games I won't be playing anytime soon

This'll make me look like a hypocrite...unless one were to read my post properly ;), but I'm sadly not that interested in NiGHTS nor SA2. If I end up liking JSR on PSN (which FYI is in my backlog atm, don't ask), I'll get it off Steam for $10.
However, should they announce Skies of Arcadia HD with a Steam release? Gettin' dat day 1 on consoles and Steam~

I would get Skies of Arcadia. I borrowed the game from a friend long time ago but never finished it

D3RANG3D

Ehh...really? I've only played a couple stages of Necrovision but from what I can tell it isn't nearly as well-made.

Any Serious Sam is more polished the differentiation is the setting, WW1 with horror elements a combo system etc.

I think a more apt assessment is.

Necro>Painkiller

How is the New UE3 Painkiller it's devd by the Necro team?

I was pleasantly surprised to find out I had nearly £8 on my Gamestation card, so used that to add another £10 to my Steam war chest. Guy behind the counter talked about Miami Hotline, recommending it to me. I don't know much about it, but my interest has been piqued. I might pick it up if it comes on sale.

Tizoc

Gah can't believe I haven't asked this before:
What are good 2D platformers that play well with a keyboard? I know of Trine, but what other good games are there?

Wok

Gah can't believe I haven't asked this before:
What are good 2D platformers that play well with a keyboard? I know of Trine, but what other good games are there?

Escape Goat, Sugar Cube : Bittersweet Factory, Blocks That Matter, Vessel, Rochard, Unmechanical, Thomas Was Alone, Pid, Wooden Sen'SeY, Project 87, MɪʀʀФяяɪM, The Cave (in 2013).

What is underlined is already on the Steam store.

metalshade

So I picked up the Tantalizing THQ Medley.
All I wanted were Stalker and Warhammer Space Marine.
I have codes for:
Homefront
Metro 2033
Red Faction Guerilla
Red Faction Armageddon
Anyone want any for a quid each?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So I picked up the Tantalizing THQ Medley.
All I wanted were Stalker and Warhammer Space Marine.
I have codes for:
Homefront
Metro 2033
Red Faction Guerilla
Red Faction Armageddon
Anyone want any for a quid each?

i2K9zlB74U2nR.gif

metalshade

ohhhh.
My bad.
Didn't realise, I completely ignore social media stuff.
Sorry guys.
Well I guess I will go clog up the FREE to a good home thread then.

Edit: Wow I look like a chump!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
ohhhh.
My bad.
Sorry guys.

People are used to getting stuff for free in this thread. The best you might get out of this crowd is like 3$ for a game code for a game that just released for 60$. Just keep that in mind in the future too.

ohhhh.
My bad.
Sorry guys.

Edit: Wow I look like a chump!

I wouldn't worry about it. Aside from Metro 2033, I don't see anything wrong with dispersing the rest of them out. People do that all the time in this thread. Even with that exact same bundle the first time it came around.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
"No puzzles, no thinking, just pure shooting fun."
My problem with this line is that the shooting is pure tedium to me... and the majority of my friends who have played the games (and opinion's I trust).

Revelations doesn't take itself seriously.
That I can understand. You accept the game for what it is, but don't like the way it does it, in this case the way the shooting feels. Morningbus, on the other hand, seemed to want another kind of game out of the Serious Sam titles, that's why I thought maybe he didn't get that the games were doing that on purpose, not to be taken seriously.

To be completely honest, I was kinda put off after seeing that TSE was almost a carbon copy of TFE, only with blue colored menus instead of green. I don't want to get burned on the franchise, not when I still have the HD remakes, 2 sequels and 2 indie games left to play.

All I can say is that I don't find the shooting fun. I feel completely disconnected from what's happening on the screen. The fly swatter mini game in Mario Paint is more visceral than the entire Serious Sam franchise.

You should give Revelations a shot. It isn't a pretty game, but it very much follows the Serious Sam formula.
I know R2K12 is considered one of the worst games on Steam, but is it really that bad? Is it bad bad, or so bad it's good bad? Is it a bad enough game to rescue the president?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I was pleasantly surprised to find out I had nearly £8 on my Gamestation card, so used that to add another £10 to my Steam war chest. Guy behind the counter talked about Miami Hotline, recommending it to me. I don't know much about it, but my interest has been piqued. I might pick it up if it comes on sale.
That's one smart salesman. Hotline Miami is a great game, featuring the best soundtrack of the year, and one of the best of the decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom