• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
I told myself I wouldn't play through the Half-Life series until Half-Life 3 is around the corner and so far my resolve hasn't waned, although I had a close call recently when I started a game of Half-Life: Source but quit during the opening sequence.

dtoSZ.jpg

Seance

Banned
So Uplay is pretty annoying. I downloaded FC3 from the Gamestop app and now Uplay wants me to download it again? Is there a way for it to recognize i have the game installed already?

Cade

I'm sure it's been posted in here but the Groupees Build A Greenlight Bundle started. You know the shtick. Buy these games, get Steam codes if they get Greenlit.

http://groupees.com/bagb

I bought Wooden Sen'Sey and Private Infiltrator and Wooden Sen'Sey is amazing.

Rufus

So Uplay is pretty annoying. I downloaded FC3 from the Gamestop app and now Uplay wants me to download it again? Is there a way for it to recognize i have the game installed already?
It's not actually trying to re-download anything, unless I'm interpreting your post wrongly. You only download and extract the files through Gamestop's launcher. Then you hit 'play' which starts the actual installation process.
That's why you're asked for an installation directory a second time. That confused me at first, too, until I actually looked at what the Gamestop app put on my hard drive. A directory with a setup.exe.

No. No, it's not ideal.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Guys I have never played Halflife 2 what is the most economical way to get it on the PC?

Buy The Orange Box when it's 75% off within the next ~2.5 weeks.

Edit: ^ Or that. But you'll also want Episode One and Episode Two.

Seance

Banned
It's not actually trying to re-download anything, unless I'm interpreting your post wrongly. You only download and extract the files through Gamestop's launcher. Then you hit 'play' which starts the actual installation process.
That's why you're asked for an installation directory a second time. That confused me at first, too, until I actually looked at what the Gamestop app put on my hard drive. A directory with a setup.exe.

No. No, it's not ideal.

Oh, right yeah that must be it. Odd.

Violater

Buy The Orange Box when it's 75% off within the next ~2.5 weeks.

Edit: ^ Or that. But you'll also want Episode One and Episode Two.

Ok I understand now

I remember playing a demo of HL1 waaaaaaaaaay back in the day lol, I don't think I want to go that far back in the series I can wiki that portion of the story :)

Nyx

''All I want for Christmas(Steam-sales), is The Sims 3 with all expansions for less than 100 eurooooossssssss''

Ok I understand now

I remember playing a demo of HL1 waaaaaaaaaay back in the day lol, I don't think I want to go that far back in the series I can wiki that portion of the story :)

I haven't tried it myself so I can't really say how it turned out, but you could always play Black Mesa Source to get some of the HL1 story if you're interested.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I know you hate the walking dead< not me though.

What I do hate is old school Telltale games taking up 5 stupid spots in my game list! Piiss that shit off Valve PLEASE!!!

I have no opinion of The Walking Dead since I haven't played it. I have played the bulk of the Telltale games that I got in the TT Bundle one sale and I was underwhelmed with pretty much every season I have played of their games thus far. The sheer attention that TWD is getting guarantees I will try it at some point despite my dislike of TT's works as a whole.

Ok I understand now

HL1 aged quite nicely and is still more interesting/better designed than most FPS' released in the last decade.

''All I want for Christmas(Steam-sales), is The Sims 3 with all expansions for less than 100 eurooooossssssss''
My sister already owns physical copies of The Sims 3 and all the expansions. I just peeked on Steam how much that costs and I almost fell out of my chair: 459,85€

That's more than I've spent on games on Steam in the last three years! Thank you based Gaben and your glorious sales.

I have no opinion of The Walking Dead since I haven't played it. I have played the bulk of the Telltale games that I got in the TT Bundle one sale and I was underwhelmed with pretty much every season I have played of their games thus far. The sheer attention that TWD is getting guarantees I will try it at some point despite my dislike of TT's works as a whole.

I'm not really a fan of TT's previous games either, but TWD is way, WAY better than anything they've ever done. The storytelling is fantastic.

EDIT: By the way, is there some confirmation that the winter sale starts this week? Or is it as safe a bet as the summer sale starting before the end of june?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
EDIT: By the way, is there some confirmation that the winter sale starts this week? Or is it as safe a bet as the summer sale starting before the end of june?

IIRC the guy who revealed the date revealed another sale and was 100% correct with the earlier date.

That might be true, wanting to add HL2 to my catalog is already swelling my backlog to ridiculous proportions :)

HL1 is better than most of the games in your backlog.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I know you hate the walking dead< not me though.

What's up with people ascribing opinions to Stallion Free lately?

A couple days ago someone said that he loves metroidvanias and that his current favorite is Hell Yeah! He hasn't even played that game.

Are you guys thinking of Nabs? He's the resident Metroidvaniaholic in the Steam thread.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm working towards existence in this thread without ever have to post in the thread. My ghost will be whatever this thread needs me to be.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
^^ This

I bought The Secret World last night (fancied getting in on the whole end of days storyline, even if I am late to the party), and was playing it all morning... forgot to check this thread first.

Still, TSW is fun - looks a *lot* nicer graphically than it did in beta, and less laggy too. Think I'm going to spend this holiday season playing TSW non stop, just like I spent last year playing SW:TOR.

Congratulations to the people that got in on that bargain though :)
Is it any good? Had a sudden urge to go back to WoW, but don't want to deal with a sub. Worth picking it up if it goes down to $15 on Steam?

I was looking for a entry for HIB7 in the Steam registry and found Serious Sam Revolution. Has anyone heard about it?
Maybe it's a new licensed indie game? Just like Double D and The Random Encounter.

Lain

Maybe the Steam client has spoiled me, because I can't believe Uplay sent me to manually download a patch for Far Cry 3 from a webpage right after I finished installing a patch they automatically downloaded when I tried to start the game.

morningbus

NiGHTS Into Dreams on Steam now for $9.99

Random early morning release! With achievements and leaderboads support.

I wonder if it includes the recent control patch.

You know, it would make sense and everything, but this release was so botched I think anything is possible.

dani_dc

NiGHTS Into Dreams on Steam now for $9.99

Random early morning release! With achievements and leaderboards support.

That's some awful timing, anytime before this week and I would had gotten it day one (I was actually checking on a daily basis for any news on the internet for it's release).
Now I won't have money until the 20th and that's when the sales start anyway.

Should had contacted Valve to try and have it featured as a main sale with 50% off on the first day of sales (the game has been discounted on PSN for that much).

morningbus

Alternatively, keep your eyes peeled for when it shows up on GMG. Jet Set Radio was like 2 or 3 bucks about a week ago (sale + discount coupon)

Yeah. I don't regret buying Jet Set Radio at full price (would do it again, too), but Nights' mismanagement has relegated this to a sub $5 purchase for me.

metalshade

If anyone has a spare steam code from the amazon bundle or something, I would be willing to paypal a couple of bucks for a copy of warhammer space marine. I'm in the UK, and I don't wanna fiddle with american amazon accounts or stuff, and out of the bundle, that's the only game I want.

Violater

But HL1 is better than HL2. I strongly suggest you play them in order.

Too late already red the Wiki
But seriously I have too much games to play and no time to play games as it is.
I am hoping HL2 is something I can pick up and put down like I did with the Witcher which took over 2 years to beat.
i think at that rate I should be finished right around when episode 3 is announced

Thanks to whoever posted the Far Cry 3 for 7&#8364; deal from gamestop earlier today. It was some serious work to make an account and purchase it from my shitty phone but it was probably the best deal I'll buy all holiday. Just awesome.

Currently downloading. :D Can't wait to play it.

EDIT: DagsJT, you're awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom