• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArjanN

Not sure what you mean, but the pack includes 3, 4 and the upcoming DmC

He means it doesn't have 1 and 2, but those never had PC versions, so it's a pretty goofy complaint.

Aren't bland and mediocre kind of the same thing? The combat in Spec Ops is bland and mediocre in my opinion.

People say this a lot but IMO there's been so much iteration on third and first person shooters that even "mediocre" ones are generally still pretty good. Try going back to the average shooter on the previous generation or two and you'll see the bar has been raised significantly.

ShaneB

Really hoping DMC 4 gets down to 5$, it's been on my wishlist for ages. I've never really played a dmc game before, but I figure it makes sense to at least bite at 4 for 5$.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
People say this a lot but IMO there's been so much iteration on third and first person shooters that even "mediocre" ones are generally still pretty good. Try going back to the average shooter on the previous generation or two and you'll see the bar has been raised significantly.

I'm judging a game by it's modern peers, cover-based third person shooters were hardly even a thing last gen.

And I think all of my complaints hold up even if you were looking at the game in a vacuum. There is a lot of room for improvement in Spec Ops when it comes to combat as a whole.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Spec Ops: The Line's combat is supposedly not-fun for the same reason Metal Gear Solid 2's plot is confusing; by intentional design. That's what one hears anyway.

Forkball

There's not really much I want for the winter sale.

Minus the 50 games I have on my wishlist.

Oh god I will buy so many games I haven't even played most of the games I bought in summer Trine 2 I didn't even know I owned that someone help meeeeee

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
There's not really much I want for the winter sale.

Minus the 50 games I have on my wishlist.

Oh god I will buy so many games I haven't even played most of the games I bought in summer Trine 2 I didn't even know I owned that someone help meeeeee

Why aren't you saving money for the Bastion announcer in Dota 2 instead? You'll get far more entertainment out that.

Forkball

Why aren't you saving money for the Bastion announcer in Dota 2 instead? You'll get far more entertainment out that.

I definitely plan to get some Frostivus and Polycount stuff, I just wonder how much it will be. That Disruptor mount will be Mythical I can already tell.

1-D_FTW

Just on a whim, I started up Tomb Raider: Underworld and played the first level last night. God almighty, it's stunning in 3D. And nothing but water and tombs! Absolute adventure perfection.

1-D_FTW

Speaking of DMC 4, what's Valve's issue with demos? Do publishers just not want them on the service? Like quite a few games, there's a DMC 4 demo out there, but not on Steam.

Weekend Confirmed had the director (or someone heavily involved) on the podcast talking about the game and he pretty much said the same thing.

edit: lead designer

Yeah. Everything I've ever heard about the game tells me to stay away and ignore the hype. Sounds like Stockholm Syndrome with the people recommending it.

Nabs

They did a nice job with the art design, but I got sick of the gameplay within an hour. The 5 hours it took me to play through it felt more like 10.

Wolfie5

Having recently played and enjoyed Mark of Ninja and Orcs Must Die!

My given purchases this sale will be:

Orcs Must Die! 2
Deadlight
Trine 2 (liked the first one)

Any other good Arcade type games that anyone can recommend?
I am playing Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light right now, so no need to mention it. Have also played Limbo before. Other than that, I am sure there are lots that I don´t know of and haven´t played yet.

I will also probably buy(depends on the price and what other games I buy):
Might and Magic Heroes VI
Darksiders 2
Dishonored
Max Payne 3

I am ready for Winter sale. Bring it on! :)

Interfectum

Yeah. Everything I've ever heard about the game tells me to stay away and ignore the hype. Sounds like Stockholm Syndrome with the people recommending it.

Eh, it's a fun 5 hour romp for $5-10.

I'm sure you watched TV shows or movies that didn't exactly blow you away but still glad you watched. This game is the same thing. For optimal fun just drop it down to easy at the beginning.

KarmaCow

Well it's been a while since I listened to that episode but he made it seem like he didn't want the player to get distracted by the combat. The combat in that sense was just a tool for the story and was meant to be bare bones. It wasn't meant to stand out, good or bad, just serviceable.

Wolfie5

Really hoping DMC 4 gets down to 5$, it's been on my wishlist for ages. I've never really played a dmc game before, but I figure it makes sense to at least bite at 4 for 5$.

Me too, but I kind of give up on that game to go down to that price. But seeing that DMC pack gives me some hope.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Well it's been a while since I listened to that episode but he made it seem like he didn't want the player to get distracted by the combat. The combat in that sense was just a tool for the story and was meant to be bare bones. It wasn't meant to stand out, good or bad, just serviceable.

Combat is all the game is.... it's like a near constant stream of battles all with a ton of enemies. Every player is going to be distracted by the combat because that accounts for 98% of the game.

KarmaCow

Well I don't even know why I'm trying to explain the motivations and reasoning for a game I haven't played (or probably will ever play) so I'll stop.

whats wrong with dmc 3?

Worse graphics than the PS2 version (missing shadows etc)

Horrendous performance (which to be fair can probably be brute forced nowadays)

Difficult to set up the controller.

Sound issues (skipping music and I think I remember reading that disabling it doubles the framerate lol).

These are just some of the issues off the top of my head. It was ported by the same Ubisoft guys as the PC versions of Resi 4 and Onimusha 3.

1-D_FTW

Actually didn't listen to that podcast. Already was leaning a certain direction and the Cruncheons podcast was the one that cemented my opinion of do not buy.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

That's the worst excuse I've ever heard, especially considering the game is fundamentally a third-person shooter.

Prezhulio

what will be my $1 alpha protocol steam winter sale insane deal this year i wonder? a very good game (despite it's flaws), and a freaking dollar.

i'm hoping torchlight 2 get's a deep discount. not hopeful for dishonored to go ~$15 though.

pretty much banking on $10 or less for max payne 3, darksiders 2, and walking dead. that just leaves ac3, far cry 3 and black ops 2 missing from my 2012 catalog, but i'm doubtful they even have a chance of entering my breaking point. maybe there will be an assasin's creed bundle that will grab me for ~$25 as i only have ac1 on steam.

JaseC

what will be my $1 alpha protocol steam winter sale insane deal this year i wonder? a very good game (despite it's flaws), and a freaking dollar.

i'm hoping torchlight 2 get's a deep discount. not hopeful for dishonored to go ~$15 though.

pretty much banking on $10 or less for max payne 3, darksiders 2, and walking dead. that just leaves ac3, far cry 3 and black ops 2 missing from my 2012 catalog, but i'm doubtful they even have a chance of entering my breaking point. maybe there will be an assasin's creed bundle that will grab me for ~$25 as i only have ac1 on steam.

Max Payne 3 is still $60 and Darksiders 2 $50, so I'd readjust your expectations. At best, you'll see them at 75% off ($15 and $12.50 respectively).

DMC3 is horrible on PC.

DMC4 is half a medicore game doubled up to make it seem like a full mediocre game.

DmC is probably going to be rubbish.

.. some collection!

Money is better off being invested in the PS3/360 HD collection.

This confuses me because they're paying extra attention on everything that was bad in DMC4 for DmC.

Prezhulio

Max Payne 3 is still $60 and Darksiders 2 $50, so I'd readjust your expectations. At best, you'll see them at 75% off ($15 and $12.50 respectively).

they both were that price on black friday is the only reason i fed into that assumption some outlet would have a discount running (and they're both steamworks i think) for the holiday season sales that bested their black friday deal. i guess it's wishful thinking, but for those $10 is my breaking point.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
In that people who dislike that are also wrong.

Some people have higher standards then others. I play a shit load of 3rd person shooters and I have played the game twice this year so it's failings are really standing out to me.

I think second playthroughs say a lot about a games quality.

JaseC

they both were that price on black friday is the only reason i fed into that assumption some outlet would have a discount running (and they're both steamworks i think) for the holiday season sales that bested their black friday deal. i guess it's wishful thinking, but for those $10 is my breaking point.

Oh, right. I'd assumed you were referring to digital deals.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I don't want to alarm anybody, but whoever says Binary Domain is not amazing is just plain wrong.

Those are just the facts.

Isaccard

yeah, it's scary to think that there are people who don't agree

*shudders*

My only gripe about the game is it's patience testing pacing (bullet sponge after bullet sponge bosses) and cheap off screen homing missile deaths. And Big Bo. It's a competent TPS, but not worth all the attention it gets on GAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom