• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

derExperte

yeah, it's scary to think that there are people who don't agree

*shudders*

Then cower in fear before me!!! It wasn't bad of course but imo nowhere near good enough to warrant the GAFhype, weakest parts were the ones lauded the most around here like the cliché-ridden story with mostly terrible conversations and dumb or annoying characters. Gameplay was fine on the other hand for this type of game. Nothing overly exciting but fun for 10 hours.

nexen

Yeah, I agree that Binary Domain is a decent game but it does have serious pacing and polish issues.
It was a bargain for the $10 I paid for it.

Grief.exe

Guys I need help deciding on my next game to play through.

I just got done playing Spec Ops: The Line so I'm not sure if I want to delve into any more shooting games just yet. Plus I'm playing PS2, BF3, and CS:GO on the multiplayer side (and Chivalry).

I'm thinking about either

Paper Mario: TTYD
RAGE

Max Payne 3 is still $60 and Darksiders 2 $50, so I'd readjust your expectations. At best, you'll see them at 75% off ($15 and $12.50 respectively).

Amazon sells Steam keys for MP3, game isn't Steamworks, so they will probably be more competetive with pricing in the Christmas sale. It will be cheap during the Amazon January sale where we can use our $5 coupons. I'm wondering if Amazon will discount it to $10 normally, then to $5 after the coupon.

Darksiders 2 is Steamworks, so you can find a much better deal at any of the major DD sites over Steam.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Amazon sells Steam keys for MP3, game isn't Steamworks, so they will probably be more competetive with pricing in the Christmas sale. It will be cheap during the Amazon January sale where we can use our $5 coupons. I'm wondering if Amazon will discount it to $10 normally, then to $5 after the coupon.

Darksiders 2 is Steamworks, so you can find a much better deal at any of the major DD sites over Steam.

I wasn't just referring to Steam. The lowest Max Payne 3 has been on Amazon is $20 and that was just a month ago, and Darksiders 2 hasn't been more than 66% off anywhere.

derExperte

The new Indie Royale Xmas Bundle includes quite a few (good) games with Steam keys so I'm gonna post this here too:

http://www.indieroyale.com/

Colour Bind: steam (pc), windows, desura
Offspring Fling!: steam (pc, mac), windows, mac, linux, desura (Incl. Bonus Game: Namiko)
Serious Sam Double D: steam (pc), windows, desura
Serious Sam: The Random Encounter: steam (pc), windows, desura
Puzzle Bots: steam (pc), windows, desura
Little Kingdom: windows, desura

Each one of those is a Steam key, unlocking the full game. I used the Multiplayer key for myself and gifted the Activation key here on GAF .

Sweet Cheers! I already ordered two on Zavvi before your post and tried to cancel but they wouldn't let me haha. I shall give away two codes here when they arrive :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The new Indie Royale Xmas Bundle includes quite a few (good) games with Steam keys so I'm gonna post this here too:

Offspring Fling!: steam (pc, mac), windows, mac, linux, desura (Incl. Bonus Game: Namiko)

In for Colour Blind, Offspring Fling, and Puzzle Bots.

AlexBasch

Well shit, I haven't played on my PC due to some heavy playing on my recently bought PS3, but I CAN'T MISS DEM SALES.

It's not like I was going to play those games anyway...

I lost two bucks today (they fell from my wallet somehow). My first thought was "That could have been a Steam game" :lol
I was at the 7-Eleven the other day and thought of picking up some cookies to get through before lunch.

"No, I can buy something with this". And put them back on the shelve.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Sweet Cheers! I already ordered two on Zavvi before your post and tried to cancel but they wouldn't let me haha. I shall give away two codes here when they arrive :)
Sorry for making you waste money :(

Oh, and I'm ashamed of myself, I just spend 7 bucks on Burger King. I broke the old unwritten rule: "Thou shall not spend pieces of eight on food in the week prior to the Steam Sale, else thou shall suffer the mighty wrath of Gaben".

My only gripe about the game is it's patience testing pacing (bullet sponge after bullet sponge bosses) and cheap off screen homing missile deaths. And Big Bo. It's a competent TPS, but not worth all the attention it gets on GAF.

Then cower in fear before me!!! It wasn't bad of course but imo nowhere near good enough to warrant the GAFhype, weakest parts were the ones lauded the most around here like the cliché-ridden story with mostly terrible conversations and dumb or annoying characters. Gameplay was fine on the other hand for this type of game. Nothing overly exciting but fun for 10 hours.

Meh, Binary Domain embraced its cheesiness and was all the funner for it IMO. I had a huge grin playing with Big Bo and listening to the ridiculous shit he said. Same goes for Cain.

The game is not perfect, in fact, some mechanics are downright terrible and the PC port is awful without a controller. The cover system isn't as good as it could be and there is a lot of shit flying around which can become annoying. It's pretty clear to me that more time in the oven could have helped it immensely. Sadly we'll never see a sequel to this though.

But I still enjoyed it from beginning to end. Of course Gears and Uncharted have far more polish and production value but Binary Domain made up for it with far more interesting boss fights (which rarely take that much time anyway, except for the Gorilla and the Motorcycle) and some cool and satisfying grunt encounters. If I wanted to play just another safe TPS I'd play the market leaders.

Grief.exe

Well shit, I haven't played on my PC due to some heavy playing on my recently bought PS3, but I CAN'T MISS DEM SALES.

It's not like I was going to play those games anyway...

I was at the 7-Eleven the other day and thought of picking up some cookies to get through before lunch.

"No, I can buy something with this". And put them back on the shelve.

If I was going to buy a console, PS3 would definitely be it.

Better exclusives, less anti-consumer practices. I probably will pick one up one day to play through some of the games I missed.

Cramoss

If I was going to buy a console, PS3 would definitely be it.

Better exclusives, less anti-consumer practices. I probably will pick one up one day to play through some of the games I missed.

PC+PS3 is the best gaming setup you can have these days.

Miker

I haven't played Gears 3 or Uncharted 3 but I'm willing to say that Binary Domain is better than either series.

I've played Gears 1/2 and Uncharted 1/2, and I'd say Binary Domain was more enjoyable than both Gears games, and Uncharted 1. I'm mostly cool with Uncharted 2, though.

Im_Special

So Steam now emails you about wishlist stuff, its ops you in by default so you might want to disable this before the sale starts, unless you like spam.

EfxGb.png

HoosTrax

Ewww. They should have let you set a discount threshold for sales spam. I only want to be spammed if the discount is -66% or higher.

I thought Valve was never going to stoop that low, not that I mind considering it's hard sifting through 150 wishlisted games trying to find the lowest deals.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Spec Ops: The Line's combat is supposedly not-fun for the same reason Metal Gear Solid 2's plot is confusing; by intentional design. That's what one hears anyway.

That's what shitty developers and fanboys say.

Combat is dull. It's never tense. Rather they just swarm you with some guys and you slowly keep trucking through. The AI isn't good and most of you're weapons are bland. It just exists.

I would have much preferred them to reduce it down and making it more meaningful, but they were clearly going after the shooter audience also. It would have made the plot much easier to shallow.

garath

So Steam now emails you about wishlist stuff, its ops you in by default so you might want to disable this before the sale starts, unless you like spam.

EfxGb.png

That's kinda nice. I wish amazon did that. It'll give me added incentive to make sure my wishlist is updated.

It's stooping low because a year or two ago in this very thread we were praising how Valve never does email marketing. Like I said though, I actually like this.

I would rather get a Steam pop up notification if something goes on sale.

Also, I have 3 keys for Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War. Quote if you want them

BiggNife

I thought Valve was never going to stoop that low, not that I mind considering it's hard sifting through 150 wishlisted games trying to find the lowest deals.

I dunno, I don't see it as a bad thing. It's not like those stupid Spotify emails that notify you every time someone adds a song to one of their playlists. I think email notifications regarding price drops on games I want is a good thing, but if Steam started sending me emails any time one of my friends bought a game then I'd turn off that shit in an instant like I did with the Spotify crap.

Derrick01

Banned
PC+PS3 is the best gaming setup you can have these days.

Truth. The exclusives on ps3 are crazy and then you have the games that are on both consoles but not PC, and then the PC satisfies every other need. It has been the perfect combo for me for the last 2 1/2 years.

Thx. Many of those were on my wish list so now I get em!

I have a code, as I'm sure other Diablo3 players do, for the World of Warcraft Battle Chest (+30 days play time) if anyone wants it. It's all the expansions bar the current one.

GONE.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
It's a good thing Steam keeping track of your playtime isn't a new feature, or we'd probably have people saying it is a breach of their privacy.

Volcynika

It's a good thing Steam keeping track of your playtime isn't a new feature, or we'd probably have people saying it is a breach of their privacy.

I use it to shame my brother when he plays too much of a game.

"I KNOW HOW MUCH TIME YOU HAVE SPENT ON THIS GAME! LOOK AT IT!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom