• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArjanN

Some people have higher standards then others. I play a shit load of 3rd person shooters and I have played the game twice this year so it's failings are really standing out to me.

I think second playthroughs say a lot about a games quality.

I also played Spec Ops twice, got all the achievements. :p

Not saying it's gameplay was great, it definately has it flaws but I would probably call it average at worst. I guess I feel that the sum of a game can be greater than it's individual parts, and I'm willing to take average gameplay for granted if the game as a whole gives me a worthwhile experience.

I think the combat in Spec Ops: The Line is enjoyable.(on my second playthrough now)
*shrug*

Also I've played almost every major third-person shooter this generation.
Vanquish is still tops.

tjohn86

I did play Spec Ops twice, got all the achievements. :p

Not saying it's gameplay was great, but I would probably call it average at worst. I guess I feel that the sum of a game can be greater than it's individual parts, and I'm willing to take average gameplay for granted if the game as a whole gives me a worthwhile experience.

I'll agree I've played shooters with better mechanics, but I did enjoy Spec Ops quite a bit.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It annoys me greatly when Steam suddenly decides to empty your entire cart when removing individual items.

JustinBB7

Since a week or so, Steam won't load in one go anymore. It locks up and I have to close it and restart Steam for it to work, anybody else having this? I tried deleting the blob but I still have it.

I assume you've tried deleting ClientRegistry.blob?

No, I mean, the website doesn't load. At least not fully. I have this problem across the client, every browser and every device at home. I guess it's my router.

Edit: yup, website works on iPhone over 3G D:

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I have a code, as I'm sure other Diablo3 players do, for the World of Warcraft Battle Chest (+30 days play time) if anyone wants it. It's all the expansions bar the current one.
I could bite on that. If no one else wants it, that is.

EDIT: beaten like a dead horse with the ugly stick.

Isaccard

I took this from the last Steam sale thread.

QdCKW.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
No, I mean, the website doesn't load. At least not fully. I have this problem across the client, every browser and every device at home. I guess it's my router.

Edit: yup, website works on iPhone over 3G D:

Might be an issue with/related to your ISP's DNS servers. Try switching to Google's (which you should use regardless since they're all but guaranteed to be quicker).

Aaron

There's a mod for Jade Empire that adds a ton of good stuff. Don't remember the name, but google it and it should come up right away.

Miker

Jade Empire's not bad. It's very (VERY) much a Bioware-'em-up, and whether you like it or not will depend on your tolerance for KotOR, because they're basically the same damn game, give or take the setting and combat. The combat is pretty shallow, slowly-paced, and just not very interesting overall.

The whole game is really streamlined mechanics-wise (few stats, not much variety in weapons, etc.) and is on the short side overall. I did enjoy the story for what it was - a cheesy Biowarian take on Chinese mythology - but the endgame goal and twist were pretty underwhelming. Although I did like the story arc involving
Death's Hand, the samurai-mask dude

And there's also a shitty shoot 'em up minigame you play when traveling between cities. Not sure why it exists. Maybe Bioware took a leaf out of Kamiya's page of including shitty shoot 'em ups in games that don't need them.

Kinyou

can someone explain Stronghold to me? tower defense? castle sim? rts? all of the above?
Castle sim. You have to manage your economy, train soldiers and built up your castle until it eventually gets attacked. Battles play like a RTS.

However, I can only recommend Stronghold 1 and Stronghold Crusaders, since the game never quite managed the jump into 3D. Only heard terrible, terrible things about Stronghold 2, 3, legends and all the other sequels.

Edit: Here's a nice review of Stronghold 1

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I remember enjoying Jade Empire quite a bit back in the day on Xbox, but I loved pretty much anything Bioware put out. The combat and RPG mechanics in general aren't anything to write home about, but the plot had some good moments and some of the characters didn't suck. My memory is hazy and it probably wouldn't hold up well today, but I don't think it's significantly worse than the likes of KOTOR or Mass Effect (not the highest praise, mind you).

Looks like 1080p/widescreen support is just a simple .ini tweak so I might bite.

Also, maybe it's time I finally grab Crusader Kings II complete...

Tizoc

Jade Empire's not bad. It's very (VERY) much a Bioware-'em-up, and whether you like it or not will depend on your tolerance for KotOR, because they're basically the same damn game, give or take the setting and combat. The combat is pretty shallow, slowly-paced, and just not very interesting overall.

The whole game is really streamlined mechanics-wise (few stats, not much variety in weapons, etc.) and is on the short side overall. I did enjoy the story for what it was - a cheesy Biowarian take on Chinese mythology - but the endgame goal and twist were pretty underwhelming. Although I did like the story arc involving
Death's Hand, the samurai-mask dude

And there's also a shitty shoot 'em up minigame you play when traveling between cities. Not sure why it exists. Maybe Bioware took a leaf out of Kamiya's page of including shitty shoot 'em ups in games that don't need them.

Thanks for the info, guess I'll pass on Jade Empire.

Now I'd like info on how Stronghold 1, 2 and 3 play, and how Crusader Kings 1 and 2 play.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
So has anyone taken our their runes and divined when the Winter sale will start yet?

I'm getting worried because we haven't heard anything about it yet. :/

Tried it but still doesn't work. Weird as fuck. Thanks anyway though.
Make sure you reset/power loop all your hardware and clear all the appropriate caches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom