• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you using Windows 8?

Was asleep :p. nope. I got it to work now just about. It isn't ideal but if I leave it 5 minutes when it boots it eventually shows the Namco Bandai logo and it won't crash anymore. Now my wireless controller won't work on it :(. Not a great first experience!

Eh I'll do both and see how I can make them fit the escape clause on the 1 year no buy challenge...

I'm kinda leaning more towards Spec Ops because interesting storytelling in games is one in a million.

Good shooting gameplay as well though.

At least in this generation :B

lexi

Banned
Was asleep :p. nope. I got it to work now just about. It isn't ideal but if I leave it 5 minutes when it boots it eventually shows the Namco Bandai logo and it won't crash anymore. Now my wireless controller won't work on it :(. Not a great first experience!

I'm sorry you're having this experience, Dark Souls is possibly the worst port of all time.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
No, no, just not even close. You are underestimating the shit ports that have existed previous generation.
None of them had a locked framebuffer, I think. Nor was rendered in sub-HD resolutions.

I haven't played Saints Row 2 PC, but from what I've heard it's bottom tier too.

Enco

None of them had a locked framebuffer, I think. Nor was rendered in sub-HD resolutions.

I haven't played Saints Row 2 PC, but from what I've heard it's bottom tier too.
Wow don't remind me.

That piece of shit was a fucking scam. I bought it and it was completely unplayable. I can max out almost anything but SR2 lagged and stuttered like hell. Such a complete waste of money.

Resident Evil 4 was not, but did have no mouse support, no uninstaller, looked crappier, used joystick buttons as context sensivitve buttons (so press 3 to do this or something), I believe it was also locked to 30 fps and had little to no graphics options. Devil May Cry 3 was almost the same and did not even had a quit option in the menu.

From Dust fairly recently also was locked to 30 fps, but the rest of it was fairly decent. And there are probably way more ports I am not thinking of or that I just do not know.

PaulLFC

Probably already known but...

cGp68.png

Get ready!

Phinor

I haven't seen it mentioned yet but apparently Gamestop Finland now also sells Steam wallet money. It would be even more useful if I had any console games to trade in, or better yet, if they gave reasonable value for trade-ins. But still, at least the option is there now. It's fair to assume the same is going to happen to every Gamestop in the world, if it hasn't happened already (I know U.S. got these half a year ago, Ireland was mentioned some weeks ago etc.)

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Resident Evil 4 was not, but did have no mouse support, no uninstaller, looked crappier, used joystick buttons as context sensivitve buttons (so press 3 to do this or something), I believe it was also locked to 30 fps and had little to no graphics options. Devil May Cry 3 was almost the same and did not even had a quit option in the menu.

From Dust fairly recently also was locked to 30 fps, but the rest of it was fairly decent. And there are probably way more ports I am not thinking of or that I just do not know.
Looks like there were more awful ports than I knew. I don't know how they're allowed to sell shit like that.

And I almost forgot about Metal Gear Solid 2, a game so nice it tells you to "Half-press X to aim, and LT to change weapons." Cool, I didn't know my keyboard was pressure-sensitive, nor that it had an LT key. Never mind that the setup program feels like a bazooka explosion right in the nuts.

dreamfall

A bit random, but will Prey ever get more keys on Steam? Played it on the 360 way back when, had some real nostalgia kick in for a proper PC playthrough.

Dingotech

Dang not quite cheap enough for me yet.
I know I missed the $22 offer in November, probably hoping for $20 or less. Help me out here Tony!

Just started playing Faster Than Light, what a great game it is!

So so disappointing when my second attempt was going really well and my last crew member just fell over and died after a hard fought battle... I still had 30% O2 left, so no idea why he died...

wazoo

A bit random, but will Prey ever get more keys on Steam? Played it on the 360 way back when, had some real nostalgia kick in for a proper PC playthrough.

Buy it at retail for cheap and register it on Steam, it works. That is the only way to get keys for Prey.

Tizoc

^Thanks, so that means 2 more daily deals for me, hope they'll be games I want XP

Hoping to not spend much since I bought a few things in the Autumn sale. Of course this will probably not come true.
LLShC.gif

If my calculations are correct I expect to buy LESS than $100 of content this sale.
...and I'll get Chivalry if it goes for $7.50.

BTW! can you gift away a game you bought but haven't played yet?

Megasoum

Banned
Well, Rage has fantastic FPS gameplay (I didn't mind the vehicular gameplay, either) and a nonexistent story, whereas the consensus on Spec Ops seems to be that it has mediocre TPS gameplay but the story is better than average and quite well-told.

Bah, nothing mediocre about the TPS Gameplay in Spec-ops, it's just very bland and doesn't get in the way of the story.

But yeah, not sure which one I would choose between Rage and Spec-ops. Two great games for very different reasons.

If my calculations are correct I expect to buy LESS than $100 of content this sale.
...and I'll get Chivalry if it goes for $7.50.

BTW! can you gift away a game you bought but haven't played yet?

No, you have to buy it as a gift. Once it is in your library it is stuck there. Forever!

atomico

Hey GAF, about the DMC games:

DMC3: Does it have Xbox 360 controller support? Dunno when the PC version came out, but the PS2 version was way before that time.

DMC4: Do you need to finish the story in order to access that 100 level survival/challenge mode? Been a while since I played the PS3 version.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Don't think so. But you can buy a digital copy from here, which redeems on Steam: GamesPlanet.com.

It even comes with 2 keys, for the price of one. And yes, both work fine, I got my copy from there and had zero problems.

Dang not quite cheap enough for me yet.
I know I missed the $22 offer in November, probably hoping for $20 or less. Help me out here Tony!
You're out of luck, they don't carry DD Bethesda games.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Bah, nothing mediocre about the TPS Gameplay in Spec-ops, it's just very bland and doesn't get in the way of the story.

But yeah, not sure which one I would choose between Rage and Spec-ops. Two great games for very different reasons.

Aren't bland and mediocre kind of the same thing? The combat in Spec Ops is bland and mediocre in my opinion. The cover system is a poor man's Gears of War. It doesn't hold up under pressure and can be a real liability on the higher difficulties. The scenario design consistently uses twice the number of enemies necessary for each encounter. It drags situations out for too long and makes the combat tiring as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom