• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munin

Paradox why don't you price drop the CK2 DLC as well :( I mean the real expansions, not the random faces, music and unit skins.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Nah, nothing seems to work. I guess I'll just wait and see if it works tomorrow. Must be something on my ISPs side.

Go to the Windows Command Line (quickest way is pressing Windows Key + R, typing "cmd" an pressing enter). Type "nslookup steampowered.com" Your answer should be something along these lines:

Code:
C:\Users\Rain>nslookup steampowered.com
Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address:  8.8.8.8

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    steampowered.com
Address:  208.64.202.68

The first two lines are the DNS Server you're using. The last three lines are the ip returned by the DNS server. If it's anything different than that, there's something wrong. You could be having a DNS Cache issue (which is fixed by typing "ipconfig /flushdns").

You could also trace your path to the servers. Type "tracert steampowered.com" and/or "tracert 208.64.202.68" on a Windows Command Line and wait a while. You should get a trace with all the hops your packets do to get to Valve's servers. You can check if they're stopping somewhere (for instance, by your isp). You could also just have a routing problem.

If nothing works, or if the IP that gets resolved is not the one pasted above, your hosts file could have been modified. Check it's contents on "%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\" (it's a text file, so don't worry) and see if there's an entry for "steampowered.com". You must remove it if there's one.

Tizoc

Soooooooooooo I'm thinking of getting Stronghold Collection and Crusader Knights 1+2, but what genre are these games? RTS, Tower defense?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
2 days till the Winter Seal. 2 days till my wallet cries. 2 days till my backlog increases and my playtime decreases.

Derrick01

Banned
Don't buy jade empire. It's the real beginning of bioware's downfall. Kotor technically started it but JE was the real disaster. The combat is comparable to fable's dumbass 1 button combat.

Miker

Don't buy jade empire. It's the real beginning of bioware's downfall. Kotor technically started it but JE was the real disaster. The combat is comparable to fable's dumbass 1 button combat.

For $3.74, you could do worse, but at this point, I'm not sure who still wants more Bioware in their life when there's KotOR, Dragon Age, and Mass Effect out there.

No, you're just in time. The gamehipster hype for this pile of garbage is still in full swing.

I'd rather play a charming pile of garbage like Binary Domain than Gears 1/2 or even Uncharted 1. It's probably my third favorite third person shooter behind Vanquish and Max Payne 2.

Go to the Windows Command Line (quickest way is pressing Windows Key + R, typing "cmd" an pressing enter). Type "nslookup steampowered.com" Your answer should be something along these lines:

Code:
C:\Users\Rain>nslookup steampowered.com
Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address:  8.8.8.8

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    steampowered.com
Address:  208.64.202.68

The first two lines are the DNS Server you're using. The last three lines are the ip returned by the DNS server. If it's anything different than that, there's something wrong. You could be having a DNS Cache issue (which is fixed by typing "ipconfig /flushdns").

You could also trace your path to the servers. Type "tracert steampowered.com" and/or "tracert 208.64.202.68" on a Windows Command Line and wait a while. You should get a trace with all the hops your packets do to get to Valve's servers. You can check if they're stopping somewhere (for instance, by your isp). You could also just have a routing problem.

If nothing works, or if the IP that gets resolved is not the one pasted above, your hosts file could have been modified. Check it's contents on "%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\" (it's a text file, so don't worry) and see if there's an entry for "steampowered.com". You must remove it if there's one.

nslookup gives me this:

Code:
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  2001:4860:4860::8888

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to UnKnown timed-out

ipconfig /flushdns didn't help either

tracert gives me a "Request timed out" at the 9th entry :/

Edit: It finally works! Thanks for trying to help, much appreciated :)

Sober

Paradox why don't you price drop the CK2 DLC as well :( I mean the real expansions, not the random faces, music and unit skins.
Sword of Islam and Legacy of Rome are on sale, those are the ones that open up more factions or change them a bit. Also the ruler designer is needed for some mods or something IIRC. (or maybe it was Mongol faces, not sure)

JustinBB7

Are you in the beta? Maybe try opting out if so.

I was in the big picture mode beta a few months ago, but it made my Steam crash so I signed out of that one. When that came live I was fine though. Just randomly started since a week, no idea what it could be. Just ran Steamcleaner as well maybe that will do something.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Anyone interested in free stuff? Quote to reveal.

Serious Sam: The Random Encounter
Offspring Fling
Brazen Prototype
Brazen Prototype
Metro 2033

Munin

Sword of Islam and Legacy of Rome are on sale, those are the ones that open up more factions or change them a bit. Also the ruler designer is needed for some mods or something IIRC. (or maybe it was Mongol faces, not sure)

Huh, didn't see that. Bought.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Dude, do you even like any game that doesn't involve cash that bleeds, or a person that punches?

How did you fix it? It seems you don't have a DNS registered. It also seems you're also using IPv6 network?

It fixed it by itself somehow. I just followed the instructions in JaseC's link and added those Google DNSes. I tried both since IPv4 didn't fix it and must have forgotten to take it out. Should I remove the IPv6 DNS?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Still would like to have more impressions please, how is it compared to other RTS games like Age of Empires, etc., what makes them unique and such.

I can't help you there, since I don't play games. CK2 in particular does have a demo on Steam, though, so you could play it to familiarise yourself with its intricacies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom