• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingKong

man all this new DLC coming out just makes me not want to buy games new and wait a year for the deep steam sale since I have so little desire to go back to Borderlands 2 or Sleeping Dogs or RAGE or even Assassins Creed 3

Any comments/recommendations regarding Last Remnant? <$4.00 is my impulse buy territory regardless of backlog, so as long as this thing is worth playing eventually it'll sit happily in my steam library til then.

Here's my review of the (wildly-inferior) 360 version.
http://pepsimanvsjoe.blogspot.com/2009/12/xbox-360-look-last-remnant.html

I think its great. I have the PC version now and it is wonderful, though it feels more difficult. Then again I'm not too far in.

zkylon

zkylewd
Not digging the battle system. Watching a few vids, might pass on this then
The battle system is fun, but it can feel random and you can tell it's overcomplicated just for the sake of it. Not having complete control of what you can do is just a fatal flaw...

I may go back to it someday, but to me the dungeon design and story felt uninspired and they gave me that "seen it a million times before" feeling, and the combat was fun and Emma is great, but ultimately they didn't manage to carry the game for me.

For 5 bucks you can give it a shot and maybe you'll like it, but anything more than that (I got it for 10) I'd say it's a pass.

Giran

Any comments/recommendations regarding Last Remnant? <$4.00 is my impulse buy territory regardless of backlog, so as long as this thing is worth playing eventually it'll sit happily in my steam library til then.

I think it's okay but a lot of the mechanics are obscure and others are just plain frustrating. It's like 60 hours of content though, so I'd still call it a steal and recommend picking it up.

I think it's okay but a lot of the mechanics are obscure and others are just plain frustrating. It's like 60 hours of content though, so I'd call it a steal and recommend picking it up.

I never understand this reasoning. If it's "okay" and frustrating, why is it positive that it's 60 hours long? I doubt any of use here are actually lacking things to play.
If anything, a game being 60 hours long make me less interested, even moreso if it's mediocre.

For the price that you can get excellent gaming content (especially considering the coming sale) $/hour means absolutely nothing.

Giran

I never understand this reasoning. If it's "okay" and frustrating, why is it positive that it's 60 hours long? I doubt any of use here are actually lacking things to play.
If anything, a game being 60 hours long make me less interested, even moreso if it's mediocre.

For the price that you can get excellent gaming content (especially considering the coming sale) $/hour means absolutely nothing.

He asked if it's worth playing. Not if he can get something better. Besides, there are people who love the shit out of it. I only found it okay due to some design decisions but well worth playing nonetheless.

Kinyou

Still would like to have more impressions please, how is it compared to other RTS games like Age of Empires, etc., what makes them unique and such.
I posted this earlier; The guy does a good job at explaining Stronghold's unique aspects: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVE8QXj5hrw

In my opinion are Stronghold 1 and Stronghold crusaders timeless classics. But I heard only bad things about the sequels, so I'm not sure if the collection is worth it.

You needn't worry about that until Cacpcom releases a game without spelling mistakes.

Nah the world will end when Capcom launches a game without Games for Windo--...

*checks DMC steam store page*

HOLY FUCK WE ARE DOOMED, MAX OUT YOUR CREDIT CARDS WHILE WE STILL CAN.

Petrie

Banned
Of course Steam is taunting me. Won't have the $$ till later this week, so of course send me an email to let me know crusaders Kings 2 is on sale from my wishlist. Hope its in the holiday sale. :(

Khaz

Of course Steam is taunting me. Won't have the $$ till later this week, so of course send me an email to let me know crusaders Kings 2 is on sale from my wishlist. Hope its in the holiday sale. :(

Yeah, I've got an e-mail from Steam Wishlist as well. They want our money :/

Miker

It would be a lot more charming if it didn't run like a choppy mess on my AMD card. Not sure if that ever got fixed but I'll pick it up if it does.

They didn't fix it. That said, it's not a choppy mess until you get into crazy-ass sequences. Otherwise, it'll run at ~55-60 fps. I'm still pissed off, but it didn't stop me from finishing and enjoying the game.

dreamfall

I just finished Spec Ops: The Line and it was really unsettling. Harrowing tales of debasement of humanity in war.

I need the Steam Sale now! Something fun to counter the horrors !

1-D_FTW

Should have listened to the Sine Mora haters. Went back to this game and it's officially in my "Games I Hate" category. Whoever said the balance was total trash nailed it.

For those of you who bought the Amnesia Fortnight bundle and activated the Steam key for the Costume Quest/Happy Song prototypes, you should have all of the new prototypes in your library now. If not, try restarting Steam.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
For those of you who bought the Amnesia Fortnight bundle and activated the Steam key for the Costume Quest/Happy Song prototypes, you should have all of the new prototypes in your library now. If not, try restarting Steam.
Thank you based DP. Downloading them right now.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
They didn't fix it. That said, it's not a choppy mess until you get into crazy-ass sequences. Otherwise, it'll run at ~55-60 fps. I'm still pissed off, but it didn't stop me from finishing and enjoying the game.
Runs at about half that on my 5850, with or without Crossfire. It has something to do with the particle system.

Spec Ops is so booooring. Run from A to B and shootbang. I think I'm done with military shooters for good after this.
I should just watch the ending on the youtubes or something.

Beat and delete for sure.

dk_

Spec Ops is so booooring. Run from A to B and shootbang. I think I'm done with military shooters for good after this.
I should just watch the ending on the youtubes or something.

Beat and delete for sure.

Yeah, pretty overhyped game on GAF. I was disappointed when I played it and I understand/comprehend your sentiments.

So, uh, thanks for banning me from the Steam chat dudes. Just trying to play along with some dude who gave me shit for my username.

Guess I'll have to make eyes at Salsa in the drunk thread only from now on.

I've been kicked from there. They're a fickle bunch, and I didn't find their conversation particularly interesting anyway -- the few times I've dropped in, at least. That, and it makes my Steam icon constantly flash, which is kinda annoying.

*shrug* I don't think you're really missing out.

Miker

Runs at about half that on my 5850, with or without Crossfire. It has something to do with the particle system.

Ah, I'm running it with a 7850. And yeah, it's definitely the particles. It really is one of those bizarre games where AMD users are completely screwed over compared to Nvidia users. I wasn't too bothered about driver support difference between the two companies (after previously owning a GTX 260) until I played Binary Domain.

jediyoshi

Yeah, pretty overhyped game on GAF. I was disappointed when I played it and I understand/comprehend your sentiments.

The gameplay itself was never the appeal of the game, someone lied to you otherwise as I don't think anyone here would be willing to argue outside of it being average at best.

I recommend Crusader Kings 2 very, very highly.

I see a lot of recommendation for this game, can I ask for anyone who's played both Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis, would you rate one over the other? Or how would you compare the differences?

I'm wondering about which might be a good entry point for my first 'Grand Strategy' (said in a posh and booming accent that rolls the Rs)

Grief.exe

First impressions of rage I really like it.

I didn't get too much time to play it since I was messing around with the fov and getting my sensitivity set.

But the gameplay is really solid. Especially coming from spec ops where its pretty bad.

The gameplay itself was never the appeal of the game, someone lied to you otherwise as I don't think anyone here would be willing to argue outside of it being average at best.

Then it shouldn't be a game but a movie. "Gameplay was never the appeal" shouldn't be something you can say about a videogame.

Nabs

I used to go on there a lot and it was fun. This time they just bitched about GAF users and then some dude gave me shit about my username being too long so I changed it to ":D" and make a couple harmless jokes about my new one being shorter than his. Then some random guy says "who is this douche" and bans me.

Pretty lame. It was fun to get on there during sales and such and shoot the shit like a year ago.

Damn. Steam Chat sounds like a horrible place. Why are they so mean?

Cade

I used to go on there a lot and it was fun. This time they just bitched about GAF users and then some dude gave me shit about my username being too long so I changed it to ":D" and make a couple harmless jokes about my new one being shorter than his. Then some random guy says "who is this douche" and bans me.

Pretty lame. It was fun to get on there during sales and such and shoot the shit like a year ago.

GAF chat is a hive of scum and villainy but bans don't really stick, either.

Damn. Steam Chat sounds like a horrible place. Why are they so mean?
It's certainly something.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So, uh, thanks for banning me from the Steam chat dudes. Just trying to play along with some dude who gave me shit for my username.

Guess I'll have to make eyes at Salsa in the drunk thread only from now on.

Your first mistake was going to GAF Group Steam chat .

jediyoshi

Then it shouldn't be a game but a movie. "Gameplay was never the appeal" shouldn't be something you can say about a videogame.

Ok? But if you're getting confused about why it was getting hyped up at all in the first place, it's worth pointing out the actual relevant parts people were talking about at all.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Is GAF Steam Chat that bad? I went there yesterday (or 2 days ago) and no one was talking. Didn't seem like a scary bunch to me.

Ah, I'm running it with a 7850. And yeah, it's definitely the particles. It really is one of those bizarre games where AMD users are completely screwed over compared to Nvidia users. I wasn't too bothered about driver support difference between the two companies (after previously owning a GTX 260) until I played Binary Domain.

My worst experience as an AMD user was with Sonic & Sega All Star Racing. It's a fucking mess.

I really hope Sega fixes this with the sequel because I actually liked the game a lot :(

Munin

I see a lot of recommendation for this game, can I ask for anyone who's played both Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis, would you rate one over the other? Or how would you compare the differences?

I'm wondering about which might be a good entry point for my first 'Grand Strategy' (said in a posh and booming accent that rolls the Rs)

CK2 is more polished. It's set from roughly 1000 to 1400 while EU3 is set from roughly 1400 to 1800 (you can actually convert your CK2 save at the end of the game - if you manage that far - to a EU3 save and keep playing in EU3). The focus is far more on actual people, diplomacy and intrigue and less on military and economic stuff, so it's kind of unique in that way.

I think CK2 is a good entry point really, not least because the EU3 tutorials are terrible and CK2 has tooltips for everything and a far better GUI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom