• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedi2016

So quick question.. I think this is obvious, but I wanted a second opinion since it doesn't seem to make it into the Steam sale threads.

We all know the rule about "Wait for the Daily Deal". But what about Flash Deals? They appear to be the same discounts applied during Daily Deals. Does that rule apply there as well, if you see it in a Flash Deal, grab it?

So quick question.. I think this is obvious, but I wanted a second opinion since it doesn't seem to make it into the Steam sale threads.

We all know the rule about "Wait for the Daily Deal". But what about Flash Deals? They appear to be the same discounts applied during Daily Deals. Does that rule apply there as well, if you see it in a Flash Deal, grab it?

If you see a flash deal, get it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

So far the only instance where a Flash Sale offered a greater discount than a Daily Deal was during the Summer Sale, when Saints Row 3 Complete was discounted by 91% or so on Steam AU.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

75% rule takes precedence.

Jedi2016

So far the only instance where a Flash Sale offered a greater discount than a Daily Deal was during the Summer Sale, when Saints Row 3 Complete was discounted by 91% or so on Steam AU.
But they do often offer the same discount. I actually picked up a game during the summer sale that I'd missed during the Daily (I had seen it, but didn't get it), then it was up on a Flash sale on the last day, at the same 75% discount.

JaseC

But they do often offer the same discount. I actually picked up a game during the summer sale that I'd missed during the Daily (I had seen it, but didn't get it), then it was up on a Flash sale on the last day, at the same 75% discount.

That's precisely my point -- a Flash Sale and a Daily Deal are going to be at parity unless a mistake is made.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Where did you host? All I get for the image is a square that leads to a 403..try minus!

It shows up fine for me.

This just times out at my end.

Nope..oh well!

Host it here than I can see it =p

View it on the website and it'll show up fine: http://gif.mocksession.com/2012/12/excited-dude/

It's not even that good. The person in the gif isn't doing the duggie or anything.

What drizzle said is true. If you see a flash with a measly 33% off disc you regularly don't want to buy it (of course there might be exceptions, the game could be new or whatever). Flash deals at 75% off or more are safe to act upon since most dailies will be around that anyway. I don't see outrageous 90% off discounts anymore (Alpha Protocol $2).

Jedi2016

That's precisely my point -- a Flash Sale and a Daily Deal are going to be at parity unless a mistake is made.
I never said otherwise. My OP said "same discount", not "better discount". I was asking if Flash sales should be lumped into the "if you see it, grab it" rule. Whoever makes the Winter Sale thread should add that to the OP.. the last few threads haven't mentioned Flash sales at all.

JaseC

well that was....underwhelming :D

The difficulty in viewing the gif and the resulting disappointment when it was finally seen is a metaphor for Half-Life 3's protracted development and the pessimistic assumption regarding how it's to be received by fans.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
What if flash sales only existed in your mind and that's why the previous threads didn't mention them. Everyone here is just playing along with your elaborate fantasy as a sick and twisted Steam thread experiment.

The difficulty in viewing the gif and the resulting disappointment when it was finally seen is a metaphor for Half-Life 3's protracted development and the pessimistic assumption regarding how it's to be received by fans.
BTW HL3 already came out 2 years ago, but the Australian government censored everything about it, even on the Internet, due to violence. Sorry you missed out bro, it was top-tier. I don't know if this will get through their censor to you.

What if flash sales only existed in your mind and that's why the previous threads didn't mention them. Everyone here is just playing along with your elaborate fantasy as a sick and twisted Steam thread experiment.
I dreamed that JaseC was on sale and I bought him along with his Steam account.

JaseC

I never said otherwise.

I know, I just agreed with you.

My OP said "same discount", not "better discount". I was asking if Flash sales should be lumped into the "if you see it, grab it" rule. Whoever makes the Winter Sale thread should add that to the OP.. the last few threads haven't mentioned Flash sales at all.

And the singular example I provided where the Flash Sale offered a better discount was intended to convey an implicit, "Yes, the Golden Rule does apply to Flash Sales."

feel

Here's a superior one:

ibdD3UCVk6nA4I.gif
Alright what's this about? Youtube link?

KingKong

So I traded with someone for Crusader Kings 2,

which DLC should I get? Just Legacy of Rome and Sword of Islam? I remember reading that Ruler Designer is needed for some mods but maybe thats wrong

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
BTW HL3 already came out 2 years ago, but the Australian government censored everything about it, even on the Internet, due to violence. Sorry you missed out bro, it was top-tier. I don't know if this will get through their censor to you.

Jasec hasn't responded to this which means that his government did censor it. Everyone point and laugh.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
That's strange, considering there are separate subs for the War Z + Currency bundles. Anyway, DLC that doesn't actually provide any additional content is DLC I can live without. ;)
Will your conscience rest at peace knowing you didn't buy every DLC for that game?

I dreamed that JaseC was on sale and I bought him her along with his her Steam account.
Is she on sale? I'd get her, but only at 50% off or less. Would like to increase my backlog there.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I never said otherwise. My OP said "same discount", not "better discount". I was asking if Flash sales should be lumped into the "if you see it, grab it" rule. Whoever makes the Winter Sale thread should add that to the OP.. the last few threads haven't mentioned Flash sales at all.
From what I understand it's either "wait for Flash Sales/Daily Deals/Community Choice" (don't know if the latter will happen again) or "wait for 75%", whatever happens first.

I'm kind of with JaseC with regards to the War Z. I kind of want it before it is pulled. I keep thinking about getting a copy for me and a friend to do some video with so it is not a complete waste!

JaseC

Just get it all it's all discounted anyway.

This is the correct approach. ;) Although, if that's not possible:

DLCs needed are, Sword of Islam, Legacy of Rome and maybe Sunset Invasion, rest is cosmetic.

I'm not entirely sure if you need the Ruler Designer DLC for some mods; a cursory GS didn't yield anything definitive. It's a little more than a buck, though, so it couldn't hurt to be on the safe side.

kswiston

I have been waiting a long time for a good price on Heroes 6, but seeing that HOMM bundle registry entry has me nervous that Ubisoft will again offer a shitty 25-50% off discount on the game, and expect people to buy it in the bundle along with HOMM5 and Clash of Heroes to get a better deal. I already have the other two :/

GOG does bundles right. If you already own some of the games, you can get the bundle discount on the remaining items you are lacking.

Nabs

Hey JaseC, WarZ has already been removed from the front page rotation. How long before they remove the buy button? You might want to hurry up.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Hey JaseC, WarZ has already been removed from the front page rotation. How long before they remove the buy button? You might want to hurry up.

Is the Steam Prison Economy ready for an influx of WarZ gift stockpiling?

I bought Binding of Isaac after the last sale's daily deal. Then it turned up in the final flash sale. Only £1 but yeah. I say flash sales are on par.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom