• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I wouldn't be surprised if it is an almost automatic thing, with the number of complaints in the forums and the (probable) number of requests for a refund.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I think they have to leave it up for the people who already bought it.

I don't think that's required. The few games I have that are no longer sold on Steam don't link to a store page anymore, just the home page.

I really really wish Dead Rising 2 got cheaper than Dead Rising 2 OTA. I want both, godammit!

I can empathise. I sold my PS3 editions of the game in preparation for the full glory of Dead Rising 2 in 1080p 60fps (not to mention the PS3 versions were horrible), only to find that Capcom had priced them ludicrously high in the UK Steam store; both were £19.99. My rule of thumb is if I can pick it up cheaper in CEX or GAME on a console, I won't buy it for PC. I really hope they get a sales discount, as I was halfway through my PS3 playthrough before I aborted. Would love to pick it up again, whilst it's still fresh in my memory.

Raided the last of my GAME cards (had 7.65 across 2 of them) to add another tenner to my steam wallet. I'll go into this sale with £110. I expect to leave with nothing (well, apart from a backlog of games which I'll never get through).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think they have to leave it up for the people who already bought it.

While the actual game data remains so existing owners can continue to install the game at their leisure, store pages are eventually pulled if the game shows no signs of returning. See: Prey.

Shepard

Hey guys, I'm on a dilemma right now. I bought The Last Remnant on Gamersgate yesterday, I really liked it when I played it a while back. The thing is, the loading times suck in my pc (it's actually a widespread bug with some dual core machines, fixed on Windows Vista, not on Windows 7)s, I've stumbled on lots of possible fixes, like setting the affinity of the CPU to just 1 core and everything, none fixed the issue. So today, browsing orkut (I know), I found a guy talking about how the cracked .exe has better loading times, I downloaded it to test, and it really is way better than the original one, loading that sometimes took me 20-25sec, now are done in 3-4sec. What I want to know is if it is safe for me to use the cracked exe, even if my game is all legal. Can I lose my account, the game or anything related??

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I wonder if Sleppy Dawgs will ever get a GOY edition with all DLC, and if I should just wait for that instead of buying it this Winter Sale.

Those are the hard choices I'm presented with on a daily basis.

Hey guys, I'm on a dilemma right now. I bought The Last Remnant on Gamersgate yesterday, I really liked it when I played it a while back. The thing is, the loading times suck in my pc (it's actually a widespread bug with some dual core machines, fixed on Windows Vista, not on Windows 7)s, I've stumbled on lots of possible fixes, like setting the affinity of the CPU to just 1 core and everything, none fixed the issue. So today, browsing orkut (I know), I found a guy talking about how the cracked .exe has better loading times, I downloaded it to test, and it really is way better than the original one, loading that sometimes took me 20-25sec, now are done in 3-4sec. What I want to know is if it is safe for me to use the cracked exe, even if my game is all legal. Can I lose my account, the game or anything related??

You're fine. Just don't "verify game cache" on Steam, because it will overwrite your .exe file.

Which just means you'll have to re-replace it. No biggie.

JaseC

No, you won't have your account restricted for using a cracked executable. So long as you're not cheating online in a VAC game, Valve couldn't care less about (or even know) what you do with a game's files.

kswiston

I wonder if Sleppy Dawgs will ever get a GOY edition with all DLC, and if I should just wait for that instead of buying it this Winter Sale.

Those are the hard choices I'm presented with on a daily basis.

I highly expect Sleeping Dogs to be dirt cheap during Amazon's Editor's Choice sale in January, when all of those $5 credits we got last month can be used.

I'm going to wait on that and X-Com unless they get (very unlikely) 75% off sales during the dailies.

Shepard

You're fine. Just don't "verify game cache" on Steam, because it will overwrite your .exe file.

Which just means you'll have to re-replace it. No biggie.

No, you won't get have your account restricted for using a cracked executable. So long as you're not cheating online in a VAC game, Valve couldn't care less about (or even know) what you do with a game's files.

Thanks there! :) Loading times were driving me insane.

JaseC

I can rejoice, for The War Z will return:

Statement from Valve

From time to time a mistake can be made and one was made by prematurely issuing a copy of War Z for sale via Steam. We apologize for this and have [temporarily] removed the sale offering of the title until we have time to work with the developer and have confidence in a new build. Those who purchase the game and wish to continue playing it via Steam may do so. Those who purchased the title via Steam and are unhappy with what they received may seek a refund by creating a ticket at our support site here.

That was a close one!

yaron777

From time to time a mistake can be made and one was made by prematurely issuing a copy of War Z for sale via Steam. We apologize for this and have temporary removed the sale offering of the title until we have time to work with the developer and have confidence in a new build. Those who purchase the game and wish to continue playing it via Steam may do so. Those who purchased the title via Steam and are unhappy with what they received may seek a refund by creating a ticket at our support site here.

From Kotaku

Goddamn, JaseC :(

Tizoc

STEAM SEAL!
I AM READY FOR THEE!
xeZRB.gif

GARAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Wok

I expect the "best" discount to be on the first day of the sales. But I don't know on which game yet, I bet one of these:
  1. far cry 3 -33%
  2. black ops II -75%
  3. football manager 2013 -33%
  4. assassin's creed III -33%
  5. borderlands 2 -75%
  6. xcom -50%
  7. the walking dead -66%
  8. hitman absolution -33%
  9. dishonored -50%
  10. dark souls -66%
  11. train simulator 2013 -50%

HoosTrax

Bad form allowing Hammerpoint to bypass Greenlight, considering they have no track record that I'm aware of. (although, it's possible that they might have snuck in and got the go-ahead before the normal submission process was removed in August)

It's good but pretty basic.

Ha, sounds right up my alley. I haven't done any research yet, because it was simply seeing it on Steam that made me think, "I really need budget software."

If it is basic, is it good value for the money? Are there any free or cheaper alternatives that are also pretty basic? I'll have to dig around some more myself. I bet the first thing the software tells you when it opens up is "DO NOT BUY RANDOM THINGS ON STEAM"...

kswiston

I expect the "best" discount to be on the first day of the sales. But I don't know on which game yet, I bet one of these:
  1. far cry 3 -33%
    [*]black ops II -75%
  2. football manager 2013 -33%
  3. assassin's creed III
  4. borderlands 2
  5. xcom
  6. the walking dead
  7. hitman absolution
  8. dishonored -50%
  9. dark souls
  10. train simulator 2013

Perhaps for the 2015 winter sale. I don't think Activision has even offered BLOPS 1 for $15 yet.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Bad form allowing Hammerpoint to bypass Greenlight, considering they have no track record that I'm aware of. (although, it's possible that they might have snuck in and got the go-ahead before the normal submission process was removed in August)

Supposedly they did. Someone mentioned that another game that they dev'd is already on the store.

Wok

Perhaps for the 2015 winter sale. I don't think Activision has even offered BLOPS 1 for $15 yet.

Steamprices lists the game for $20 on one specific day (August, 30th 2012). It must be a bug then.

My guess then is one of these will be up for tomorrow:

1. borderlands 2 -75%
  2. dark souls -66%
  3. the walking dead -66%
  4. dishonored -50%
  5. train simulator 2013 -50%
  6. xcom -50%
  7. far cry 3 -33%
  8. football manager 2013 -33%
  9. assassin's creed III -33%
  10. hitman absolution -33%

And the most likely would be either xcom or dishonored with a 50% discount.

JaseC

That's another game you'll never get. Sad day indeed :(

Valve's statement above says the removal is temporary... although, its reinstatement is contingent upon providing an adequate build and who knows if the devs are up to the task. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom