• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneB

3 hours until the sale thread is too fast to keep up with, and every post asking "should I get game x?!?!'

I can't wait.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
3 hours until the sale thread is too fast to keep up with, and every post asking "should I get game x?!?!'

I can't wait.

I'm just going to start arguing against every game someone asks about. Even the ones I like.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I can't keep up with sales threads mentally so I don't bother. Too fast paced for me + no one listens to recommendations so it's like talking to a brick wall.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That is why I use a wired 360 pad.

Buying a knock-off wireless receiver and using it with my existing wireless X360 controllers was notably cheaper than purchasing an additional, wired controller. Mind you, I've probably spent more than ~$40 on batteries since then, although I did recently purchase a recharge pack, the arrival of which is late.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Buying a knock-off wireless receiver and using it with my existing wireless X360 controllers was notably cheaper than purchasing an additional, wired controller. Mind you, I've probably spent more than ~$40 on batteries since then, although I did recently purchase a recharge pack, the arrival of which is late.

It also caused you to put down Mark of the Ninja.

morningbus

Hoping for The Movies to go on sale.

ibtwxviT3Ak0jb.gif

Xdrive05

Q about flash sales: if a game comes up in a flash sale, is that the last time its in a flash sale? I know they have daily sales and voting sales where it could still show up again, but is there only one flash sale per game?

DTKT

Q about flash sales: if a game comes up in a flash sale, is that the last time its in a flash sale? I know they have daily sales and voting sales where it could still show up again, but is there only one flash sale per game?

There is usually a recap at the end of the sale. It's possible that it comes back up.

JaseC

No, Flash Sales tend to repeat.

nexen

With THQ dying, what do you think the chances are on Darksiders II getting a deep discount? I really hope it hits a decent price-point for my interest level before it gets locked up in legal limbo.

There might be a recap flash sale for dailies and flashes last day of sales.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

And then your battery pack will stop working 5 months down the line.

The proper solution to this problem is eneloops.

With THQ dying, what do you think the chances are on Darksiders II getting a deep discount? I really hope it hits a decent price-point for my interest level before it gets locked up in legal limbo.

Darksiders bundle (Darksiders 1, Darksiders 2, Season Pass and all the DLC) steam redeemable with separate keys (so you can give away the duplicates, like Darksiders 1) on Amazon for $13 and change is not enough?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00APOVDDY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

morningbus

Pretty good, but it probably won't be as good as Amazon's current sale.

Plus, the kind of bankruptcy THQ is going through isn't the kind that will leave their games in limbo like Kingdoms of Amalur

So that gigantic indie pack plus the recent Humble Bundle now offering separate keys for everything got me to thinking:

What's the likelihood one or more Steam Seal bundles will let you gift games out of the package individually? It's not completely unprecedented; I believe the Potato pack allowed you to give away games you already had.

It just seems like being able to apportion out a big pile of gifts would be a very Christmassy thing to do.

No, Flash Sales tend to repeat.

Unless it's Capcom

Not sure if it was Dead Rising 2 or SFIV... Either way, I remember one of them not being on sale at all then showing up as a flash sale during the Summer sale, never to appear again.

The only thing that can be said about the flash sales is that that price is the cheapest a game is going to be during the sale.

Gueras

Banned
I'm ready!
WISHLIST:
- Far Cry 3
- Hitman Collection
- Torchlight 2
- Back to the future
- Dead Rising 2
- Devil may cry 4
- Rayman Origins
- Alpha Protocol
- Just Cause 2
- Mark of Ninja
- Deadlight
- Kingdoms of Amalur

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm going to specifically recommend *not* picking up Back to the Future and Deadlight off that list. They were massive disappoints to me.

Abyssal Forge is not part of the Season Pass.

JaseC

Unless it's Capcom

Not sure if it was Dead Rising 2 or SFIV... Either way, I remember one of them not being on sale at all then showing up as a flash sale during the Summer sale, never to appear again.

The only thing that can be said about the flash sales is that that price is the cheapest a game is going to be during the sale.

True, which is why I was sure to mention "tend to". ;)

I'm ready!
WISHLIST:
- Far Cry 3
- Hitman Collection
- Torchlight 2
- Back to the future
- Dead Rising 2
- Devil may cry 4
- Rayman Origins
- Alpha Protocol
- Just Cause 2
- Mark of Ninja
- Deadlight
- Kingdoms of Amalur

Don't count on it.

The thing I want most is Rayman Origins for <10€ and I see a good chance of it being 7.50€. There's a lot of other small things I want but I'm really looking forward to this one.

ShaneB

I figure asking this question is almost suited for an entirely new thread, but has any developer/publisher been really outspoken about how much profit is brought in from all these sales?

I know smaller indie devs have spoken out about huge profit boosts when launching on steam or when game x goes on sale, but has any larger developer said anything? I'd imagine not because then it would bring about questions of game pricing when at price x means big profits. edit: and I guess THQ openly said how much money was brought in by their bundle, but they were in an odd position to do so.

It also has to do with pricing for sales I suppose, we've gotten so use to deep discounts. If a game launches at 20$, I'm still inclined to wait and know it'll be cheaper on a sale.

morningbus

Whoah whoah whoah, The Movies is on Steam? I played the demo of it when I was younger and loved it.

See, people hate Stallion Free for being upfront and curt, but this right here proves that the true face of evil hides behind a pixelated dog.

JaseC

I figure asking this question is almost suited for an entirely new thread, but has any developer/publisher been really outspoken about how much profit is brought in from all these sales?

I know smaller indie devs have spoken out about huge profit boosts when launching on steam or when game x goes on sale, but has any larger developer said anything? I'd imagine not because then it would bring about questions of game pricing when at price x means big profits.

It also has to do with pricing for sales I suppose, we've gotten so use to deep discounts. If a game launches at 20$, I'm still inclined to wait and know it'll be cheaper on a sale.

Not to my knowledge. The closest to that is Valve mentioning revenue generated during the Christmas/Winter Sale period being up by x% compared to the year before.

I'm going to specifically recommend *not* picking up Back to the Future and Deadlight off that list. They were massive disappoints to me.

Abyssal Forge is not part of the Season Pass.

I'm not sure. I added the season pass from the Amazon code and it seemed to add Abyssal Forge to the list of retail DLC. I tried adding the extra code provided for AF from Amazon and Steam said I already owned it.

feel

I hope CSGO gets a 50% discount from the getgo, got banned from Ranked matchmaking for a week* and I need to buy it asap to continue playing on my alt account, I'm too addicted.

* power went out for 5 min in the middle of a match, it was a week because it was considered a repeat offense after I last week got a 24h ban because a server crapped out and wouldn't let me reconnect to it. Yeah the ban system is terrible, a lot of people keep doing lengthy ban because of errors from the game (like BSOD caused by the csgo.exe). :/

nexen

!

I didn't know about the Amazon deal on Darksiders II. Was waiting for $10 or less but this is close enough, given impending THQ doom.

Thanks all!

ShaneB

Not to my knowledge. The closest to that is Valve mentioning revenue generated during the Christmas/Winter Sale period being up by x% compared to the year before.

Yeah, I didn't think so. It's a bit of a catch 22 as I mentioned. If there are big profit increases for these sales, why isn't the base price of these games lower? But like I said, we've all become sales driven, if the base price is lower, we'll still wait for that big sale discount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom