• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexen

I wouldn't recommend Darksiders 2 then TBH.

Don't play 2 then, it's the definition of repetitive. 25 hours of fetch quests within fetch quests, garbage loot, piss easy dungeons, and no story at all. It's a trash game on all fronts.

Yes,yes,yes. Nobody can deny it.

Ehhh... [eases finger off of the trigger] ok, I'll save for the Steam sale then.

Oh, great, my favourite kind of cliffhanger, the completely unresolved one that will, and let's be honest here, never ever be resolved because the series bombed completely at retail. I wish developers would just fuck off with these cliffhanger endings; they're incredibly annoying. And on that bombshell, Darksiders has fallen to the bottom of my backlog pile.

I'm still waiting to find out what happens after Manhunter 2. GODDAMNIT SIERRA.

Tizoc

How does this sale work? do they just announce every game that is given a discount, and they all end at the same time, or does this sale take place over a couple of days and each sale ends at a different time? I ask because I use a one time use credit card for online purchases, and I just ran out of money buying the Humble Bundle yesterday, and won't be able to get a new one until tomorrow

Basically majority of games on sale, almost for 50%.
The important, IMPORTANT rule you HAVE to follow is to NEVER EVER BUY THE GAMES YOU WANT EVEN IF THEIR PRICE IS TEMPTING.
YOU WAIT for the Daily Deals, as the game you want may go on sale for 75%-80% of it's original price. Of course in this cas eyou may be doing multiple purchases, so see if there are any games you want, if they aren't part of the Daily Deals, just wait.

M.D

Is this your first sale? Oh man you're in for a treat. Don't worry, you'll get to spend.

Yup, this is my first sale.
I'm hoping to get some good deals out of it :p

basically theres X # of daily deals that get refreshed every 24 hours (but last 36) + 4 'flash deals' that cycle every 6ish hours or so + community voted deals.

its a 2 weeks clusterfuck of deals.

The sale runs for 2 weeks and almost every game is discounted for the whole duration.
Every day there are daily deals, which are discounted even more, but only for 48 hours. The dailys switch every day at the same time (10 AM PST?).

Then there may be flash deals, which only run for about 10 hours. Those are also even cheaper.

If you find a game that you want, you should wait until it is part of a daily/flash deal, or wait until the last day to buy it.
Have fun!

The game literally has no story. Nothing important happens, so nothing gets resolved. It's a joke.
EDIT: Talking about Darksiders II.
Darksiders story is okay, but sadly ends on a cliffhanger which might never get resolved.

DONT buy anything under 75% is my recommendation.
This will be my second ever sale, and in the first one, the things I bought at 75% are still enough to keep me going maybe for years, so if you see something for 50%, dont bother. By the time you will actually get round to playing it, it will have reached 75% in the next sale.

Thanks for the help guys.

Do they usually discount games that have been recently released? Can I expect Far Cry 3 for 30$, or do they usually discount games from previous years?

Thanks for the help guys.

Do they usually discount games that have been recently released? Can I expect Far Cry 3 for 30$, or do they usually discount games from previous years?

Recently released games normally don't get a cut bigger than 33%, if at all. So there might be a possibility for FC3 in that pricerange.

Probably not, FC 3 is still the top seller at 49.99. Older 2012 releases can still get deep discounts though.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

They discount recent games, just not to the extent of older games. I'd guess FC3 won't go below 25% (maybe 33%) this time around.

metalshade

I am scared of the achievement hunt thing.
I was a real bad achievement hunter on Xbox, to the point where it ruined my gaming, I was always concentrated on getting those points rather than enjoying the game.
Since built my gaming rig, I have been able to avoid the steamplay achievement stuff.
If steam starts making me look at my achievement lists too, I will be a broken man!

Tomodachi

Here it comes.

waitforthedailydeals_4apps.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Sequel hooks I don't mind. Out and out cliffhangers are the work of the devil.

I'd call it more a cliffhanger than a "sequel hook". War's story isn't resolved and is instead elongated to cater for a sequel that's unlikely to ever materialise.

Derrick01

Banned
I am scared of the achievement hunt thing.
I was a real bad achievement hunter on Xbox, to the point where it ruined my gaming, I was always concentrated on getting those points rather than enjoying the game.
Sine a built my gaming rig, I have been able to avoid the steamplay achievement stuff.
If steam starts making me look at my achievement lists too, I will be a broken man!

That's not what you have to worry about because usually it's just 1 achievement per game they list.

What you need to worry about is that contest making you buy a bunch of shit indie games because when they list each day's achievement games they also heavily discount those games. So next thing you know you have a library of 30 new crap indie games because they were all $1 or $2.50 in hopes that you would win the grand prize.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Wb! I noticed u were banned after our small warhammer talk.
...and hey if i can spend 100 dollars on gog.com sales and still be able spare a few for steam u can too so grab ur sandwich mi amigo~
Sorry, which Warhammer talk? You mean about Space Marine? (I have a terrible memory, lol)

And my ban was because of something really, really stupid I said, and it was completely deserved. Well, at least it gave me some time to finish Spec Ops :p

Finally bought the hamburger. I'll just consider thos 7 bucks as money reserved for a terrible game I wouldn't want to buy anyway, and now I won't need to.

Caerith

I'd call it more a cliffhanger than a "sequel hook". War's story isn't resolved and is instead elongated to cater for a sequel that's unlikely to ever materialise.
I disagree. War's story is resolved in the first game -- all mysteries are revealed and the guilty are punished. The only thing unresolved is the conflict hinted at in the very ending, the one that should have lead to a kick ass sequel.

1-D_FTW

Ehhh... [eases finger off of the trigger] ok, I'll save for the Steam sale then.

I'm still waiting to find out what happens after Manhunter 2. GODDAMNIT SIERRA.

I found Darksiders 2 to be much superior to 1. And don't listen to Derrick's opinion on this.

Tizoc

Sorry, which Warhammer talk? You mean about Space Marine? (I have a terrible memory, lol)
Yup that was it heh.

Finally bought the hamburger. I'll just consider thos 7 bucks as money reserved for a terrible game I wouldn't want to buy anyway, and now I won't need to.

A got me a burger too...for $6...would've tasted better with tomato, but it was tasty~

Raxus

Before I forget. Steam gods, can thou make Natural Selection $10 and put Farcry 3 and Dishonored at 50% off?

I will seal this pact in blood!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
BTW, I've gotten the free Dragon Age DLC that EA offered some weeks ago, all I gotta do to use them is to play the games and log into my EA account while it's running right?
Fuck, I totally forgot about this!!! :(

I can't wait for it to start, it'll be my second sale and my first that I've got in on at the very start. I came in at the end of the autumn sale, and got stung a couple of times in buying games before they went on a flash sale, but at least this time I know what I'm doing. I'm also really digging the community aspect of it all, with this thread, and the shared anticipation etc. It adds something extra when a bunch of virtual strangers are sharing in the madness.
I prefer the term "virtual friends", but it's OK. This is my first Winter Seal too, I started buying Steam games a week before the Summer Seal, with an Amazon sale of Max Payne 3 at $30. That's also when I joined GAF, and luckily got approved in just 2 days.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I disagree. War's story is resolved in the first game -- all mysteries are revealed and the guilty are punished. The only thing unresolved is the conflict hinted at in the very ending, the one that should have lead to a kick ass sequel.

But it isn't. The
Charred Council allowing Abaddon to bring about the apocalypse early and then accusing War as the perpetrator so as to have him act as their puppet
is a major plot revelation that occurs about two-thirds through the game, not thrown in at the end as a hook.
War breaking the final seal and summoning his kin to assist him in his revenge
follows on from that.

Sanic

Didn't you get the memo, 80% sales on big games is a no-go for Steam these days, remember that economist they hired, yea blame him.

Hm?

Without taking the time to actually look up if I'm correct or not, I think the percentage discount has, on average, dropped over the years, but I don't know if that applies more heavily to AAA releases.

Spocker

Are we expecting any Winter games/achievement hunting this year? Really enjoyed the ones last winter. Got me to try out many games I would have never played otherwise.

Miker

Steam's summer sale wasn't very exciting, but all things considered, the autumn sale was actually really solid. I'm hoping for a full return to glory for this sale. 80%+ or bust.

Caerith

But it isn't. The
Charred Council allowing Abaddon to bring about the apocalypse early and then accusing War as the perpetrator so as to have him act as their puppet
is a major plot revelation that occurs about two-thirds through the game, not thrown in at the end as a hook.
War breaking the final seal and summoning his kin to assist him in his revenge
follows on from that.
Well, point. But
the first game was largely "find out what happened and kill the Destroyer," which was resolved.
Darksiders is like A New Hope, and we never got the Empire Strikes Back we should have.

Hm?

Without taking the time to actually look up if I'm correct or not, I think the percentage discount has, on average, dropped over the years, but I don't know if that applies more heavily to AAA releases.

I've been to every Steam sale since inception, they have definitely dropped indeed. More noticeably since last Summer sale where flash sales and Steam insomnia was introduced, they also hired that economist at that time.
He's probably responsible for the new market as well.

Just kidding of course but yes the discounts aren't nearly as good for big games.

BioHazard

achievements! achievements! achievements! achievements! cheevements! cheevements! cheevements! cheesemints! cheesemints! cheesemints!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom