• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Yeah, I may grab Dead Island at that price, too. I have some brosefs that have been waiting to play the game in co-op.

ibckeQeKgKzqH7.gif

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dead Island is some good, janky fun until you reach the city and it trades open ended, lush jungle environments for cramped city streets and dingy ass sewers. Thankfully you return to the jungle eventually, but then dudes with guns show up, and don't even get me started on that...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Dead Island is some good, janky fun until you reach the city and it trades open ended, lush jungle environments for cramped city streets and dingy ass sewers. Thankfully you return to the jungle eventually, but then dudes with guns show up, and don't even get me started on that...

Wow way to like totally kill my excitement for playing it.

AlexBasch

Maybe I'll reinstall it and see if it gets a bit active again. I was bummed out that people were playing it when it was on sale in summer and then it was absolutely dead.

Wow way to like totally kill my excitement for playing it.
Not that bad, they're only a few, they die from single headshots and you can just throw a molotov and be done with them, they're just guarding zones and some buildings.

Isn't US Dead Island region locked so you can't redeem it in Europe? Or does that not apply for the GOTY version?

*Edit* ahh, did Green Man Gaming supply a Euro code? Didn't notice you'd said it cost you £4.95 not $4.95.

Yeah, they gave me a Euro code. Plus, they listed the price in £ in case there was any doubt. It's slightly dubious that it's one dollar equals one pound, but even so, it's still damn cheap and worth picking up. I played it oh so briefly on the PS3, and even bought the GOTY edition, but never took the shrink wrap off (£14.95 effectively down the pan). I traded it in once I knew I was going to get a gaming PC before Christmas.

Xyber

I have faith in this being a superior experience TBH. Borderlands 2 is such a low bar.

I can only speak for myself, but BL2 was more fun to me. Because fuck those sewers in Dead Island.. The city is okay at best. But the game was really fun up until that part, so for that low price I think it's worth it.

I can only speak for myself, but BL2 was more fun to me. Because fuck those sewers in Dead Island.. The city is okay at best. But the game was really fun up until that part, so for that low price I think it's worth it.

Yep, the sewers absolutely destroyed the game for me, far too repetitive. Well, that and the fact that the zombies level up with you.

Anyone know if the DLC is worth playing through?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
If Dead Island is as rich in Eurojank as Borderlands 2 is in terrible writing and gameplay, then there's no way we won't enjoy it more.

For sure. At least exploration and combat are worthwhile in DI. Can't say the same about Borderlands.

DI has horrendous writing and voice acting, but amusingly so. There's no self-awareness. Borderlands tries and fails hard at being clever and funny.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Huh, I thought people liked Borderlands 2. Is it bad?

I'm willing to accept that the terrible gameplay is a subjective opinion, stemming from my hatred of the loot-whore "genre" (and only further exacerbated by the fact that Borderlands 2 has terrible loot), but the terrible writing is basically objective truth, even if we accept the premise of "lol, videogame stories are always bad"

I'd believe the theory of gravity to be no longer true before I accept anything less than Borderlands 2 having some of the worst writing and sense of humor in videogames.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I thought I already owned Dead Pixels, but I just realised I was confusing it with They Bleed Pixels.

I'm willing to accept that the terrible gameplay is a subjective opinion, stemming from my hatred of the loot-whore "genre" (and only further exacerbated by the fact that Borderlands 2 has terrible loot), but the terrible writing is basically objective truth, even if we accept the premise of "lol, videogame stories are always bad"

I'd believe the theory of gravity to be no longer true before I accept anything less than Borderlands 2 having some of the worst writing and sense of humor in videogames.

The quest design is also very dull, from what I've played of the game. Just "fetch this" or "kill that" with no added spice.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. The writing in both games is off-putting, but there's something especially terrible about that shitty little robot that never shuts up. Sorry, Gearbox, but no matter how hard you try to cram him down our throats, Claptrap will never be the lovable mascot you want him to be.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. The writing in both games is off-putting, but there's something especially terrible about that shitty little robot that never shuts up. Sorry, Gearbox, but no matter how hard you try to cram him down our throats, Claptrap will never be the lovable mascot you want him to be.

Isn't Claptrap just supposed to be a self centered asshole? Although a bit funny in his own delusions. Never got the lovable mascot vibe tbh.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Isn't Claptrap just supposed to be a self centered asshole? Although a bit funny in his own delusions. Never got the lovable mascot vibe tbh.

You're right, I didn't mean lovable in that he's a nice guy, but in the sense that Gearbox has tried really, really hard to push him as some memorable, beloved character when in reality he's just lame and grating.

So Borderlands 2 is pretty much the same as Borderlands 1 then?

Yep. There's a few tweaks here and there, new weapons, new classes and as JaseC said, more environmental variety, but overall it's basically the same game. I don't think BL2 will convert any of BL1's naysayers.

nexen

If you couldn't even finish the first one why would you bother forcing yourself through the second when it's the same thing only even more grating.

I can get somewhere between $5 and $10 worth of enjoyment out of it still, I bet. I'll quit when I'm bored, just like last time.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ugh. Couldn't finish Borderlands 1, so I guess I'll wait until this one bins too.

I rather enjoyed playing through the original solo, but my interest in the sequel waned after a two or so weeks of occasional play.

morningbus

I can get somewhere between $5 and $10 worth of enjoyment out of it still, I bet. I'll quit when I'm bored, just like last time.

You'll quit by the time you reach Tiny Tina, regardless.

I would honestly accept a hard kick to the groin in exchange for forgetting Tiny Tina, but remembering to avoid anything involving her.

XShagrath

I don't want to turn this into a big BL2 discussion, but I've had a lot of fun playing it with friends on the 360 side. A lot of the humor may seem "stupid" to some people, but it still cracks us up (and we're not little kids, we're in our 30's). I've put in over 160 hours since release, and probably played it for 8 or so yesterday alone.

It might not be everyone's cup of tea, and playing solo is kinda meh. But it really shines in co-op, especially if you've got mics and are just having a good time.

Aaron

I had no problem with Tiny Tina. At least she wasn't boring, like all the other characters in the game. And in most games for that matter.

nexen

No, because he is forcing the game down his throat despite warnings to avoid it, he must promise this thread to play up Tiny Tina and complete all of her quest set.

It is written.

Might accept challenge. How many hours in is that?
edit: still wont buy until it is sub $10 though.

morningbus

It might not be everyone's cup of tea, and playing solo is kinda meh. But it really shines in co-op, especially if you've got mics and are just having a good time.

I won't argue against your personal tastes -- your personal opinion is yours and my opinion is not inherently more correct -- but I will propose the following: using the "fun with friends" metric, I can successfully argue that Revelations 2012 is as good as Borderlands 2.

In fact, I can successfully argue that Revelations 2012 is substantially better.

Nabs

Stallion said he'd get a Tiny Tina tattoo on his back if BL2 sold a bunch this year. I'll have to look at the contract later.

Yo, Chivalry for 8 bucks? Go buy that shit.

I won't argue against your personal tastes -- your personal opinion is yours and my opinion is not inherently more correct -- but I will propose the following: using the "fun with friends" metric, I can successfully argue that Revelations 2012 is as good as Borderlands 2.

In fact, I can successfully argue that Revelations 2012 is substantially better.

Revelations 2012 pre-patch. Sigh.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

You know what else is fun with friends? Bludgeoning the homeless. That doesn't make it a good thing.

So Borderlands 2 is pretty much the same as Borderlands 1 then?

I still can't believe the Amazon guy got a BL2 tat. I hope he got paid for that.

morningbus

You know what else is fun with friends? Bludgeoning the homeless. That doesn't make it a good thing.

Prisoners of war often recount how their friendships helped pull them through their torture, too.

I use this metaphor a lot, so I was purposely avoiding it

Revelations 2012 pre-patch. Sigh.

Ugh. They basically George Lucas'd their game. Even post-patch, it was still a funner experience.

I had no problem with Tiny Tina. At least she wasn't boring, like all the other characters in the game. And in most games for that matter.

aaaand this might be my problem. Didn't like it playing with randoms but my friends aren't interested in the 1st one at all too.

Meanwhile, Chivalry is Monty Python and The Holy Grail: The Game.

morningbus

aaaand this might be my problem. Didn't like it playing with randoms but my friends aren't interested in the 1st one at all too.

Keep in mind Tiny Tina is only interesting by comparison.

A violent racist that lobs personal attacks directed towards you as a real person would be a breath of fresh air and the pinnacle of creative writing for Borderlands 2.

I really liked Dead Island and Borderlands 2... but Diablo 2 is one of my favorite games of all time so I guess any loot is better then no loot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom