• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Screw your non-existent money problems, and go get me Dishonored to repent.

Saving up some for Winter Sales, but there's only 1, 2 games that I actually want to buy. So wondering if all this meal skimping is worth it.

C'mon son.

The same games (plus new titles) go on daily deals and general discount in every Steam sale. You're going to skip meals to buy a game that you could just buy at Easter or in the summer, when you probably have a huge backlog already?

NIN90

Skipping lunch won't kill you if your breakfast and dinner is half-decent, lol.
There's lots of cultures that do this on a daily base.

Blizzard

Banned
I'd also suggest not skipping meals. Ultimately, if the budget is that tight, working on the bigger issues will mean you're healthier and better off in the long run, when the games go on sale again for even cheaper prices. It's just not worth it.

Soi-Fong

Umm Postal 2 is the daily deal today, 50% off

Oh snap! Showed my girlfriend some videos and she was wanting me to get it. Laughing her ass off being able to urinate at burning corpses to put out fires... lol

Now, she may sound crazy, but she's not.. lol

NnBTU.jpg

It doesn't detect my 2-year-old save. It must have to do with my GFWL account. But here's prove I do have a save:

e4ruK.png

I hate doing tutorials/first hour of games over again. Can I recover it?

Echoplx

Never buying a GFWL game again, so many issues it's not even funny and with the switch to W8 I can't even play my games (my gfwl account is on an old ass email that I don't use anymore, so when I used my new Microsoft account on windows 8 none of my licenses were available and support refused to transfer them over)

daxy

It doesn't detect my 2-year-old save. It must have to do with my GFWL account. But here's prove I do have a save:

e4ruK.png

Perhaps. Arkham City had an issue where older saves were made incompatible after a certain patch. All you needed to do was edit some sequence at the beginning of the file to match the format of saves on the new patch. Doubt it applies to this, but it may be worth checking.

Could also try to change the file's name to Save1.sgd
For some reason that's worked for me in the past.

Also, when I changed my GFWL/Live gamertag my save game didn't work anymore for AC. But also that was fixable by replacing the old name with the new.

Right I've realized I'm completely broke for Christmas steam sale, I need to save at least £140 in less than two weeks currently I have less than half of that, so if I skip lunch for the next two weeks I can make back £70, I could just use the money from next year but it will to be too late for the Christmas sale.

.....might start packing peanut butter sandwiches now.
Well go measure your BMI.
http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bminojs.htm

If you are overweight or obese then use the games you want as a reward to skip some meals and help your health.

If you are proper weight then maybe try to figure out how to replace a meal where you eat out with a cheaper lunch you pack for yourself and save some money.

Oreoleo

Perhaps. Arkham City had an issue where older saves were made incompatible after a certain patch. All you needed to do was edit some sequence at the beginning of the file to match the format of saves on the new patch. Doubt it applies to this, but it may be worth checking.

Could also try to change the file's name to Save1.sgd
For some reason that's worked for me in the past.

Also, when I changed my GFWL/Live gamertag my save game didn't work anymore for AC. But also that was fixable by replacing the old name with the new.

This is pretty much spot on. If you've got a hex editor, it can be recovered. There was a long thread over on the old SPUF about how to do it, I had the same problem and managed to fix it. Good luck.

Blizzard

Banned
This is pretty much spot on. If you've got a hex editor, it can be recovered. There was a long thread over on the old SPUF about how to do it, I had the same problem and managed to fix it. Good luck.
This is kind of timely, given the discussion we were just having about SPUF being unavailable or whatever. :p

Also, if anyone needs a hex editor, Frhed is a pretty decent free, open-source one: http://frhed.sourceforge.net/en/

daxy

Well go measure your BMI.
http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bminojs.htm

If you are overweight or obese then use the games you want as a reward to skip some meals and help your health.

If you are proper weight then maybe try to figure out how to replace a meal where you eat out with a cheaper lunch you pack for yourself and save some money.

Isn't eating three balanced meals a day healthier than skipping a meal?

In any case, you could try cooking more efficiently so make a bunch of something to have for a few days, or eat spaghetti and rice products, etc. if it really means that much. Honestly, these games will be even cheaper around spring and even more so during summer. I'm gonna try tackling a tiny shard of my backlog over winter myself!

Caerith

Isn't eating three balanced meals a day healthier than skipping a meal?

In any case, you could try cooking more efficiently so make a bunch of something to have for a few days, or eat spaghetti and rice products, etc. if it really means that much. Honestly, these games will be even cheaper around spring and even more so during summer. I'm gonna try tackling a tiny shard of my backlog over winter myself!
Yes. Your metabolism tunes itself by meal frequency, so you'd really be better off eating like 5 small meals a day instead of 2 decent meals.

But, ultimately, if you're looking to save money for video games and want to cut it out of your food budget, then a) learn to cook, and b) if you have to eat out, skip the chains (a party of 2 going to any restaurant you've heard of can easily spend $50+ for dinner; the same party of 2 going for pho will spend $16). Simply put, if you're spending $10 for a sandwich then you really must not want to buy any video games.

Arkham City had the same issue, but they patched it like six months later and it started recognizing saves again. But given how old Arkham Asylum is, if they haven't patched it by now then... Sorry, man.

I've just converted to the glory that is Steam, and I swear it's going to bankrupt me in the end. Having built my new PC, I'm still in the honeymoon period of "holy shit, everything looks amazing in 1080p/60fps", which will probably last quite a while since I've been gaming on consoles exclusively for way, way too long.

I've just converted to the glory that is Steam, and I swear it's going to bankrupt me in the end. Having built my new PC, I'm still in the honeymoon period of "holy shit, everything looks amazing in 1080p/60fps", which will probably last quite a while since I've been gaming on consoles exclusively for way, way too long.

Welcome, Brother.

Right I've realized I'm completely broke for Christmas steam sale, I need to save at least £140 in less than two weeks currently I have less than half of that, so if I skip lunch for the next two weeks I can make back £70, I could just use the money from next year but it will to be too late for the Christmas sale.

.....might start packing peanut butter sandwiches now.

Trade console games in at GAME towards a Steam Gift Card!

bigace33

Greenman gaming is fast becoming my favorite DD service. I just got F3AR 3 for the low, low price of $3.75 when I added the additional 25% off code. B^D

Trade console games in at GAME towards a Steam Gift Card!

Oh, yes! I'm eyeing up a bunch of PS3/360 games which are going to make the ultimate sacrifice this Christmas for me. Though I am slightly annoyed I paid £15 for Dead Island :GOTY edition for the PS3 and never even took the shrink wrap off; there's just no way I'm going to play this on the PS3 now. But, then I did buy it just prior to getting the itch to build a gaming PC, so I can't complain too much.

I'll be glad to be rid of the janky vaseline smeared monstrosities that are the PS3 versions of Fallout 3, New Vegas and Skyrim.

Gimme moar.

so far it feels like someone shuffled the design documents for dead space, stalker and fallout together then decided that gears of war rendered all camera perspectives other than ots obsolete. there are a lot of little hints from visual glitches and the like that what appears to be happening might not actually be happening, and the story is doing a decent job of drawing me in; it's basically fallout but there's only one vault, and the overseers/vaultec corporation equivalents are less cartoony as villains.

the facial animation is seriously distracting at times but other than that the graphics are passable. actually come to think of it animation and modeling in general are a little substandard, there's nothing overly wrong with them but they look like generic outsourced assets.

Oh, yes! I'm eyeing up a bunch of PS3/360 games which are going to make the ultimate sacrifice this Christmas for me. Though I am slightly annoyed I paid £15 for Dead Island :GOTY edition for the PS3 and never even took the shrink wrap off; there's just no way I'm going to play this on the PS3 now. But, then I did buy it just prior to getting the itch to build a gaming PC, so I can't complain too much.

I'll be glad to be rid of the janky vaseline smeared monstrosities that are the PS3 versions of Fallout 3, New Vegas and Skyrim.

I think GAME's offer of +33% on trade ins towards a Steam Gift Card might have ended, but could be worth checking. Totally agree with you. I still enjoy my consoles, mainly for the few social games I have (and the sports titles), but the 'bigger' games are much better on the PC.

I think GAME's offer of +33% on trade ins towards a Steam Gift Card might have ended, but could be worth checking. Totally agree with you. I still enjoy my consoles, mainly for the few social games I have (and the sports titles), but the 'bigger' games are much better on the PC.

It's actually great to go back and cherry pick a ton of games I've not got around to playing this generation, and play them on the PC. I bought the Fallout games, but never got round to playing them properly, and I can't remember how long ago I bought Arkham Asylum. If anything, even though the reasoning is incredibly superficial, building a gaming PC has reinvigorated my interest again in games, and this weekend I've been having a blast playing Arkham Asylum in 3D, looking utterly gorgeous and smooth as butter. That said, the PS3 will always get some love because its amazing exclusives.

I think Steam played a big role in helping me decide to move over to PC gaming again (the last time I had a gaming rig would have been in the late 90's), it's just so easy to use, and the sales are ridiculous.

Yeah, if you can hold out and pick things up in the sales, you'll 'save' a ton of money in the end. Plus when you see the mod support games have on the PC over the console version it blows your mind. Fallout is a great example for mod support.

1-D_FTW

It's actually great to go back and cherry pick a ton of games I've not got around to playing this generation, and play them on the PC. I bought the Fallout games, but never got round to playing them properly, and I can't remember how long ago I bought Arkham Asylum. If anything, even though the reasoning is incredibly superficial, building a gaming PC has reinvigorated my interest again in games, and this weekend I've been having a blast playing Arkham Asylum in 3D, looking utterly gorgeous and smooth as butter. That said, the PS3 will always get some love because its amazing exclusives.

I think Steam played a big role in helping me decide to move over to PC gaming again (the last time I had a gaming rig would have been in the late 90's), it's just so easy to use, and the sales are ridiculous.

We're Steam buddies. I've been playing Arkham City in 3D this weekend.

I think GAME's offer of +33% on trade ins towards a Steam Gift Card might have ended, but could be worth checking.

Nah, it's a perma-deal (and applies to all digital vouchers, not just Steam codes). However, it's offset by GAME's trade-in values being the worst in the industry, generally speaking, so if you have a CEX in your town, bring along print-outs of the CEX webpages for the games you're planning on trading in and get them to price match, you'll probably wind up with more credit than GAME's quote on its own, even with the 33% bonus. If you don't have a CEX in your town, but if you do have an HMV, then grab HMV's trade in app for your smartphone, since generally speaking HMV has slightly better trade in values. Again, get GAME to price-match.

e4ruK.png

I think you can. That folder its sitting in, e00000 blah blah, I think that's the ID it had for your gamertag back when you played it.

Try starting a new game, letting it save, then go back to that folder and you will probably see another folder with an equally jumble of numbers, copy your old save and put it in the new one (probably overwriting the new save you made).

Its what I had to do awhile ago to get my save back in Arkham Asylum.

Nah, it's a perma-deal (and applies to all digital vouchers, not just Steam codes). However, it's offset by GAME's trade-in values being the worst in the industry, generally speaking, so if you have a CEX in your town, bring along print-outs of the CEX pages for the games you're planning on trading in and get them to price match, you'll probably wind up with more credit than GAME's quote on its own, even with the 33% bonus. If you don't have a CEX in your town, but if you do have an HMV, then grab HMV's trade in app for your smartphone, since generally speaking HMV has slightly better trade in values. Again, get GAME to price-match.

What a bonus tip!

Nah, it's a perma-deal (and applies to all digital vouchers, not just Steam codes). However, it's offset by GAME's trade-in values being the worst in the industry, generally speaking, so if you have a CEX in your town, bring along print-outs of the CEX pages for the games you're planning on trading in and get them to price match, you'll probably wind up with more credit than GAME's quote on its own, even with the 33% bonus. If you don't have a CEX in your town, but if you do have an HMV, then grab HMV's trade in app for your smartphone, since generally speaking HMV has slightly better trade in values. Again, get GAME to price-match.

I actually did just that when I traded in a load of games against a Vita on launch day. GAME's original quote was about £83, had to go to another town with CEX, where the GAME situated there would price match. I can't remember exactly but it jumped from about £83 to about £170. CEX has, by and large, pretty fair trade-in prices. GAME, on the other hand, is one step away from offering a hand job from a tramp in an abandoned parking lot and a packet of crisps as their standard trade-in against a game.

Quite busy making my UDK level for my assignment so I haven't had any time to game this week really. Finished my write-up tonight so thought I'd start up Red Faction:Armageddon. Not a bad first hour and a half. Lots of enemies and if they don't change it up, I can see it becoming quite stale but I'll play some more after next week when I finish for the holidays.

haikira

Raffle Time

Giving away

First Key 2x Darksiders, Red Faction: Armageddon, Metro 2033, Company of Heroes, Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts, and Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor

Second Key 2x Saints Row: The Third

Third Key 1x Titan Quest

If you want the first key. Just PM me saying "I'd like the First Key" and so on for the others.

Only apply for one key and if you have most of the games in the first key, please leave it for others.

Since this is at the end of a page, I'm going to bump it in the new page, to keep things fair.

Closing time is 30 minutes after this post. Which will be 11:42PM in the UK. The winners will be picked out of complete random.

EDIT: Guessing everyone already grabbed the bundle? Would have expected one PM by now.

EDIT2: 8 Minutes left. Two Entries for the third key, none for the others.

EDIT3: Closed. Will post the winners here within 2 minutes.

EDIT4: MNC wins Key 3 and 28 Posts Later wins Key 1.

Only had 3 entries =O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom