• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Monk

Morning fellow GAFfers, The Walking Dead IS awesome. I was LTTP but glad I played it.

Makes me think if the Jurassic Park is worth to pick up on a sale or something, but that is really bad.. right?

Jawmuncher

It's universally declared Telltale's worst game. Not worth it.

Morning fellow GAFfers, The Walking Dead IS awesome. I was LTTP but glad I played it.

Makes me think if the Jurassic Park is worth to pick up on a sale or something, but that is really bad.. right?

Personally i liked Jurassic Park more than Back to the Future.
But from my avatar you can obviously tell why.

The enjoyment from Jurassic Park comes more from how much you enjoy the IP, IMO anyway.

The_Monk

Well that's my problem, I like Jurassic Park and I have a great nostalgia from the movies but I don't want to have a bad experience on a JP Game. I finished Back to the Future too so I was looking at this one... Let's see.

derExperte

I completed JP before TWD and thought it was horrid, one of the worst gaming experiences of that year. Can't imagine what it's like playing it after seeing what Telltale is capable of when they give a damn. The jump in quality is enormous.

Alien8

So what your saying is if I draw a hexagon in paint you will gift a copy to make it happen?

Here:-
jluDNEEORfD3c.png

I love seven-sided hexagons! :p

While waiting for a friend to show up I had the chance to check out Metal Gear Rising Revengeance on a demo station.

I will be sad if this doesn't come to the PC.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Totally late to the party, but I'm currently reading through the thread and now I'm curious about the infamous Steam chat. Any survival tips/equipment?

Logged into the so called "NeoGAF Chat" and was told to die by Cade and FollowSmoke instantly. Good room.
Did you follow their advice?

coopolon

Nah it's fantastic, people just love to hate whatever is popular/new.

This doesn't even make sense. You think we go out and buy games (not even super cheap games, Borderlands 2 is still $30) just so that we can hate on them to look cool on an anonymous internet message board? What?

Isn't it far more likely that after playing the game and trying to enjoy it, we reached the conclusion it actually sucks?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So I spent some time with Critter Crunch last night, one of the games I bought in the autumn sale (mainly due to the praise of you folks in the sales thread).

I'm only a few zones in, but so far I'm finding it really fun. I love the animations and art style, very charismatic game. And the presentation is superb, very polished and well done tutorials and instructions. The music and sound effects are catchy and easy on the ears. And on top of that, the game play is really good. So far it seems easy to learn but hard to master, and I love games like that. My rank of 3600 on the leaderboards kinda points that out too, lol. I can see me playing this alot to try and get better scores on the levels and challenge modes.

Good recommendation guys, thanks!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Do you really need 1tb of games installed, or another 400 gb worth for that matter?

I have a 2 tb games drive and I am using 86 gb.
Max Payne 3 alone fills 35% of your allocated space for games. So if you have games that big , it isn't a bad idea to have a big enough HDD.

Having most/all of your games installed is a nice convenience if you have an internet connection of less than, say, 10Mbps (i.e. ~1MBps). I ran out of space on my 2TB Steam drive long ago, with almost half of my library now uninstalled, and have trimmed all the fat I can: GoG games, Blizzard games, and Origin games. I'd planned on getting a second Steam drive, but I have just one free HDD tray remaining and it 'd be better suited for yet another general downloads drive.
Now this is taking it to a ludicrous point. 2TB worth of games, I take it that you spend hours after hours just browsing your library, looking for something to play.

Wait, do you even like playing games? Or only buying them?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Max Payne 3 alone fills 35% of your allocated space for games. So if you have games that big , it isn't a bad idea to have a big enough HDD.

How many Max Payne's do you need installed at once?

I currently have installed:
-3 multiplayer only games
-2 single player games I'm working on achievements for
-1 new singleplayer game
-1 co-op specific game

As soon as I finish the co-op game it will be replaced with my next one. If I plan to do all achievements for the new SP game (Mark of the Ninja), it will be kept until 100%d or replaced with my next SP game. I plan on getting Max Payne 3 during the Christmas sale as I will have a bit more time to roll hard on games and I will uninstall it after beating it once (bullshit achievement list that I have no desire to complete).

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
How many Max Payne's do you need installed at once?

I currently have installed:
-3 multiplayer only games
-2 single player games I'm working on achievements for
-1 new singleplayer game
-1 co-op specific game

As soon as I finish the co-op game it will be replaced with my next one. If I plan to do all achievements for the new SP game (Mark of the Ninja), it will be kept until 100%d or replaced with my next SP game. I plan on getting Max Payne 3 during the Christmas sale as I will have a bit more time to roll hard on games and I will uninstall it after beating it once (bullshit achievement list that I have no desire to complete).
3 of them: MP1, 2 & 3.

I have every Steam game I own installed, except for the super ultra hyper mega shitty ones, or those I wouldn't play even if my life depended on it (like Revelaitons 2K12). After the Summer Sale I bought a 2TB drive, because my old 640GB one was completely full, and after installing MP3 had less than 20 GB left (and that was after making room so I could even download the game in the first place). I don't know how much free space the new one has, I think a little more than 1TB. But what's important is that I won't need to be deleting older stuff to make room for new games, or waste time redownloading it if I suddenly get the urge to play something I don't have installed.

And I also used it to install the 11 or 12 Origin games I got for free, so it turned up to be more useful than I first thought. Can't wait to use it with Uplay games!
(not really)

I have about 500-600GB of games installed. Mostly because I play many games at once but also because I want to try new purchases and don't bother uninstalling them before I play them for reals.

Why does that Windows 8 thing cost £1.49? I wonder if Valve will send them a cease and desist for using their product logo in a commercial software.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I don't try new purchases, I beat them immediately. I played Prototype 1/2 back to back last week because of that rule. Speaking of which:

Prototype Thoughts

A harsh reminder of the PS2 era of open-world games. NYC looks and feels incredibly bland and it offers zero incentive for exploration. Perhaps the greatest mistake by the game though, is making the super-powered main character feel even weaker as the story progresses due to the increasingly absurd enemy spam. Boring challenges are a poor excuse for side content to fill out the world, too.

Prototype 2 Thoughts
A pretty significant improvement over the original. The world has a lot more flavor to it and the art direction is kicked up a notch. The combat functions much more fluidly and the super-powered main character actually feels powerful. The main character's voice acting and dialogue is absurdly ridiculous in the best way possible, a refreshing change from Alex Mercer's whining.

Oh they actually make an effort with the side missions this time too.

The power is strong with you. Since my 1 year challenge starts as soon as the Christmas sale hits I will try that too.

I'm glad that Prototype 2 is better than 1. Did you encounter any technical issues? The SPUF was bursting with complaints about it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm glad that Prototype 2 is better than 1. Did you encounter any technical issues? The SPUF was bursting with complaints about it.
Complaints seem to be very brand/model specific. I have a 460 1 gb and at 1080p settings maxed I was getting 45-60 fps depending on how demanding the scenery was. Way better than I was expecting after reading all the complaints. I'm also a lot more forgiving of FPS drops in open world games after GTA4.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I don't try new purchases, I beat them immediately. I played Prototype 1/2 back to back last week because of that rule. Speaking of which:

Prototype Thoughts

A harsh reminder of the PS2 era of open-world games. NYC looks and feels incredibly bland and it offers zero incentive for exploration. Perhaps the greatest mistake by the game though, is making the super-powered main character feel even weaker as the story progresses due to the increasingly absurd enemy spam. Boring challenges are a poor excuse for side content to fill out the world, too.

Prototype 2 Thoughts
A pretty significant improvement over the original. The world has a lot more flavor to it and the art direction is kicked up a notch. The combat functions much more fluidly and the super-powered main character actually feels powerful. The main character's voice acting and dialogue is absurdly ridiculous in the best way possible, a refreshing change from Alex Mercer's whining.

Oh they actually make an effort with the side missions this time too.
You reminded me I picked up that Amazon pack and never touched the games. I still don't know if I will (specially after your comments on the first one), but I certainly have them in my mind now :p

abracadaver

Someone from the US please gift me call of duty 4. I will pay you the money immediately with paypal. I dont want to buy the german version. Its censored and more expensive. 9.99$ vs 12,49€

Complaints seem to be very brand/model specific. I have a 460 1 gb and at 1080p settings maxed I was getting 45-60 fps depending on how demanding the scenery was. Way better than I was expecting after reading all the complaints. I'm also a lot more forgiving of FPS drops in open world games after GTA4.

Ah good, I got worried when I saw that. I don't know if I'll be in the mood to play it after I finish Prototype but I'll tackle it eventually. Fuck Alex Mercer though.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ah good, I got worried when I saw that. I don't know if I'll be in the mood to play it after I finish Prototype but I'll tackle it eventually. Fuck Alex Mercer though.

Yeah, he's a boring piece of garbage. Amnesia isn't the driving force for character development in the second game fortunately.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
how long-ish is the 2nd one? I played mostly through the 1st, but got bored near the end and never got through it. Good to hear the 2nd is a vast improvement

About the same length. The city is divided into three distinct zones that unlock through the story which helps with the feeling of progress. Big bland downtown Manhatten was a serious detriment to P1.

About the same length. The city is divided into three distinct zones that unlock through the story which helps with the feeling of progress. Big bland downtown Manhatten was a serious detriment to P1.

good to know....will have to try and pick it up during a sale. Mercer made me want to punch babies

xJavonta

Banned
It's an unlimited free trial, apparently.

Really? I didn't even think about the trial version, downloading now. Thanks! $1.50 is too much for something that OblyTile sort of does for free.

Edit: Holy shit I sound like a cheapass. I need to get paid, quick.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
With or without side missions and stuff? I wouldn't mind rushing through it just to get it done.

With the sidestuff (investigation missions). The side stuff is worthwhile because you get some pretty sweet upgrades from them.

good to know....will have to try and pick it up during a sale. Mercer made me want to punch babies
Keep an eye out for Amazon deals. They were the ones who ran the double pack deal for 7.50 and then later 10$. You may be able to snag P2 for 5$ alone around Christmas.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Now this is taking it to a ludicrous point. 2TB worth of games, I take it that you spend hours after hours just browsing your library, looking for something to play.

Wait, do you even like playing games? Or only buying them?

I like playing some games!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
With the sidestuff (investigation missions). The side stuff is worthwhile because you get some pretty sweet upgrades from them.
Meh... IDKFA and I'll blow everyone apart with a sweet BFG 9000 attached to my bionic arm.

Is it weird that I wish I were playing Hotline Miami right now, but am still stuck at work for the next 6:30 hours, and have a company end-of-year party tonight, plus a concert tomorrow night? I kinda thought about skipping the party just to get some play time, but it would make me look bad. I hate this, once I find a game I'm really enjoying and want to keep playing, real life strikes me again :(

I swear, after I finish it I'll probably stay at home, bored, until I find another great game and the cycle repeats itself.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
The combat was definitely poor in BL1 which they improved in BL2.

Going from a 0 to a 1, while an improvement, is hardly something to congratulate.

Yeah, gold is a fairly useless metal. Give me some comedy erbium from the likes of Double Fine or Valve.

BL2 is a multiplayer experience but I think you meant competitive multiplayer in regards to CoD but what I said earlier, that was a jab at its single player when it comes down to it, it's really stupid but its a fun experience none the less which was my point in the end.

Yeah, but in your complaints you're combining multiplayer and single player. You don't prestige in single player. There is no story in multiplayer.

If I did the same for Borderlands 2, I'd just be stacking shit on top of decomposing shit.

It is when you Prestige, get it.

Except there has never been a true necessity to "prestiging." The most it has ever done is unlock an additional custom class. It has never been tied to acquiring weapons like in Borderlands 2.

Motivation is leveling up and getting more skills and improving my character for BL2 for me with friends.

I'll concead this point if you can agree that playing a game of go-fish with yourself is the same as playing chess against Bobby Fisher.

Did you play Torchlight 2/Diablo 3 coop?

Playing coop is such a important factor.

I'm sure Marsellus would agree that being locked up in a gun shop owner's sex dungeon and used as a sex toy was much better with his man Butch by his side, but I digress.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I haven't been following the Big Picture Mode developments for a while. Have they patched in support for x360ce (the 360 controller emulator)? If not, what about MotionInJoy?

Tried searching the thread but didn't find mention of it.

Despera

Banned
Edit: Done. thanks.

I haven't been following the Big Picture Mode developments for a while. Have they patched in support for x360ce (the 360 controller emulator)? If not, what about MotionInJoy?

Tried searching the thread but didn't find mention of it.
I can confirm that MotioninJoy works in BPM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom