• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamchan

WTF at the 4.5gb update for Sleeping Dogs. I was gonna buy whatever next story DLC they put out anyways but that's still pretty bullshit if they're forcing all the files on people.

naib

SFxT almost tempting? No regrets with SF4 but I don't know..
Do people still play SFxT? It was kinda fun at first but I got distracted.

syko de4d

RPG Maker Again

Our next step is to integrate RPG Maker VX Ace with Steam Workshop. We are hoping to get this completed by early next year."

Okay now i am happy, hope we will see many RPG Maker games on Steam :)

Rorschach

I hate this gen. So many "update required" games just sitting there. I fucking hate having to update everything just to play it. I can understand multiplayer games, but single player only games? Fuck that shit.

Holy shit 8.7 gigs, 4 gigs, 2.5 gis... these are fucking SP games!

Zizbuka

Banned
Has anyone actually seen the gift cards at Best Buy? I want to buy one for my son, and haven't been in a Game Stop in 5+ years and not going to go in one now.

Nabs

Has anyone actually seen the gift cards at Best Buy? I want to buy one for my son, and haven't been in a Game Stop in 5+ years and not going to go in one now.

Yeah, I've seen 'em at Best Buy. They have a large display near the games here. Best Buy actually gives you real Steam Cards, while Gamestop prints a code on a large receipt.

ShaneB

Wish those Steam cards were more readily available. Going home for christmas, and it would be nice if I could score one at a Walmart for a christmas gift. :(

sleepykyo

Does SFxTekken PC include the 12 DLC Pay to Win characters the console versions do?

While I did see a Jack on the second place team and Cody is pretty strong, plenty of strong characters are in base game. I get the resentment over dlc characters, but fighting games aren't that badly balanced. AE2011 was kind of an outlier where Ono intentionally wanted Yun to be overpowered and give the community a villain.

ShaneB

While I did see a Jack on the second place team and Cody is pretty strong, plenty of strong characters are in base game. I get the resentment over dlc characters, but fighting games aren't that badly balanced. AE2011 was kind of an outlier where Ono intentionally wanted Yun to be overpowered and give the community a villain.

Boy have I got a story to tell you about some games!

:p

JustinBB7

I don't get why updates are a bad thing, they're there to fix/add things. Unless it's DLC that you don't own then it's not needed but besides that it's a good thing.

Only other reason might be slow internet I suppose. But most gamers should have decent enough internet to support a few updates right.

I don't get why updates are a bad thing, they're there to fix/add things. Unless it's DLC that you don't own then it's not needed but besides that it's a good thing.

Only other reason might be slow internet I suppose. But most gamers should have decent enough internet to support a few updates right.

I just think there's an easier way than reinstalling the entire game. I don't know what that'd be, but I see other games pushing relatively small options, so when a game completely reinstalls itself, right when I want to play it I get bummed out.

shaowebb

$12.49 SF x Tekken On Steam right now.

$3.24 Street Fighter Swap Costume complete pack
$3.24 Tekken Swap Costume complete pack
$2.99 Shared assist gem pack 1
$2.99 Shared assist gem pack 2
$0.99 Street Fighter boost gem pack 1
$0.99 Street Fighter boost gem pack 2
$0.99 Tekken boost gem pack 1
$0.99 Tekken boost gem pack 2

$29-ish total for all of it.

*note its still on the 1.02 patch and the consoles are on the 1.7 patch Also it does not have the extra dlc cast available for purchase yet. Your call if you wish to nab it early and wait on these.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

I put people that complain about game updates in the same pile as people that complain about Windows updates. You know, the crazy people pile.

"Oh god, windows updated just last week and now it want's to update AGAIN? Godammit Microsoft you can't do anything right". That's what updates are, dude. Making things better for you.

The only two reasonable complaints about constant updates are "my internet is too slow" or "my internet has a monthly cap". Which, to that, all I can say is get better internet.

I could argue that the Swap Costume packs are useless, but they're a matter of taste.

However, the Gem packs are useless. There's plenty Gems in the game already and, personally, I think the game is better without them.

Derrick01

Banned
Deus Ex: Invisible War is the only game on Steam (out of hundreds) that I've never gotten running, even with scouring the Internet for troubleshooting. Not a big loss though.

That's because that game doesn't really exist. The universe was sending you a message.

Hey guys, so I'm from Europe but I'll be in the US probably during the winter sale. Will I be able to purchase in $ thanks to the US IP? Is there any risk i might get banned after I log in in Europe again?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
A part of me wishes the trading happened in this thread still so we could shame the people trying to flip Humble Bundle keys.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
A part of me wishes the trading happened in this thread still so we could shame the people trying to flip Humble Bundle keys.

But why should I give away my extra Humble Bundle for Android 3 key, containing World of Goo, Anomaly, Osmos, and EDGE (Games I already had anyway but I bought the Bundle anyway because I buy all Humble bundles)? Sure, I'm not going to ask for a full priced game for it, but a 2,50 game?

It's not like I paid 1 buck for 20 of them, it's my extra key. Just recently I traded one extra Spirits game key that I got from a Humble Bundle (because I already had the game) for somebody else's extra Necrovision Indie Royale (or was it gala?) extra key. What's bad about that?

If anyone needs shame it's the people I've seen online (not here, yet) trying to trade Metro 2033 codes.

Again, down the road, when the keys are no longer available for free, why can't I trade my extra one for some cheap indie game? Again, i'm not going to ask for a 15 buck game for it, but I already bought the THQ Bundle, I already have Metro 2033, but I got another key on Facebook. Why can't I trade that away for some 75% off indie game down in the winter sale?

dani_dc

Hey guys, so I'm from Europe but I'll be in the US probably during the winter sale. Will I be able to purchase in $ thanks to the US IP? Is there any risk i might get banned after I log in in Europe again?

Actually there's a chance you might not be able to buy things while in the US since your card address and your IP won't fall in line, and putting money on your Steam wallet won't allow you to buy things due to the different currencies (at least that's how it was a few months ago).

As Cloudius12 suggested, I would definitively contact Steam Support to have the situation solved. I would recommend doing so soon since Steam support can be slow to reply and it will likely be worst during the sales.

wilflare

Actually there's a chance you might not be able to buy things while in the US since your card address and your IP won't fall in line, and putting money on your Steam wallet won't allow you to buy things due to the diffeerence currencies (at least that's how it was a few months ago).

As Cloudius12 suggested, I would definitively contact Steam Support to have the situation solved. I would recommend doing so soon since Steam support can be slow to reply and it will likely be worst during the sales.

I faced a similar situation and contacted Steam Support.
From Singapore (currently in the US for a study trip)

Steam advised me to tag on "/?cc=sg"

My orders would not go through unless I put that tag on.

I presume you'll still be getting EU prices even though you are in the US during Christmas :/

So I mentioned it over in the Dishonored thread, but the Dunwall City Trials DLC is really, really fun. I'd definitely recommend it if you liked Dishonored and enjoy challenge map type gameplay.

louiedog

Again, down the road, when the keys are no longer available for free, why can't I trade my extra one for some cheap indie game? Again, i'm not going to ask for a 15 buck game for it, but I already bought the THQ Bundle, I already have Metro 2033, but I got another key on Facebook. Why can't I trade that away for some 75% off indie game down in the winter sale?

I'm not going to tell you what you should or should not do, but I was specifically referencing people who are trying to profit off of keys while they are freely available to anyone. Doing that instead of telling people where it's free is the act of a scumbag.

Hmmm, thanks for the answers guys.

How about I create a new account for the Americas and then gift everything to my euro account? >:) Does anyone know if Mastercards are tied to a billing address? Otherwise I'll just get Steam Cards, sounds like a plan.

Can't make myself new topics and though this is best thread to post this.

All EU steam users should go and sign this http://steamunpowered.eu/to-all-eu-citizens-please-help-us/ I was looking around www.steamprices.com saw the link and got interested. [quote="It's about EU Directive 97/7/EC:] “Whereas the free movement of goods and services affects not only the business sector but also private individuals; whereas it means that consumers should be able to have access to the goods and services of another Member State on the same terms as the population of that State;“[/quote]

Would be great to get more names under this, I know might be wishful thinking, but hey EU has done good things every now and then! This would greatly benefit anyone who buys games in steam, being able to buy from UK Steam Store if game is cheaper on there. Free market for consumers benefit also and not just companies. Will take only 2 or 3 minutes to sign, please take your time to do it. Because if you're gamer in EU you must have wondered why people in other member state get games cheaper then you from digital goods store.

Fight to right the wrong and make your backlog that much longer! :D

Edit: oh well, seems like I'm late with this! They have already send the letter, well lets hope something good turns out from it. :)

Milamber

Hmmm, thanks for the answers guys.

How about I create a new account for the Americas and then gift everything to my euro account? >:) Does anyone know if Mastercards are tied to a billing address? Otherwise I'll just get Steam Cards, sounds like a plan.

I had this exact problem with Steam over this. Resolved but annoying...

Steam account created in Philippines. Credit card is Philippine based. My Steam store is Asia region locked.

Move to France. Credit card is still Philippine based. Account locked! Steam suggests I use the "/?cc=ph" address to buy my stuff. My Steam store is still Asia region locked.

Move to UK. Buy a prepaid VISA card in UK to use on Steam. Account locked! Steam suggests I use the "/?cc=uk" address to buy my stuff. My Steam store is now UK region locked.

Move to the Middle East. Credit card is still UK based. Account locked! Steam suggests I use the "/?cc=uk" address to buy my stuff. My Steam store is still UK region locked.

Buy a prepaid VISA card in ME later to use on Steam. Account locked! Steam suggests I use the "/?cc=ae" address to buy my stuff. My Steam store is now ME region locked.

Therefore, your Store region pricing is completely based on your CC info and the web address used or else Account lock until you resolve it with the Steam CS team.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
But why should I give away my extra Humble Bundle for Android 3 key, containing World of Goo, Anomaly, Osmos, and EDGE (Games I already had anyway but I bought the Bundle anyway because I buy all Humble bundles)? Sure, I'm not going to ask for a full priced game for it, but a 2,50 game?

[anecdote excised]

If there's nothing questionable about this practice, then why shouldn't you get the full value of the game? Why is it now worth less money than before it was bundled or given away for free?

Nabs

*note its still on the 1.02 patch and the consoles are on the 1.7 patch Also it does not have the extra dlc cast available for purchase yet. Your call if you wish to nab it early and wait on these.

The latest patch that is in microsoft cert limbo pushes it up to 1.06 or something like that.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
If there's nothing questionable about this practice, then why shouldn't you get the full value of the game? Why is it now worth less money than before it was bundled or given away for free?

Because it was made available for free/really cheap and you should have gotten it before. On the same hand, i'm not your servant and I shouldn't have to give you stuff for free even though I have it twice.

Sure, I can easily give it to somebody if I so desire, which I usually do, but why can't we trade things? If you're willing to pay full price, then just buy the game from Steam, why would you buy it from me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom